PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Help! I'm New!

CuteVulpix31
22nd August 2003, 06:38 PM
I need advice, quick! WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I need help with type strategies and what are some good pokemon.

RED VERSION thanks...

RaZoR LeAf
23rd August 2003, 06:26 AM
OK Lets start at the beginning. Your starter is going to be your highest level pokemon for the first half of the game, so you have to decide what you're after in a pokemon.

Bulbasaur (Grass/Poison) uses Super Effective attacks against the first two Gym LEaders, as well as the final Gym Leader and one of the Elite Four. But it's critically weak to some of the stronger types and can't cover any of it's weakness very well.

Squirtle (Water) is super effective against the first Gym Leader, and will fare pretty well against the second. It's also strong against 2 future leaders and can help against the Elite Four. It can cover it's weaknesses well and is pretty sturdy.

Charmander (Fire) is useless against the first two Gym Leaders being at a total disadvantage. He can help against one Gym Leader and partially one Elite Four member. But aside from that, it's final form Charizard is a power house and is very strong.

--

Now, when you've chosen your starter, you have to find some early and useful team members that will help you along until you get to catch your favourites, or your final team. Before you reach the first Gym (two towns away in Pewter City) you encounter the following pokemon:

Rattata (Normal)
Pidgey (Normal Flying)
Nidoran Male (Poison)
Nidoran Female (Poison) [Uncommon]
Spearow (Flying) [Uncommon]
Weedle (Posion/Bug)
Kakuna (Poison/Bug)
Caterpie (Bug) [Uncommon]
Metapod (Bug) [Uncommon]
Pikachu (Electric) [Rare]

If you chose Bulbasaur as your starter, i'd suggest catching a Spearow to help you fight all the Bugs you'll encounter, and the Bug Catchers, the first trainers you'll meet. If you chose Squirtle, you should try and catch a Pikachu, it'll help fight the second Gym Leader. The same with Charmander, grab a Pikachu.

I'd also suggest catching a Rattata and Caterpie. Rattata's Hyper Fang attack is powerful for the early levels of the game and can do alot of damage, while Caterpie's evolved form Butterfree will learn Confusion, a great move to have and the first Psychic typed move this early in the game.

--

Now you've got something that resembles a team, you should be OK to continue your quest. As a basis, it's worth while having pokemon of the following types on your team:

Electric
Water
Psychic
Normal
Ground

The last type can be anything you want, be it your starter, or a pokemon that you like. Some good pokemon that fit into those types are:

Electric - Magneton, Raichu, Jolteon
Water - Starmie, Gyarados, Vaporeon, Blastoise, Lapras
Psychic - Alakazam, Hypno
Normal - Clefable, Wigglytuff, Snorlax
Ground - Nidoking, NIdoqueen, Golem, Sandslash, Dugtrio

It's up to you what pokemon you do choose, of course. If you need any further help, don't worry about asking, we're here to help.

And here's a type chart you can look at to see weaknesses and strengths. It's a bit confusing if your just starting out, so I can make a simpler one if need be.
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/compendium/typechart.htm