PDA

View Full Version : May! First Pokemon Contest Challenge! Synopsis

Zak
25th July 2003, 06:43 PM
311: May! First Pokemon Contest Challenge!

After all that training with Beautifly for the Slateport Pokemon Contest, May is determined to get there in time, as they hurry through Slateport City to get there on time. Out of breath, May shows the counter lady her Contest Pass, and she scans it, and gets accepted in! She decides to go for the Beauty Contest, since that’s what Beautifly is best at. Suddenly, Ash’s stomach growls, so they decide to go out to eat in the meantime.
J&J then enter the contest house, excited to enter with Dustox. They show the lady their Contest Pass, but unfortunately she can’t accept them, because they came in a few minutes too late. They all give sighs of dismay, and go outside and sit on the bench to plan their next move… suddenly, they see a Frisbee fly by, and a Poochyena jumping and catching it! Then, its trainer congratulates it, and gives it a few PokeBlocks. J&J then decide that PokeBlocks are probably the answer…
As the first part of the Beauty Contest starts, the hostess introduces the three judges: The mayor, a small man, and Slateport’s Joy. Meanwhile, May and co. are sitting in the waiting room, watching this on the screen, waiting for her turn. She seems really nervous, but Ash, Brock, and Masato help her feel more confident and ease her on. Unfortunately, Shuu has been eavesdropping…
The Contest begins, and as the first members make their appearance, Shroomish, Wingull, Azurill, Bellossom, etc., those seem to go by pretty fast for May… but then, she gets a surprise, and sees that the next person to make their appearance is her rival Shuu! He does a pose as he sends out Roselia, and starts off with a Petal Dance, as the opening fireworks, which looks pretty cool, and impresses them a lot. Then, he has it use a combination of Stun Spore and Magical Leaf, which impresses them even more, since Roselia looks cool in the middle of all that (even May gets impressed)! Finally, he finishes his turn off with another fireworks-like Petal Dance, and then he pops them with a Magical Leaf, which gets greater applause and cheers than ever! Then, the hostess asks the judges for their ratings out of 10: The mayor gives a 9.8, the small man gives a 9.9, and Joy gives a 9.7. Shuu’s total average so far is 29.4/30. Then she interviews them to hear their comments: Joy says he has a clever combination, the small man said it all looked beautiful, and the mayor said that he really did use excellent strategies to make it that far, but not quite perfect. This gets May even more nervous and determined to beat Shuu.
Meanwhile, J&J are pulling some sort of scam to collect PokeBlocks, and holding out boxes and signs that say that it’s like some sort of charity drive for PokeBlocks. They don’t seem very successful, but then, a tiny old man with a cane approaches them, and he seems to be interested in what they’re doing. They explain, and he decides to help them out…
Shuu returns to the waiting room until the next stage starts, and greets May, noticing she seems to be a little nervous he wishes her luck. Then, they continue watching on the screen as the hostess introduces the next person: A tall, blond, mysterious looking trainer named Robert, and he’s using a beautiful Milotic! He has it use a Safeguard, giving it a beautiful green glow, as the judges and audience watch in amazement and cheer. Then Ash seems interested, so they creep into the room to get a closer look. Milotic starts wagging its tail, and this seems to get a lot of applause, because it makes it look even more beautiful and friendly, and everyone seems to love it. Beautifly, who is also watching, looks a little jealous of Milotic. Meanwhile, J&J are out there, listening to old man’s advice, as James takes notes and writes down what he says, but it doesn’t seem that interesting, since Jessie looks bored…
Finally, May and Beautifly are up! May is overly nervous though, as she slowly walks up, with a worried face. She takes a deep breath, and decides to just pay attention, pretend their not there, and try to look cool instead of nervous. Then, she manages to pull herself together, and throws the Pokeball hard to send out Beautifly… so hard, that she trips. A few people laugh, and the judges don’t look too thrilled. The hostess helps her up, and she just laughs and says that that was part of the show. Beautifly comes out, and it certainly looks beautiful, and gets a lot of applause. May starts with showing off it’s Frisbee talents: May throws the Frisbee, Beautifly from far away uses it’s String Shot to whip it right back at her directly. They keep doing this for a while, and they seem to be rocking the hall with applause, as they get faster and faster, and the judges look impressed. Now they decide to try a different technique. May throws the Frisbee, and this time Beautifly attempts to send it back at her with a Gust. She manages to touch it, and fumble with it for a while and go crazy, but luckily she manages to save it before it hits the ground… but it still looked rather geeky. Well, she still has a chance, so she decides to end with something special: Beautifly uses Silver Wind, then spins to make it stronger and less nervous! A great pillar of Silver Wind stands in the middle of the stage, and now the cheers start to come on. This seemed to pay up for all that embarrassment, since people seem to really like it. Then, it gets time for the judges to rate her: Joy gives 8.1, the mayor gives 8.3, and the small man gives 8.5. May’s total is 24.9. Dissapointed, she goes back to the waiting room… she didn’t win this stage, but oh well. Suddenly, to her surprise, Shuu comes in, and gives her a rose, to help cheer her up. She blushes, thanks him, and they decide to make this a friendly rivalry, but no one is going easy on anyone. Meanwhile, that man is still giving J&J his “important” lecture on advice to get PokeBlocks, and they seem to be drifting off, but James is still taking it all down…
Next, the hostess announces the next stage of the contest: Battling. On the screen the trainer’s profiles rearrange themselves into brackets… and apparently, May has to battle Shuu! They stare at each other for a moment, and then agree to make this a fair battle, and not taunt, but not go easy on one another.
The rules of this battle have one small difference… instead of battling until someone faints, they have a 5 minute time limit, and whoever has more energy at the end wins, and if someone faints in the middle the automatically win, obviously. Roselia and Beautifly come out, Roselia starts with a Magical Leaf, and Beautifly tries to fend them off with a Gust. It manages to fend a few off, but then it runs out of energy for it, and the leaves hit it. Beautifly loses about 20% of its energy. Roselia then uses a Stun Spore, and Beautifly seems unaffected! Thinking quickly, Beautifly uses a String Shot, but another Magical Leaf from Roselia cuts the String, and hurts Beautifly more. Now, May loses another 20%, and has about 60% of her energy left. May decides to try her luck with Silver Wind, but Roselia kinda cancels it out with a Petal Dance. Just as the Petals are about to hit Beautifly, Beautifly manages to barely dodge it, and not get hurt at all.
They notice that the time is half up, as Roselia starts to gather energy for a Solar Beam. Beautifly aims a String Shot right at it from a distance… and JUST when the attack is about to connect, Roselia fires the Solar Beam, which injures Beautifly a lot, making it faint. May desperately tries to urge it to get up, but the judges all hold up big X’s. The hostess declares Shuu the winner!
May is very disappointed, as she goes back to the waiting room, crying. Ash and co. try and comfort her, but she seems like she was so intent on winning the contest, she practiced SO hard with Beautifly… and now it’s over. She lost. Ash tries to tell her she’s making a big deal over nothing, but she’s depressed. Suddenly, on the screen, Shuu is about to battle in his next round, so May seems interested and decides to watch. Apparently, to Shuu’s luck, he has to face that Robert dude with the Milotic! Milotic starts with Iron Tail, and Roselia counters with Magical Leaf. Then, Milotic uses a Twister, sending the leaves flying, as they fall and fail to hit Milotic…
Eventually, time runs out, and Robert has about 80% of its energy left, and Shuu has 20%, so the victory goes to Robert. Surprised, May decides to wait for Shuu in the waiting room, and comfort him…
Meanwhile, the old man is STILL lecturing J&J, Jessie and Meowth have fallen asleep with Wobbuffet, but James is still working hard taking notes…
Shuu passes by, May congratulates him on his good job, and they both wish each other good luck in future contests! But Shuu gives her advice to try the Normal Rank contest first.
The old man is still giving his complex lecture, now even James seems to be half asleep while taking the notes. Eventually, he just stops, and collapses. But the boring old man, too into this PokeBlock business, continues drawling on…

Discuss, ask questions, etc :)

~Zak

Rocketboy
25th July 2003, 06:50 PM
I can't believe May lost! :( The part with Team Rocket was funny though! :D Great summary Zak!

JazzJazz
26th July 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Rocketboy
I can't believe May lost!

Why not? It was her first contest...

Totodilemew
26th July 2003, 08:57 AM
I expected her to lose, I mean a freaking Milotic was there. How does Milotic sound?

Mikey
26th July 2003, 09:02 AM
It has an elegant lady like oice. "Milllll" kis really all it said. Great guide Zak! I finished myn b4 you though so I win!:P HAHA JK

Totodilemew
26th July 2003, 09:28 AM
I was hoping it would sound like it does in the game...that really sounds like a Sea Serpant.

Laz-E-Boy
26th July 2003, 09:30 AM
Sounds pretty good.

So how many contests are left? Is it 3?

Mikey
26th July 2003, 11:37 AM
There is no set limit on the contests. May will have to compete in the beauty contest Normal rank again, win, then head on to the others.

AKA Pokemon Fan
26th July 2003, 03:58 PM
This looks like a really great episode! But then most of the AG ones look great.:yes:

Anyway a few comments:

That "blond lady" as she was called by people who saw the preview turns out to be a man with really long hair and a masculine name like Robert?!:o

Shuu looks a lot better when he gives a genuine smile instead of that arrogant smirk.

I expected May to lose but not to Shuu. And poor little Roselia against that titanic Milotic. :o

A most interesting role for Team Rocket in this episode.:D

Gaborn
26th July 2003, 06:39 PM
I was impressed with the big silver wind that Beautifly was able to produce. May really did a good job training it for the contest, even if they didn't win on their first try. Shuu seems like a much better rival than some of the ones Ash has had *cough*Casey*cough.

She will probably do much better in Normal and Super than she did at the Hyper house. Frankly, I was amazed she was able to do so well in an advanced contest like that.

Gravy
27th July 2003, 05:37 AM
Well...first of all, I'm kinda disappointed that Jessie didn't get a chance to enter Dustox. I'd have liked to see how it would have turned out. Oh well, theres always the normal rank (although theres not exactly a good chance of Dustox winning methinks :P)

Meh, I hate it when pokemon that have an advantage over the opposing pokemon lose like that, but then again Roselia was well trained. And if Haruka can put up a good fight against a highly trained Roselia with her newly evolved Beautifly, she can't be as bad a trainer as we all think...well, me excluded of course :yes:

I have a feeling we're going to see this 'Robet' guy pop up again sometime in the future. I kinda think of him as the Lance of pkmn contests :rolleyes:

Hanada Tattsu
27th July 2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that summary! It really sounds good!

May lost, I thought she would, she is too immature, and her Beautifly recently evolved. Milotic is a bit too advanced, but I can't believe Shuu lost to it.

TR was funny, keep it up!

Potato Dude
4th August 2003, 11:40 AM
I though contests were the alternative to battling? I mean, if you bust loose with a fugly cretin like Golbat, you could sweep half the points anyway! What sense does that make? Isn't it a beauty contest and not a power contest?

AKA Pokemon Fan
4th August 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Potato Dude
I though contests were the alternative to battling? I mean, if you bust loose with a fugly cretin like Golbat, you could sweep half the points anyway! What sense does that make? Isn't it a beauty contest and not a power contest?
They're intermixed with battling, and you need points in everything to win. The battles are judged as well.

Also, unlike other matches, the battles are timed. That phrase "No Time Limit" that has been said before Ash's matches for years now finalyl makes sense.:yes: I was beginning to think no matches had time limits.

Mikey
4th August 2003, 12:51 PM
Also, when battling in the contests, the Pokemon are to supposed to show off attacks of the contest they are in. I.E Roselia using magical leaf and petal dance on Beautifly because its in a beauty contest. You scores more points for doing it.

And May is not immature. Why do people bash her? She is my favorite character in the anime and has more personality then Misty ever did. I know most people want Misty back, but I'd rather they keep May for awhile. May is an overall better character then Misty. And for those shippers who think Ash and Misty have something going on and that has to make her return, they are like 13 years old. Nothing is going to happen for a while, so they could meet up later. Keep May, she's spunky, fresh, and not stale like Misty had become. :p

AKA Pokemon Fan
4th August 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
And May is not immature. Why do people bash her? She is my favorite character in the anime and has more personality then Misty ever did. I know most people want Misty back, but I'd rather they keep May for awhile. May is an overall better character then Misty. And for those shippers who think Ash and Misty have something going on and that has to make her return, they are like 13 years old. Nothing is going to happen for a while, so they could meet up later. Keep May, she's spunky, fresh, and not stale like Misty had become. :p
I think that seperating Ash and Misty and bringing in May was a great way to get the characters to grow. Ash is becoming more and more self-reliant and mature, while Misty is getting some much needed self-esteem as she proves herself again and again in managing the gym and even overcomes some of her age-old fears (i.e Gyarados). Ash is also finding himself in the role of a teacher and role model for both May and Masato, something he hasn't had a chance to be much in the past.

May is a little immature but that's a part of her personality. She's naive and hilariously clumsy but in a cute and charming way, a bit like a female Ash as many have noted. She's also quite feminine, something tomboyish Misty often tried for but couldn't really pull off. She is also a character with a lot fo room to easily grow. Already she has changed a lot from who she was when she first was introduced. She's stronger, understands Pokemon and the world more now, and has gained confidence and maturity through training. Plus she has a bigger dream now then simply travelling. :)

I love May!:D

Gravy
4th August 2003, 02:54 PM
Mikey and AKA, you both have great taste :yes:
You know, it really is refreshing to see how some realise how much potential Haruka-chan has, and how she advances the anime in more ways than Misty ever did. Not to mention how unbearably cute she is ^_^ *goes starry-eyed*

As I've said many times, and as Mikey also pointed out, Misty's character has become 'stale' ever since mid-Johto, and has contributed less and less to the plot (apart from introducing 2 new pokemon). IMHO, she has become more and more Tracy-like, but I think many people fail to see this because she has been around since the begining, at which time her personality was at at its highest, and so most of us have gained a certain 'respect' for her, especially the shippers. But, looking over the last season or two, Misty is as much a Tracy as...well, Tracy. A little less quiet than Tracy however, but still a Tracy.

I would say something about Haruka-chan, but AKA kinda summed it all up for us anyways ^_^0

Hanada Tattsu
25th August 2003, 11:09 AM
*mumblessomethingunderhisnose*

Well, I think now that Misty may return *YES* we all get what we want. May fans get May, and Misty fans, like myself, get Misty. So we'll all be happy.