PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

Dragonfree
2nd October 2003, 06:46 PM
Well, I've talked about my "other fanfic"... and I was wondering if I should post it here. However, there are a few things that make me wonder... will it just get laughed at? Will anyone bother to read it? Well...

It starts out as a very typical trainer fic, except that there's no professor. The main character finds a Charmander outside in the rain and saves it. Not exactly an original beginning, is it?

It stays with no signs of ever becoming anything else than a trainer fic with some plot twists for twenty-six chapters.

Chapters at least one to eight of these twenty-six that don't have a real point are, well, not very good. I wrote them ages ago when I had no idea pokémon fanfics could be anything else than trainer fics. I am revising them to fix the sadistic writing style, but that still can't fix the fact that the fic was completely out of the blue when I wrote those chapters, and although a few things seem to relate to later chapters, it's not because it was planned, it's because later I noticed something in the chapter that seemed very out of the blue and put something in a later chapter to explain it. It's still shallow.

Well, at the beginning, the whole plot is just shallow. It does get a bit of depth when I started wondering what in the world to do with the fic, and took an aim to chapter twenty-seven.

The chapters vary dangerously much in quality. Sometimes I feel like writing and have been going over a chapter in my mind forever, the outcome is a pretty good chapter I'm proud of. However, sometimes I'm writing a chapters, suddenly I come to a dead end but because I want to finish, I write the last lines and they become completely empty. Some of the first chapters were entirely written when I was in that mood. The outcome is a bad chapter (or end of a chapter) that just isn't good. At least I don't think it is.

I have BIG issues with descriptions. I haven't managed to put in one word about what the main character looks like, simply because I find it extremely hard to suddenly go away from the storyline and write lengthy paragraphs about how something looks, especially if it's an important character. However, I have this really strange habit of describing people's voices. Almost every character in the story (except the main characters) has some kind of a description of their voice. Junior trainers in gyms. Some random people. It's just weird. It actually sounds like the author is blind and recognizes people by their voices. Well, it's mainly just really weird.

I also have a thing about putting my thoughts and opinions into the fic. A lot of them. Through various characters. Maybe it's a bit too much of them, I don't know.

OK, I'll put some good points about it too...

The pokémon play a big part in it, it happens in the future when kids learn pokémon language at school so the pokémon can really express themselves, think and have feelings, really affecting the plot.

It doesn't resemble the animé at all. No two Team Rocket members with their talking pokémon that blast off in every chapter, no gym leaders suddenly deciding to follow a kid, no super-pokémon that wins everything, an entirely made-up world, no one trying to be a "pokémon master" (just because pokémon training is fun... and legendary pokémon, too), I could go on and on. For short, it's original (once the trainer ficcyness is over).

Some chapters may be bad, but there are some good ones.

That's about it for the good parts, really. Oh, and my grammar is normally better than this post, I'm just half-asleep at the moment.

So, I was wondering if you think it's worth being posted here or not?

mr_pikachu
2nd October 2003, 10:28 PM
Hey, the way I see it, any Pokemon fic is a good fic. :D But to be honest, this sounds like eventually it could be good. However, your first 26 chapters sound from your descriptions like they need some major re-working. Observe some of the other author's descriptions, such as Mist, CCC, Gavin, Oz... the list goes on and on. What I'm trying to say is that you can learn from example.

Also, I'd try to put more originality into the beginning. Maybe the main character doesn't want to go on a Pokemon journey, but is forced to. Maybe his Charmander is resentful because it was trying to commit suicide in the rain or something. Those are just a few of the infinite number of ideas you could use. Trust yourself as a writer, and go for it! :yes:

PancaKe
2nd October 2003, 11:32 PM
I think you should. I agree with pretty much everything Mr Pikachu has to say about it, especially the parts abot me having a good fic (lol ;)) And also, posting your fic here would give other people a lot more to give an opinion on, rather than just a summary. And a lot of people here are willing to give advice and you might get some really good advice from some of us, and good help with yoru fic.

~Mist

classy_cat18
2nd October 2003, 11:48 PM
I say go for it! But when you post it, watch out for mr_pikachu. He can spot a error in grammar from a mile away. :P

Dragonfree
3rd October 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by mr_pikachu
Hey, the way I see it, any Pokemon fic is a good fic. :D But to be honest, this sounds like eventually it could be good. However, your first 26 chapters sound from your descriptions like they need some major re-working. Observe some of the other author's descriptions, such as Mist, CCC, Gavin, Oz... the list goes on and on. What I'm trying to say is that you can learn from example.

Also, I'd try to put more originality into the beginning. Maybe the main character doesn't want to go on a Pokemon journey, but is forced to. Maybe his Charmander is resentful because it was trying to commit suicide in the rain or something. Those are just a few of the infinite number of ideas you could use. Trust yourself as a writer, and go for it! :yes:
Well, I can't really change the plot while revising it. You know, when I started reading some decent fics and noticing how bad it was, I worked so hard to tie up the loose ends that now it's one big knot that can't really be loosened. To make the beginning better, I'd have to change a lot of the rest of it, and sadly it's the same with many other things than just what that Charmander was doing in the rain exactly (I always had it planned half of why it was in the rain, but the other half was just a loose end that had to be tied up). But the worst is that usually those plot twists that are actually good were tied up from loose ends like that. So it will have to stay with that beginning. Anyway... I'll give it a go.

Chris 2.1
3rd October 2003, 01:14 PM
Yea, i'd love to see it, Dragonfree :) I mean, revise it as well as you can, but I'm sure if you go over the grammatical errors then the plot will stick nicely. I mean, good description can, in many cases, outweigh the trainery-background you have established. I'd be lying if I said a fic with Charmander as the starter ever made it to the end - most boards I visit have countless trainer fics with countless starters, and not one (or one I am aware of) has a Charizard.....because they just wilt.

Go for it, because I'll read it!

Dragonfree
3rd October 2003, 01:54 PM
OK... I revised the first chapter for the third time and posted it. The link is in my sig, if you want to read it.