PDA

View Full Version : The Pains Of Recoloring Pokémon Sprites...

Darkgel
29th July 2003, 03:25 AM
Hi there!

I was just wondering about how many people request Pokémon in really dark or really light colors at the request threads.

And you just can't get it right!

Here attached is an example with Drowzee.

It goes like this:

1.- The All Light example (a.k.a. The Naked Drowzee example. Why? Because it looks naked!). The all-light example can pass by greatly, BUT, the lightest color still has to be the lightest shade, SO, the sprite ends up being not light at all.

2.- The All Dark example. (And in this one, it also gives a naked impression. Why? I dunno.) In this one, as the darker shade goes after, you end up, again, with a rather lighter sprite than you want.

These 2 examples can be avoided using very light/dark shades for all the sprite, I know.

3.- The original sprite. Perfect.

4.- Inverted. Perfect.

5.- The sprite at the most right part. The Tanned Drowzee. It uses mostly bland colors, and it still gives a dark impression. It's perfect!

So, with Drowzee, we succeeded. The sprite was recolorable(is that a word?) after all.

BUT, there are some other examples, I'll cover them later. And there you'll see how hard can recoloring get to be.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Darkgel
29th July 2003, 03:30 AM
Now, the Girafarig example...

It goes:

1.- All light - Oh gods no. The edges were colored with the same dark colors we're trying to make light. This can be fixed with a little pixel-by-pixel recoloring of the edges, which makes it: BOOOOORING.

Plus, the hooves were touched. It's not that hard to fix, but it adds stress to the job. Most lazy spriters leave the job like this. Ack.

2.- All dark - Success! It looks good. Because we didn't recolor the edges.

3.- Original sprite. You, sprite, are a pain to do in all-light.

So, Girafarig can be recolored, but not all-light, like the Angel sprites some people request.

Bye-bye, angel giraffe.

Darkgel
29th July 2003, 03:39 AM
This was supposed to be a rant thread, and I still don't rant...

UNTIL NOW.

Corsola. A friend did ask me for a pure white Corsola. She suggested I used the brightest shade of white on most of the sprite.

It goes:

1.- The all dark. It looks good.

2.- The request by my friend. OH NO. There is a light shade I couldn't elliminate. I suggested using the same shade of white on it, but my friend thought otherwise.

"I want it all shiny and pretty, try to do that shade lighter!"

There was no use trying to explain there was no lighter shade that could be humanly visible.

She got mad at me and tried to find another person who could fulfill her request.

She ended up with a light gray Corsola.

"I wanted it white, dammit!"

3.- The original sprite. Damn you, Corsola.

I wasted 1 hour of my life with a stubborn friend annoying me to death just because of a damn recolor of Corsola.

That is my definition of recolor pain.

Now I ask you, the ones who do requests in your threads near here: Have you ever been tortured by a request by other people?

Vent your frustration here.

*puts the coffee machine on*

Dragonfree
29th July 2003, 06:35 AM
Never anything like that... just once when everyone was requesting HUUUUUGE ammounts of rainbow sprites at my own forums (I can't do a rainbow effect, so my rainbow sprites are done pixel by pixel) and I ended up blocking rainbow requests because it was driving me crazy. That's all, otherwise I just do what I'm asked to do and don't have a problem with it...

Darkgel
29th July 2003, 01:32 PM
Lucky you.

Once someone asked me to turn Lugia into a Blue eyes White Dragon.

Oh. My. God. IMPOSSIBLE!