PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know WHAT that method was?

Pokemon Neo
28th December 2002, 11:50 AM
I remember reading an old preview of R/S in a back issue of EGM where it said that there WAS a certain method of transferring your pokemon form G/S to R/S.But at the end of the article,EGM said,"don't count on it".

So,does anyone know what this method was?Is it possible that some gameshark-esque device,official or unofficial,could be released some time in the future.

All I know is that I REEEELY want to use my G/S Pokemon!

GR-Gligar
28th December 2002, 12:11 PM
I'm sure the G/S Pokémon will be useable, the programmers put them in there, data and all, so it couldn't possibly be because of lack of memory. My Guess is they'll do some money grabbing scheme on us and drain our Pockets of money even more...
I'd relax about it, the game hasn't even been released yet!

Pokemon Neo
28th December 2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by GR-Gligar
I'm sure the G/S Pokémon will be useable, the programmers put them in there, data and all, so it couldn't possibly be because of lack of memory. My Guess is they'll do some money grabbing scheme on us and drain our Pockets of money even more...
I'd relax about it, the game hasn't even been released yet!

Oh no,I know that R/B and G/S pokemon are in R/S.I'm talking about backwards compatibility.Like how I easily transfered all of my Pokemon in Blue to Silver with the link cable.As far as I know,there is no official way to transfer pokemon from G/S to R/S.

But like I said in my previous post,EGM mentioned that there was way to transfer them.My question is,does anybody know what this method is?Does anybody have any theories?

Red Angel
28th December 2002, 11:11 PM
I saw the article too... it instilled hope in me, only to have it oh-so-cruelly snached away...

My thoughts would be that maybe R/S could boot into GBC mode (farfetched, but it's plausible) and trade over that way... meh...

Polaris
29th December 2002, 09:48 AM
Size probably wasnt the issue.
Hell, it most certainly wasnt the issue.

In G/S, Kanto was kind of limited compared to RBY (No safari zone, Cinebar Island, etc.). That was due to lack of space on the dated gameboy cartridge. (they did have the space to later add features in the crystal version though.... But it was about 2-3 years after G/S were first released in Japan).

Anyway, GBA cartridges can hold much more space. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance uses a 12Mbit cartridge, for example. I haven't heard about a game that uses more than that, but it's possible (with the added price of the game, that is). Ruby/Sapphire both use an 8Mbit cartridge. So, if Nintendo wanted to add more sh!t to the game, they could've done it easily.

Now about trading; Nintendo completely changed the way pokemon stats are calculated. From adding DVs, through the removal of stat exp/introduction of effort values, to the new Gender Values and other junk. In G/S, a pokemon traded from R/B had his Special devided into SA and SD using the old DV. Gender was also added, based on the pokemon's DVs.

A pokemon from the older version could have max stats. A pokemon in R/S can't (because of the effort values). So, I dont see a way for trading to be possible... Unless the pokemon stats will be complete recalculated (which I have no problem with... I guess it's better than nothing).

Finally, the only thing left here it catching old pokemon in the wild. I think Nintendo should've at least make all the 'regular' pokemon apear in the wild, or available through some other method. I can somewhat understand the lacking of legendaries, though.

Anyway, thank you Nintendo, you ruined my f@#&ing life, b#$@%es. :P

Darkgel
29th December 2002, 04:03 PM
Having the technology to cram 256MBit in a cartridge, they used 8MBit?

Damn.

rinku
29th December 2002, 04:17 PM
?? The R/S ROM is 8MBytes, not 8Mbits. Quite a difference.

In any case, adding Kanto/Johto wouldn't require as much storage as was needed for Houen, since all the pokémon data, tile bitmaps and effects animations would not need to be repeated. All you'd need would be the maps, encounter tables per area and scripts for special events. These were much less involved and complex for Kanto than Johto in GSC. I'd expect them to easily be able to add Kanto and Johto in less than 2MB of storage.

Not saying that it's there - my hunch remains that future games will dovetail with R/S to fill out the map. A flash upgrade or GameCube game would seem the most likely, though I wouldn't discount an online option.

Darkgel
29th December 2002, 04:52 PM
My bad as well. A GBA cartridge size can hold 256MBytes.

Anyway, the thing is that Kanto and Johto, complete and with improvements, LOTS of them, would have been easty to fit. To program, however...

Kitsune
29th December 2002, 05:21 PM
I think the changes in the pokey stats will preclude the possibility of that link. R/S would have to calculate the extra stats (gender, personality) from scratch and mess around with the old stats to convert them to the new values.

rinku
29th December 2002, 06:07 PM
Yeah, It's pretty well established that there is no real intention for interaction between older carts and the new ones. I'd still hold out some hope that the RW Pokémon centres (i.e. NYC, Osaka) will be able to offer one-way imports, at some future date.

Cyber Dragon
29th December 2002, 08:31 PM
What exactly did EGM suggest?

The whole 'Effort Points' is bull IMHO. A limit of 510 Effort Points total? WTF? How can we count the effort points we have so we can keep track???

If there was no effort point system in GSC (Not totally sure, someone confirm this please), and if someone in GSC already has max stats, then trades it in to RuSa, would that pokemon's effort points be 0?

With personality, it is probably derived from stats, and whatever information RuSa receives from a GSC Poke's stats, it will just determine the personality and subtract/add stats when necessary. Of course I am just assuming here.

And with all that gender calculations (I do not get it)... isn't it the same in GSC?

I need to catch up with current news. But I do not want to resort to cheating to get old Pokemon...

The Muffin Man
29th December 2002, 08:42 PM
Effort points ARE stat experience, only now it's no longer a mystery as to what the hell they do. We now KNOW effort points increase your stats, and what pokemon give you what, not what might give you one stat and what might give you another.(i.e fighting Machoke only gives Atk., but Mankey or Primeape yields Atk and Spd., perhaps)

Cyber Dragon
30th December 2002, 12:25 AM
*doh* http://www.imagemagician.com/images/cs/icon_doh.gif

Thanks Muffin Man, I should have known it was Stat EXP., but it was unlimited in GSC.

not what might give you one stat and what might give you another

BTW, if what you meant was that we don't know who gives what effort point (and how much) in a certain stat, I found a list of who gives Effort Points somewhere in Pokemasters -

Effort Point List (http://www.pokemasters.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=217&page=1)

Meh, I tried searching EGM's own site, but their online review is different. Nothing about trading there. :no:

Onaicul
30th December 2002, 01:20 AM
Are you telling me that with the Effort Values, I could have a pokemon fight 510 abras and get +510 to his Special Attack?
Or would his stats only go to the max level? It's almost 2:30 so I hope you can understand why I'm confused.

Cyber Dragon
30th December 2002, 01:30 AM
I don not think Effort Points actually add to the overall statistic of a certain area, lol. If so... well, if you did, wouldn't the other statistics just be plain bad? :confused:

The Pokemasters says that the limit for one particular stat is 255. So you can't go for one stat at a full 510. They say it helps you calculate the 'final stats', but I don't know the formula.

Polaris
30th December 2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Cyber Dragon
What exactly did EGM suggest?
If there was no effort point system in GSC (Not totally sure, someone confirm this please), and if someone in GSC already has max stats, then trades it in to RuSa, would that pokemon's effort points be 0?

That's why there trading is probably impossible.

Oh, and yeah, I meant 8Mbyte, not Mbit. I know very well what the difference is. I meant to write 32Mbit (which are 8MBs).. But got confused in all that crap. :P

rinku
30th December 2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Onaicul
Are you telling me that with the Effort Values, I could have a pokemon fight 510 abras and get +510 to his Special Attack?
Or would his stats only go to the max level? It's almost 2:30 so I hope you can understand why I'm confused.

As I understand it, there is a cap of 255 effort points on any one stat, and an overall cap of 510. So you could max out two stats for any one pokémon, if you trained it carefully.

Previous versions *did* have a cap on effort/stat experience (63 levels), but they seem to have changed it from a log scale to a linear one. The old formula added:

[Effort Level(0-63)] * Level / 100

where the effort Level was equal to the effort value cranked through a logarithmic formula (i.e. like experience, higher levels of effort took more and more battles to achieve).

The new formula adds:

int[Effort Value (0-255)/4] * Level / 100

to the final actual stats. So the potential maxiumum contribution from effort has not changed - it's still +63 points at Lv100. But the overall cap of 510 points means only very careful trainers will be able to get the best results. A good thing IMHO.

Also note that only every 4th effort value will result in any potential change, since it's divided by 4 and fractions dropped *before* being added to the values from base and individual sources.

I've heard a rumour that there is a person in the game which can advise you about your pokémon's effort values, like the one that can advise you about their happiness/tameness. I'm not worrying about the whole thing until I'm playing the English version on a real gameboy - maxing stats really doesn't matter much for the in-game battles anyway.