PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Forum Banner Contest!!!! Read now!!!

Meowth_Kitten
19th August 2003, 04:23 PM
Yup, thats right! We are holding another forum banner contest! Those of you who have been around long enough may remember the past contest we held. I sadly don't remember the banner that won, but I do remember the contest.

The subject has been brought up to all mods to come up with banners to host in their forums. Most mods are just deciding what kind of banner they want themselves, but here in Fan Art, we're going to let you all decide, design, and make your own banners. Then we'll vote. Which ever one wins will be submitted to the administrater to be put on the top of the Fan Art forum. I do believe that after all the other forum mods have decided their banner designs, they will come here for you to design. I'll let them explain that when the time comes.

RULES-

1. This banner needs to be Pokemon related.
2. This banner needs to be art related (ie. Meowth covered in
blue and red paint, holding a paint brush)
3. It'd be great if the banner had lots of colors.
4. Banner must be serious, not stupid and goofy. Humor is
allowed, but needs to be art related. (ie. Eevee painting
picture of Mona Lisa or a dot on a solid background)
5. Banner sizes are not yet decided on, so it'd be better if you
didn't actually start making the banner until I edit this with the
info you need. I'd suggest you just start designing and forming
ideas for your banner.

I don't think there is an exact due date, but I would believe we'd like to have the banners within a month.

PLEASE NOTE:
I am not 100% sure that these banners will be able to be displayed. This is an idea that the mods have beed thinking about for awhile now. Everything is up to Kevin to decide, of course. But more than likely it will all work out. So please don'te wine and complain if this whole thing doesn't work. You won't be the only one who is disappointed.

When we do give you the sizes and the banners are completed, please do not post them here. Instead, PM or email them to each of us mods so we can see them in advance.

Questions-
Contact me via PM or email at drum_stix_12@yahoo.com .
Or contact Nuriko or Lightning via PM or their email addresses.

Any ideas?
Contact us mods and let us know! Don't be afraid to express your ideas and suggestions, it might help!

For those of you who plan on making a banner and entering it into the contest, good luck. Again, I strongly suggest you don't make the banner just yet until sizes are determined. Just decide what you'd like to do and design it. Have fun!!!!

~Meowth_Kitten~

Katie
21st August 2003, 08:57 PM
whoa wait a sec kevin is still alive? :o ;)

sweet, this sounds so cool ^^ I think I'll enter again, my last one was.. erm... what's the word I'm looking for oh yeah BAD. XD btw lightning won the last one with her banner of pichu holding up the pic that said 'to tpm fanart forum' or something like that ;x yeah, can't wait for this to start, post up the sizes soon =D

~Katie

Andrew
21st August 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Chris
A sensible limit for the size of a banner on vB (based on the default vB scheme, which is most like the Blue, Green, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red and Yellow schemes here) would be 400x150, or thereabouts. It would just be the size which wouldn't be enormous for 56kers (providing it's not a JPEG or something stupid like that), wouldn't be too big for 800x600 (but anyone that still is using 800x600 or lower seriously needs to consider getting a new monitor), and wouldn't waste too much bandwidth (if you use a sensible file format, like PNG).

And a transparent background apparently. *Shrugs*

*Runs*

BTW did anyone ever do my only request ^^;;;

Meowth_Kitten
22nd August 2003, 04:38 PM
Well, there you have it, all! ^ The sizes! Thanks, OzAndrew! Contest banners will now be accepted! Let the contest begin!!! ~.~*

VirtualPlay
25th August 2003, 04:42 PM
Something I've noticed that's horribly wrong with PNG files and transparency: they don't really come out transparent on Windows IE.

They work perfectly well for the 5% of us on Macs and the other 5% using Netscape/Mozilla, but that still leaves about 90% of TPM unable to see transparent PNG files. So either decide on transparency and low quality gif files, or on no transparency and higher quality PNG files.

Dragonfree
26th August 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by VirtualPlay
Something I've noticed that's horribly wrong with PNG files and transparency: they don't really come out transparent on Windows IE.

They work perfectly well for the 5% of us on Macs and the other 5% using Netscape/Mozilla, but that still leaves about 90% of TPM unable to see transparent PNG files. So either decide on transparency and low quality gif files, or on no transparency and higher quality PNG files.
It's only PNG-24 that doesn't work on IE. PNG-8 works fine, and it can have transparency too. Just not multi-level transparency.

Gligar_Man
14th September 2003, 02:53 AM
*puts some money on tofu*

Thy
14th September 2003, 08:14 AM
What type of picture (GIF, PNG, JPG, ...) should we use for our banners? Mine's ready, I just need to send it in when I know the type. I'm guessing PNG but I just wanted to check.

Meowth_Kitten
14th September 2003, 10:17 AM
So either decide on transparency and low quality gif files, or on no transparency and higher quality PNG files.

There's your answer, Thy. I really don't know any better ways. That quote is from VirtualPlay, so if you want the whole post, just scroll up and read it for yourself. That should hopefully answer any questions you have. =) Can't wait to see your banner!

Gligar_Man: Don't spam like that again or its a warning for you.

tofu
16th September 2003, 10:09 AM
all i need to know is the due date

Meowth_Kitten
16th September 2003, 05:00 PM
As of now, we know of no due date. It will be posted when the date is decided, but since this banner thing is being held for all the forums rather than just here in Fan Art, I'm not sure the date. I'll give you all a temp. date though. How about one month from today? 10/19 will be our due date, but it is very likely to change, whether sooner or later, I can't tell you that much because I don't know. =)

Flareon-trainer
24th September 2003, 10:08 PM
Why would PNGs be better? I know that people have said that it's a higher quality format but is it normal for the file sizes to reach 200KB when a little compression in JPG with the same image only takes up 40KB?

Azura Stardust
11th October 2003, 09:51 PM
PNGS have transparency capability (while JPGS do not) so they fit with every theme. So do GIFs, but they have highly limited colours...

Dah, I'd do some of the banners if I FOUND MY GODDAMN SPECTACLES. @____@ nhooooo