PDA

View Full Version : Neon Genesis Evangelion: Perfect Collection

RedStarWarrior
26th December 2002, 06:37 PM
I just got the NGE: PC DVD set today and I can't wait to watch it. It is a set of 8 DVDs with 26 episodes. Does anyone else have this set? If so, is $126 (American) and okay price to pay...did you find it worth the money? Well, I am getting ready to go watch the 1st DVD....I will let you know how the set is after I watch all 650 minutes of it. Until then, feel free to post your own comments on the series.

EVme15
26th December 2002, 06:46 PM
Ahh, NGEva... the series everyone loves until you near Final Genesis. I've only seen the first 4 eppies. Of course, I just got DVD #2 for Christmas! I'm gonna stay up and watch it when everyone else goes to bed. (Reason1: They don't want to hear it. Reason2: It's a DVD, which means it can only be played in one place [and I don't want to watch it on the computer]. Reason3: My aunt and grandparents are over, and if they found out they got me something for Christmas with swears, A) they'll hate themselves for it B) they'll hate me for knowing it and not telling them.) Meet my life, an anime fan stuck in a house where swears, nudity, and graphic violence are shunned 350%. I was up until 1:50 watching Akira last night! (which I may add was wonderful.) Another all-nighter can't be that bad.

mvtm
26th December 2002, 07:43 PM
Umm good Scott , i wont spend $126 but i consider it good by the whole set of dvds i think its ok , although for me emm i wont spend it for some reasons here locomotion put , and puts it here we have more than 1 year of replay value of NGE :P I will recomend you downloading The End Of Evangelion one of the movies its very interesting , i want to see Death and Rebirth but well . Umm i downloading LOTR the two towers.

RedStarWarrior
26th December 2002, 08:35 PM
The only two other Evangelion shows are 'Death and Rebirth' and the 'End of Evangelion' right?

Darkness
26th December 2002, 09:38 PM
I thin you paid like an extra $3-$13. Depending on where you bought it from. 'Cuz once I saw it for like $121. I don't know. Maybe I'm right. Maybe its my memory. I have no idea. LOL

RedStarWarrior
26th December 2002, 09:49 PM
The price you saw was probably a sale price. I didn't get it on sale...if I had bought it a month ago I would have saved about $20. I didn't have the money though.

lugia222
26th December 2002, 11:06 PM
NGE... NGE... where to begin. Maybe with the word suck? Ida know, that's how I feel about it. Yeah, I watched the whole series... it's ok, but frankly it's just too weird in some points, not to mention the ending is major suckage. Ida know, I wish I would have spent my time watching NGE watching like Kenshin or re-watching Slayers. It's an interesting series, but just too much is left unsolved, and there is too much speculation at the end. Like with Selee, and the fact that some think he is the wandering jew, and the whole 'what was really first impact' thing, and all that other stuff. Ida know, I certainly wouldn't spend $100 for all 8 DVD's.

I felt the same way about Akira. Everyone says "Ooh, it's sooooooooo cool", yet when I watched it, I was unimpressed, and the ending sucked so much I wish I would have spent my time watching some other anime movie, or downloading .hack//sign.

RedStarWarrior
27th December 2002, 12:20 AM
I think that the unanswered questions add to the story sometimes. So far I enjoy NGE and I did enjoy Akira. It is the unanswered questions that tend to cause me to think harder and longer about the animé.....they provoke me to watch it again. I think that they can be good things. I just have to wait and see how it ends before I can decide if they are good in this instance.

Roarkiller
27th December 2002, 02:49 AM
I havent watched Akira yet, so i cant comment.

I feel ur pain, d00d. I cant even buy manga with even a bit of nudity (though my parents mavent found out bout my eva manga yet), so i can forget about even watching the anime itself. I mean hell, the movie is so packed with naked Rei, and so is the anime. Gah...

Btw, DVDs r nice, but VCDs r so much cheaper. And they're actually available in my country, lol.

Last Exile
27th December 2002, 07:59 AM
It's about the same price to get the entire Evangelion series and movies on DVD in Australia, but I won't be able to get a DVD player for yonks. Anyone got an idea how to get hold of the series and movies on VCR in Australia? Would really appreciate help there.

I thinkboiling down the entire Akira comic book series into one single 90 minute movie was going a bit too far. Of course it would seem weird.

Darkness
27th December 2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I havent watched Akira yet, so i cant comment.

I feel ur pain, d00d. I cant even buy manga with even a bit of nudity (though my parents mavent found out bout my eva manga yet), so i can forget about even watching the anime itself. I mean hell, the movie is so packed with naked Rei, and so is the anime. Gah...

Btw, DVDs r nice, but VCDs r so much cheaper. And they're actually available in my country, lol.

I haven't watched Akira yet either.
RK, Its the same condition with me. I snuck in watching eva when my parents were in Chicago, though. It gets confusing at times. But maybe because I haven't watched episodes 9,10,11, and the last DVD.

EDIT: Hell! I'd make my own VCDs but Kazaa is soo slow when it comes to downloading video files. I have to ask people to bring me VCDs from Pakistan. But the good thing is, they work. At times. Ya' know, I'm sick of living in all these rules. It gets soooo annoying.

RedStarWarrior
27th December 2002, 09:46 AM
You need episodes 9-11 and 24-26, Roarkiller? I could try putting them on VCD and sending them to you. PM me if you are interested...no charge of course. Also, I found that for real cheap you can find a lot of animé on Amazon.com.

EVme15
27th December 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
...I think boiling down the entire Akira comic book series into one single 90 minute movie was going a bit too far. Of course it would seem weird.

Really? They cut it down that much? The VHS I own is 124 minutes long, and yeah, the ending is kinda... unfinished.
I like animes like that, though (with one primary exception...) I mean, Pilot Candidate is a good example, *starts to sing* This is the series that never ends! POKEMON! Yes, it goes on and my friends! POKEMON! Some people, started watching it, curious what it was. And they'll continue watching forever just because... (Repeat times infinity), but I guess that's just me, I can understand some people not wanting a series to remain uncomplete at the end.

lugia222
27th December 2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
I thinkboiling down the entire Akira comic book series into one single 90 minute movie was going a bit too far. Of course it would seem weird.

Yeah, cutting down 6 very THICK volumes of manga into ~90 minutes of film really doesn't do the story any good.

RedStarWarrior
27th December 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by lugia222
Yeah, cutting down 6 very THICK volumes of manga into ~90 minutes of film really doesn't do the story any good.
I think it would have been better if it was an series instead of just a movie.

Roarkiller
28th December 2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by lugia222

Reminds me of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. That one was 6 vols too.

Thx MC, but nah, i'll skip it. I find the manga tells the story in much more detail. Btw, no credits = no Amazon or eBay or any of those stuff. Actually, its sorta a blessing; i wouldve blown my credit limit juz buying music CDs.

RedStarWarrior
28th December 2002, 04:53 PM
Okay. I just finished watching the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Perfect Collection. I could see how some people were unsatisfied with the ending. It wasn't a clear-cut ending that we are used to seeing. I still find it to be quite enjoyable. On one side, we have the story of the Angels and the Evas, and on the other, a boy's questioning of his own existence. I think that we see that the Shinji saves the world from the Third Impact by destroying the Fifth Child, or Seventeenth Angel, but we don't see the aftermath on all of the people. Instead we are taken to the mind of Shinji who is trying to determine his own worth, identity, and reality. I think the last episodes try to make you question your own purpose as Shinji questions his. I found it different, but quite excellent regardless.
Note: the below review is being done before I have had a chance to see 'Death and Rebirth' and 'End of Evangelion'. The review may change after seeing these two.

Animation:
Spectacular....vivid, colorful, and highly detailed. During the final episodes the switching between different animation types: final cells, preliminary cells, and rough sketches; allowed for one to actually feel the sense of confusion that Shinji felt.
9.5/10

Music:
Great choice! The opening song is stuck in my head and the ending rendition of "Fly Me to the Moon" (I don't know the real name....also this may only be in the English version) is very lovely despite my initial reluctance to it.
8/10

Plot:
Different but still rather well done. It caused me to ponder my own existence and my purpose on this planet as well as my own self-worth and my value to others. Also, the ideas of Angels, Evangelions, the Dead Sea Scrolls, SEELE, the Magi Systems and NERV, they all seem to fit together to me. They did make sense. Although not everyone will agree with me...I find this to be an awsome animé and I would recommend it to anyone.
9/10

Overall:
I found this to be excellent in storyline and media. It is truly a worthwhile animé. One of my favorites so far.
8.8/10

PlatinumHawke
31st December 2002, 01:13 PM
No offense MC, but you are off a bit in your information. The main character's name is Ikari Shinji, not Senji. And if that's what the sub say, then it's way off base.

"Fly Me To The Moon," sung by Ayanami Rei seiyuu, Hayashibara Megumi, is a cover of the same song, which was sung back in the mid 60's by Frank Sinatra.

Thirdly, Shinji doesn't save the world from the Third Impact by killing Kaoru in the 24th episode. He only prevents the Destructive Third Impact from occuring. The Constructive Third Impact occurs during the 25th/26th episodes and the End of Eva movie.
*Spoilers*
But in the end it does matter, because the whole human population dies when Shinji decides to halt the Third Impact, becuase he realises that in the existance of "The One" will lead to no suffering, but also no pleasure, nor individuality, something Shinji struggle to find in the series.

Red Angel
31st December 2002, 01:19 PM
I just finished watching the 1st 4 episodes of Eva (fabsubbed, borowed off my friend)... I must commend the person who made the disks... the entire Eva series, AND death & rebirth, all on 3 700mb CDs... O_o

My preliminary thoughts... nice, very nice, if a bit depressing and moody at times... I think Modern Casualty's review summs it up really nicely (as far as I've watched)...

edit: lots of spellchecking done...

RedStarWarrior
31st December 2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by PlatinumHawke
No offense MC, but you are off a bit in your information. The main character's name is Ikari Shinji, not Senji. And if that's what the sub say, then it's way off base.

"Fly Me To The Moon," sung by Ayanami Rei seiyuu, Hayashibara Megumi, is a cover of the same song, which was sung back in the mid 60's by Frank Sinatra.

Thirdly, Shinji doesn't save the world from the Third Impact by killing Kaoru in the 24th episode. He only prevents the Destructive Third Impact from occuring. The Constructive Third Impact occurs during the 25th/26th episodes and the End of Eva movie.
*Spoilers*
But in the end it does matter, because the whole human population dies when Shinji decides to halt the Third Impact, becuase he realises that in the existance of "The One" will lead to no suffering, but also no pleasure, nor individuality, something Shinji struggle to find in the series.
I see. Well, I haven't seen 'Death and Rebirth' or 'End of Evangelion' yet. I just spelled Shinji's name wrong...sorry.

Red Angel
13th January 2003, 12:28 AM
just finished watching 1-26... now just gotta watch Death & Rebirth and End of Eva...

as for 1-26... I makes sense! O_o

<gasp>

<falls over>

<gets back up>

25 and 26 were really... well... odd... but hey, at least the series makes sense now... I can see why people dislike it, though... having to watch every episode to avoid major confusion can be a major bummer... but I loved every minute of it...

</propoganda>