PDA

View Full Version : Shooter Love?

SmoothCriminal
26th July 2003, 01:03 AM
No not FPS's, I'm talking about shmups, you remember those right? The little space ship trying to blow up enormus amounts of enemys with bullets flying everywhere and huge bosses and such. The shmups in the US, and pretty much everywhere besides Japan has been lacking. The Dreamcast had prettymuch the last of the domestic releases until Atari picked of Ikaruga(kickass game BTW) and that one company brought over gunbird and shikigami no shiro as mobile light fore 1 and 2. But anyway there has been a bit of a drought in Japan as well, then they released DoDonPachi: Dai-oujou. This game is INSANE. The sheer amount of bullets onscreen is crazy!#@!# It is so much fun though. Star Soldier 2 just came out for GC and shikigami no shiro 2 is too. Gradius V and R-Type Final are headed towards the PS2 and the awesome game Border Down is coming out for the beloved Dreamcast. Here are some videos for DoDonPachi: Dai-oujou: http://arika.co.jp/movie

BTW go out and buy Ikaruga for GC so other companies will bring shmups stateside. Right now its selling like ****. ;_;

Strider
26th July 2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah, arcade type shooters are great. I haven't played any of the newer ones like Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, though.. the most recent shooter I've played is Ikaruga.

Besides that, I've mostly played older shooters, such as the Gradius series, Thunder Cross series, R-Type series, Salamander series, Parodius series, Aero Fighters series, Trigon, XEXEX, Raiden, Gaiares and Zero Wing. There might have been others, but I can't remember at the moment.

One of my good favorites would have to be Gradius III. Arcade version is pretty challenging, unlike the Super NES version. Most of the useful weapons that were in the SNES version are gone in the arcade, such as the Revolving Option and the Hawk Wind missles.. but still great nonetheless.

Among one of my favorites would have to be the Thunder Cross series. Good challenge, but doesn't take long to beat with some persistence.

And then there's R-Type Leo. Another of my top favorites, albeit pretty tough, especially the final levels. Gets very insane there moreso than the earlier levels.

But yeah.. it's a shame those arcades didn't make it here... :\

Gengachu
31st July 2003, 08:21 AM
I like old school shooters, but I haven't played that many, and I'm not too familiar with many of the popular series. Anyway, my favorites are Life Force, GunNac, and Dragon Spirit, all for NES. Life Force is pretty much a standard shooter, but the levels are cool, and the music is great. GunNac is a crazy Japanese game. Its enemies include rabbits that throw carrots at you. It has cool power ups, too. In Dragon Spirit you control a dragon. The game has normal power ups, but it also has powerups which lets your dragon have more than one head. I kinda want to get Ikaruga, but I just got my Cube and the only game I have is Super Mario Sunshine, so I want to get something I'm sure I'd like first.