PDA

View Full Version : Are you looking for new fics, or just reading your old ones

Dragon_Claw
3rd October 2003, 01:38 PM
I see lots of new fics being posted, some of them really good. But it comes to my attention that only the ones by populair writers are being read. Is writing just about popularity?

The pure genius of Brit Chris' writing skill: From Pokémon, continue on Pokémon, and then something completely different. However, he did mention Monica in one of his Pokémon stories, which made the readers interested, so was I. But do you even go to new fics? Because no matter how long a person is writing, there was a beginning. Actually Brit Chris just made a Pokémon fanfic, but still everybody read it. Is writing just about the right genre on the right time?

Sorry to use Brit Chris as an example, he's just the person that sprung to mind when writing this thread.

mistysakura
5th October 2003, 01:00 AM
Memories... (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17889)

I think it's true that most people tend to read old fics; I'm not accusing anyone here except for possibly myself. I know that people probably take on a new fic or two a month, and that's very nice of them, considering that, like every one of us, they have lives too. :yes:

But the popularity problem definitely does exist. I shouldn't be talking here, because I haven't read a new fic in a while. I find that sometimes the new fics are very good, but no one ever replys. I think it's because people know what to expect in fics they've already started reading, but not in new fics, and so when they're already hooked on the old ones, they can't be bothered to read the new fics. I know that my fic (I should not be talking... left it to die for three months...) (and am not trying to advertise here) has had three consecutive new chapters where nobody has posted, or even read, it seems from the views count.

Also, since new fics tend to have less readers, they go to the second page quickly, and no one really goes to the second page unless they're finding a specific fic.

mr_pikachu
6th October 2003, 11:18 PM
Well, part of the problem is with time. Heck, if I could be on TPM 24/7, I'd read every fic here, and then some. :D But the fact is that we have lives of our own. Therefore it is difficult (if not impossible) to read new fics in addition to the "greats", especially during times like a job or the schoolyear. That is why many new writers don't get noticed immediately. However, I think that, with perserverance, you can be noticed, no matter how new you are to the forum now. So here's a message to all the new writers out there: Keep at it! In my first fic, I had barely any replies, but when I worked harder on my second one (still in progress, btw), I got many more viewers who are still dedicated readers to this day. Also, it helps to read the fics of others, as well as your own. This said, it won't be easy at first. You may feel unappreciated if you don't get many replies. But remember my story, and keep at it. You CAN be a popular writer, just like the "great ones" here. (Not including myself, of course. ;)) Keep working on it, and we'll try to get to your fic, too!

Darien Shields
10th October 2003, 02:46 AM
(As I see it)

A young fan sees a great fic ---> in emulation and admiration, they write their own fic.---> It's really bad. ---> It's rather popular ---> thinking they're on a role, they write another fic, which isn't as bad ---> it is less popular ---> they write several good fics ---> they get almost no notice ---> they write several more good fics, and eventually, one of them is recognised ---> the writer becomes "acclaimed" so to speak, and goes on to write many a great fic... ---> a younger fan sees their fic ------->

For example, take 2ra! He's at stage one, poor english fic, very popular. Me, I think I'm arround the "writer several more good fics" although good is perhaps an exxaggeration... All I know is that my most recent fic is more popular... Although following the theory, it could just be really bad ^_^; Mist and Mr.P. are obviousley at the latter end, inspiring people to write! So anyway, keep at it DC, you'll get noticed one day (But maybe not very soon...)

mistysakura
10th October 2003, 03:14 AM
I totally don't agree with the "bad first fic, but popular" thing. It depends what you meean by popular. does lots and lots of constructive criticism count? Becaus ethat seems to be what happens, except with a few fics that I've seen with obvious flaws, but nobody correcting them. also, it seems that a "fan" of one fic usually reads everything else by the same author, so writing more fics without acclamation doesn't seem to be an issue most of the time.

That's just my 2 cents.

Darien Shields
10th October 2003, 03:45 AM
The popular bad fic is first of all, another attack at 2ra, in my ongoing war with him (unfortunately he doesn't seem to notice), but also my first fic, "Eeveelution" that I did waaaaay back was more popular than any other fic before Pokemon Kami. Their were one or two people giving CC, but most were just along for the proverbial ride. The reason (I think) these bad fics are popular is because A) they skip anything boring, and go straight to badly portrayed battle scenes or unbeleivable conversations Like "Hello myname isJim Do youwanto fight?" "Yes my name is Maclom want fight. Go Charbander" and B) Poor english is easier to read, for soem people. I had a look, and 2ra's fan base is composed of people mainly who don't read other, bigger fics.

Captain Pringle
10th October 2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Darien Shields
A young fan sees a great fic ---> in emulation and admiration, they write their own fic.---> It's really bad. ---> It's rather popular ---> thinking they're on a role, they write another fic, which isn't as bad ---> it is less popular ---> they write several good fics ---> they get almost no notice ---> they write several more good fics, and eventually, one of them is recognised ---> the writer becomes "acclaimed" so to speak, and goes on to write many a great fic... ---> a younger fan sees their fic ------->

Although this is in no way true for everyone, I have to admit, I've seen this happen with many people.

I mean... I saw dh13's Marty's Pokemon Conquer Elemental League ---> I started Michael's Pokemon Journey a short while later ---> (not my best stuff) ---> 300+ replies at least --> I write Firewood Ketchup ---> it's popular, but not to the extent of MPJ (fortunately, it wasn't a second trainer fic, and so it reached a totally different audience)...

and that's where I start to deviate a bit I guess. Instead of being in a "write several good fics, but get almost no notice" stage, I'm in a "write one good fic veeery slowly, and still get notice for it" stage... But the point is, I have seen the entire cycle happen with many writers. Yet, as mistysakura said, it can't be true for everyone.

dratinihaunter13
10th October 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Darien Shields
The popular bad fic is first of all, another attack at 2ra, in my ongoing war with him (unfortunately he doesn't seem to notice), but also my first fic, "Eeveelution" that I did waaaaay back was more popular than any other fic before Pokemon Kami. Their were one or two people giving CC, but most were just along for the proverbial ride. The reason (I think) these bad fics are popular is because A) they skip anything boring, and go straight to badly portrayed battle scenes or unbeleivable conversations Like "Hello myname isJim Do youwanto fight?" "Yes my name is Maclom want fight. Go Charbander" and B) Poor english is easier to read, for soem people. I had a look, and 2ra's fan base is composed of people mainly who don't read other, bigger fics.

try to be a little less specific, more people read your posts than that rival of yours ;). although i don't understand why there still is a "war" there if he's ignoring your attacks. write another story or something. but that's neither here nor there! old school

Bad fics are rarely popular. No, let's make that never popular. What happened to that common sense which used to be so obvious? that people prefer reading good fics? A popular fanfic may not be great, but it is usually good, and at the very least, so-so (MPCEL was not as good as the replies made it out to be). At any rate, it has to have something that keeps a reader reading, since that's how the post count goes up and makes a writer popular. And I don't think poor english will keep a reader reading. That makes little sense. Why would so many readers ask writers to improve their writing if they're liking the fic the imperfect way it is? Popular fics aren't always the best ones on the board, but they are always so-so or better.

The original cycle posted is true for some writers though, except for a really bad fic being popular. something tells me that's a personal thing against aforementioned rival. besides that i think i've followed the cycle. but i didn't do several fics at all >_<.

Darien Shields
10th October 2003, 02:24 PM
It's quite obvious it doesn't make sense, but it is true despite this! Bad Fics and bad literature can be popular. Take Harry Potter. It's not a bad series of books, but it is not a truly great. It's pop(ular) fiction, that's all. But lets not get into a debate about Harry Potter. I don't want to make this popular, but go and check out 2ra's fic. And tell me either that it's unpopular, or that it's good.

mistysakura
10th October 2003, 10:49 PM
It's unpopular, because it's lurking somewhere on the 4th page. And I know it gets many replies, but it sure doesn't anymre, and people seem to have forgotten about it (not nominated for that many awards, huh?)

I guess it's just people's opinions on "good" and "Bad". For instance, I personally don't like thge style of "Creatures New and Old", but that's just me, and I see what other people are saying is good about that fic. I do disagree with the bad english thing, though. It's kind of... stupid.

Chris 2.1
16th October 2003, 04:19 AM
Kool, I'm an example!?!

Ok, well, first things first - I started FRTC, the trainerfic of unoriginality, back on Serebii before it went down around last October. It was unpopular, but i kept slapping down chapters, and eventually, people got to know it better, see.

And then at TPM, we went through the same thing. Nobody replied, although many Spp'ers had flocked here after their usual forum had been closed down.

With the Indigo Road, 'sequel' to FRTC, many people anticipated it and just...read it. It was also prety lengthly.

The thing is, I don't really read anything new. I read fics by many of the big writers around here, and read fanfics from people that read mine, but I would never try and read anything new. I may, however, begin reading new material, because every writer on this board will know how annoying it is when nobody replies!

Cya,
Chris