PDA

View Full Version : The Diary of Bert Atkins

Mysterious Druid
8th September 2003, 08:11 AM
This an inspirational story I thought of which has nothing to do with pokemon but I would appreciate your thoughts.

The Diary of Bert Atkins
1914-Ongoing

Monday 1st Jan- Late evening
I have spent my first day on the front line and have found Satan’s playground. We are forbidden to do our toilet before seven in the morning, but the Huns know this and bomb our toilets at that time. To cover this I was told by my mate Craig to keep a bully beef tin and pee in it, then chuck contents, minus the tin into no-mans land. All we had to do today on the front was make basic repairs and guard our trench, but the enemy flak explodes shrapnel everywhere. This evil weapon is deadly effective against troops. In fact it’s deadly effective against OUR troops. It kept us pinned down all day, and caused mayhem whenever one found its target in our trench. How they got their guns this close without us knowing God only knows. I wish I could f****n well go home. The only thing I can see as I look over no-mans land is death. A corpse here a leg there. Sometimes a young comrade holding in his guts. As I take all this in all I can do is pray that I’m not next. I’ve never been so scared in all my life.

Tuesday 2nd Early noon
This is my second day on the front. I didn’t get a moments peace all night, or morning come to think of it. We where sniped at all night and my mate Craig was the first to go. One moment we were talking and the next moment there was a red looking patch creeping over his stomach and ruining his uniform. He lay in my arms bleeding to death. He was shivering all over and weeping like a small child. He gave me his will and a letter, and begged me to get them to his family some how. He didn’t need to ask twice. When he passed on and the stretcher-bearers took him off I couldn….
Sorry about that, we where finally invaded by the bloody Huns after all that sniping. I have to admit it was quite a good manoeuvre as none of our guns could find the snipers and everybody had to keep their heads down to prevent being shot, the surprise attack pushed us back to the next trench. I’m beginning to miss my family now. My mum wouldn’t let me in the house now. “I’m not letting you in until you look presentable” She’d say. I suppose I do look and smell like a tramp. I miss playing cards with my dad and fighting over the bathroom with my sister Martha. We live in a big house in Ashford, Kent, and I miss the green fields there and in the summer there would be butter yellow fields that are growing Rape seed. They tend to glow hazily in the heat. F**k that! I’m going to blubber like a baby soon. We’ve got to defend this trench at all costs. Mind you the real enemies are rats, fleas, lice, and disease.

Thursday 3rd Early morning
Been fighting for most of the night to retake our trench. Some Lewis Gunners came along towards the end and made short work of them. Bodies are everywhere, and the rats are making short work of the ones not being carried away. I fought along side some of these men and killed some of the others. As I look down the now quiet trench I see some of the more seasoned troops plundering from the dead Huns, and I wonder to myself, do they really deserve it? After all, they all they did is fight for their country like we are doing now, I think that stealing from their dead is making us as bad as they are.

Sat 5th Early morning
Hasn’t been much time for writing, as our force was thinned out so badly that we have barely anyone left, and our only commanding officer is a young barely promoted Corporal. We lost so many men defending and retaking the trench. We were relieved by the Royal Grenadiers, and marched five miles before being barracked at an old disused farm. We had a breakfast for the first time in two days, which was bread and bacon, but what everyone was really cheerful about was the fact that there were no flies, rats (visible anyway), or filth. It was almost like being in heaven, I had a full belly, a bath, clean clothes, a shave, and a clean barn with straw to sleep in.

Sun 6th Early afternoon
After marching all that way, we were expected to march all the way back and fight our way into an enemy trench just in front of the one we defended and retook two days ago. Not only that but we had to capture and hold it as well. We were successful only because of our superiority of numbers when we joined the Grenadiers, and because next to me there were six other Lewis Gunners. Lewis guns are a revolutionary form of machine gun. I enjoyed today as I evenged Craig one hundred fold.

Mon 7th Late Night
Today I watched as hundreds of men where ordered to walk slowly across no-mans land and take the enemy trench. Because of the German machine guns, and their flak, none survived, or even reached the other trench. I feel like hell has invented another kind existence for itself. Over the weeks I have lost all compassion, all I do now is kill.