PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of the new HP limit

Roarkiller
7th September 2003, 10:44 PM
Man, when was the last time i posted a topic here? ANyway, juz my thoughts on the new pkmn.

Why i think the new HP limits is CRAZY:

Saw the pkmn's HP lately? and Blissey was supposed to have the highest HP in the game. I shudder to think what Blissey Ex's HP will be if it ever appears. Wailord Ex has 200HP, Typhlo has 160.

Not that it wont make some players happy, but with the new HP, theres gonna be more decking out than ever. Think about it; i create a deck centered around wailord's mad HP. Wailmer already has a HP of 80, very hard to beat in one turn, let alone the 1st turn. Next turn, i simply search for the almighty, stick in a gold berry and rampage away. And oh, i got 3 more gold berries, plus super potions, berries, pkmn nurse, pkcenter, bla bla... know what i mean?

Let's think of how to defeat this piece of sh!t: first u need to set up a pkmn that can do at least 80. Pack 4 pluspowers if ur not certain. Blast the wailord.

Oh look, i got 5 healing cards in my hand. Bye bye damage.

Seriously, the only way to defeat wailord is to make sure he cant run away, destroy his energy AND have a pkmn with a big attack, and u have to hit him at least TWICE?!

You can argue that i can always attack the benched pkmn for the 6 prize. That is until u realize that all his bench also have high HP. Not to mention that unlike crystal pkmn, u can have MORE than 1 of the same Ex pkmn. Imagine 3 wailords on the bench and one in front. Seriously, even the magnificent sneasel who is capable of doing exactly 210 max needs lotsa luck to pull it off (btw, its 6 heads w/ 4 dark, 4 pluspower and one forgot-whazzit-called).

You tell ME how to win.

Dark-San
7th September 2003, 10:55 PM
Yos lolz the game is getting more and more ridiculous. Seriously Nitendo need to put more thinking into the game...

Water Pokemon Master
8th September 2003, 07:20 PM
There is a very easy way to win. If Wailord is out and is weak to grass and lightning, than say you have a PKMN that can do 50 damage. In 2 turns, Wailord will be gone. Otherwise, scream like crazy when your opponent sends it out. AND since Wailmer and Wailord are one of my favorite W-PKMN, I am going to try and get three of them in my deck, along with Eevee and Vaporeon.

Misdreavus
8th September 2003, 11:05 PM
Since the line is weak to Lightning, you can use Electabuzz's Thunderpunch on turn 2 (you will need to go first in order to do this or they will have the chance to evolve) and kill off Wailmer with a bit of luck from a coin flip before it evolves (or use 2 PlusPowers to kill it for sure). Once your opponent has successfully gotten Wailord out, you can kill it Base/LC Zapdos's Thunderbolt attack. There is also the option of something like Aerodactly to prevent Wailmer from evolving.

Roarkiller
8th September 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Darkyouth
Yos lolz the game is getting more and more ridiculous. Seriously Nitendo need to put more thinking into the game...

Nintendo didnt make the cards, TPC did.

Originally posted by Misdreavus
Since the line is weak to Lightning, you can use Electabuzz's Thunderpunch on turn 2 (you will need to go first in order to do this or they will have the chance to evolve) and kill off Wailmer with a bit of luck from a coin flip before it evolves (or use 2 PlusPowers to kill it for sure). Once your opponent has successfully gotten Wailord out, you can kill it Base/LC Zapdos's Thunderbolt attack. There is also the option of something like Aerodactly to prevent Wailmer from evolving.

Nice idea. But then ur deck would be designed only to kill wailord, and may be vulnerable to other deck types. And that idea STILL depends on luck.What what i see, the 1st thing wailord deck makes will do is find a way to get it out by turn 2, like raindance decks.

The only idea floating in my head is to tech in a card or two in my deck to counter any wailord deck that comes along. For now, that only equates to promo mew to devolve a wailord w/ 80 damage. Unless there's a better tech card out there.

Nikku-San
11th September 2003, 03:35 PM
Wow! That sounds awesome! Battles are too short as it is, giving more HP and making Pokemon harder to beat really adds more of a challenge to the game.

Roarkiller
11th September 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Nikku-San
Wow! That sounds awesome! Battles are too short as it is, giving more HP and making Pokemon harder to beat really adds more of a challenge to the game.

Eh, too short? :o My average game lasts longer than 10 minutes, my longest stretching almost an hour. And mind u, my opponents were playing supposedly FAST decks.

Alec Trevelyan
16th September 2003, 12:30 PM
hum, i have to disagree with that, okay, HP's are higher, but dont forget that attacks got higher too, no? So, the game will keep the same speed 8)

Dark-San
16th September 2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Alec Trevelyan
hum, i have to disagree with that, okay, HP's are higher, but dont forget that attacks got higher too, no? So, the game will keep the same speed 8)

Higher attack = higher energy cost = slower game! Anyway the average timing of finishing a modified game would be roughly ard half an hour?

Razola
16th September 2003, 08:11 PM
At least evolved pokemon have some real meat on them now.

Must be why they're adding stuff like dual-weaknesses. To balance out the larger HP?

Alec Trevelyan
16th September 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Darkyouth
Higher attack = higher energy cost = slower game! Anyway the average timing of finishing a modified game would be roughly ard half an hour?

Hum, i may disagree in a couple of points: to begin, the higher energy cost, isnt "higher" mostly attacks as i see need 4 energies, or 5, but the ones w/ 5 can use DCE, so, let's back to 4. Old school pokemon (good ol' times) used mostly same way, 3 energies, 40 to 50 dmg, and now w/ 4 energies u do 60. Ok, i must say that the first pokemon will be slower, but once it begins, the speed is almost the same, a bit slower imo, so slow that i dont count. Nowdays we wont see so many "haymaker" (ok, hay derivants too), obviously the main reason is the higher HP of EX basics and higher HP of evolved... wow, sneasel wont do 200 dmg in a single hit, uh (in normal conditions, no plus power)? The metagame will be slower, not the game, i think many guys here are mixing those 2 facts. This new hp limit to me is messing the game, for those who like fast decks, now the game will be more like mtg, you have to think twice after doing something, uh? Wow, i wrote a bit much, let's stop here :P

Cya :wave: :wave: :wave:

Roarkiller
16th September 2003, 10:26 PM
Thats not too much. U see pop down in misc to see my essays.

Unfortunately, attack damages r NOT getting bigger at all. The HP r, but not the damage. Hell, they didnt even improve on the energy-damage ratio. In fact, some r even worse.

Ooh, i wouldnt wanna imagine playing against one of this crazy HP w/o a weakness advantage. One of us will prolly deck out b4 anyone wins.

Coincidentally, ive juz thought of mewtwo mulligan, wailord style. Pile in 4 wailord+wailmer, energy and nothing but drawing and healing trainers.

Razola
16th September 2003, 10:43 PM
That might not work because you'd still risk getting the poor guy knocked out and then you'd lose via empty bench.

mic_128
19th September 2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Wailord Ex has 200HP, Typhlo has 160.

Oh dear god! This is going to cheapen tournies. Waillordathons. I perfered it when the highest HP was 120 (Not including the Zap/Molt/Art combo card) This is horible. The guys I used to vs at the lague (which will hopefully be revived soon) and I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of wailord. Sigh. Wailord is in Ruby/Saph EX isn't it? or is it in Sandstorm? Us Aussies have only recently gotten Ru/Sa ex.

Water Pokemon Master
19th September 2003, 08:44 AM
Though it has 200 HP, you have to evolve it and get 4 water energy on it and you can only do 100 damage minus how many damage counters are on it. Also, it has a weakness to grass and lightning.

Roarkiller
20th September 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Water Pokemon Master
Though it has 200 HP, you have to evolve it and get 4 water energy on it and you can only do 100 damage minus how many damage counters are on it. Also, it has a weakness to grass and lightning.

I thought it was 5 energy? But it doesnt matter. The prob is not on what wailord can do or can't do, its what it can or cannot withstand. And at 200HP, it can withstand quite a bit.

U think about it, in the old days, how many ppl actually bothered to use chansey's 2nd attack? Oh no, the majority use chansey as a staller; they see double-edge as a suicide move and wont use it in normal circumstances, until gold berry and metal came along.