PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Cat Returns

Roarkiller
26th December 2002, 04:37 AM
Juz watched the movie "The Cat Returns", and glad to say i wasnt disappointed, although i did find it a tad too fast. Juz a bit more development would make it perfect.

Anyone still feeling jealous?

Anyway, a tiny bit of spoiler alert, im posting the review. But spoilers never hurt me b4, dunno bout u guyz, but here it is anyway.

----------

The story opens with Haru's alarm clock going off and Haru trying to sleep in. She gets up soon after though, after remembering about school, and rushes to get ready (and a little vanity-checking). Her mother told her to have breakfast first but Haru couldnt spare the time. Her mother then tried to lure her to eat by biting into her own bread, saying how delicious it was, with Haru jumping all the time trying to resist from eating.

The day continues as for normal, until Haru saved a cat from being run over by a truck. Astonishingly, the cat was later seen standing on 2 legs and brushing itself clean. Then it thanked Haru for saving it. Correction, it SPOKE to Haru about her saving it. And thus follows a string of events caused by the cat's (he's a prince) seriously naive and short-sighted father.

Plus-points
Damn, this movie has more comedy than the other ghibli movies. And Haru being really (I mean really) naive makes it worse. Muta is juz so good to watch. And there's the Baron, of course. Music-wise, the these song is really great. One thing though; i didn't see the theme song title in the soundtrack. Weird...

Also, the ending doesn't seem as rushy as past movies. That's an improvement at least.

Minus points
If u've watched Mimi wo Sumaseba, you would recognize some of the music pieces. I didnt expect this, and although that particular piece is really great, recycling it is really... bad. Well, its not Joe Hisaishi's music, so i guess i can live with that.

The movie IMO is a bit fast. They should have more development in it, especially around the middle and the earlier parts.

Overall
Meh, its a ghibli movie, so watch it already. Its great. Believe me. Cuz if u dont, i will- that's going to far. But its that good, really. Not as good as Spirited Away, but good. Yeah.

RedStarWarrior
26th December 2002, 06:32 PM
Sounds great. Can you give it a rating 0-10? Also you might want to put "Spoilers" in your topic if you plan on revealing part of the story with the review next time. :) Thanks for the info....spoilers don't bother me, but you know how some people can get.

Roarkiller
27th December 2002, 02:44 AM
9.1/10, and keep in mind that i rated Spirited Away 9.7 :P Got a 0.1 boost from 9 due to its good use of comedy.

Btw, the Muta in the movie has zero affiliation with the Muta in Mimi wo Sumaseba movie. In the manga maybe (its sequel, Shiawase na Jikan, has Muta as the librarian :o )

Hmm, spoilers? Maybe i should post the summary of the whole movie? I dont really recall it 100% but u know...

I'll order the manga on which this movie is based on and maybe let u guyz know the difference in the 2. In the meantime, i got enough savings to buy SEL, but school's reopening soon and i havent done my homework yet, nor finish that website im supposed to finish for the competition due on 5th jan.

Toon Dragon
27th December 2002, 04:44 PM
Cool, I heard about this film on Nausicaa.net. Is this on Miramax/Disney's list of Ghilbi films to release? If it isn't released commercially, I'll probably never see it :P (doesn't download films or get fansubs).

Roarkiller
28th December 2002, 12:08 AM
I believe it is, so dont worry. But as usual, watch the original instead of the dub. I still dont trust dubs, dont ask me why.

I might watch it again if i decide my memory needs a little boosting, since i might be writing the summary.