PDA

View Full Version : Trivia: Can you win?

hobbs
26th July 2003, 06:02 PM
I bet you haven't seen one of these in a long time; I give you a senario and you figure out how in the world to pull off a win.

Your coinflips come out like this: heads, tails, h, t, h, t, etc.

Your opponet flips all heads.

To make matters worse, you're using this completly random draft deck with random boosters from the bargin bin.

Pokemon: 15
3 Brock's Rhyorn
1 Brock's Rhydon
2 Brock's Vulpix [Gym Heroes]
2 Brock's Nintales
2 Brock's Mankey Lv. 12
1 Erika's Dratini
1 Rocket's Hitmonchan
1 Magmar
1 Dark Dragonite
1 Wigglytuff [Jungle]

[b]Trainers: 8
2 Recycle
1 Item Finder
1 Devolution Spray
1 Bill
1 Digger
1 Pokedex
1 Energy Removal

Energy: 17
8 Fire Energy
8 Fighting Energy

The game's tied at one prize a peice. It's your turn.

Your hand:
1 Digger, 2 Recycle,1 Bill, 1 Fighting Energy, and 1 Fire Energy.

Your Bench:
Brock's Vulpix; 0 Energy; 3 Damage

Erika's Dratini; 0 Energy; 0 Damage

Magmar; 0 Energy; 3 Damage

Brock's Rhydon; 1 Fighting Energy; 0 Damage

Brock's Ninetails; 2 Fighting Energy; 2 Damage (Just attached Dark Golbat this turn)

Your Active:
Brock's Mankey; 1 Fighting Energy; 3 Damage

Opponet's Active:
Dark Raichu; 3 Lighting Energy, 1 Metal Energy; 2 Damage.

Opponet's Bench:
None

You've already attached your energy for the turn and your entire deck is in the discard. If your opponet's alowed to go, she'll use Dark Raichu's "Suprise Thunder", but won't do anything else.

Now, what do you do?

Good luck.

Sorry, go w/ this version. I had to edit it a few times.

Roarkiller
27th July 2003, 04:12 AM
Would be nice if u could tell us if ur using the new rules or the old. The new rulings affect metal, and retreating, if any is needed.

Water Pokemon Master
27th July 2003, 02:25 PM
Would be nice if u could tell us if ur using the new rules or the old. The new rulings affect metal, and retreating, if any is needed.

and the Pokemon's levels, such as Brock's Mankey. Is it the Gym Heroes Level 10 or 12?

hobbs
27th July 2003, 07:27 PM
Oh, duh.
All the old rules apply. None of that new mumbo-jumbo.

Also, Brock's Mankey has already been specified at level 12. It's listed in the deck list. And Brock's Ryhorn is Lv. 29 (Gym Heroes); however, that really shouldn't matter. There's only one of all the others or they've allready been specified.

Water Pokemon Master
28th July 2003, 01:27 AM
I CANT FIGURE IT OUT!!!! I have researched and everything for literally four hours straight (1 bathroom break). Is there even a way? If only you could get Brock's Rhydon into the discard pile without having your opponent draw a prize, you could attach it to Ninetails and kill Raichu. There are many other factors that if were changed, would allow me to figure this out. If anyone is going to try and figure this out, remember that Brock's Rhydon power allows you to prevent damage to your Benched Pokémon by letting it take 10 of that damage. Hobbs, is there even a way? My head is about to explode!!! If there is, can you give us a hint?

Roarkiller
28th July 2003, 05:09 AM
No, no hints pls. Wheres mthe fun in that? :D

Anyway, i never did rally play any GH/GC cards, so ill have to pop over to pokeschool first. Shouldnt be too hard for a me :wave:

*reserves this post for answer*

hobbs
28th July 2003, 05:53 PM
Ack, I just realized another mistake to my edit. The Magmar should be in the discard. However, you can play it out with the Magmar on the bench. (Heck, it makes it easier). But if you want more of a challenge, then discard him.

And, yes, there is a way to win. You just have to look up a couple of obscure rulings.

Roarkiller, you can skip over this. Hint: Your opponet attacking you is inevitable.

Water Pokemon Master
28th July 2003, 10:37 PM
I am going to try and figure it out again now that Magmar is in the discard. I did not read the hint, either. My spitits have been lifted and I shall try and figure this out!

The Muffin Man
28th July 2003, 11:07 PM
My only guess is..:
Play 1 Recycle, to get back your Devo spray. Then, end your turn. Next, use Rhydons power to divert all damage to Brocks Rhydon. Then, since it will have 80 HP left. Add your energy top Ninetales, play Devo Spray and take back Rhydon, then place Rhydon on Ninetails and upgrade it, adding the energy. Use Digger to do 10 damage to your Rhydon and then Recycle to grab Digger back., then end your turn. Once again, take 20 damage for the Mankeys, leaving you with 40. Add the final energy, use the Digger to do another 10 damage to Rhydon, BUT wasting your LAST tails, attack with Lariat, and win the game. Raichu takes 120 damage since Lariat will get heads. VERY Tricky, but I think that's it.

Water Pokemon Master
29th July 2003, 12:12 AM
Oh my gosh, I am a total idiot! Duh! All your cards are in the discard. That means you can get practically get any card from your deck by recycling for it. That is what I had overlooked. Anyways, here is one way to win:

1. Use Recycle, flip heads, and get Wigglytuff from your discard pile on your deck.
2. Discard Dark Golbat from Brock's Ninetails.
3. Retreat Brock's Mankey and send out Brock's Ninetails.
3. Let Dark Raichu attack for 20 damage to Brock's Ninetails, and 10 damage to all the Benched Pokemon (Metal Energy says, "If the Pokemon Metal Energy is attached to isn't Metal, whenever it damages a Pokemon, reduce that damage by 10.

Magmar - 30 HP
Brock's Vulpix - 10 HP (uses Brock's Rhydon's Poke-Power)
Erika's Dratini - 30 HP
Brock's Rhydon - 60 HP (takes 20 damage from Poke-Power)
Brock's Ninetails – 30 HP
Brock's Mankey - 10 HP (uses Brock's Rhydon's Poke-Power)

5. Draw Wigglytuff.
6. Attach it to Brock's Ninetails.
7. Attach Fighting energy to Wigglytuff.
8. Do the Wave! 50 damage to Dark Raichu (reduced by 10 because of Metal Energy)
9. Dark Raichu is knocked out, you draw the last prize, you win the game!

I could be wrong on something, but I think this will work.

Water Pokemon Master
29th July 2003, 12:17 AM
Play 1 Recycle, to get back your Devo spray. Then, end your turn. Next, use Rhydons power to divert all damage to Brocks Rhydon. Then, since it will have 80 HP left. Add your energy top Ninetales, play Devo Spray and take back Rhydon, then place Rhydon on Ninetails and upgrade it, adding the energy. Use Digger to do 10 damage to your Rhydon and then Recycle to grab Digger back., then end your turn. Once again, take 20 damage for the Mankeys, leaving you with 40. Add the final energy, use the Digger to do another 10 damage to Rhydon, BUT wasting your LAST tails, attack with Lariat, and win the game. Raichu takes 120 damage since Lariat will get heads. VERY Tricky, but I think that's it.

If you divert all the damage to Brock's Rhydon on your first turn, it will only have 20 HP left. Then, on the second turn, many of your Benched will faint. Also, when you use recycle, the card goes on top of your deck, not into your hand. In other words, your entire strategy is invalid.

The Muffin Man
29th July 2003, 12:27 AM
*Sighs**shakes head*No, Actually. if you use Recycle, it goes back into your deck, PREVENTING YOU FROM DECKING.

Furthermore, if you Devo it the damage comes off. Even if it doesn't you have a healtier Rhydon.

and Recycle is trainers I believe.

Roarkiller
29th July 2003, 06:23 AM
I read the hint :D but dont worry, it didnt help me one bit. That part was obvious. Didnt read any of the above suggested answers either. Sorry for not posting an answer yet, ill do it later.

hobbs
29th July 2003, 02:36 PM
Nicely done, WPM. You didn't have to discard the Dark Golbat, but works either way.

If you had discarded Magmar, then you also had to play the Digger (get tails). Then, play the recycle for the energy removal. Use Bill to fetch ER and remove the Metal Energy.

Or use the recycle for a basic pokemon and put it down.

Finally, do the wave for the kill.

Good luck to those who haven't solved it yet.