PDA

View Full Version : [POLL] Books.

Razola
18th September 2003, 03:44 PM
My Mass Media class discussed books today...and that seems like a good poll.

1. How often do you read books?

2. What was the last book you finished reading? Or what book(s) are you currently reading?

3. What is your favorite book?

4. What is your favorite book series (if any?)

5. What is your favorite author?

My answers:

1. It varies. Normally during the end of the semester I start reading a ton of books. In two weeks I read Gary Paulsen's Hatchet series, Farenheit 451, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde before school ended. Once I start reading, I normally devour several books and then stop for a few months.

2. My last book was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It was good, but the ending was a little dissapointing. I plan on reading the Moons of Mirrodin once I find it. It's based on the Magic TCG, but the sample chapter sounded like it would be a decent read.

3. The Hobbit. The narration is some of the best I've seen, and it is a great story. So good that I was dissapointed with The Fellowship of the Ring when I started reading it.

4. I enjoy the Hatchet series (read it like four or five times, quick read) along with the Star Wars short story collections (Tales of the Bounty Hounters for example). Excellent short stories that expand upon the movies.

5. This is too tough to answer. I'd have to think about it.

MarshmallowEgg
18th September 2003, 05:06 PM
1. How often do you read books? - As often as I can. I'm a bookworm.

2. What was the last book you finished reading? Or what book(s) are you currently reading? - The last book I read was Dragon and Phoenix by Joanne Bertin. Right now I'm reading two books - The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley and The Elvenbane by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey. I'm reading two books since I misplaced The Blue Sword for a while and needed something to read at school. ^_^;;

3. What is your favorite book? - ...I don't really HAVE a favorite book. There are so many books that I love that I couldn't pick just one. I suppose a more appropriate question would be what my favorite genre is, in which case I have an answer. Fantasy, hands down. Science fiction is good too, but I love fantasy above all. ^_^

4. What is your favorite book series (if any?) - Harry Potter, probably. I don't really know of many series. There's a lot of trilogys that I like, though.

5. What is your favorite author? - Like the favorite book question, this one doesn't have an answer. There are so many good authors that I don't have just one answer for this.

Jamesology101
18th September 2003, 05:17 PM
Hurrah! Books.

All the time. I get one, read it for a few days, finish it, start another. I panick every time I think that there's a finite amount of books I can read in my lifetime, and that there's an even fewer number of them that will actually be good.

2. What was the last book you finished reading? Or what book(s) are you currently reading?
The last book I finished reading was Patricia Cornwell's latest Scarpetta installment, The Last Precinct. It was pretty good. Right now I'm re-reading The Life Of Birds, David Attenborough's book accompanying the BBC TV series. Birds are some fascinating creatures ^^.

I don't think I've read the book yet that I'll call my favourite. There are many books I love, but I love them all equally, and none stand out among my favourites as The One. I have eclectic tastes, I couldn't decide between the bitchy humour of Jane Austen in Pride And Prejudice and the absorbing, intriguing thrillers of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. (I really recommend The Cabinet Of Curiosities.)

I've only read a few book series - the Scarpetta novels, Stephen King's Dark Tower series and the books of Preston and Child I mentioned above. I don't know if you could really call them a 'series', but they have a growing cast of characters who appear and reappear in lead or supporting roles throughout their books. Not one of their novels goes by without at least mentioning in passing a character or event from a previous novel. This allows them to add more and more layers to recurring favourites, like the enigmatic Agent Pendergast.

Fiction or non-fiction? My favourite authors of fiction are Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, who co-author novels on such diverse subjects as brain-eating museum creatures (Relic) and genetically-engineered superpleagues (Mount Dragon), with the occasional archaeological conundrum (Thunderhead), mysterious body from outer space (The Ice Limit) or serial killer (both The Cabinet Of Curiosities and Still Life With Crows) thrown in for good measure. My favourite author of non-fiction is Richard Dawkins, author of The Selfish Gene, the man who has done more to increase the public understanding of evolution and science in general than anybody else.

Blinky121
18th September 2003, 06:01 PM
1. Not as much as I'd like to. I don't have a lot of free time to just sit down and read a book, or the patience.

2. The last book I finished was 10th Grade. It's a funny book, and really seems like something a 10th grader woud wright.

3. I love LotR. It's one of the only series I read back to back. The second I finished LotR: FotR, I reached for LotR: TTT.

4. Look above.

5. J. R. R. Tolkien, most likely.

Fett One
18th September 2003, 07:03 PM
I usually get books twice a year, for my birthday and Hannukah.

I'm currently reading Star Wars: The Bacta War

Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy

Star Wars

Timothy Zahn. He has written some of the best Star Wars books ever.

Elemental Seribii
18th September 2003, 07:12 PM
I usually have something I'm reading around the house, and I read a lot more in the summer, or during long vacations. I haven't been reading as much as I used to, though.

I'm currently reading Night Watch, by Terry Pratchet. I'm not sure if I'll finish it, and I really want to get some more books to read. The last book I finished reading was Dancing On the Edge, by Han Nolan. Yaay.

I'm not sure if I have a definate favorite, but I really loved The Giver by Lois Lowry and Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I adored His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, I couldn't put it down when I was reading it. I like sci-fi and fantasy books mostly, but also any book with dark humor is fine by me.

I like The Series of Unfortunate Events, especially for the sarcasm, and the cynical way it's written. I like Harry Potter (OotP is my definite favorite), and I'm going to try and read the other Tolkein books, because I liked The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings.

Eh, there's too many! Some of my favorites would have to be Phillip Pullman, Terry Pratchett and J.K. Rowling. But there are loads of others I've only read one of their books and still liked them.

DarkTemplarZ
18th September 2003, 08:47 PM
1) Most definitely. I love books. Books are like my weed, I just can't stop reading.

2) I'm currently reading Star Trek TNG: Eyes of the Beholders for about the third time. I stole it from my old school's library. It's a great book. The last one I finished was the Mirror of Merlin.

3) I don't have a definite favorite really. I love the Harry Potter series, T.A. Barron's Merlin series, The Giver, A Seperate Peace, Star Wars Jedi Apprentice+Jedi Quest+Boba Fett+everything else, any Star Trek book, The Berzerkers series, and others I can't remember off the top of my head.

4) T.A. Barron's The Lost Years of Merlin series. It's better than Harry Potter or Jedi Apprentice, or anything IMO.

5) Barron's probably my favorite, although J.K Rowling and Jude Watson are both great.

mr_pikachu
20th September 2003, 03:55 AM
Not very often. I usually finish them in about a day, anyway.

I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code. That's one wicked series! Yes, it has fairies in it, but it's not quite what you'd expect from a fairy tale... I shall say no more.

Umm... my math book. :rolleyes: No, seriously, it's probably Hatchet. Or one of the Calvin and Hobbes books. Those things rock! :D

Artemis Fowl. Harry Potter's a close second, though.

Eoin Colfer. "What the heck," you ask? She (I think it's a she) writes the Artemis Fowl series. That's the only reason I like her/him so much.

shatteredcrystalice
20th September 2003, 04:22 AM
1. All the time
2. The last book I read was a tale of two cities. Right now, it's O! Pionners (can't spell that)
3. I don't have one
4. hmm, Harry Potter? 0.o
5. Don't have one

Sir Chris
20th September 2003, 04:25 AM
1. a few a month, butI can gfo a couple months without a book.

2. Harry potter, OotP. It was a kickass book IMO. been a few months though, not usually this long of a wait w/o a book

4. The wastelands (part three of the dark tower series)

4, The Dark Tower series

5. King

Mab the Mad Clefable
16th October 2003, 11:44 AM
1. I like reading, so whenever I get chance.
2. Kings and Queens of Great Britain. I'm in medieval mode at the moment.
3. Bram Stokers Dracula is an absolute classic. Anything by Clive Barker cos he's just the best horror writer ever and I've recently read Cirque Du Freak which was excellent.
4. Don't really know.
5. Clive Barker.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th October 2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Raz
[b]1. How often do you read books?

1. I can't read XD
2. "Nummisuutarit" by Aleksis Kivi. Does say quite much to you all, huh? Once again one we had to choose from a list in a Finnish language and literature class. It was just like I expected. Kivi had perfectly captured the Finnish characteristics as usual. One of the most original Finnish books I have read actually.
3. Hong Lou Meng, the Dream In The Red Room, by Cao Xuejin. I have read only a shortened translation, though. It would be great to have it in its original language one day. Chinese is easier than Finnish anyways ;)
4. Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's trilogy series. They are funny and give attitude.
5. Overall, J. R. R. Tolkien. All his books I know I have found really interesting.

Courage
18th October 2003, 05:39 AM
1. How often do you read books? Every day

2. What was the last book you finished reading? Or what book(s) are you currently reading?Harry Potter & Order of Pheonix

3. What is your favorite book?HP Series and LotR Series

4. What is your favorite book series (if any?)See up^

5. What is your favorite author?J.K Rowling

Gligar_Man
18th October 2003, 06:04 AM
1. maybe one or two a year...

2. dreamcatcher (before the mvie came out...)

3. brave new world

4. not into series...

5. dont have one

Pokemaster Matt
18th October 2003, 07:07 AM
1. How often do you read books? All the time

2. What was the last book you finished reading? Or what book(s) are you currently reading? Don't know last, but I'm reading FoxMask now, byt Juliett Marrillier. Its a Sequel, but I can't remember the first.

3. What is your favorite book? Too many to choose.

4. What is your favorite book series (if any?) Dont know.

5. What is your favorite author? Same as 3.

I need a life.

Aipom Of Doom
18th October 2003, 12:08 PM
1. A lot :O. If the book is good, I usually read it all very quickly and enjoy it :o. Some of the horrible books I read for english make me sad tho ;___;

I finished reading Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy a few days ago :d. 990 page books are fun :O.

Ehh... I dunno... Something by Michael Crichton, maybe Jurrasic Park ;o.

Uhh... I don't really have one :o.

Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy :o. They write really good books that I like reading :D.

titandude21
18th October 2003, 12:55 PM
1. I rarely read books, i read a lot of articles/misc. especially on ESPN.com

2. This last book i read was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'm currently reading Anthem for English class

3. probably Harry Potter book 4 or 5, Holes would be an honorable mention

4. Harry Potter series without a doubt

5. J.K. Rowling

Darkmaster Kagemusha
18th October 2003, 02:57 PM
--I read them as soon as I buy them and I read until I'm out of books :P.

--Well, lemme see...this year I finished the Elvenbane series by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey, the Dragonlance series by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman, Might and Magic: The Sea of Mist by Mel Odom...and that's about it. I'd've read more, but I ran out of books :P

--Well...I'm not sure, but I'd have to say The Annotated Chronicles of Dragonlance, it's the first three Dragonlancebooks in one, with commentary from the authors, artists, and others involved in the making of the Dragonlance stories and AD&D games.

--This I have a tie on--the Pern Series by Anne McCaffrey, and the Dragonlance Series by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman.

--Please don't ask me that, because I don't know. Almost any author within the genre of Fantasy/Sci-fi is good in my opinion, so I don't have a favorite, though my top few (in no particular order) are Anne McCaffrey, Margaret Weis, Tracey Hickman, Austen Andrews, Andre Norton, and Mercedes Lackey.

Pichu Luver
18th October 2003, 09:00 PM
Whenever I can get my hands of one that I have't read before or for a while.

Bon Marche~ No it was not French but made in 1988 ^^'''' Hey I've read a book made in 1901 so XP

Tough question I couldn't really say I loved em all. But I guess Fire Bringer.

Thoroughbred

Eh not sure, um author of Fire Bringer and The Sight I guess.

~Pichu

ILikePokemonP
19th October 2003, 12:42 AM

Very rarely now, I used to read more a few years ago.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I don't have a favourite book.

Probably Harry Potter.

I don't have a favourite author.

AntiAsh Superstar
19th October 2003, 05:39 AM
1. I read books on a pretty regular basis, if there's a book to hand I'll prolly read it.
2. The last book I read was The Neverending Story, merely coz I loved the film as a kid and I wanted to see what the book was like. I'm not reading anything atm, tho I keep meaning to make a start on some of Haruki Marakami's short stories coz I liked the novels of his that I've read.
3. Prolly either The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice or Imajica by Clive Barker, I'm quite the horror fanatic.
4. The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, I suppose they count as a series even tho some of them are a touch removed from the others (well, The Vampire Vittorio was...) they all interlink.
5. Prolly Anne Rice, I love the mood she manages to put into her books, you find yourself really getting into the characters, which is how it should be.

Wild Female Machoke
19th October 2003, 02:33 PM
It varies. I often have the time to read or finish off what I am reading. I only read those that interested me.

Currently I am reading Liam Hearn's Grass for his Pillow which is part of the Tales of the Otori trilogy. I love fictional stories that is based on medieval Japan. I am looking forward to reading Hybrids by Robert Sawyer, which is the final part of the Neanderthal Parallax trilogy.

Don't have one... too many to like... :D

Don't have one...

I don't know...

God
21st October 2003, 03:10 AM

Every Day

The Bible

The Bible

The books of the Bible

Theres Luke... And John... And Joseph...

Pokemaster Matt
23rd October 2003, 06:08 AM
Whee, I forgot completely about Anne Rice.Thanks, AASS. VC would be my favourite series, but my favourite book would be Memnoch the Devil.

Whee, throw pies at me.

Luthien Tinuviel
25th October 2003, 07:24 AM
1. I read all the time, everyday, 24/7

2. I am currently re-reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

4. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and all the books that go with it (The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Book of Lost Tales, etc.)

5. ni melme i ng'olwe o J. R. R. Tolkien Translation: My fave author is J. R. R. Tolkien.

mistysakura
25th October 2003, 06:53 PM
just about never, which may be considered strange since I absolutely love reading, and wwant to be an author someday. The truh is: I spend too much time on fanfics to read actual books.

Last book: Give me Five, from the Princess Diaries series. Lat fanfic: Clash of the Entities.

Am not choosing a favourite fanfic, so I'll say that my favourite book is "Checkers", by John Marsden. I hate the rest of his books, though, which is also weird.

It was the Princess Diaries until the 5th book came out. It sucked. right now, I'll say the Harry Potter series.

I don't have one, but if I had to choose one, it would be a toss-up between Tamora Pierce and Maureen McCarthy.

Heavenly Sage HLSOE
25th October 2003, 08:52 PM
Well I read about 4 a week, 3 thick ones, 1 thinner version. I can speed read rather well so it ain't much of a problem. XD

The last book was David Beckham My Side, by David Beckham and Tom Watt. I'm currently reading the Amazon.com Way

Kane and Abel, Sons of Fortune and The Fourth Estate all by Jeffrey Archer and The Firm by John Grisham
T.A Barron's The Lost Years of Merlin & Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
Jeffrey Archer, John Grisham