PDA

View Full Version : Won a tourney on the weekend

Last Exile
10th August 2003, 09:09 PM
I entered my 3rd Yu-Gi-Oh! tourney on the weekend. I came 2nd in the first 2, but apparently I got ripped in both. Apparently both winners played 'illegal' moves that slipped past the judges. But this time I ditched my dragon deck and made a beatdown/hand disruption that was guaranteed to do a lot better.

First four matches I won 2-0 no probs. In the final match I came up against one of my duelling buddies. I knew it would be us two duelling for the win.

Duel 1, I won by 7050lp. Change of Heart and Snatch Steal in the first draw just made it too much for him to counter.

Duel 2, he levelled the ledger with Change of Heart and his own Hand Disruption.

Duel 3 was a classic. In was a real grind to start with, then it went schizo for the last 3 turns. I was up by close to 2000lp, but he got Moisture Creature out to backup his face-down, so I was in a bit of trouble. Then he played Confiscation, only to find he was in for it! My hand was:

Guardian Sphinx
Raigeki
Nobleman of Crossout
Exiled Force
Injection Fairy Lily

He pained over the choice for 1 minute, he was that unnerved, then he chose Nobleman of Crossout. I was surprised, I thought he'd go for Raigeki or Injection Fairy Lily. On my turn, I played Raigeki, but he countered with Solemn Judgment, taking him down to 2125lp. I was on 4700lp. I then figured that since I couldn't counter Moisture Creature in any way, I had to kill it with Exiled Force. Next turn, he drew nothing, so I was safe for a little while. Next turn I drew Mirror Force and sacrificed a miniscule card for Guardian Sphinx. Next turn he flipped Jowls of Dark demise, summoned another creautre and attacked. Thankfully Mirror Force saved my skin. Next turn I drew Torrential Tribute, set it, put a La Jinn on the field, which he countered with Waboku. Next turn he used Mytic Space Typhoon on Torrential Tribute, then Change of Heart on my La Jinn to summon his Summoned Skull and get me down to 2200lp. This was when I was beginning to panic. I knew the next card I drew would decide who won the tourney.

And wouldn't you know it, the Heart of the Cards came through for me! :D

For the card I drew was:

Monster Reborn! :D

I used it to special summon Exiled Force and tributed it to kill his Summoned Skull, leaving him with nothing ont he field! I then put Injection Fairy Lily on the field, attacked with her pump-up effect, winning me the duel by 200 Life Points! It was a duel worthy of a tourney decider.

For winning, I got a $30 folder and 2 boosters. I got crap from the boosters, but the folder is nice. :)

I'm gonna enter one in two weeks at a different place. That place usually gives 5 extra boosters each to the top 3 finishers, but they run an elimination tourney. The one I was in was a Swiss-style tourney.

So, any of you guys ever won tourneys? What was it like? Been in any major ones?

Personally, once nationals come for Yu-Gi-Oh! in Australia, I'm definitely going. I think I'd stand a good chance in them.

Roarkiller
11th August 2003, 07:44 AM
Baka baka baka baka baka!

Sorry, i juz luv ur rank title :D Anyway, congrats on almost winning the tourney. And dont worry, ur not the only victim to foul play. At least the judges were fair and know the rules (i hope), not like my case. I can write a whole essay with my complaint and idiocy of the SHOPKEEPER. Yep, no official judge, juz a fun neighborhood tourney.

I won my fair share of tourneys, tho as of yet i got no 1st in any card games.

The Muffin Man
12th August 2003, 01:29 AM
I won 2 Upper Deck tournies, but lost one due to fowl play...the kid I was faced had a friend watching my hand. He would just rub his nose or something...like if I had Mirror Force and his friend went to flip 7 tools(the brat had another guy who'd flash '7' for seven tools played and ****. Eventually, I was MSTing his 7 Tools because I saw 'em, but he still won because his friend kept being obnoxious and "accidently" bumping into me so I'd be knocked forward and show a glimspe of my hand for just a second. The judge never caught on, either. There were too many people to single out the culprit...

Well, in the end, he ended up winning the first and last games because in the first one, obviously he was cheating. In the second one, the kid bumped me hard so I dropped my entire hand and when I picked it up, INSISTED I had picked a card out of my sleeve because I had no Nobleman of Ext.(It was slid beneath my Solemn Judgement at the time...) and the judge listened, but I didn't figure out they were cheating till I saw the kid behind me smirk...

On the upside, I obliterated him in my 2nd Upper Deck tourney. First round, his friend bumped into me, and I held my elbow out...XD so I inadvertantly elbowed him in the crotch. But other than that, I MSTed a set Monster Reborn(See why I shouldn't have lost?) and Heavy Stormed his Legendary Ocean, and 2 Set M/T, then played Goblin Attack Force and attacked twice(he played Curse of Fiend...wtf?) and won.

The second match I played against him, he got nothing and I tore him apart with La Jinn and Gemini Elves.

My greatest loss was a 50 LP difference. We were holding each other off really well. Eventually it came down to 150 to 50(I solemn judgemented at 300 LP) and I had just attacked with GAF, leaving Spear Dragons path wide open. He was an honorable player, and gave me the Magic Drain I now use that he got out of one of his boosters...he ran a Dark deck, I ran a Fairy/Spellcaster deck(with Warriors like GAF to even it out) and eventually his Yami gave him a slight lead.

DarkTemplarZ
12th August 2003, 10:54 AM
competition in my tourney is very tough, there's like 4 people who have more secret rare cards than brain cells, so they are hard as hell to beat. I won a few tournies here and there, in the finals and semi's loads of times