PDA

View Full Version : Conflict

MatthewKetchum037
8th September 2003, 02:42 PM
here's the situation:

My fic ties in close with the anime. It occurs 5-10 years before the anime starts.

Here's the question: Should I start the fic with the original 202 or should I start with all 386 pokemon? I need opinions.

The Prophet
8th September 2003, 03:54 PM
Put 'em all in. It makes for variety. Just leave out Mewtwo, as he didn't exist back then.

MatthewKetchum037
8th September 2003, 04:57 PM
Hmm. I wasn't going to have Mewtwo in anyway, but what about Deoxys? He's key to the story. Is he a conflict to the anime?

I need more opinions. Are there any more conflicts I'm not aware of other than Mewtwo?

mr_pikachu
8th September 2003, 09:40 PM
Erm, well, it sort of depends on how you use it... after all, if it's linked really closely, you don't want to have something that comes into direct conflict with an event that has ALREADY OCCURRED. On the other hand, I'll give an example. CCC's When Destinies Collide takes place in "The Green League", which is the fourth and final League (after Kanto, Orange Isles, and Johto). Now, at the time CCC began this fic, we didn't know Hoenn even existed. Heck, for all we knew, the Green League WAS the last League! On the other hand, if you were to start your fic and have, say, Ash meeting Celebi, or something like that, that would sort of come into conflict, since he'd probably remember something like that. Then again, he might not, since it does take place 5-10 years before the anime. It's your call, but if you're really out for advice I'd say we need more information. And don't forget the time-honored tradition of making your own Pokemon! ;) And don't forget, some writers just say that different Poemon inhabit different regions (and always have), so it was simply that Ash didn't need a Pokedex for places he wasn't going to visit. See my point? You could just use different locations, and its all good.

And, btw, what did you mean by "the original 202"? Man, it was 151 first, then 251, and now 386. Never was there 202. I'm a bit confused.

MatthewKetchum037
8th September 2003, 11:45 PM
I get you Mr. Pikachu, sir. It's linked closely, but not really close. For example, I added a few family members to the fic, like say, an older brother, who the fic is mainly about, and details on Ash's father, etc...

By the way I meant 251, not 202, sorry for the confusion everyone.

mr_pikachu
9th September 2003, 05:11 PM
I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. Most of the fics I've seen are on the premise that different lands are simply suitable to different Pokemon, and that's why you don't see, say, Hoenn Pokemon in Kanto, etc. You get the ideas. Of course, there have been a few exceptions in the anime, such as that lil' Wynaut in Blackthorn City, and Lugia in the Orange Islands (away from Johto), but I just consider it that they somehow found their way over here. Wynaut probably hitched a intercontinental ride on a ship, whereas I'd bet Lugia flew or swam over for the second movie. And besides, if its not any of the main characters directly (or if they were just too young to remember, if it does come up), you should be fine. Good luck with the fic! ;)

EDIT: And, c'mon, don't call me 'sir'. Do I look old to you? Huh? Do I? Oh... wait... does my username look old to you? Huh? Does it? ;) See ya later! :wave:

Lady Vulpix
23rd September 2003, 09:57 AM
I second mr_pikachu's thoughts. I don' know Deoxys's story, but there shouldn't be any conflicts if some RS pokemon showed up (just maybe not in Pallet Town).

Now the only possible conflict that remains is between your avatar and mine. They look quite similar! They could be siblings. ;-)

MatthewKetchum037
23rd September 2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, but mine is a darker color than yours. Besides, isn't Vulpix the greatest. I have a few ideas on how to get some Hoenn pokemon in Kanto, so I need to get to work on it.:D