PDA

View Full Version : hint about Ash's father? (from the 2nd episode)

Pewter City Geodude
2nd October 2003, 04:54 PM
If this has been discussed to death before, either a) I didn't notice or 2) it was before I got into Pokemon, so humor me.

When Ash called home in the second episode, Delia was pleased that he'd got there so quickly and said that his father took 4 days to get there when he started on his journey. But notice what she said next: "He'll be so proud!" To me, that would imply that Ash knows who his father is, and that he is alive and accessible, at least at the time of that episode. If he had gone off somewhere and abandoned them, or was dead, wouldn't Delia have said, "He'd be so proud!", meaning 'if he was still here'...?

Am I making any sense?

Water Pokemon Master
3rd October 2003, 12:28 AM
That makes perfect sense. However, the people who translated the episode could have changed that part and not have known what they had implied, or it could have been different in the Japanese version. Afterall, it was the second episode and they were just getting into the process of translating and all of that stuff. As for as the episode crew knows, as they state on the 3rd movie commentary, they have no clue to who Ash's father is and say we will know more about him in season 6, so the Japanese say.

That's a good point though. After seeing that episode over thirty times, I'm suprised I didn't think about that.

Pewter City Geodude
3rd October 2003, 10:49 AM
Well I found out from Murgatroyd that that line was in fact dub-added...so I guess that kills that idea.

Hanada Tattsu
3rd October 2003, 08:32 PM
Oh well, nice try though. I guess this can be closed now.