PDA

View Full Version : Short Story: The Esaay of the Kantonian-Hoennian War of 2137-9

Zup
6th September 2003, 11:34 PM
By the way, this essay takes into account that this is on another planet.

The Kantonian-Hoennian War
2137-2139

The most recent war between the feuding countries of Hoenn and Kanto is the first to employ the use of "pokemon". Pokemon are animals that have certain elemental qualities and the natural agression and tendancy towards fighting. Kantonians were the first to capture and "train" them, using a new device, the "pokeball". Taming the creatures proved harder than thought, but once under their control, Kantonians knew that they could attack the island country of Hoenn more rapidly and heavily.
Kanto and Hoenn have the longest standing record of fighting in the Pokei Strait. The reasons for these wars are normally minor, such as Kanto having better natural resources, or Johto likes Hoenn's crops better then Kantonian crops. The feuding goes all the way back to the first explorers of the reigon, Jack J. Kanto and Brutus M. Hoenn. The two both found the planet of Kirannes at the same time, and declared it for their countries. When they came back with settlers it is said that Hoenn and Kanto fought over what is now Johto. A miscommunication error led to Kanto inhabiting the western part of Johto, and naming it Kanto, while Hoenn furiously declared the large island off of Kanto's coast to be Hoenn. When found that they were still too close for comfort, the two started arguing over the PC, and then into fistfights. When the first hundred or so settlers came, they either joined Kanto or Hoenn, but a few wanted to stay neutral and took up residence in Johto. The long wars after were mainly because of that fight.
In 2130, Hoennian spies reported that Kanto was amassing an army that was "six to every one of ours". Hoenn started also capturing the nearby creatures that were later called Pokei Monsters, and later shortened to PokeMon, or pokemon. After the Kantonians created a large force, they went and did battle with Hoenn in one of the biggest pokemon battles ever. Pokemon were strange creatures. Even if commanded to, they wouldn't attack humans, and would never kill a member of it's species. After 8 years of continuous battle (In which Pokei Monster Medical Centers became today's PokeCenters) the sides both gave up and called it a draw. It was in the Battle at Mt. Pyre that Lt. Surge gained his well known reputation for defeating 3 pokemon with his six, and paralyzing every one out of commision. And on April 23rd, 2137, the Treaty of Cianwood was signed in Johto, and there has been no ill will towards either country since.
Shortly after the Big War of Pokei Straits, the major generals and military officers created a small championship in Hoenn, Kanto and Johto, where trainers as young as 11 could go out and battle with pokemon in "gyms". They would compete for badges and then try to defeat the best in the league. Many war-zealous men joined and became part of the league. Only Lt. Surge remains as a Gym Leader in the bustling port of Vermillion where he spends his days paralyzing young trainer's pokemon.

Zup
1st October 2003, 06:55 PM
C'mon! Isn't anyone interested in this? I tried hard to get my facts straight, and I'd like help tweaking it and making it more accurate.

Captain Pringle
1st October 2003, 07:00 PM
As the title suggests, this "story" reads more like an essay, or exceprt from a history textbook. If that's the style you're going for, that's fine. But if not, maybe try to add more details to the events in the story, rather than just quickly overviewing everything that happens.

Also, I know this may just be a prologue, so if you plan to change the story's style in the upcoming chapters, your prologue's "essay-style" is excused. :)

Zup
1st October 2003, 08:50 PM
You are correct, this is an essay, seeing that I was doing Humanities essays when I thought it up and thus wrote it. I just thought that maybe people would like an idea of how the Pokemon world began, but then, what do I know. I may eventually write a story of Lt. Surge's exploits, but this is it for now.