PDA

View Full Version : <Poll> Wordrush.

Jay
31st July 2003, 01:36 AM
[1] If you could search for a word now that you never knew the meaning to, what would that word be? If you can't think of one then just search around for one you don't know.

[2] Do you prefer to replace university/college-level words with the more simple, easy ones to make yourself sound more professional?

[3] If you had to ditch one of your five senses (see / hear / taste / touch / smell), which one would you best live without and why?

~*~

[1] Hmm. lilial \Lil"i*al\ (l[i^]l"[i^]*al), a. (Bot.) Having a general resemblance to lilies or to liliaceous plants.

[2] I often just type out university-level words whenever one pops into my mind. Though I only use those words excessively in essays and such.

[3] Smell or Taste. I think those would be the most easiest to live without. There isn't anything pleasant to smell, and if someone sprayed a bad odour you can't smell it, or if someone sprayed an excessive amount of fragrance emittance around the place you won't be able to smell that either. With taste, you can't taste the bad foods, but you can't taste the ones you like either. In my situation, I'd prefer to live without my taste sense. I couldn't stand to live without the others.

ILikePokemonP
31st July 2003, 01:44 AM
1. Indubitably. Adverb - In a manner or to a degree that could not be doubted. Sounds funny when those crows from The Simpsons say it.

2. Sometimes I'll just press alt + z for my pc dic. and look for a better word when I'm typing.

3. Seeing and hearing are very important, touch is handy, taste is yummy so that leaves smell. Since my nose is normally blocked due to having a cold I could live without smell much more easily than the other four senses.

AntiAsh Superstar
31st July 2003, 07:04 AM
1. Trammel - noun - a restriction or impediment to someone's freedom of action.

2. I'm at university, I'm supposed to use university level words. :P I suffer from a terrible defect caused by listening to every Bad Religion album in existence back to back one day, it's scarred me for life and I simply can no longer write or say a single sentence without using at least one word of three syllables or more. @_@;;;; (okay, that's a lie, I just prefer all those big, poetic words even if it is hard to slot them into everyday conversation)

3. Remove smell, it's not that bad a deal, and whilst I do believe it would have an effect on taste anyways, I'd much rather that than lose any of the other senses, they're rather important to me for one reason or another. :)