PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial MTG discussion thread!

Venesectrix
1st August 2003, 01:21 PM
So, does anyone here play Magic The Gathering? If so, feel free to post your decks (which I will try to critique if you want), your opinions on 8th, the new card face, or anything else MTG-related. I've been playing since Ice Age came out (I think that's 6-7 years ago), and I only play casual mostly because my parents won't let me go to tourneys :mad: My decks include: monored sligh, U/W control, WW, monoblack control, G/R beats, monoblack Braids+Cemetery, and U/G madness.

IMO, the new card face sux (it's starting to look like yugioh with the stupid boxes everywhere, and red looks horrible), but the 8th edition foils look really cool. For example, on telepathy the little glyph things are foil, as well as the border and textbox, and on BoP everything but the actual bird itself is foil. It'd be even better if they kept the old cardface but used the new foils though. As for the set in general, I'm probably gonna end up buying it, even though they got rid of llanower elves, disenchant, counterspell, and a bunch of other old favorites. The good thing is glorious anthem now comes in a pre-con, so I won't have to buy a whole bunch of pax just to find one, and savannah lions are being reprinted so WW might soon be a viable t2 deck. Other nice reprints are Merchant Scroll, Blinding Angel, Rukh Egg, Lightning Hounds, Karma, 2-headed dragon, furnace of rath, grave pact (my Braids Cemetary deck's gonna own with this in multiplayer), diabolic tutor, the invasion taplands, etc.

The new rules changes in 8th are mostly minor (nothing as monumentous as the 6th edition changes), and I don't really mind them. I just hate the way they keep changing the lands, from the sideways t to the tap symbol to the big mana symbol things in the text box, and from land-forest to land-basic forest and the likes.

What do you guys think? Do you play MTG? What decks do you have? What opinions do you have on the "Core Set" and all the changes it brings with it?

Boy_of_Enders
1st August 2003, 02:33 PM
I've played M:TG since planeshift came along, but I collected the cards since mirage. I have a total of 43 decks (not all are put together right now. Just I have 43 decks that I can make at any given time). My most recent decks were a mono-white angel deck, black-red dragon deck, mono-red direct damage deck, mono-green swarm deck, and a few others.

My newest deck is a 5 color deck. Based around getting out transcendence and then sulfuric vortex and then a sterling grove (I think that’s what it’s called... makes it so enchantments cannot be the target of spells or abilities), that makes it so I cant die unless they whip out a card like nova cleric that destroys every enchantment in play.

Regarding the new card face in Core set, I don’t see what the big deal is to some people. The new card face looks fine, I don’t mind the look of the boxes and plus the card illustration is now bigger. Everyone loves bigger pictures. The rule changes are minor, not like it matters since I’m the only one in this whole damn area who knows the rules. They didn’t really nee to include the cards they removed anyway, those cards are everywhere for like 50 cents. Anyway, I’ll probably buy a box of core set packs like I do for every other set. Some people just don’t like change really I suppose.

Anyway here is a little info about me as a magic card player

Favorite Color: Black
First deck: 5 color artifact deck, which went the way of the dinosaurs once someone at my school got a shatterstorm card.
Newest deck: 5 color sliver / artifact / HaHa you can’t kill me! ……. Noooo not a nova cleric…deck
lowest life ever had: -163(with my newest deck.. heh… I still won)
Highest life ever had: 76
Must amount of damage ever inflicted: 1062(I’m not kidding either… it was fun.. used rofellos + upwelling + decree of justice + tribal unity. 18, 59/59 white angel tokens with flying.)
Deck used for most amount of time: green/black nightmare/phyrexian deck(someone stole it...)

I have no clue how many games I’ve lost/won so don’t ask.

PNT510
1st August 2003, 02:37 PM
I started playing magic around the time 6th edition came out. Pokemon was getting pretty boring so I decided to try something new, the game was fun, but due to lack of funds I stopped collecting around the time 7th edition came out.

Razola
1st August 2003, 04:06 PM
This belongs in TCG forum...

I think my best game was a 4 way Free for All I played with my WUG Sliver deck. The guy with the WU Control deck got land-screwed so I attack him with brood Sliver to get little 1/1s. Then I got out my Root Sliver and two Ward Slivers to protect me from the other decks (Red and Green) and Kept making more Slivers.

By end game I had over 100 Sliver Tokens and was at about 100+ life as well (TWO Essence Slivers). I then played with my opponents, bringing them each down to 1 life before killing them with my Sliver horde.

Systematic Revolution
4th August 2003, 11:12 PM
Well, if you look, I just posted the deck I use the most. My mono black reccursion. I've collected and played since the day 6th edition came out. I bought a tournament pack, I think. Pretty awesome stuff. But anyway.. *Copy/paste from B_O_E*

Favorite Color: Black
First deck: 5 Color deck made only of 6th edition cards from that tourney pack >_<
Newest deck: That Max Attax deck from Scourge. I bought it. But besides that, some B/G deck..
lowest life ever had: -5 or somethin' like that..
Highest life ever had: Somewhere around 200
Most amount of damage ever inflicted: 442
Deck used for most amount of time: My mono black recurrsion.

So thar ya be.

~SR