PDA

View Full Version : Old Games

Razola
1st October 2003, 07:41 AM
Remember old games or franchises that died off at some point? Which ones did you enjoy and would like to see again.

Frankly, I'm wondering what happened to the Carmen Sandiego games. I use to love those as a kid.

kurai
1st October 2003, 01:03 PM
Personally I would prefer if my old favourites and cool franchise games were never touched again by companies looking to gain a bit more profit off my nostalgia by "modernizing" the classics.. there are lots and lots of games which could fall into this category, virtually any PC or arcade game made before 1995 could fit in here, for example.

woz
1st October 2003, 01:07 PM
yeah let's have some new **** please. they usually **** up "remakes" anyway... (see toe jam and earl iii).

Razola
1st October 2003, 05:39 PM
Toe Jam & Earl wasn't a remake, first off. It's just a sub-par sequel to the old games.

Furthermore if you all had your way, there'd be no sequels at all. Nothing wrong with old franchises getting a good game. It has nothing to do with an old franchise coming back, but has a lot to do with the game just sucking.

Adz44
3rd October 2003, 06:54 PM
I liked a series of games starring an egg (yes, an egg with arms and legs) called Dizzy. In each game, he would have to save the Yolkfolk (usually from curses). As corny as it sounds, they were actually great games. The Dizzy games were adventure games with a lot of areas to explore.

If you've ever owned a ZX Spectrum, you should already know about him. However, one of the later games also appeared on the NES or SNES and the C64.

I'd like to see a new Dizzy game, but I highly doubt Codemasters would want to go back the series. I'm quite sure they have other plans.

Duo_Washu_III
4th October 2003, 07:57 AM
to me, the LucasArts archives pack was the coolest tihng, especially monkey island. it was the greatest puzzle game to me because it was funny and had numerous LucasArts related stuff. i haven't played the 2nd one yet, but the 3rd and 4th ones were great! people siad that they're going to make a 5th one, but i don't belive them too much...

another game was Loom. this was different, it had no "pull" or "pick up" it had a staff and some musical notes. a,c,b,f,g,e,and c' i think. it would be nice if they made a movie about Loom...

i have nothing more to say so, look behind you a three headed monkey! *runs off*

StellarWind
26th October 2003, 06:32 PM
Much agreed with Duo_Washu_III - The MI series ROCKED (Although I found EMI/MI4 to be horrible and quite unnecessary, but that's just me)

MI2 rocked. ^_^

Loom was VERY interesting. I quite enjoyed the magic/music system.

I'm pretty much a fan of a LOT of old Point-and-Click adventure games - LucasArts games (like the MI series, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle etc.) are only a few of my favorites. Sierra also had some great Point-and-Click adventure games (for the sake of the interest let's call them Quests) - both as developers (The Quest for Glory series, King's Quest, Space Quest, etc.) and as publishers (They published most stuff by Coktel Vision, that insane, surrealistic company that brought us odd titles such as the Gobliins series, Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth, The Prophecy, etc).

Cryo were excellent developers, bringing sadly underappreciated titles like the pretty good Dune (The game got me into liking the series as a whole) and the AMAZING Lost Eden (which is so little heard of, unfortunatley, and some titles like Atlantis and Atlantis 2, which were pretty good from what I've heard, but I never got to play them.

Of course, there are also some games that were a developer's only 'good' title in the field, like Adventure Soft's Simon the Sorcerer (Simon 2 was terrible in comparison), Trilobyte's "The Seventh Guest" (which was frustratingly difficult at times), Psygnosis' Discworld games (Discworld, and Discworld II: Missing Persumed....?! AKA Mortality Bytes), Dreamworks' "The Neverhood", Funcom's "The Longest Journey" (Pretty much the god of all Quests) and several of the games starring Tex Murphy, Private Eye (Such as 'Under a Killing Moon' and 'The Pandora Directive', which were really more of an interactive movie.)

Ahh, the good old days of Pre-LUA quests.... (sigh)

But enough about that.

There's quite a few other great titles which never seem to get enough appreciation - to name some, Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (An EXCELLENT RPG with one of the best-developed worlds i've ever seen), The Jazz Jackrabbit series (Yay for crazy platformers), Fire Fight (Yay for stunning tilesets), Star Command: Revolution (I love the designs on the Triumverite ships, eh heh...), System Shock 2 (The only 3D first-person-shooter I ever liked (I don't like that style as a whole, but System Shock 2 combined RPG elements, puzzle-solving, and above all, a VERY clever freakin' AI for its time), and....

Oh sod it, If i'll start now I'll never finish.

Shemura
26th October 2003, 07:07 PM
Dino Park Tycoon was a cool little game I used to play all of the time. It was fun. I cracked up as soon as I saw that Vegasaurus dino. That purple tuxedo and bad tupee made it look funny.

Loom? I still have the cd for that game somewhere. If I dig it up I'll be sure to play it one of these days. *pokes the green sheep* Grass green, I hate that color... ;)

StellarWind
26th October 2003, 08:09 PM
LOL! That was a funny segment. Saved the sheep, though got Bobbin captured... xD

Interesting note is that there are a bunch of Loom refrences in the Monkey Island games, 1 in particular (although MI3, or CMI, also had a Loom refrence.)

Heh heh, I wish I had the CD version of that game with the spruced up graphics...

Adz44
27th October 2003, 09:06 AM
The Monkey Island games were great. I had 1 and 2 for the Commodore Amiga. I liked the humour and interesting storyline. I remember the bit where one of the cannibals say "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?" lol Hundreds of great lines like that.

I completed both. Haven't tried any of the newer ones yet, though. Must get round to it...

TeleFox
27th October 2003, 03:22 PM
I'm impressed StellarWind, you really know your stuff :yes:.
I loved the old Sierra 'Quest' games, we had King's Quest up to about KQV, and Space Quest IV, plus a few other archaic legends on our old 286 (MegaHertz? No, try KHz).
Does anyone remember The Incredible Machine? The game where you had to stick all these items on the screen in various places to complete different tasks, like shoot the goldfish? Ahh, those were the days... plenty of amusing things you could do to the cats, usually involving bowling balls, revolvers and rockets.
I've still got the old Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis), Mega CD and Saturn (we got it free, don't look at me like that) lying around, which do get played on occasionally. My friends used to get together at one of our places and play Micro Machines using the IR control pads, now that was entertaining. There were some pretty good RPG's on the old systems too, tho I can't remember the name of my fav... only that one of the characters was called 'Astral', there was a big stone giant somewhere, and after a while you got this kind of caravan-shell thing that your party could ride in.
Good times, good times.

StellarWind
27th October 2003, 04:56 PM
Oh yeah! The Incredible Machine! Those were fun. ^_^

And so was The Incredible Toons. Crazy, Crazy spinoff....

Ah, yes, the old Sega consoles. ^^; You must be referring to the Shining Force series. I never quite played these games myself...

But I LOVE the Phantasy Star series.