PDA

View Full Version : To all Yu gi oh players out there.....

Dark-San
7th August 2003, 05:36 AM
K I really need help this time~ I just bought my first 4 English cards.... 1 black hole, 1 monster's revival and 2 Harpie's brother. These are the only cards tat I know of that are really decent and useful...

Let me ask a few questions here:

What is format an advanced player usually plays in? I mean like in pokemon we usually play in a 10+ pkmn, 10+ energy and 30+ trainers. So wat abt Yu gi oh? How many magics, traps , defensive and offensive monster should I use?

What are the typical traps that are usually used? I remember only trap hole ;P The rest is quite unknown to me... It would be good if you doods list them out...

Magics? I only remember black hole and monster revival. There is also change of heart, pot of greed, charity, card destruction.... What are the rest of the really good ones?

Monsters? Hell ya Harpie's brother is the only decent attacking monster that I know of... Defensive monsters? <-- No idea! There are too much monsters with high defence so how?

Anyway it would good if ya recommend some strategies for me... And also I am not looking forward to play the 5 body parts since the potato head and witch is only limit to one each -_-"

Thanks for the help doods....

Chrisodeo
7th August 2003, 02:34 PM
If you're playing beatdown (simplest deck type, good to start with), then I'd stick with somewhere around 15-17 mons, 23-25 M/T. Very few defensive mons, maybe one or two. (NOT Labyrinth Wall) As for effect monsters, run one or two Man-Eater Bugs, a Magician of Faith, and/or Penguin Soldier.

Trap Hole is worthless nowadays. Mirror Force, Imperial Order, and Ring of Destruction are the best M/Ts in English. Magic Cylinder is okay. Magic Drain (Jammer and 7 Tools = poo) and Solemn Judgement are nearly staples as well.

Dark Hole, Change of Heart, Graceful Charity, Pot of Greed, Monster Reborn, and Raigeki are staples. Only in very strict circumstances can you not have one or more of these in a deck. Mystic Space Typhoon, Mirage of Nightmare, United We Stand, and Harpie's Feather Duster are optional, but still great.

No Defensive mons, aside from flip effects. Good offensive mons are: Bazoo, Kycoo, Harpie's Brother, Hysteric Fairy, Opticlops, Mechanicalchaser, and Gemini Elf.

As for strategies, just go with the flow. Attack, negate, remove, etc. Definitely run a Witch of the Black Forest and Fiber Jar, but other than that I dunno. Play, buy cards, develop a strategy. I can't tell you "use THIS", but I can tell you the different deck types.

Exodia - Based on assembline all five parts of Exodia to auto-win. Uses many searching methods and card-drawing effects. To counter, manage to dump the Head into the graveyard.

Destiny Board - The more difficult Exodia. Relies on protecting Magics and getting out the first piece. When all five pieces are assembled on the M/T space, it spells "FINAL", to auto-win. Nearly impossible to pull off. To counter, use any M/T removal.

Deck destruction - Uses cards like The Bistro Butcher to deplete the opponent's deck. When they run out of cards, you win. To counter, there's nothing you can do. However, these are extremely rare and difficult to put together.

Burner - Relies on effects to "burn" away the opponent's LP. Tremendous Fire, Cannon Soldier, and Chain Energy are near-staples in this type. To counter, use Imperial Order or other cards that negate magics.

Hand disruption/Yata - This is the shortened form of the name of the main card, Yatagarasu. It's a weak 200/300 Spirit mon, but it causes the opponent to skip their draw phase. Unless the opponent has something to destroy Yata immediately, then a "Yata lock" is achieved. They cannot draw, they don't have counters, and the game is locked until the Yata user wins. There are no counters. 0.0;;

Weenie Rush - Uses weak monsters that can attack directly to whittle away at the opponents LP. Commonly combined with Gravity Bind and boosting cards like United We Stand. To counter, use regular trap removal and monster removal, but be aware that an experienced Gravity Bind player has many layers of protecting it.

Fiend/Warrior/Dragon/Fisherman/Machine/Necrovalley - These are theme decks. They rely on a specific type of monster. Usually there are numerous support cards for the theme, and they can be quite effective. There is almost always one main card, so take it out and the deck is crippled. In a Fiend deck it's Ha Des. In a Warrior it's Freed and/or Marauding Captain. In a Dragon deck it's Tyrant Dragon. In a Fisherman deck it's A Legendary Ocean/The Legendary Fisherman. In a Machine deck it's Limiter Removal. Finaly, Necrovalley decks rely on the firld card of the same name.

Beatdown - The most common deck type. Utilizes four-star 1800+ attackers to take out the opponent's monsters. To counter, use Gravity Bind, Mirror Force, Magic Cylinder, etc.

Zombie
7th August 2003, 09:06 PM
I run a dark/fiend/beatdown so my card count is 17 Monster/ 17 Magic/ 6 Trap. That trap count is kinda high since I have Jinzo.

Magic:

Staples- Pot of Greed, Monster Reborn, Change of Heart, Raigeki, Harpies Feather Duster, & Dark Hole

Other magic cards I suggest are...
Heavy Storm (additional M/T removal)
Mystical Space Typhoon (see above, plus its chainable) I play 2
Graceful Charity (card drawling, discard/reborn) I play 2
Premature Burial (like monster reborn)
United We Stand, Mage Power, Axe of Despair (power up equips)
Nobleman of Crossout (monster removal + anti-flips)

Traps:
Mirror Force - negates attack and destroys monsters
Magic Cylinder - negates attack and damages opponent
Ring of Destruction - destroys a monster and damages both players
Torrential Tribute - like dark hole but chainable to a summon
Call of the Haunted - Like Monster Reborn
Imperial Order - Negates Magic

Dark-San
9th August 2003, 10:30 AM
O okay.... Still kinda of new to the english names... :D I recognise most of the cards by their pictures...

Anyway i may still need more help... so the deck maybe posted in a few days time...

Alec Trevelyan
9th August 2003, 04:19 PM
hum, i'm not a ygo "pro", but i'd suggest its good to throw some monsters like la jinn, harpie's brother, 7 colored fish, any monster with 1800 atk and 4 stars, some other good stuff for def is monsters w/ 2000 df and 4 stars... and there u can go w/ some effect monsters like magician of faith and there it goes... oh, big stuff... jinzo, summoned skull (my favorite!)... b. eyes isnt SO bad imo, u can add one of this guy too... yeah that's it, zombie told u all the stuff :P

cya :wave: :wave: :wave:

Dark-San
9th August 2003, 06:32 PM
You guys know of the cards that we can only play one? Examples are pot of greed etc... I need a list of them thanks

The Muffin Man
9th August 2003, 08:28 PM
Actually, any YGO site worth it's merit should have a banned/restricted list.

Zombie
10th August 2003, 02:43 AM
You can ONLY use one of the following cards in the Deck & Side Deck combined:

Exodia the Forbidden One
Left Leg of the Forbidden One
Left Arm of the Forbidden One
Right Leg of the Forbidden One
Right Arm of the Forbidden One
Pot of Greed
Change of Heart
Dark Hole
Raigeki
Monster Reborn
Mirror Force
Delinquent Duo
Confiscation
Painful Choice
The Forceful Sentry
Snatch Steal
Cyber Jar
Upstart Goblin
Swords of Revealing Light
Card Destruction
Witch of the Black Forest
Imperial Order
Jinzo
Ceasefire
Premature Burial
Call Of The Haunted
Morphing Jar
Limiter Removal
Sangan
Magic Cylinder
United We Stand
Mage Power
Heavy Storm
Harpie's Feather Duster
Sinister Serpent
Injection Fairy Lily
Yata-Garasu
Fiber Jar
Exiled Force
Twin-Headed Behemoth

You can ONLY use two of the following cards in the Deck & Side Deck combined:

Nobleman of Crossout
Backup Soldier
Morphing Jar #2
Graceful Charity
Last Turn
Marauding Captain
Reinforcement of the Army
Creature Swap

This hasnt been updated for PHG yet. Expect Ring of Destruction to be 1 per deck and a few others to be on the lists.

Also Graceful Charity may be restricted to one soon but for now play two.

Dark-San
10th August 2003, 09:51 AM
Ok i got a joey starter deck today. The good news is that I would be able to play 'you gay hoh' finally yay~ Bad news is that the deck is in Japanese. I could hav gotten the English version but they told me only Japanese cards are legal in tournaments~

So.... damn it! I can't read Japanese at all. So its help with translations. Thanks I owe you doods big time... ...

Here's link 1 (http://www.geocities.com/darkyouthtpm/darkyouthtpm.html)

Here's link 2 (http://www.geocities.com/darkyouthtpm/YuGiOh.html)

Kool Dudy
10th August 2003, 10:56 AM
Link 1

DY...

The top left card is a Red-Eyes Black Dragon. Normal Monster, 2400/2000

The top right card is Gearfried the Iron Knight. Effect Monster. You can not attach equip cards to Gearfried. All cards attached will be destroyed.
1800/1600

The middle right card is Jar of Greed. Trap Card. Draw one card from your deck.

The bottom middle card is Graverobber. I forgot the info but I'll edit my post later.

The bottom right card is prolly Dark Zebra. I'm not sure though.

Link 2

The top card is Scapegoat. Magic Card. Place 4 counters into play.

The middle left is prolly Tornado Wall. Trap Card. Not sure what it does.

The middle middle is prolly Magic Arm-Shield. Trap Card. Once again not sure.

The middle right is prolly Kunai with Chains. Trap Card. Not sure.

Zombie
10th August 2003, 05:26 PM
Link 1: 1st Row, Middle Card

Exiled Force
Warrior/Earth/Effect/3/1000/1000
Offer this face-up card on your side of the field as a Tribute to destroy 1 monster on the field. If this card is used for a Tribute Summon or this card is offered as a Tribute due to other cards' effects, this card's effect is not activated.

Link 1: 2nd Row, 1st Card

Sasuke Samurai

Wind/Warrior/2 stars/ATK 500/DEF 800
When this monster attacks a face-down Defense Position monster, destroy the face-down monster immediately with this card’s effect without flipping it face-up or damage calculation

Link 1: 2nd Row, Middle Card

Marauding Captain
Warrior/Earth/Effect/3/1200/400
As long as this monster remains face-up on the field, your opponent cannot select another Warrior-Type monster on your side of the field as an attack target. When this monster is Normal Summoned successfully, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your hand.

Link 1: 3rd Row, 1st Card

Raigeki Break
Trap Card
Discard 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard to destroy 1 card on the field

Link 2: 2nd Row, 1st Card.

Dust Tornado
Normal Trap
Destroy 1 Magic or Trap on your opponent’s side of the field. You can then Set 1 Magic or Trap Card from your hand. This card can only be activated if it is a Quick-Play Magic Card.

Last Exile
10th August 2003, 08:45 PM
I can shed light on 3 of them.

Graverobber
PSV - Super Rare
Normal Trap Card

Activate this trap to gain control of one magic card from your opponent's Graveyard by paying 2000 Life Points. The magic card goes back to your opponent's Graveyard at the end of your turn.

Tornado Wall
LON - Rare
Continuous Trap

As long as Umi and this card are both on the field at the same time, your opponent cannot attack.

Kunai With Chain
Counter/Equip Trap Card
When an opponent attacks, flip this card to equip the attacked monster. It gains 500 attack points. If the monster survives, it becomes a permanent equip card.

EDIT: Darkyouth, here's a list of stuff I consider essential in most decks:

Effect Monsters:

Magician of Faith (run 2 of these)
Man-Eater Bug/Penguin Soldier (I don't run them myself, but they are VERY annoying! So you should definitely use them for now)
Exiled Force
Cyber Jar
Sangan
Injection Fairy Lily

Magic:

Monster Reborn
Change of Heart
Snatch Steal
Dark Hole
Raigeki
Pot of Greed
Graceful Charity
Mirage of Nightmare
Mystic Space Typhoon (use 3, they're essential!)
Nobleman of Crossout
Harpie's Feather Duster/Heavy Storm (Use HFD in preference, but it's hard to get)
Premature Burial (The only ressurection card that can revive more than one mosnter at once. Despite the 800lp cost, it's a lifesaver)
Swords of Revealing Light (Okay, some like it, some don't. But hey, if your opponent suddenly wipes the field, stopping them from attacking for 3 turns is very handy and can give you enough time to counter!)

Traps: I suggest the standard six:

Imperial Order
Magic Cylinder
Mirror Force
Call of the Haunted
Torrential Tribute
Ring of Destruction

As for your deck theme, see what powerful monsters you can get. Then we can help you make a killer deck.

Zombie
10th August 2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita

Tornado Wall
LON - Rare
Continuous Trap

As long as Umi and this card are both on the field at the same time, your opponent cannot attack.

Tornado Wall wasnt in either of those links, Dust Tornado was.

Last Exile
10th August 2003, 10:52 PM
If you look at Kool Dudy's post, for the section on link 2, Tornado Wall was the 2nd card he mentioned.

Dark-San
11th August 2003, 12:21 AM
Its not like I don't wan to find the cards but these cards are extremely diffcult to find around here~ Even if I can managed to find one, the store owner will likely to dash your hope of obtaining the card with a killer price for it~ Poor me....

Anyway I will try to get the above mentioned cards to the best I can... besides anybody here willingly to trade pokemon for 'you gay hoh' ? I have lots of them~

Damn cards are really hard to get nowadays!

Edit~ Anyway link 2's 2nd row middle card is not translated yet~ I might go crazy and start scanning my whole deck for a fix lolz

If this is the list that I am suspose to find, I will just post wat I hav for now in order for you guys to keep track~

Effect Monsters:

Magician of Faith (run 2 of these) Only got 1
Man-Eater Bug/Penguin Soldier (I don't run them myself, but they are VERY annoying! So you should definitely use them for now)
Exiled Force
Cyber Jar
Sangan
Injection Fairy Lily

Magic:

Monster Reborn Yes
Change of Heart Yes
Snatch Steal
Dark Hole Yes
Raigeki
Pot of Greed Yes
Graceful Charity
Mirage of Nightmare
Mystic Space Typhoon Yes but only got 1
Nobleman of Crossout
Harpie's Feather Duster/Heavy Storm (Use HFD in preference, but it's hard to get)
Premature Burial Yes
Swords of Revealing Light Yes

Traps: I suggest the standard six:

Imperial Order
Magic Cylinder Yes
Mirror Force Yes
Call of the Haunted
Torrential Tribute
Ring of Destruction

It would be good if ya guys post out the pictures 'cause I remembering telling ya doods that I only recognise the card by its picture. =(

Thanks for the help doods as always

Zombie
11th August 2003, 05:30 AM
link 2's 2nd row middle card...

That one hasnt been released yet in English but if that is Magic-Arm Shield then it goes something like this...

It may be activated when your opponent attacks and has a monster in defense position. Your opponent must choose one of his/her own defense position monsters as the new target of the attacking monster.

DarkTemplarZ
11th August 2003, 11:22 AM
It usually varies on deck type, but I'd say 16-20 monsters, 16 being a bare minimum, 10-16 magic, and 4-8 traps. If u run a GB deck, obviously u have more traps, a hand destruction and most beatdown decks would have more magic, Exodia would probably have more monsters.

As for the cards, Link 1: top left is an alternate art REBD, top middle is Black Scorpion Grave Robbers(AKA Dark Scorpion Burglars), top right is Gearfreed, middle left is Sasuke Samurai, middle is Troop Commander(AKA Marauding Captain), middle right is Jar of Greed, lower right is Thunder Break(AKA Raigeki Break), lower middle is graverobber, lower right is Igzarion Universe

Link 2: top is Scapegoat, left is Dust Tornado, middle is Magic Arm Shield, right is Chained Boomerang AKA Kunai with Chain

Dark-San
11th August 2003, 06:50 PM
Yesterday I went on a spending spree on 'You Gay hoh' Cards.... spend about US$20. Man I'm so poor now. I got myself 2 Mystic Space Typhoon (Tat makes 3 in total for me), 1 Summon Skull, 1 Graceful Charity (They told me that it is going to be reduced to one per deck in future so I only got one instead of 2) and 1 Harpie Magic Feather Duster.

I was surprise that one of the player released it in such a low fees. Ard US$5 dollars (From S$8 conversion). And the card is in mint condition. Whooo I'm so luckly ;P

From yesterday's shopping spree, I'm still hav a few more staples to go.

They are:

Imperial Order
Damn this card is real diffcult to find... Whats the market price for it? Maybe I'll tried and get it with some online shopping...

Call of the Haunted, Ring of Destruction
Another 2 more hard to find trap card. I was wondering wat can these 2 cards do? Can somebody tell me why? In the meantime, I got myself a Magic Jammer and a Creature Jammer to replace them for the time being

Injection Fairy Lily
What the heck is this card? No idea...

Nobleman of Crossout
Whats this card again? No idea but I got painful choice in place of this card for the time being too

Torrential Tribute
What this? Is this the card below? *Points at the link below*
link3 (http://www.geocities.com/darkyouthtpm/YuGiOh2.html)
If not it would be better for you guys to tell me more abt this card too thanks...

Raigeki, Snatch Steal
Can't find them at the moment

From the list I'm also left with one more magician of faith...

Thats all folks lolz

*Edit: Updating List... Oh ya wats the card in link 1 row 3 right? I'm not too sure of the card...

DarkTemplarZ
11th August 2003, 07:41 PM
I would definitely not reccomend trying to buy Imperial Order on the internet. It's a secret rare, meaning it's virtually impossible to buy one for under 45-50 bucks. Ditto with Injection Fairy Lilly

And that's not Torrential Tribute. TT is just a wall of water for a pic. Anyway, u can activate it only when a monster is summoned, it destroys all monsters on the field. Pretty much Dark Hole as a trap

NoC=removes a face-down monster on the field from the game. If it's a flip effect monster, remove all copies of it in each player's decks from the game. It's a super rare I think, you aren't gonna get 2 of them cheap

Ring of Destruction- Destroy a monster on the field and do damage equal to it's attack strength to both players.

Call of the Haunted- Special summon a monster from your graveyard. If [Call of the Haunted] leaves play, the special summoned monster is destroyed.

Snatch is easy to get, but Raigeki is a pain in the ***. It's a good 20 bucks on the internet and I think it's a super rare in LoB

And if u mean Igzarion Universe, it's a promo, won't be out in english for a long while. It's effect is u can chose to reduce it's atk by 400 so it gains a Fairy Meteor Crush effect, lasts for 1 turn

Dark-San
11th August 2003, 08:40 PM
Anybody knows whats the translation for link 1's 3rd row the card on the right? I might be using this card on my deck... but the problem is tat i hav no idea of wat effect does that card have...

DarkTemplarZ
12th August 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by DarkTemplarZ

And if u mean Igzarion Universe, it's a promo, won't be out in english for a long while. It's effect is u can chose to reduce it's atk by 400 so it gains a Fairy Meteor Crush effect, lasts for 1 turn

I think that answers ur question, it's link 1 row 3, card on the far right

Kool Dudy
12th August 2003, 12:52 PM
You got a good deal on the Harpie's Feather Duster.

If you want more good cards, you should sign up for a eBay account. I've seen the cards you want go for really low prices.

Examples...

Injection Fairy Lily : $15 US
Imperial Order : $6 US
Call of the Haunted : $ 8US (I sold both of them for 8 :))
Torrential Tribute : $8 US
Raigeki : $8-10 US

You get lots of good deals on eBay. That's where I get my cards...

DarkTemplarZ
12th August 2003, 06:26 PM
holy ****, 6 bucks for IO and 15 for Lilly? Ebay's so cheap, I'm getting an account ASAP, I need another Bazoo

Dark-San
12th August 2003, 08:18 PM
Ebay? Hmm I remember you need a credit card in order to register for it right? I don't hav one....