PDA

View Full Version : Hyped up games

Cheesey
7th September 2003, 05:49 AM
Hi everyone,

When reading a magazine I subscribe to monthly, they reviewed the Japanese version of Kirby's Air Ride. It came as quite a shock that it only got 51% - A major disappointment since it's from the same company that made Super Smash Brothers Melee. Their verdict was 'There's a seed of potential in the idea, but, as it is, this is a game of supreme linearity that quickly proves dull and unrewarding.' I was looking forward to getting it, but I don't want it any more ~ It's not nice when you're looking forward to a game and it comes out as a major disappointment :|

But I'm still looking forward to other hyped up games, especially Soul Calibur 2, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and F-Zero GX, which was also reviewed - Japanese version of course - and got 93%. So if a game that was reviewed in a totally different language got a score that high, I doubt it's going to be bad xD All I've seen is the speed... And wow it's fast x_x;;;

Soul Calibur 2 won't be a disppointment - Isn't it out in the USA already? Stupid UK release dates... um, anyway, I can tell it's going to be spectacular, as the previews have praised it no end.

Mario Kart... I just can't wait. The other 3 games in the series all rocked, and this one looks breathtaking. Hyped up and I bet it deserves it... It looks spectacular and great fun :3

So are there any games you think were hyped up and came out to be a disappointment? And are there any hyped up games you really want?

PNT510
7th September 2003, 06:39 AM
I found Super Mario Sunshine and Metriod Prime to be disapointing. The camera in Mario was horrible and the game became boring and tedious after just a few hours. Metriod I found to be a half assed adventure game mixed with a half assed shooter. Not my Idea of fun.

The hyped game that I want for Gamecube is Rouge Squadron 3. I loved the first two, and the video to the thrid one looks cool.

Lezta
7th September 2003, 06:43 AM
HalfLife 2

.... it probably deserves it though. Trying to avoid hype is hard :(

SuperLedian
9th September 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by PNT510
I found Super Mario Sunshine and Metriod Prime to be disapointing.

Very few people will agree with you there. Just thought i'd let you know. :wave:

Well, obvious choice for hyped-up disappointments are Enter the Matrix and Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. Very buggy, almost unplayable games at times that just utterly disappointed. And a hyped-up game I want is Soul Calibur 2. I dunno if its received that much hype, but it has received a lot more than virtua fighter or other "tekken-style" fighting simulators.

Outlaw JT
11th September 2003, 05:35 PM
PNT: obviously you must not be very good at platformers to dismiss Mario Sunshine so easily. The variety in it is just sheer brilliance. While it isn't the revolution people were hoping for with Mario it is a wonderfully executed game and the camera was actually very good once you learned how to work it which takes most people only 30 minutes or so to master.

As for hyped games that fell short? Enter the Matrix would be the current number one on this list. Uber amounts of hype and it is arguably the worst game of the year. Every Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2 also falls under this category. Now lets delve into some more classic disappointments.
Black & White for PC: while a decent game in and of itself it failed to deliver half of what was promised by the developers before its release.
Superman 64: arguably one of the worst games in history, superman 64 was really hyped as being a revolution in gaming for bringing Superman into 3D. Obviously it fell short of expectations.
Resident Evil 0: it recieved all the hype of a new RE game but failed to deliver anything new. It offered a couple of innovative new concepts to the series but ultimately it was just more of the same with a rushed plot filled in to satisfy some die-hard fans.
E.T.: undoubtedly the worst game in video gaming history. This was supposed to be the game to bring movie licensing to gaming back in the day but thanks to time restrictions and no direction it became the biggest piece of crap to ever grace the Atari or any other system.
Dreamcast: the entire system. It pains me to say it but it is true. What should've have been the greatest system of it's short period was overshadowed and overlooked by numerous gamers who were swayed by the qualityless flash of Sony. The dreamcast was majorly hyped as Sega's savior, the machine that would revive them as a hardware competitor. It ended up being the final nail in their coffin as the system consistantly failed to bring in third party developers leaving the system with little but Sega's own offerings to appease its owners. while the system and it's library is by no means disappointing it's lack of support from the gaming community is in my mind one of the biggest disappointments in gaming.
The Hulk: I know no one will agree with me as it has recieved good reviews and is selling very well. However, I think it is a huge disappontment. The control scheme was mediocre and with the complete lack of a workable camera they failed to work as I needed them to half the time. By the middle of the first level I got tired of making blind jumps and attacks at things I couldn't see behind all the obstructing walls. The attack combo system seemed fairly uninventive and plain. The graphics were hardly worthy of the current gen systems. The camera is absolutely pitiful. With no ability to adjust the camera I found myself endlessly trying to locate hidden guards and soldiers behind angled walls and train cars and catwalks. At best half of the enemies in any given area were visible on the screen which doesn't make for a good beat em up in my opinion.

GreenShirT
12th September 2003, 08:15 PM
Doshin the Giant is the most over hyped game ever. Months before it weas released I had been hearing such great things about it and it sounded really good but when I bought it I found it to be a hug let down.
It wasnt fun to play and it just didn't make me want to play it at all. I sold it within a week of getting it.

Laz-E-Boy
12th September 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by PNT510
I found Super Mario Sunshine and Metriod Prime to be disapointing.

I agree with you 100%...about Mario Sunshine.

That game just got too damn boring after a while. WAAAAAYYYYY too easy for me. One of the few games I never bothered to actually finish, and I finish every game I play. Of course, hearing how easy the boss was didn't help either.

Metroid Prime was okay to me. I liked it. Mabye it could have been better, but I got no real beef.

woz
13th September 2003, 12:07 PM
i agree with PNT about mario sunshine and metroid prime. i found metroid prime extremely boring and didn't bother to finish it...i'm going to say final fantasy tactics advance; i was pretty hyped about this game, but it failed to meet my expectations for it. add kingdom hearts to that list...some controversial choices, but it is my opinion.

SuperLedian
13th September 2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by woz
i agree with PNT about mario sunshine and metroid prime. i found metroid prime extremely boring and didn't bother to finish it...i'm going to say final fantasy tactics advance; i was pretty hyped about this game, but it failed to meet my expectations for it. add kingdom hearts to that list...some controversial choices, but it is my opinion.

wow, then wat games do you like ? Well, besides the classic stuff on dreamcast and N64 (*cough*Goldeneye*cough*) or even SNES, what new gen stuff is good? Just curious, cuz the stuff you mentioned above is among the best new gen systems have to offer.

Edit: It's been buggin me: what was your first member name b4 "woz" called agin? I've been trying to remember all day; "Christian" something screams out at me for some reason... :confused:

Cheesey
13th September 2003, 02:58 PM
Wow, I thought Mario Sunshine was realy good =\ I still haven't finished it, but then again I'm utterly crap at actually finishing them xD

Another game that got a lot of hype was Animal Crossing ~ What are your views on that? It never got released in the UK, but I think it's getting one at some point...

It'd be nice if Metal Gear Solid lives up to expectations ~ It might attract people to the GC, and it's a bonus if it's good xD Same thing goes for Final Fantasy on the GC, it's a well known series and FINALLY it comes back to a Nintendo console :>

Other than that, I know 1080 Avalanche and Starfox 2 are hyped, but I don't have much of a view on those two =\

Kokomo
13th September 2003, 03:16 PM
It'd be nice if Metal Gear Solid lives up to expectations ~ It might attract people to the GC, and it's a bonus if it's good xD Same thing goes for Final Fantasy on the GC, it's a well known series and FINALLY it comes back to a Nintendo console :>

Speaking of remakes I'd really like to see what would happen if the rumored remake of FF7 was made and put on GC.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
14th September 2003, 03:00 AM
The most hyped video game which then turned out to be the biggest load of monkey balls was Metal Gear Solid 2. The first part of the game was somewhat fun, eventhough ridiculously easy but once you had to play with that Raven guy the game's quality went down the drain.

You had no ability to play freely at all, the game was always pushing you into a certain direction, even the original Metal Gear was better. Every five seconds you were tormented by some video or hour long communication with the colonel. Storyline is important, but if the storyline and video watching takes up more time then it takes you to run through that game then it starts to get pathetic. If I want to see nothing but FMV's and chit chat I go and see a movie. Where's the fun in a game when you waltz into a room, kill the two awkward guards without even trying to hide and once you turn around the corner - another video. Next room, repeat. You cross the bridge - the colonel gives you a call.

This game was so extremely disappointing, it went straight to my "once and never again" shelf. The end of the game was the best thing, 30 minutes of FMV's and talking, followed by a 2 minute boss fight which was so easy I could do it with a hand tied on my back. Then 30 more minutes of FMV's and talking - and that's it.

The Muffin Man
14th September 2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Kokomo
Speaking of remakes I'd really like to see what would happen if the rumored remake of FF7 was made and put on GC.

I'd buy a GC, that's what..

Yes. A second gamecube. Why not? I'm crazy...*goes off to sleep*

Ultimate Pikachu
14th September 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Cheesey
Hi everyone,

When reading a magazine I subscribe to monthly, they reviewed the Japanese version of Kirby's Air Ride. It came as quite a shock that it only got 51% - A major disappointment since it's from the same company that made Super Smash Brothers Melee. Their verdict was 'There's a seed of potential in the idea, but, as it is, this is a game of supreme linearity that quickly proves dull and unrewarding.' I was looking forward to getting it, but I don't want it any more ~ It's not nice when you're looking forward to a game and it comes out as a major disappointment :|

But I'm still looking forward to other hyped up games, especially Soul Calibur 2, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and F-Zero GX, which was also reviewed - Japanese version of course - and got 93%. So if a game that was reviewed in a totally different language got a score that high, I doubt it's going to be bad xD All I've seen is the speed... And wow it's fast x_x;;;

Soul Calibur 2 won't be a disppointment - Isn't it out in the USA already? Stupid UK release dates... um, anyway, I can tell it's going to be spectacular, as the previews have praised it no end.

Mario Kart... I just can't wait. The other 3 games in the series all rocked, and this one looks breathtaking. Hyped up and I bet it deserves it... It looks spectacular and great fun :3

So are there any games you think were hyped up and came out to be a disappointment? And are there any hyped up games you really want?

Why do you trust a magazine? I don't trust any magazine for what game I want. I just rent most games first and see if I like it. It doesn't hurt to try.

PNT510
14th September 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw JT
PNT: obviously you must not be very good at platformers to dismiss Mario Sunshine so easily. The variety in it is just sheer brilliance. While it isn't the revolution people were hoping for with Mario it is a wonderfully executed game and the camera was actually very good once you learned how to work it which takes most people only 30 minutes or so to master.

I can play platformers just fine. This game also have little variety, its just a bunch of levels with water. Also the camera is horrid even after you master it.

Cheesey
15th September 2003, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Pikachu, I don't totally trust magazines, but I know this one is very reliable - And when a game gets as low a score as Kirby's Air Ride did, it's gotta be pretty bad =/ I was thinking of renting it just to see anyway, because like you said it doesn't hurt to try. Just saying that it was really hyped up but apparently it's boring =\

And you didn't need to quote my whole post, really xD

Crazy
16th September 2003, 04:49 PM
ANIMAL CROSSING RULES!! I don't know why it is fun,but for some reason it is.

PNT510
16th September 2003, 05:20 PM
Now that someone meantion Animal Crossing I must say Animal Crossing = Best reason to own a gamecube.

Nace
16th September 2003, 10:44 PM
Didn't DK64 receive a lot of hype? That game was frustrating. It's bad enough that you have to race a giant beetle, but you have to collect coins at the same time! And the stupid beetle has the nerve to laugh at you when you can't do it!! *strangles Rare*

Razola
16th September 2003, 10:46 PM
DK wasn't bad, but was over-hyped. It took the collection-cliche to extremes, which took the fun out of the game.

The first Banjo-Kazooie was a lot more balanced in collecting stuff than later Rare platformers.

Nace
17th September 2003, 12:29 AM
The first banjo-kazooie? Isn't that the one where you had to collect all the notes (500 wasn't it?) in one shot without dying? That was HELL. Banjo-Tooie was better in that respect, even if the plot was lacking. Stupid 3D platformers.

Knux
17th September 2003, 01:21 AM
I'm no Matrix fan, which may explain why I had absolutely no fun playing Enter the Matrix; that, and the fact that I tend to prefer more fantasy-based, unrealistic games (yes, more unrealistic then being able to run up walls and dodge bullets). Also the fact that everyone else seems to agree that it sucks. And all that money they spent to make it... tsk, tsk.