PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Inspiration?

classy_cat18
13th August 2003, 12:03 PM
I was working on my fanfic when I thought I should post this. Does someone or something give you inspiration when writing your fanfics or do you run on your own steam? Is it a favorite author of yours, one of your friends or family members? Or is it a certain book, TV show, or movie? Maybe it's someone else's fanfic!

I think I started wanting to write my fanfic after I met my friend Sean Sporman from high school. When he told me that he was writing stories and posting them on the Internet, I thought that was so cool. It took me a year and a few boring hours in my dorm room to finally start my own fanfic.

Meganium
13th August 2003, 01:09 PM
My inspiration for fic writing was ShinyMarill and his FRTC storIES. His style of writing was awesome and I was really sad when the sequal ended.

Orion
13th August 2003, 01:19 PM
My inspiration was an old TPM Member.Britt28red,AKA Red Dragon.She became my friend, and I found some of her Fics on the Forum.I really liked how she wrote,and that inspired me to start on Fics.I get lotsa weird ideas,which never see the light.However,I've started a major Trainer Fic,which I hope does better...

Mew Master
13th August 2003, 01:53 PM
Well I suppose I have several inspirations.

Marc Cerasini: He did a very good book series with Godzilla. They were some of my all-time favorite books!!! Till they cancled the series.. T_T

Also Chris LeDoux's music has always been a big influence, cause I tend to imagine to music and his always had some element that set it apart from everything else.

~Mew Master

mr_pikachu
14th August 2003, 02:55 PM
Hmm... I'd say my original inspiration for writing fanfics was Togepretty of this forum. A Part Well Played was the first fanfic I'd read in a long time, and I thought it had some pretty unique ideas. It was really the inspiration for my first fanfic, and since then, I've started another, and gotten ideas for two more... :D Right now, I keep the inspiration with the major fanfic writers, like Mist, OzAndrew, Gavin Luper, CCC, dratinihaunter13, etc. I also am inspired by some of my close friends on the forum, as well as the newbies who keep trying despite their struggles in writing and in life. That said, I think you can find inspiration from almost anywhere, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on where it is from and how you use it.

Chris 2.1
14th August 2003, 04:53 PM
I love the works of Gavin Luper, for his action-packed fanfic that takes a small character from the movies much further. Chapter 42 is AMAZING, it's an action-packed getaway from Lisa Walter's own home as her friend Marina and her find Rockets in the games room. Seeing his work makes me want to write a novel!

Ozandrew, for his hilarious trainer fanfic 'Electric Buggy to Victory'. The humour is bursting from the seams, its a joy to read and you will find yourself laughing out loud in more than one part. I love this for its relaxed environment, but LTL's seriousness is a reason I like it...I like diferent fanfics for different reasons.

I found Citrus Crush Chikorita's work a joy to read, Ash and Sakura together, fighting against bad and evil for Misty. AAML! Meowth is a warming character that i'd otherwise shoot in the anime, but Ryan's managed to (not eisily) make him pretty darn loveable...

Yea, 3 BIG inspirations. Also...Captain Pringle for his New Pokemon, they're awe-inspiring! Check out Muraven 0_0;;;

Powarun
14th August 2003, 06:59 PM
Inspirations, are as following ^ the guy ahead of me Shiny Marril
His fic was inspiraring and wanted me to post a fan fic, he is an awsome writer and really did make a good story, although he is leading off of pokemon his now current fic Monica's army is still inspiraring to stand up to the crazy thoughts one might have.

I ow my self some credit, and that would be my wierd strang orginal ideas, I put my self to sleep each night just thinking too much.

Um well some people Like Firegaurdian and I loveX tina, and SoggyCardboard, soggy for being a strange spinda loving person seemed like a person that should be in a fan fic, and he was a guy I could write about, since his main priotity on these boards are to love Spinda.

Fireguardian an dI love Tina/Todilile lover, were some of my early readers, that told me to go on with the story, and FG really drove me into creating a sequel. ILT, was a person who reads lots of fan fics, and we at one time would comment on all the things one would not like to hear, like my spelling is bad, or the plot is boring.

School, well mainly just to practise writing.

The Azure League, that was my first inspiration. I loved that fic so much.

Music, Green Day, BLink 182, All American Rejects and Simple plan, sorta sell outs, well their music would inspire me at times, adn while I write I ALWAYS have one of the bands CD playing. Minority by Greenday was one that hit me, and I wanted to plan an event of having a kid getting beat up by a lot of pokemon at once, where it seemed all was lost.

And there are just some inspirations, thanx to all.

The Decapitated Mole
14th August 2003, 08:21 PM
My first fic, the MisAdventures of Hiro, was inspired by the first 3 fics I ever read here: Killers of Tellitubbies, Heroes to the World [by, um, eevee3 i think...], The Adventures of Firewood Ketchup and His Friends Cloudy and Sock [by Captain Pringle], and the Never Ending Funny Story III [by various]. I'm now searching for those fics, but have only found one. [TAOFKAHFCAS] The inspiration for my second fic, which was a sequel to my first fic, was the fact that people liked reading my first fic, and I wanted to write a different plot with the same characters. The inspiration for all those tiny fics that I made that nobody read was the fact that I wanted to write a serious fic. The inspiration for my latest fic, The Ivy League, was the fact that I was all depressed and stuff, and I wanted to write a serious fic. I actually thought of the idea while watching "Bowling for Columbine."

o_0
jimm

Dragonfree
17th August 2003, 07:34 AM
Well... my trainer fic started out inspired by some stories I had read that actually weren't very good... at least not the battle scenes. The battle scenes in mine were first the exact same as these and that was an extremely dull way. Let's just say it included the trainer commanding the pokémon to attack, the pokémon saying its name, and then the other trainer giving an order... for short, extremely bad. It was ShinyMarill's From Rookie to Champion that inspired me to do better than this, I revised the first chapters and at least all battle scenes are a lot better now, although ShinyMarill also inspired me to put some plot in it other than just a someone who's going to be a pokémon master... oh, it was so crappy back then. I started to plan out chapter 27, which will actually change the whole story from a trainer fic to something special... but I'm still writing chapter 26 so that hasn't happened yet. As for The Second Clone, it was a dream that inspired that. I dreamt that I was cloning pokémon, I cloned a Rattata and then cloned a Sentret and called in Sentretwo, then woke up.

MatthewKetchum037
25th August 2003, 04:35 PM
Mainly music. Here's the story. I'm watching pokemon while listening to Linkin Park. Hybrid Theory Track 1- Papercut, and then the battle between Ash and Drake is on (Orange Islands). When that song was playing, a whole flurry of ideas came to my head for a story, and I've been trying to finish the story ever since. Also some music by Evanescence I have found some new inspiration.

Neo-Xantios
26th August 2003, 06:38 AM
A retired member of TPM, Mr. Mayor, had unlocked my door to writing with his work of amazement, "To be a Master". After reading a couple chapters of his fic, I started Pokémon: A Philosophy, but soon stopped because the fantasy genre was wholly exposed to me by Terry Brook's masterpiece, The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy. Now I am working on a fantasy fiction of my own called "Destiny of Scord". Once the first chapter is rewritten, it will be posted here on TPM.

CharizardILG27
31st August 2003, 10:44 AM
My inspirations were the first stories i read, R.J: Legacy of a Master, Legends of Houen (a story on SPP) and Creatures: New and Old. Those were my inspirations for my story, The Story of Matthew Henington, and The Story of Steve Anderson: Johto Journey. I haven't posted them here yet.

Rambunctious Jamirus
31st August 2003, 11:04 AM
I think this topic's been posted before but oh, well.

Let's see here, inspirations for each Fic I've done that's been on TPM:

The Eeveelution Kid - Don't really know where this one came from but it was pretty much my first post on TPM's UBB. It's been reposted a record of five or six times and I've given up on posting it here. I might again one day but not now. It reached Chapter 12 or 13 the first time I posted it but I never did know how to copy and paste back then so the first edition is lost forever...

Wild Horses Just Stay Wild - I had been looking at the boards one day and noticed how there never was a disabled Trainer Fic. This popped into my head and it managed to get to Chapter 5 I believe before the UBB went down and I lost it :( It was a pretty good but not one of my bests.

Through Blind Eyes - This one came from watching the commercials of Daredevil and since my other disabled Fic was gone. It is the longest Fic and the only one to be continued for over three months. The readers who reply gave me a boost after I disappeared for a while, thinking the Fic had gone into the dust. Surprisingly, it was on Page 2 or 3. I've continued it ever since and now it's reached Chapter 21! I've been thinking of making it into three parts so that it doesn't get real long but that's still a thought.

Mako's Family - This one, now, came from listening to Leann Rhymes' Twisted Angel and Martina McBride's Greatest Hits CDs for a while. Combining Martina's child abuse songs with Leann's Suddenly, out came Mako and Rini. It has now reached Chapter 10 and will possibly be broken into parts as well.

As for other inspirations - SilverMachop's The Adventures of Tyler and Magmar gave me the courage to write comedy not on the board. Other songs by people, poems I've done, and a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment. I really don't know who or what got me into writing Pokemon FanFiction but at least I'm here.

Lady Vulpix
1st September 2003, 03:28 PM
Disclaimer: don't try this at hope unless you want to be as crazy as I am.

My inspiration comes from thinking of writing 24/7. Sometimes I get blocked with a scene, (most particularly action scenes) so I think about it on the bus, and when I go to bed, and then when I wake up, until I finally come up with a way to pull it out. Quest of Twelve is a special fic (I know it's my only fic, but I've written other things too and it stands out from most of them) because I planned the whole storyline 2 years before deciding to type it and publish it, so I know where I'm going... I just don't know every step.

So, what inspires me? Nice landscapes, a few things I read, hear or see, and especially the input from the readers. When somebody asks me a question, thinking of the answer gives me ideas that could last many chapters (like when Ryan assured Timper had an ulterior motive after reading chapter 10, it gave me the key to start writing his conversation with Erin on chapter 14; and even before, Tara's comments on chapter 2 gave me ideas for chapter 5 and so on). Other than that, just about anything other than university inspires me. And university, while it doesn't inspire me, makes me want to write instead of studying. So expect me to keep writing for as long as I live. :)

Oh! And what inspires me the most is... WRITING!

Heavenly Sage HLSOE
9th September 2003, 08:04 AM
I came here about 2-3 yrs ago and some of the great "ficcers" are still here. Quete D'Amour(Quest of love)( was my lastest fic here(Genre: Fantasy, Pokemon Trainer, French, Romance), it ended in about Feb this year I think. That was inspired by Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series and people like Ozzie (can't remember why but I remember it had something to do with him), dh_13 (Damon's Meance was a key reason for me writing trainer most of the time in my fics), D_k,etc.

Nikku-San
11th September 2003, 09:01 PM
Hmm... Though I've never put my fic on this board (or even finished typing the first chapter), I guess the thing that inspires me is Pokemon its self. But other things I get inspiration from are music (mostly Japanese stuff), books, other fics, people and of course nature.

Mystic Latios
12th September 2003, 09:16 PM
Restless Dreams: The Mysterious Mist- Inspired by Mist's fanfic Lapras Valley High. I always liked the idea of a story taking place at a school in the pokemon world. So where did I made up the title? I was acually reading about the Silent Hill games and there was this one for the X-Box called Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams. I like the name Restless Dreams so I used it as part of the title.

Eternal Memories- I'm starting to like making origional fics than pokemon fanfics lately. I got the inspiration to make this story from Hayao Miazaki's Spirited Away movie and from the extras from the DVD. The music in the movie also helps me get more ideas for the story, especially the Chihiro's Theme music.

Shadow Trainer Ash
16th September 2003, 08:55 PM
I think more than I do anything else.

I'm the type of person that finds that basically anything can inspire her. I could be taking a walk, sit at the edge of a pond, and just stop and think for hours, imagining a story. I could listen to a song and visualize new characters coming into existence. I can watch a movie, go to school, read a book, talk to a friend... all are inspiration for me. My entire life to me, otherwords, is a story. ^_^

Sometimes I just need to peice everything together to form the puzzle

Toxicity
4th October 2003, 10:23 PM
I have had many inspirations for 12 Shades of Fear....I'll just list several...^_^

-One involved music. As being a Linkin Park, Disturbed, Evanescence, Staind, KoRn, etc. Fan....A bunch of songs have bunched together to make the outlines of my characters. Basically...the songs are like phases of Laura's quest as she moves forth.

-Another was actually a bunch of Anime. ^^;; Future parts of my fic involve minor details of shows like .HACK//Sign, Inuyasha, and Cardcaptor Sakura. I actually plan on using the villian have personalities of Miroku(the evil one) and Seshomarru(both from Inuyasha)...and a legendary pokemon based off of partly Sango(Inuyasha), Suppi-chan's true form(Cardcaptor Sakura), and Serena(Sailor Moon).

To me...Laura is a combonation of Tsukasa(.HACK//Sign), Kagura(Inuyasha), Sakura Kinomoto(Cardcaptor Sakura), and Chihiro(Spirited Away)...yet she's lost her thoughts of depression. Vash, to me, is like Eriol(Cardcaptor Sakura), Vash the Stampede(Trigun), and Koga(Inuyasha).

-Another is actually my fantasy, memories, thoughts, and depression. My fantasy is being a trainer, lost and not realizing her destiny...and following only what the winds blows to...not realizing she is truely a(spoiler....please skip the sentance): Dark Angel. Laura was based of me before my birthday this year age-wise...yet physically, and mentally...she's exactly like me now and days. My depression has lead me into trails and twisted phases of thought....like paranoia and such.

Gavin Luper
5th October 2003, 01:03 AM
Books like Harry Potter and The Tomorrow Series give me some inspiration, and I get some ideas from other fics like Lapras Valley High or EBTV, but most of all I look around me and inside my own head. Ideas just breed there!