PDA

View Full Version : A good book always involves the reader in the story

PancaKe
8th September 2003, 01:52 AM
A Good Book Always involves the reader in the story. Do you agree or disagree? This is the essay question that we have for our wide reading assignment this term, and I think it is rather interesting as it does have a lot to do with the fanfic board.

So do you agree or disagree?

Personally I think that a good book does involve the reader in the story. Whenever I read a particularily good book I always feel as if I am there, watching it all happen, or as if I am part of the group in the book, in with them. I can feel their hatred and I can feel their passion and sorrows. I think that's what makes a good book, being able to get involved in the story.

So I agree.

~Mist

Iveechan
8th September 2003, 06:10 PM
Yes, it does. It's great when a reader can relate to the main character's emotions, it makes them want to read more. Like *advertising* I have gotten feedback on my fic from people saying that they could feel Champ's fears.

mr_pikachu
8th September 2003, 09:48 PM
Yeah, typically that's the case. The most popular books are the ones that really wrench your heart, and make you actually feel what's going on as if you're part of the story. Even if there are several main characters, you feel their emotions as a group, as well as individuals at different times throughout the book/fic. I have actually come somewhat close to breaking down over some of the best fanfics here, such as LVH, WDC, and LtL. EBTV is more comedic, but it still makes me feel like I'm along for the ride, which is another reason why it is one of the best. There are a few fics by writers who I feel haven't gotten as much attention as they deserve, as well. These include classy_cat18's A Doolittle of Pokemon, which starts funny but slowly get into a serious tone (very serious, if you've read the new update). Then there's ZeldaFan20's A Bittersweet Reunion and To the Rainbow's End, with the second being the sequel of the first. We pretty much knew for most of the first fic what was going to eventually happen, but a lot of the side plots were surprising, as well as the end result... you've got to read it to see what I mean. And the sequel's been a funny/serious thrill; ride so far, but I have a feeling it's about to get a lot more intense...

Anyway, those are my thoughts, most of which you wouldn't dare use on an essay (i.e. the ones talking about our forum). ;) But hey, I hope I answered your question adequately. :wave:

Chris 2.1
11th September 2003, 01:00 PM
Oh yes, I agree 100%. I love reading a book and thinking "Of course he did the right thing! ___ was being a jackass!"

Like Harry Potter, book4, when Harry & Ron fall out: Ron was a complete bastard for lashing out at Harry, but in a sense I CAN see his side of the argument, which is probs since its in 3rd person not 1st.....Maybe.

I think when we're thrown into a situation in fiction, we would always do what is on paper; i'd never say "Let's be easy on him" Because i'm a pacifist; I'd always feel enough resent to lash out at someone if I was so involved in a book.

So...umm...yea, if that makes sense :P

Dragonfree
11th September 2003, 05:20 PM
Of course. But feeling real hate towards a character while reading is what appeals to me the most. If a story's got a character I can really, really hate, then I love the story. There aren't many bad guys I can hate that much. To take Harry Potter as an example like Chris did, I've never had an easier time hating a character than in TOotP with Umbridge. I've found that it's a lot easier to hate her than something like Voldemort. OK, maybe the hate thing is just me. Another example from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry scared me at the start when he was yelling at Ron and Hermione. And to take another book... The Neverending Story. I was afraid to read it for a long time because I was afraid something terrible would happen. There are many other examples of that, I just don't remember them all...

Nikku-San
11th September 2003, 08:44 PM
I know how you feel, Dragonfree, I loathed Umbridge. I actually went to sleep after reading thinking of bad things that should happen to her. But I also disliked Harry in that book. I can kinda see how he felt but he was too damn harsh to Ron and Hermione who did nothing to deserve it. I kind wanted to sock him out, yet at the same time I wanted to say sorry... Then I had to remind myself I was just reading a book. On a side note, I didn't really like Order of the Phoenix, but at the same time I loved it. I really liked how much of a part Neville played.

Anywho, I hope to make the villain of my fic-in-progress detestable.

PancaKe
23rd September 2003, 02:30 AM
I know, Harry Potter was a book I really got involved in. Far out - Umbridge just wanted to make me shut the book and not read anymore, but of course i had to find out what happened. But Harry was too agressive in that book, I felt sorry for him. Fred and George ruled though, I love their humor.

~Mist

classy_cat18
23rd September 2003, 11:56 AM
I didn't know this was going to turn out to be a Harry Potter discussion, but yes, I do know what you mean. Sad plots and Romeo and Juliet-type plots make me overemotional.

Did anyone else feel like choking Kreature and Malfoy when they read Order of the Phoenix?

Dragonfree
25th September 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by classy_cat18
Did anyone else feel like choking Kreature and Malfoy when they read Order of the Phoenix?
And Umbridge, of course...