PDA

View Full Version : <Poll> Homework

Plague
17th September 2003, 06:26 PM
I've been meaning to do this for a while, but unfortunately do to homework, sports, and instruments I haven't been able to get to it. Anyway, here it is.

1. What is your opinion on homework?

2. How much time do you spend on homework?

3. How does this compare to previous years?

4. Do you think homework increases understanding of the topics discussed in the class?

5. And finally, are there some types of homework that help you, and some that do nothing for you?

Hopefully, this makes some sense. Enjoy! :D

Wergoheb
17th September 2003, 07:10 PM
1. Homework is the tool of the devil... i made it through high school doing one homework assignment per week, and now in college that's all i have. My suggestion to everyone is HOMEWORK IS FOR SUCKERS

2. I have my classes once per week (although they are 3 and a half hours long) i usally spend about 4 hours per class, and i spread it out throughout the week.

3. The workload seems lighter, only having one (or two) assignments due per day. The quality is far better than anything i put out in high school, and everything seems easier.

4. Homework only solidifies your hold on the subject. if you understand it, then i see no point to do more of it. Sometimes i need it, sometimes i don't... but that's only my opinion. But what do I know, i'm only an idiot

Math homework has always been helpfull, because i have never been very good at math. English, History, Science, Computers ( i still have yet to see computer homework do any good to anyone) all never have really helped me.

Katie
17th September 2003, 08:01 PM
it sucks

about an hour or so a night

bout the same as last year, more than middle school and of course elementary

4. Do you think homework increases understanding of the topics discussed in the class?
sometimes. in geometry they make us do like 50 problems over one kind of problem, but what bugs me is I master the concept after maybe 4 or 5... so the rest is a waste of time.

5. Are there some types of homework that help you, and some that do nothing for you?
math, history, spanish help. english, bio etc do nothing for me.

~Katie

Ash_300
17th September 2003, 09:40 PM
1. Well I think that things like regular exercises are fine. However, I do not like the idea of getting extra assignments which are done at home. Most of the assessment tasks where I live are done in class.

2. It depends on how I am feeling. I can spend between 10 minutes to 6 hours on homework per night.

3. I never really worked that hard until this year. I am working towards a goal that I am unlikely to achieve so it requires a lot of homework to be done.

4. I believe that in most cases, proficiency at anything can only be achieved with continual practise. So yeah, I guess homework can help, but it depends on what type of work it is.

5. I can usually grasp the content being taught in class without needing to do excessive amounts of homework. However, I find that in most cases my understanding of soemthing increases if I do homework.

Jay
18th September 2003, 01:38 AM
In the future answer your own poll =/

1/. I miss homework to a great extent no thanks to my school where I receive none of it. Although I have lots of free time on my hands now, I did not enjoy it that much =/

2/. I didn't spend many hours on it at all - some days I just skipped homework all together and did it all in another night to my selection. Now, I spend no time on it at all. :D

3/. Homework has always been bothersome ever since I've been in High School - they always belive we have no lives or whatever.

4/. No - homework is only good for one thing and that's responsibility factors.

5/. Science homework did nothing for me - nor did PE, sport or whatever subjects that don't interest me in the future. I really only liked Maths and English homework - the others were very unimportant and boring.

Silver Ledian
18th September 2003, 01:28 PM
I don't think that there's a problem with being given a bit of work to do at home but I really only believe that this work should be about half an hour long - max. Going to school and working 5 days a week is hard enough and I believe the weekend is intended to give people a rest for 2 days...with lots of homework to do, it's surely not that. So overall, I wouldn't mind it if I got a bit of homework...but not LOADS!

Nowadays, it normally takes me at least an hour and a half to do my homework, which in my opinion is far too much after spending 6 and a half hours in school per day. It's really pissy IMO, when teachers do that.

In high school I guess homework has always taken me about an hour to do per night but it wasn't as much or as boring as the kind of stuff I get today. Some I actually didn't mind doing but in all honesty...I feel if the teacher doesn't think that they will get all the work covered in class, then they should complain to those in charge of that course and tell them to reduce the amount the put on it!

If the amount of homework is small enough, I believe you take in more and understand it more but when you're given lots of homework...I don't even think your intention is to understand it - it's just to get it done and out of the way. So teachers should make sure they only give you some h/w.

5. And finally, are there some types of homework that help you, and some that do nothing for you?
I only really study 3 subjects now - Art, Spanish and Geography and honestly...I don't believe that homeworks given in any of those homeworks help me to understand anything better than I would in class. I think subjects like Maths and Physics, where you have to practice equations and sums, are a lot more helpful because you NEED to practice them more...but other than that, the only other reason for homework is to reduce the workload in class v.v

mistysakura
19th September 2003, 05:07 AM
It's all right, we can all learn to live with it, and most of the time it helps (if I didn't have homework, I'd be totally stressing over my tests.)

1-2 hours, mostly 1 hour.

Previously? Elementary school? actually, I think I got a bit more there, but it was more repetitive as well. Hong Kong's primary schools suck.

it depends what sort of homework it is, and how much. for instance, doing 50 maths equations and doing 10 don't have hat much of a different outcome - of course, you hate maths more after the 50. The weird thing is, after doing 50 equations, things still aren't stuck in my head -- need to know that quadratic formula! Still, homework helps most of the time, even though apparently I'm worse at rote learning than at logical thinking.

My Science homework is about 1% relevant to the stuff we learn in class. I used to get computer homework, which I whizzed through in 5 minutes, and that did no good at all. Art homework obviously doesn't help. I think the rest of the subjects actually have homework that accomplishes something.

Irony: Why the heck do some teachers give so much homework, when they end up having to mark it anyway?

homeofmew
19th September 2003, 07:35 AM
its ok, it's not that bad once you get used to it ;o

I don't know hours and hours?
Much more, it increases by year.
I understand everythin :O!

Homework in college helps you, sometimes the homework is optional, and I do it anyway, it hepls out a lot :O!

Razola
19th September 2003, 10:22 AM

Arrr...homework? If ye consider countin' the loot after a fine day of high seas pillagin', I like homework very much so.

It be dependin' on how much loot we grab mate!

Arrrr...there hasn't been as much loot on the high seas. Too many landlubbers if ya ask me. But we still got plenty of dubloons ta count.

Class? Ya don't need no class lad! The sea will be yer school, and a sturdy ship will be yer classroom! But watch out for the Cat O' Nine Tails...she be a harsh teacher.

The only thing that be doin' nothin' fer me is ground beneath me legs and a bottle of empty grog.

Jash Thor
19th September 2003, 07:24 PM
1. What is your opinion on homework? I think it suks...but it needs to be done.

2. How much time do you spend on homework? Depends on the nite..I'll get between 30 mins to 2 hours.

3. How does this compare to previous years? Oh hold on one second...that would be high school knocking at my door. It wants eigth grade to move out. Where I went to school, eight grade gave us like no homework. But now i'm having to read 60 page plays, make margain notes, and right an essay on it in one night, along with other stuff. So its much more but thanx to time management I'm getting used to it.

4. Do you think homework increases understanding of the topics discussed in the class? Sorta and sorta not. Yes, becasuse it makes you think of what your doing and sort of implants it into your brain. No, because you usually learn about it in a class anyways, so having to do it at home when you can take time in class to do it a bit doesn't completely make sense but i can see it. Its just the essays that bother me.

5. And finally, are there some types of homework that help you, and some that do nothing for you? Yea. Ones that aren't boring and seem to drag on, like writing a persuasive essay for something you don't support, those are really annoying. But usually something interesting keeps me going...like reading. I can usually read pretty quickly.

Crystal Mew
20th September 2003, 12:04 AM
1. its dumb, and a complete waste of time :yes:

2. 30mins- an hour and a half

3. its worse now that I'm in high school, but meh ;/

4. no, not really. but if I'm having problems in the class, maybe its helping me >_>;

5. none of them really help me...well, maybe english does. but math is hard, I don't get it anyway, and the rest is..well, it doesn't help me really .-.