PDA

View Full Version : Masato's English Name

Animelee
20th August 2003, 11:48 PM
My friend from Germany said that they're getting a sneak peak at all the AG episodes everyday for the rest of this week. Yesterday, they played the third AG episode, where Masato joins the group in Petalburg City.

I went to bed before I could talk to my friend about the episode, but my friend said that the commercial said something about Masato's name being "Max".

Since Germany buys the episodes from America, everything is left the same as the English version in the German version. The songs are translated, and the 4Kids BGMs are still there. The names are ALWAYS left the name, and so it's most probably that Masato's English name will be Max.

I'll ask my friend later, when he wakes up and comes on MSN. :D

I'll update this topic ASAP, too. :)

Mikey
20th August 2003, 11:55 PM
Hmm, Max sounds all right. Ha, May and Max. I was still hoping for something like Matthew or Mikey:D , but Mazx sounds funny. Guess it works.

DannyBoy
20th August 2003, 11:57 PM
That sounds like a good name for him. But I could see them calling him Matthew maybe cause it sounds smarter IMO. Matso sounds like Matt to so that is another thing. Thats some cool info, I hope it is. It fits him. Germany is damn lucky though getting sneak peaks all week! But I guess mAx would do to.

Meganiquil155
21st August 2003, 12:04 AM
I have a couple questions for anyone who saw it

Did they mention Hazuki and Junichi in the sneak peek?

If they did, what were their names?

Animelee
21st August 2003, 12:12 AM
Nope, Germany didn't get Master Quest yet, so after this week, they'll be showing Master Quest, and then they'll start AG some time next year.

Sucks for them, eh?

Chris 2.1
21st August 2003, 05:05 AM
Max is a very clever name, a boy at my school is very posh called Maxymillian Loth-Hill and he has an IQ o about 60000! Geezh.

I imagined Augustus, it's the same syllable structure, and would fit, and also thought Mathew for no reason ><

Oh well, it's still A&B&M&M!

Light_Togetic
21st August 2003, 11:35 AM
Max, huh? Yeah, I could see Masato being called Max. It's also the name most similar to May's. They both have 'Ma' in the beginning, and they're three letters long. That's probably why they'd pick that particular name.

Animelee
21st August 2003, 12:20 PM
My German friend said that his name is indeed Max.
He also mentionned that ALL the BGMs are replaced, except for the Hoenn BGM for Team Rocket's motto.

Damn 4Kids!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st August 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Otaku Shigeru

Since Germany buys the episodes from America, everything is left the same as the English version in the German version. The songs are translated, and the 4Kids BGMs are still there. The names are ALWAYS left the name, and so it's most probably that Masato's English name will be Max.

Hm, as far as I know, the Germans have actually changed some Pokémon names. I do not know about human names though, other than Ash is still Ash, so perhaps Masato, too.

Pokejello
22nd August 2003, 06:48 AM
I know a good friend and he even made some pics of a couple of the AG episodes in Germany.

Totodilemew
22nd August 2003, 10:11 AM
Damn 4Kids and their replacing of BGM's.....I like the name Max for Masato.

Rocketboy
22nd August 2003, 03:11 PM
Um, I don't want to sound like a square but what's BGM? And I really like the name Max. I have a friend named Max too..

Animelee
22nd August 2003, 09:39 PM
BGM = background music.

Why does 4Kids have to change the track? I didn't mind what they used to do, just filling it parts with no BGMs, but, now, they're totally revamping (sp) the soundtracks, it's unbearable.

They're going "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters" on Pokemon now, and I hate it. :mad:

Black Skull Dragon
23rd August 2003, 12:48 AM
A little bit of Yugioh BGM wouldnt be so awful, but that's just my opinion.
I kinda like the name Max for Masato. Matt woulda been good too, but what do I know? :P

Animelee
23rd August 2003, 08:09 AM
I also thought of something else. Since they're bro and sis, their names are similar (we knew this), but you know you that males have the "Y chromosome" and females have the "X chromosome", right? Well, maybe May and Max have a Latias/Latios relationship? Because, say, for example, you're playing Ruby, then you'll only be able to find LatiOS in the wild, but if you're playing Sapphire, you'll only be able to find LatiAS inthe wild. It's like they switched "colours", kind of how May and Max switched chromosomes.

God, I don't know HOW to explain it, but I'll keep trying.

Like, we know how each Pokemon should match their colour, right? Like, ummm, it would make more sense for LatiAS to be found in the wild in Ruby, and LatiOS to be found in Sapphire? See, they switched, kind of... That's how May and Max's names are...?

Yes, yes, I know you can catch the Pokemon with the matching colour to your game by using the Eon Ticket, but, I, argh...

I hope you guys are understanding what I'm failing to say properly... >_<

Warp O
23rd August 2003, 09:09 AM
Yea i get it.

I totally agree. I can see Masato becoming Max...to me it just fits. Hope it happens.

Hanada Tattsu
25th August 2003, 12:01 PM
Max?

Meh, it's okay. I think what they'll do is say that "It's short for Maximillian" and they'll just call him Max or something, I dunno.

But it sucks how they're changing the BGM.

Light_Togetic
25th August 2003, 02:30 PM
What?! OMG, I absolutely do not understand why 4Kids must redo every one of their show's music! Wouldn't it cost more money for them? Wouldn't the easy way out just be to keep the original music?? Besides the fact that their music isn't the, er, best music in the world... And I'm sorry but I personally get tired of hearing Pikachu's Vacation BGM twice in every episode...

And then I watch old episodes of the show and say to myself, "Wow, this music rocks... whatever happened to it?"

Hanada Tattsu
25th August 2003, 05:15 PM
The old episodes usually contained the Japanese music, which is always good, as Japan makes great music. :D

But in Johto, and even in late Kanto, they started cutting it out.

pikasaiyan
25th August 2003, 05:41 PM
Ah man ive seen a few of the japanese episodes and i really love the music its so amazing, i see no reason y they have to change it grrrr.

Black Skull Dragon
25th August 2003, 06:44 PM
I guess I'll just have to wait until AG comes out to find out what BGM changes you all are complaining about. I heard rumors that it is gonna sound a bit like Yugioh, and that wouldnt be so terrible, but that 's my opinion, and that doesnt usually count.

Hanada Tattsu
26th August 2003, 12:02 AM
All the BGM's of Yugioh are based on the opening theme, so unless Pokemon doesn't get a new good dub theme, we're dommed.

Nikku-San
30th August 2003, 06:37 PM
Animelee, I get what you're saying and I completely agree. May and Max must be transvestites. :P j/k!

I like the name, it's pretty neat, though all the M's are getting montonous. Ummm... I think that's all I have to say on the subject, since I know nothing about the character. I might inquire about the German AG theme though.... :D

Animelee
30th August 2003, 08:57 PM
When they aired the first five AG episodes in Germany, they used the German version of Master Quest's opening, because they're only getting Master Quest now.

Hanada Tattsu
31st August 2003, 06:39 PM
Basically, Germany and Italy usually base their dubs off the American dub. Animelee, did your friend say what Norman's wife Mitsuko's dub name is? Thanks.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
1st September 2003, 02:56 AM
I have done some reseach on German Pokémon pages and it appears there are some differences with people's names as well. For example Brock is 'Rocko' in Germany, Oak 'Eich' (that's actually German for the tree in question) and Officer Jenny 'Rocky'. (<-LOL) See this for proof:

http://www.edu.haapavesi.fi/~mitanska/saksaa.jpg

I haven't found Max or Norman's wife's name there yet, but, however, we cannot be 100% sure if their English names are the same. But it makes sense to have a name similar to your sister's...But as far as chromosomes are concerned, you cannot call your daugter 'Max' and son 'May', can you, Animelee?:rolleyes:

And I should have mentioned already in the first post, I really appreciate RTL II (the German channel) for what they have done. Those guys know Europe needs anime, for instance they have showed all the seasons of Sailor Moon, and now this sneak peak on Pokémon AG. Totally unlike here in Finland, we can skip dozens of eppies at a time in a small country like this.

Zhen Lin
1st September 2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu
But as far as chromosomes are concerned, you cannot call your daugter 'Max' and son 'May', can you, Animelee?:rolleyes:

Very funny :) ... I wonder who decided to call it the 'X' chromosome... Well, I suppose it does look like 'X'... but the 'Y' chromosome isn't - It is just a smaller 'X'.

Animelee
1st September 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu
But as far as chromosomes are concerned, you cannot call your daugter 'Max' and son 'May', can you, Animelee?:rolleyes:

Well, not if I don't want them to be called names.

Hanada Tattsu
1st September 2003, 11:31 PM
Also, in the German dub, Tracey is called Tracy, terribly minor, but still something different. Plus, Delia is known as Die Motter Von Ash, which, because I know German, translates to something similar to 'The Mother of Ash'. So she doesn't have a name in Deutshland. Hmm...

Thanks for that!

Pewter City Geodude
2nd September 2003, 01:07 AM
Couldn't resist adding this in...kinda related but not really...sometimes the version of the name in another language is totally different though. People have given one or two examples already, but IMO the best one is Psyduck's name in French:

Psykokwak.

:D :rolleyes: :yes:

edit: In case you're wondering, Golduck = Akwakwak

Hanada Tattsu
2nd September 2003, 01:11 AM
Really? LOL, that sounded Polish, but Polish names include alot of O's, W's, and S's, for some reason. LOL, the French name is hilarious!

Pewter City Geodude
2nd September 2003, 01:13 AM
Yeah it's true. I've seen it on a few different sites. Here's another French one, an example of a slight pronuncation change can turn out funny:

Bulbasaur = Bulbizarre

Hanada Tattsu
2nd September 2003, 01:15 AM
Oh yeah. I know some of the French names, 1) because I know French, and 2) because when my aunt went to France, she had gotten me a special set of French Pokemon cards from one of the card shops in Lyons. She had gotten another set from Marseilles. When my other aunt went to Greece, she got me Greek Pokemon cards from Thessaloniki and Athens. :o

Bulbizarre, lol.

Pewter City Geodude
2nd September 2003, 01:18 AM
Wow cool. I took French every grade up until grade 10 (that was the last year I took it) so I know some but it's kinda rusty. Mom was a full-time French teacher for years too. But I only know a few French Pokemon names from websites. You may be interested to know (or you may know already):

Ash = Sacha
Misty = Ondine
Brock = Pierre (I think)

Hanada Tattsu
2nd September 2003, 01:19 AM
Yes, Brock is Pierre, it kinda suits him, because people with Pierre are kinda the ladies man, I think. ;)

Animelee
2nd September 2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Pewter City Geodude
Wow cool. I took French every grade up until grade 10 (that was the last year I took it) so I know some but it's kinda rusty. Mom was a full-time French teacher for years too. But I only know a few French Pokemon names from websites. You may be interested to know (or you may know already):

Ash = Sacha
Misty = Ondine
Brock = Pierre (I think)

A little fact -- there are two French dubs! One is from France, with the names you mentionned there, and the other is French-Canadian! The French-Canadian one keeps the English character AND Pokemon names! So, for the France dub, you'll have Sacha and Tortank, but for the French-Canadian dub, you'll have Ash and Blastoise.

:)

Pewter City Geodude
2nd September 2003, 01:39 AM
'S funny...I thought the site I got that info from was talking about the dub they watch in Quebec....could be wrong though.

Nikku-San
2nd September 2003, 12:59 PM
Misty is Ondine? Get it, like undine? Which has something to do with the sea or mermaids, I think... Anyway... Tortank is a good name for Blastoise.

Hanada Tattsu
20th September 2003, 01:03 AM
Really? I didn't know Montreal and Quebec in French Canada got different dubs than the French one. I guess the French spoken there is a little different than the one actually spoken in France.

Pewter City Geodude
20th September 2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
I guess the French spoken there is a little different than the one actually spoken in France.

You got that right. I have a friend who was born in Montreal and is bilingual, and he says it's very different. For one thing, Quebec French is a lot more influenced by English. I know a bit about that myself since I know a little French.

Hanada Tattsu
20th September 2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I know French too, but still, I didn't know the Quebec dialect. Heh, in a few decades, I bet Quebec will speak English from now on.