PDA

View Full Version : A guide to some secrets behind the Japanese character's names and dubbed names

Zak
23rd September 2003, 05:41 PM
Heh, I posted this at BMG when someone brought up a topic about how Romeo and Julie have English-like names.... and I found a few secrets while posting it. This is pretty interesting... and I guess you can enjoy looking at this, and we can use this thread for speculation on what some of the future characters' names are:

Heh, you'd be surprised to know that a LOT of the Japanese names have English origins.. and a lot of the Japanese names were kept:

*goes through list*

English = Japanese

Aya = Aya
Alice (from Slowking ep) = Alice (Arisu)
Arthur (her Slowking) = Arthur (Aasaa)
Anju (Someone correct me if that's not her English name, but I think it was... the girl in The Apple Corps) = Anjou

And the guy in the Pelipper's Gym name is "Antonii" I bet it'll be Anthony...

Anna (from Zubat mansion) = Anna
Naughty (McKenzie's Natu) = Naitei (Natu's name is Neitei... meh, I think the dubbers messed up, and it was supposed to be "Nighty").
Duplica = Imite (from Imitate)
Her first Metamon (Ditto) = Meta-chan
Mini-Dit (her second Ditto) = Meta-Pyon
Emily = Emily (Emiri)
Maria (Her Nidoran F) = Merii
Erika = Erika
Alexa and Madison (the Kecleon trainers) = Elle and Lisa (Why didn't they keep them? Well, they are technically Eru and Risa, but they fit in as English names...
Mary (the Mareep trainer)'s Mom: Ellen (did she have an English name?)
Safari Zone Warden = Kaizer
Gonith (thief from Wayward Wobbuffet) = Goruunya (but that is the Japanese name of Golem! They could have just called the theif "Golem" in the English version...)
Captain from Viva Las Lapras = Gary (So that's why he didn't have an English name.... or did he?)
Mary (the Mareep trainer) = Karen (WHY dubbers, WHY?! Hmm... maybe this means we actually will meet Elite Four Karen?)
Lorelei/Prima = Kanna (Well, the name doesn't really mean anything in English, but it's a common Japanese name... just thought I'd mention it since some of you might know some Japanese people living in your country with that name... I knew several).
Jack Pollockson (Smeargle guy) = Kiisu Basukiya (I have no idea what that name means, or who it is... but I'm sure it makes SOME sense and has a reason behind it, given that most Anime characters (or at least Pokemon) Don't have a surname.... plus his English name has a meaning...)
Brad Van Darn = Brad Kitao (?)

Also, the guy in the Zigzagoon ep with the Mudkip is named Kiyo. I doubt they will keep that, given that we've already had a Kiyo in the dub (the Karate King), who's Japanese name is Nobuhiko. Murg or someone, help would be appriciated if you could find out if he's also called Nobuhiko in the game. Thanks, now on with the list...

Otoshi = Saizou (Yes, seriously! His original Japanese name was NOT Otoshi!:eek: )
Gligar Man = Guraigaa Man
Gligirl = Guraigirl
Kieth (Farfetch'd trainer thief) = Keita (Similar!)
Ken and Mary of the PMC = Ken and Merii of the PFC (Yeah, they kinda messed up on the dub, given that they made an F with the body motions... it was originally "Pokemon Fushigi Club" instead of "Pokemon Mystery Club").
Kenzou - Genzou
Chigusa = Chigusa
Shirou = Jirou

James' Growlithe, Growlie doesn't happen to have a nickname in the Japanese version. Weird...

Professor Ivy's three assistants = Konami, Minami, Tsunami (I see a pattern... but I only get the last one...)

Also, the Pokemon Contest announcer lady's name is Contesta... I bet they'll keep that...

Here's one that was used twice:
Sakura of the Eevee Sisters = Sakura
Daisy Waterflower = Also Sakura! (Oh well, it's a common name among Anime...)

Another name that's used twice:
May = Haruka
Ramona (from the Arcanine ep) = Also Haruka (FYI, Haruka means "Far away, distant" so maybe it has to do with her riding the Arcanine far...)

Also, as I mentioned about about Shiro being Jirou, there's another character named Jiroo, and that happens to be Brock's oldest brother, whom he gave his Crobat, Geodude, and Onix to and is now the Gym Leader in Pewter City.

And if you saw in the latest MQ ep, the Furret Trainer that Ash battled had the name "Salvador" whose name in Japanese is "Saburou". One of Brock's Brothers was also named "Saburoo" (spelled like that, pronounced the same).

Samurai = Samurai
Charla (Liza's Charizard) = Liza-Chan! (Yes, I know that was the trainer's name in the dub. In the Japanese version the trainer was "Jiiku", which I have no idea of the origin. However, the reason Charizard is called "Liza-Chan" is because Charizard's Japanese name is "Lizardon" and it's a shortened version of it! At least now we know where Liza the trainer's English name comes from. And I guess the Japanese equivilant of "Liza-Chan" would be "Char-chan" but they called it Charla instead. Oh well, still creative!)
Rudy = Jiggy (This explains some of the episode guide sites calling him Jiggy back a few years ago, since people assumed it would be his English name).
Roger (Pokemon Showboat) = Jan
Poncho = Jango:eek: :eek:
Joe (from Pokemon Tech.) = Jun
Joy = Jooi

Professor Birch's assistant's Japanese name is Joshu... I bet his English name will be Josh.

Professor Hale's assistant, Skyler = John (I wonder why they didn't keep it)
Shingo = Shingo
Muramasa = Muramasa
Wendy from Delibird ep = Jinji (I just thought I'd mention that, cause it sounds funny to me... I'm part Israeli, and in Hebrew "Jinji" is a nickname given to redheads... and Wendy has GREEN hair... lol)
Pete Pebbleman (Fire and Ice) = Seiji (was he dressed like a Sage?)
Sofia = Sofia
Marchello = Malchero
Tomy = Taro
Tomo (His Kangaskhan counterpart) = Tarsan (Haha)
Daiki (Dayton)'s Chinchou, Bright = Bright
Shellby (Man that gives Ash the Phanpy Egg) = Tamazou (Tamago(Egg) + Gomazou (Phanpy)! And Shellby is Shell + Phanpy, woot!)
Danny = Dan
Cherrie = Cherii
Britney = Chihiro
Igglebiff and Igglebuff (her twin Igglybuff) = Pupuran and Pupurun (Igglybuff's Japanese name is Pupurin)
Electric Company leader from the ep where Ash's Chikorita evolves = Dick (Don't ask, I have NO idea where that came from).
Andreaus (from Seaking Contest) = Tokyo (o_O)
Dr. Proctor = Dr. Doc (LOL! Funny, but has a nice ring to it!)
Orville (Pilot's Pidgey) = Orderin (*shrugs*)
Domino = Domino
Dario = Dorio

Also, the name Nanako was used twice. Most of you know it as Kasey's name, but it's also one of Brock's sisters.

Naomi (Sea research worker) = Narumi (Similar enough)
Dr. Namba = Dr. Nanba
Peeko the Wingull = Piiko-Chan
Mimey = Bari-Chan (Mr. Mime's Japanese name is Bariyaado).
Bailey = Hikaru (I know it means something, not sure what *pokes Mozz*
Bell and Bella = Rei and Hana (from Kireihana)
Iron Masked Marauder = Vicious
Sparky = Leon
Zippo = Zippo
Happy = Hapii
Cruz = Kuruuzu
And I bet his Taillow (Roozu) will be "Rose".
Victor (Surfer) = Vincent (Now WHY did the dubbers change it?)
Pooka = Michael (Again I ask, WHY?)
Ethan (Orange Island Desert guy) = Ford (Again, a perfectly fine English name changed.)

Also, the Professor in the first Team Rocket Hoso Special that makes all the mechanisms is named "Buraun-Hakase". I bet in the dub it'll be Professor Brown.

And... the three brothers who have the Hitmons and Tentacools, as you may have heard of them from the first Misty Hoso Special, or from the last Johto ep where Misty leaves, their names are Chan, Shan, and Rin. And their last name is "Blues". I wonder what the dubbers will do with them...

Melody = Flura (Why was that changed? It would have worked, given that she wore flowers...)
Bran Van Darn's Boss = Void
Melvin = Magi (As in Magic)
Maya = Maya

Also, Dani (Marina)'s Pokemon should be easy to guess, as they have nicknames... Misdreavus is Muu-Chan (from Muuma), Jigglypuff is Pink-Chan (obvious), and Croconaw is Waniwani, which she probably gave it that nickname when it was a Totodile, since Totodile's Japanese name is Waninoko.... *shrugs*

Jasmine = Mikan (That's a kinda fruit, given that there was an Orange Island with that as an English name...)
Micki (Skarmory girl) = Miki
Sue, Ine, and Ubb, the Swinub = Uu, Rii, and Muu (Urimuu is Swinub in Japanese).
Yas and Kas = Yasu and Kazu

Another name that was used twice would be Yuuji, who most of you know as Drake from the Orange Islands. Well, he also happens to be that Sandslash trainer, Koji, from the ep where Ash got Cyndaquil.

Suzie = Yuki (Come on! That's a common enough name, they could have kept that!)
Raiden (Feraligatr Sumo guy) = Raiden
Captain Aiden = Russell (ANOTHER fine name!)
Ralph = Ralph
Tony (his Nidoran) = John (John and Mary?)
Simon (Pokemon speaker) = Lung (Hmm... having to do with speaking?)
Lilly = Lilly
Lisa (from 3rd movie) = Lynne (Another one!)
Florinda = Lindou (close to "Linda").
Luke Carson = Luka Carson
Luna Carson = Luna Carson
Luka the boat girl in Whirl Islands = Also Luka

Also, the chick that falls in love with James in the first Team Rocket Hoso Special has the name "Roozu". I bet it'll be Rose.

As well as the Milotic trainer from the Slateport Contest who won, who has the name "Robaato" or "Robert" which I think will be the English name.

Wattson (Tessen)'s assistant's name is "Watto" or "Watt". The dubbers will have to change that though.... oh well, IMO the writers should have checked into English names first :-p.

And finally,

Rokoko = LaCoco

Whew!

~Zak

Entropy
24th September 2003, 05:17 AM
Jack Pollockson is a play on Jackson Pollock, a famous American Abstract Expressionist Painter, who lived from 1912 to 1956.

Zak
24th September 2003, 01:33 PM
I know, but I meant his Japanese name is what I'm unsure of ^^;;

~Zak

Animelee
24th September 2003, 02:11 PM
Awesome guide! I always wanted to make one, but I was so lazy, and besides, you know way more names of secondary characters than I do!

Well, I guess I'll do the main characters. Thanks to Dogasu's Backpack for refreshing me on some of the name meanings I forgot.

Satoshi (SatOSHi) = Ash Ketchum ("Ketchum" is a real last name -- I looked in the phone book and saw four people with the last name. Obviously, it's a play on "Catch 'em". "Satoshi" is based on Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon, the creator or GAME FREAK, and the director and producer of all Pokemon games. He currently is working at GAME FREAK, probably on Leaf Green/Fire Red.)

Shigeru Ookido (ShiGERU) = Gary (If you were to Romanize "Ookido", you would get "Orchid". "Shigeru" is based on Shigeru Miyamoto, one of the geniuses [sp] of the video game world. He's the creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, and way more! He's currently working on a roster of new games, including a new Mario game.)

Kasumi = Misty (Kasumi is a referral to the baby's breath plant. Her English name refers to "mist" from water, so I see no relation.)

Takeshi = Brock ("Take" means "bamboo", and "shi" means will. Brock is a play on "rock", so, it makes sense. He's as steady as a rock, anyways... except when a pretty older woman comes along... :))

Kenji = Tracey Sketchit (I have no idea what Kenji means, but I do know that "Tracey" comes from "trace" and "Sketchit" comes from "sketch it"...)

Masato = Max (I'm not sure what "Masato" means, but I do know that since his sister is named "May" he was given a similar name.)

Haruka = May ("Haruka" means "far away" in Japanese, and that's probably where Hanada Tattsu wants her, LOL. "May" is similar to "Max", the name of her younger brother.)

Hiroshi = Richie ("Hiroshi" used to be the president of Nintendo, before he retired and handed it over to Satoru Iwata. "Richie", um, I guess it's just a random name 4Kids chose.)

Kenta = Yoshi (There are many people who have the name "Kenta" who work at GAME FREAK. "Yoshi" is just some random name 4Kids pulled out of their butts -- Ken would of been better, at least...)

Marina = Dani (No idea why her name is "Marina" -- it's an English name, though. "Dani" is a name 4Kids probably pulled out of their noses.)

Junichi = Jackson (Junichi Masuda is the brilliant sound director at GAME FREAK *Animelee listens to RS soundtrack* ...Jackson is a name "similar" to Junichi.)

Hazuki = Harrison (No idea what Hazuki means in Japanese. "Harrison" is just a name "similar" to "Hazuki".)

Yukinari Ookido-Hakase = Professor Samuel Oak ("Ookido" would be "Orchid" if Romanized. "Hakase" is a suffix for "Professor". Oak is kind of like "Orchid", especially since they're both names that are based on plants. I have no idea what the name "Yukinari" means, but I do know that "yuki" means snow, so maybe it has something to do with his white hair. :P)

Utsugi-Hakase = Professor Elm ("Utsugi" is Japanese for a type of plant called a "deutzia". Elm is type of tree, which follows the traditional plant-name for a Pokemon professor, both in the English and Japanese game/anime series.)

Uchikido-Hakase = Professor Ivy (I have no idea what her Japanese name means, but it looks very similar to a plant. Hey, maybe it DOES mean "Ivy", like her English name?)

Odamaki-Hakase = Professor Birch (His Japanese name means "Columbine", a type of flower. His English name, again, follows suit of the plant-professor-name-thing, and is "Birch". I wouldn't expect Nintendo to use a literal translation of his Japanese name, since of the uttery dispicable act at Columbine High around five years ago.)

Gantetsu = Kurt (I have no idea what his Japanese name means, but in the anime "Inuyasha", sword names usually start with "tet" or "ten", and since he's a Pokeball maker and uses the same technique as sword welders, I wouldn't be surprised if his name had something to do with welding. Anyways, his English name was just given to him by Nintendo of America, and it has no apparent meaning.)

Musashi = Jesse (Musashi Miyamoto was a legendary swordsman who in the seventeenth century. One of his greatest victories was against another legendary swordsman named Kojiro Sasaki. Jesse is one half of the name "Jesse James", which happened to belong to a very well-known Wild West outlaw. In the English dub, naming Team Rocket characters after famous outlaws of history is traditional.)

Kojiro = James (Kojiro Sasaki was another legendary swordsman of Japanese culture, much like Musashi Miyamoto. He died against Musashi in a swordfight to the death. James' name is the second half of the name "Jesse James" -- everything is explained above.)

Yamato = Cassidy ("Yamato" was a battleship that was used during World War II -- Musashi was also another battleship, which explains why Yamato and Musashi hate eachother. The name "Cassidy" comes from the second half of "Butch Cassidy", another popular Wild West outlaw of history.)

Kosaburo = Butch ("Kosaburo" means "third son", and Kojiro means "second son", which explains why those two are always competing with eachother, kind of like a sibling rivalry. "Butch" is the first half of "Butch Cassidy", which is explained above.)

Domino = Domino (One name 4Kids left alone. No idea WHY she's called Domino...)

Zanna and Lion = Annie and Oakley (??) (I KNEW what their names mean in Japanese, but it slipped my mind... I forgot their English names since I don't watch the dub anymore, but I DO know that again, their names are based on a popular outlaw of the past.)

Sakaki = Giovanni (I have NO idea what "Sakaki" means, but I do know that since the Rocket Gang is kind of like a mafia, 4Kids gave Sakaki an Italian name, Giovanni.)

Shiranui-Hakase = Professor Sabastian (I have no idea what his Japanese name means, and I guess "Sabastian" is suitable for some kind of extreme nerd like Shiranui.)

You guys want me to do more, or stop? ^^;

Nikku-San
25th September 2003, 12:58 AM
This has been a very informative topic! ^^ Great idea, now if only I could remember all this stuff.

Pewter City Geodude
25th September 2003, 01:33 PM
Good work, Zak. Saw this on Bulbagarden too.

I think the choice of name for "Brad Van Darn" was funny, as it was obviously meant to be a spoof of Jean-Claude Van Damme, and the concept of that guy preferring a Smoochum to a Charizard or Houndoom is midly amusing. :P

Hanada Tattsu
26th September 2003, 01:16 AM
Thanks, Zak, and Animelee!

Wow, this was informative, lol, Animelee, yes, Haruka should be VERY, VERY FAR AWAY now that Misty's back.

Wow, do more!

Ashi-chan
27th September 2003, 04:09 PM
Wow, this is an interesting topic. Japanese names are fun.

Originally posted by Zak
Britney = Chihiro

Britney was the one girl who sang with two of her Pokemon, right? I forget, but if that's the one and the dub was making a dumb pun of Britney Spears, I wonder if the original writers were making a similar pun to Yonekura Chihiro, a fairly popular J-pop artist.

Another name that was used twice would be Yuuji, who most of you know as Drake from the Orange Islands. Well, he also happens to be that Sandslash trainer, Koji, from the ep where Ash got Cyndaquil.

You know who else is named Yuuji? Takeshi's (Brock) seiyuu Ueda Yuuji!

Ken and Mary of the PMC = Ken and Merii of the PFC (Yeah, they kinda messed up on the dub, given that they made an F with the body motions... it was originally "Pokemon Fushigi Club" instead of "Pokemon Mystery Club").

I knew there was something weird about their body motions! At least the translation makes sense. Fushigi translates to "mystery" or "mysterious."

Sparky = Leon

This would be Richie's Pikachuu, right? Leon's an odd name for a Pokemon, heh. Wasn't Sparky's name Chuchino or something like that in one of the manga?

Originally said by Animelee
Takeshi = Brock ("Take" means "bamboo", and "shi" means will. Brock is a play on "rock", so, it makes sense. He's as steady as a rock, anyways... except when a pretty older woman comes along... :)

I remember hearing his name also came from Shuuda Takeshi-san, who used to write the episodes for the anime. Maybe I'm wrong?

Kenta = Yoshi (There are many people who have the name "Kenta" who work at GAME FREAK. "Yoshi" is just some random name 4Kids pulled out of their butts -- Ken would of been better, at least...)

Yeah, Kenta fits him better than Yoshi. Maybe the dub ripped it off Yoshi from Miyamoto Shigeru-san's games. (shrugs shoulders)

Kojiro = James (Kojiro Sasaki was another legendary swordsman of Japanese culture, much like Musashi Miyamoto. He died against Musashi in a swordfight to the death. James' name is the second half of the name "Jesse James" -- everything is explained above.)

Ha! No wonder why Musashi's the more dominant of the two! "She" killed Kojiro in a swordfight.

Hanada Tattsu
27th September 2003, 05:25 PM
Yes, and you know, I can add to this.

Miyamoto is Mushashi's deceased mother who used to work for Team Rocket. Samurai Mushashi's first name was Miyamoto.

Cool, eh?