PDA

View Full Version : Which pokemon do you want to keep their Japanese names when R/S are translated?

HelpNeeded
26th December 2002, 03:12 AM
I'm thinking:

-Rozeria(seems obvious)
-Eneko
-Boomanda
-Bashamo
-Pochiena

I was just thinking of past pokemon games where nintendo did this, a la "Pikachu".

AKA Pokemon Fan
26th December 2002, 09:00 AM
Well I think its been confirmed that Latios, Latias, Groudon, and Kyorga (sp?) will be keeping their names. As for others, I wouldn't mind if they kept Bashamo, though I'm open to something better. Rozeria already sounds like an English name for a Pokemon, and Habunake might be good too. I like the translation of Raiboruto that says "Raibolt" and I hope they use that. I might be okay with them keeping Jucain as well, depending on how its pronounced.

But overall I won't be too upset over who's names they change or don't change as long as they don't make another name like Sneasel...

Azura Stardust
26th December 2002, 09:11 AM
IMO, the 3 most obvious would be Rezu/Reji-Ice, -Steel and -Rock ;) the Chiru in Rezuchiru means Steel, anyway... rezuaisu = rezu-ice, rezurooku = rezu-rock. Yeah. :) So it's basically the same thing. Just a little alteration (rezu/reji).

Roziera sounds very english already to me... =P english roses...

Chris 2.1
26th December 2002, 09:19 AM
Roziera sounds good, but i imagine it'll be spelt 'Rosiera'.

thats all for now, i have imagination block :)

Oddish17
26th December 2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
Well I think its been confirmed that Latios, Latias, Groudon, and Kyorga (sp?) will be keeping their names.

Those aren't the Japanese names, those are the English names. Well except for Kaiorga, which you spelled wrong. Kaiorga is the Japanese name, and Kyogre is the English name.

ace
26th December 2002, 01:46 PM
Kaiorgre should be Kaiorca,it sound way better.

Onaicul
26th December 2002, 02:41 PM
I think most of the legendaries should keep their Japanese names (with minor alterations) Jiraiichi, in keeping w/ tradition should kep virtually the same name (like myuu to mew, and serebii to celebi) the regi-'s definitely Latios-as are pretty much the same but Kyogre and Groudon are kind of changed they might want to change Rekkuuza then.
As for non legendaries then definately Rozeria, maybe Kekkingu (or just shorten it to kekking) raibolt for raiburotu sounds good too. I don't think any of the starter's evolutions should keep their names (again, tradition).

Dave
26th December 2002, 03:37 PM
I think Rozeria, Reji*, and thye legends. We already know that Ratiasu and Ratiosu are the same in both (Latias/Latios are just romanised spellings of the same names), as is Groudon. Another I think should, one that no one else has mentioned yet, is Mainan (sounds like minus, just like it should), Purusuru, on the other hand, will probably be changed slightly to be more like Plus. I also think Absol should be an english name.

Jon UKX
26th December 2002, 05:16 PM
I think Eneko will keep its japanese however Enekororo will properply be changed to Enekoro

thegastropod
26th December 2002, 07:39 PM
Rekkuzza and Wail-oh:D

Damian Silverblade
26th December 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by thegastropod
Rekkuzza and Wail-oh:D

Because we all know wail-oh is the japanesse name.

The japanesse name is HOERUO. Wail-oh is an attempt at translating that name to english (IE, not just romanizing the writing, but actually translating the words).

Meh.

Don't Run With Scizors
26th December 2002, 08:17 PM
"Furaaaiiiiiiiigonnnnn!"

Scythemantis
26th December 2002, 08:22 PM
Actually I think rozeria with a Z sounds a lot more like an english pokemon name.

I think tekkanin and Nukenin sound good, Tsuchinin might be spelled differently though.

Runatoon will probably stay the same and be Lunatoon. Unless it sounds too close to looney-tunes :P

The Rusted One
26th December 2002, 08:46 PM
Okay, they SHOULD have kept Kaiorga as it was, or just substituted a "y" for "ai" - Kyorga. It looks quite good, and the pronunciation would be the same...unless they change it to "Kee-orga", much like they changed "Suicune/kun" to "Swee-cune".
Rozeria to Roseria, eh, I don't mind...or just keeping the "z" would be okay; and odds are they won't change it.
Furaigon would, if kept, become Flygon; they won't, I think, keep "Hoeruo" because they didn't keep "Hoeruko", BUT they didn't change Ariados at all even though they changed Itomaru to Spinarak. I would hate it if Hoeruo was kept though.kekking) raibolt for raiburotu sounds good too.

"I don't think any of the starter's evolutions should keep their names (again, tradition)."

Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium are the Japanese names, so I don't really think there's any tradition. I would rather have different names for the starters from the Japanese ones, though. In fact, they probably can't really have "Bashamo" because they've already renamed Torchic; generally if they change a starter's Japanese name, they change its evolutions' as well.

Trip
26th December 2002, 09:01 PM
Well, here's Idiot Trip's personal opinion :D :

(All of these are opinions and spelling can change)

Rekkuuza --> Rexza
Deokishisu --> Deoxyr (did anyone else notice that its name sounds like the beginning of Deoxyribonucleic (sp?) Acid (better known as DNA) when Romanized?)
Rozeria --> Rozeria
Furaigon --> Flygon
Eneko --> Eneko
Mainan --> Mainan
Purasuru --> Pluser

Raiboruto WOULD NOT BE Raibolt (that would make THREE Rai beginnings)
Jiirachi WOULD NOT BE Jirachi
Nozupasu WOULD NOT BE Nosepass

BTW, I don't think they changed Suicune. It was originally Suikun, and if I remember correctly (and I may not), it was pronounced Su - Ee - Coon.

- Mark Ericson

The Muffin Man
26th December 2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by The Rusted One
Okay, they SHOULD have kept Kaiorga as it was, or just substituted a "y" for "ai" - Kyorga. It looks quite good, and the pronunciation would be the same...unless they change it to "Kee-orga", much like they changed "Suicune/kun" to "Swee-cune"
~It's Soo-EE-coon. Pronounce it fast. Like Gyarados isn't GEE-Yarodos. It sounds like Gyar-a-dos(as in MSDOS).

Rozeria to Roseria, eh, I don't mind...or just keeping the "z" would be okay; and odds are they won't change it.
Furaigon would, if kept, become Flygon; they won't, I think, keep "Hoeruo" because they didn't keep "Hoeruko", BUT they didn't change Ariados at all even though they changed Itomaru to Spinarak. I would hate it if Hoeruo was kept though.kekking) raibolt for raiburotu sounds good too.
~Um...it went from Ariadosu to Ariados. Just like Furaigon might be Flygon

"I don't think any of the starter's evolutions should keep their names (again, tradition)."

Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium are the Japanese names, so I don't really think there's any tradition. I would rather have different names for the starters from the Japanese ones, though. In fact, they probably can't really have "Bashamo" because they've already renamed Torchic; generally if they change a starter's Japanese name, they change its evolutions' as well.
~Umm, Chikorita, yes. But Beyreefu, and Meganiumu?

Azura Stardust
26th December 2002, 09:08 PM
Hmmmm I thought the english name for Hoeruko was wailmer? Or is that just a guess.... because Wailo or something like that would actually fit Hoeruko. ...

Imo Furaigon will probably changed a *little* (like someone said Flygon, or maybe not because its ground type? not flying? Still it flies :\) like perhaps to Fleigon or Fraigon... the -gon part prolly would be there, due to it being a draGON.... but then again maybe not :)

After thiking about it maybe Tekkanin etc might be kept - if you notice in-game the "Ninja" trainers use TekkaNIN, TsuchiNIN...

EDIT: And Mike, isn't it obvious that Beiriifu and Meganiamu are only romanized into Bayleef and Meganium? Therefore the name is technically the same, all they did was to romanize it.

The Rusted One
26th December 2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
~Umm, Chikorita, yes. But Beyreefu, and Meganiumu?

Well, that goes without saying. Perhaps I should also explain to the people here who don't speak Japanese how the alphabet and grammar works? It was Beiriifu, too.

And Azura, Hoeruko was changed to Wailmer, but I was talking about how they should also change Hoeruo, because someone suggested Wail-oh. I don't like the name, so I thought, "hmmm, I hope they're more original than that."

Darkgel
26th December 2002, 09:33 PM
My thoughts:

Purasuru = Pulsar
Mainan = Stay as Mainan
Hoeruo = Wailon
Rekkuza = Draycuse
I think Deokishizu should stay as it is.
Anopusu = Anopos (A as in Alex, the O on No and Pos as in Oppose)
Yamirami = Stay

Kari and Mewtwo
26th December 2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Trip

BTW, I don't think they changed Suicune. It was originally Suikun, and if I remember correctly (and I may not), it was pronounced Su - Ee - Coon.

- Mark Ericson

all the legendary dogs kept their japanese names. Raikou stayed as Raikou, Entei stayed as Entei, but Suikun was respelled as Suicune (perhaps to avoid mispronunciation?)

phantasmal
26th December 2002, 11:31 PM
Nobody has said anything about Pachiru. Personally, I'm hoping for something similar -- like, Patchie or Patchyru. Any thoughts?

The Rusted One
26th December 2002, 11:43 PM
"~It's Soo-EE-coon. Pronounce it fast. Like Gyarados isn't GEE-Yarodos. It sounds like Gyar-a-dos(as in MSDOS)."

They have actually changed the pronunciation of Suicune. I'm fully aware about how to pronounce the Japanese names, I mean, I speak Japanese so I'd have quite a well-founded understanding of Japanese phonetics, etc., but I have heard, on numerous occasions, it pronounced, (in English) "Sweecune". I hate it, and would rather have the it "Soo-ee-coon" as you say, but I have heard it, like in Stadium 2, as "Sweecune".

Almond
27th December 2002, 12:01 AM
I'd like for NONE of them to change.... --;; If it was meant to be Treecko, wouldn't the Japanese have named it that instead of Kimori?

The Muffin Man
27th December 2002, 01:11 AM
Rusted, it IS Soo-EE-coon. Swee-coon, like I said, is what it sounds like fast. Gee(as in gator) yar a dos(as in MSDOS) makes his name sound phonetic.

Almond - Those are their japanese names. We translate them to english because it's alot harder to say Shizereegar than it is to say something like Lobstar.

Almond
27th December 2002, 01:42 AM
--;; None of the Pokemon are named Sheezeregar.

Scythemantis
27th December 2002, 02:27 AM
He means Shizarigar and he is aware of how it's spelled. He's just saying sheezeereger as an example that their names are difficult to pronounce in english. I like the american names. Even the corny, stupid sounding ones. I like "gloom" a lot better than "Kusaihana" and "Muk" a little better than "Betobetaa". They're easier to remember when they actually have MEANING to you.

The Rusted One
27th December 2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
Rusted, it IS Soo-EE-coon. Swee-coon, like I said, is what it sounds like fast. Gee(as in gator) yar a dos(as in MSDOS) makes his name sound phonetic.

Almond - Those are their japanese names. We translate them to english because it's alot harder to say Shizereegar than it is to say something like Lobstar.

Nup. Sorry, but no matter how you say "Suicune", it never becomes "Sweecune", unless you purposefully manipulate it to do so. The "su" and the "i" are the same length; therefore, you cannot place a stress on either vowel. So, you can never get a sound as "swee", which places the stress on the "i" to make it the English "ee". If it was "Suiikun" in Japanese, then yes, a sound like "Swee" would be heard with the correct pronunciation, but it isn't a double "i" sound, so "swee" will never come into it, NO MATTER how fast it is said.

tenchi
27th December 2002, 09:07 AM
I like the name bashaamo!

Mute
27th December 2002, 12:39 PM
I would think that Kuchiito & Furaigon's names shouldn't be changed; at least not much. With Kuchiito, they could take away the double i, but I think it should be left in. Of course, due to pronounciation issues, it could be changed entirely. As for Furaigon, I see little need to change it. If they did, they might change it to Furygon, but that's too similar to Porygon, so it would make more sense if they left it as is.

Scythemantis
27th December 2002, 02:31 PM
Maybe Furagon.

Jaffa
27th December 2002, 05:00 PM
I've always known suicune as 'sway-soon' (It sounds more flowing, like water...), then again... I often mispronounce names e.g. 'Loo-jee-a' for Lugia (Loo-gee-a doesn't sound as good...)
'lie-a-tas' and 'lie-a-tos' for Latias and Latios (Both of which are easier to say than La-tee-as and La-tee-os).

Mainan stays... Plusan (ploo-san) maybe?
Jucain - Geckreen (Gecko/evergreen)
Torobiusu - Palmana (Palm/Banana)
Pachiiru - Pandizz
Banebu - Spork!

I have mental block... might talk later...