PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Chris W
1st August 2003, 09:34 AM
I'm starting a fanfic about a trainer on a quest to compete in a new league and I can't think of names for places to go in this league, HELP!!!

ThePhenom
1st August 2003, 12:13 PM
Try and create a theme for it. Colors have been done. Try naming cities and places after food and stuff. You're bound to find something you like. :P

RJdude
1st August 2003, 02:09 PM
Or, if you like being creative, you can scramble two words that tell you something about the town together, kinda like how they make Pokemon names. For example, there is a city in my fic called Leavine City. Now, the gym in leavine city uses Grass types, so I took two words that describe grass types in a way(leaf and vine) and put them together.

ThePhenom
1st August 2003, 06:02 PM
Yeah, the name of the city should be indicative of what kind of gym it has.

The Decapitated Mole
1st August 2003, 06:37 PM
That's not necessarily true.

The city name can be anything--Colors, Pokémon, food, elements, stones, etc. Pretty much just name it whatever you can think of.

o_0
jimm

ThePhenom
1st August 2003, 11:15 PM
I know it doesn't always have to be true, but having a water type gym in a city named after like a red color doesn't seem right to me. o.O

Mikey
1st August 2003, 11:32 PM
Ha, when I name a city it is usually the first thing that comes to mind. Here are some in my fic.

Vineal City- Though of vine cause city is covered in foliage
Noman Isle- It's surrounded by deadly rocks, so No Man comes there.
Cinder Town- Obvious
Kington Isle- King's Isle came to mind so I changed it a bit
Burgundy City- First Color that came to mind.

As you see I'm not the best in naming cities, just the first thing that pops into my head

The Rusted One
2nd August 2003, 12:11 AM
I don't think I'd go for something like food; but maybe that's because I immediately think of things like hamburgers and salads. Weird.

Anyway, why not something about spices? Or, perhaps, certain aspects of the environment - kinds of rock, different kinds of bodies of water, weather?

Andrew
2nd August 2003, 12:48 AM
Personally, I'd use a better method of taking something like... your surrounding street names, gives you a type of originality.

Heck I based a lot of my names of places in my fic on my old teachers lol. Or perhaps look through the yellow pages, and pick something like Restraunts and pick cool names out of that. *Shrugs*

Oh well, good luck.

Chris 2.1
2nd August 2003, 10:20 AM
Andy's right, IMHO, thats a sorta animeish approach :- /

I went to an Italian resturant the other night and got loadsa good names there, because for me, I like sorta...oriental sounding names.

In Monica's Army, we've had:

Altonia - the continent.

Isomare - First town

Itshubii - a nearby forest

Gritzwald - victorian-style city

and I have heaps more....

Neo-Xantios
8th August 2003, 08:55 AM
Put down whatever comes to your mind! Be as original as you can. What I hate seeing are town names which HAS to match the gym it hosts. Surely, that is not originality, IMO. Moreover, the "Town" or "City" at the end of names are getting old. At least, I don't put that at the end of every city in my retired trainer fic. People don't say Hong Kong City, Moscow City, Beijing City, etc in real life. But there are exceptions, aren't there, like NYC. Do whatever you think will benefit your fic.