PDA

View Full Version : Dark Portal: Not your average trainer fic

Pig on the Wing
25th October 2003, 06:01 PM
Hi everybody. This is my second fic. Unfortunately I never got further than posting Chapter 2 on my first fic, but it got deleted by accident while I was deleting unwanted files on my comp. Ah well....

Dark Portal is my preferred story of the two I've written. Enjoy:

Chapter 1: Angus' Joy and Horror

Hi. My name’s Angus. I’m 16, an only child, fairly tall and have brown eyes and black hair. I’m not like the other kids round here. My family is very rich for a start. Also, I don’t go to school as I have private tuition at home and also I have a Pokemon. No other kids round here have a Pokemon, but then again they all dream of one day going to Littleroot, Pallet or New Bark town to be given a Pokemon and then become a Pokemon master. I don’t dream of that although I do train a lot with Feline. Oh, Feline’s my Pokemon by the way. She’s a Skitty. Anyway, that’s me out of the way. Now on with the story…

“Pay attention. You’ll never be any good at algebra if you don’t listen.” The tutor said, raising his voice slightly.
“Yeah, whatever.” I replied, and then continued gazing out of the window. I looked at the 4 acre field that we owned, and wished I was out there on a sunny day like this playing with Feline rather than in here learning algebra. I shuddered. I hate Maths.
“Now,” the tutor continued, “If 3x – 7 = 8, what is x. Remember, no gap means you multiply them.” I looked at the board completely bored out of my mind. A 5 year old could do this.
“X = 5.” I said dully.
“Bravo.” The tutor applauded. I just sat there and stared out of the window. Then I took a deep breath and asked,
“Sir, do you have a Pokemon?” The tutor stared at me. He then nodded slowly a smile creeping up on his old features. “What is it?” I asked, excited. He smiled and took a yellow and black Ultra ball from his belt. He threw it, but nothing prepared me for what I saw next. After the white light faded I stared at the Pokemon in awe. It was a giant navy blue thing, with four legs, each ending in a small sliver spike. It also had red eyes and a large silver ‘X’ across its main body.
<META!> it roared.
“Wh-what is that?” I stammered, not sure whether to be afraid or amazed.
“A Metagross.” He said simply. I continued to stare. “I have two more Pokemon also.” He said, before throwing another two Ultra balls. The two Pokemon inside these looked dangerous as well. One was a large blue dragon, with a long tail and two humungous wings. It also had four spikes sticking out of its head. The other Pokemon was spherical in shape with black two black spikes sticking out of the top. It had cold blue eyes that made you feel cold just looking at them. It had black circles all over its body and a black diamond above its eyes and then opened its mouth to reveal four white teeth. I gaped, stupefied.
<Glai!> the round Pokemon said coldly.
<SALA!> the dragon roared, making me jump.
“Salamence,” the tutor pointed at the dragon, “and Glalie.” He pointed at the round Pokemon.
“Wow.” Was all I could say. “What type are they?” I suddenly asked. The tutor smiled.
“Metagross is a Steel, Psychic type, Salamence a Dragon, Flying type and Glalie an Ice type.” He said. “Although sometimes I think that Glalie should be part dark.” he added.
“How did you -” I began, but he interrupted.
I used to be a Pokemon trainer.” He said. “Best there was. Managed to defeat the Elite Four and the Champion in Kanto, Jhoto and Hoenn. Then I came here.” He sighed. “This league, even with these three I didn’t stand a chance. The league here is very tough. Couldn’t even get the fourth Gym badge.” His voice trailed off. “Ah well.” He sighed. “Return!” he said suddenly, and three red beams sucked the three Pokemon back into their Ultra balls. He turned back to the board, and wrote something on it. Then a bell sounded and I started to back away my things.
“Er-hum.” He coughed. “Your homework is on the board, you have one week to complete it.” I sighed and looked at the board. I could have hugged the tutor. I pinched myself and looked again.

HOMEWORK: INSIDE YOUR DESK ARE TWO GREAT BALLS. YOUR TASK IS TO CATCH TWO RARE POKEMON. YOU HAVE ONE WEEK.

Yup. No dream. Now this was homework I could do!

Still haven’t made much progress on my homework. The only Pokemon I’ve found so far are Magikarp, Zigzagoon and the occasional Ralts. You certainly couldn’t call those rare. I sighed, and skimmed another pebble across the lake in the park. I stared down into the Magikarp filled pond. Nothing rare in there I sighed.
“Come on Feline.” I called. “Let’s go try the river.” The river was fast-flowing and right at the edge of town. Not people went there, only Pokemon trainers went there, and that was only so they could go through the forest that it bordered and into the next town.
<Skitty!> she said. I smiled and started walking down the path. I turned left on Kelm Street and walked to the end of the road, then turned left and walked down the mud-path. After about 5 minutes of walking along the dirt track, I reached the river. It was already six o’clock and it would be getting dark soon. I looked at Feline.
“Be ready.” I said, “We don’t know what’s round here, so be on your guard.” She looked up and nodded. I then stripped down to my underwear and jumped in the water. It was freezing and also fairly dark underwater. I waited until my eyes got adjusted to the light before swimming around to warm up. I then surfaced, took a deep breath, smiled at Feline at dived back down. I saw something swim right past me. I started to follow it. It was no Magikarp that was for sure. It was big, and was two different shades of brown; light brown for the head and tail area, dark brown everywhere else. It must have seen me because it sped up. I also sped up, and soon caught up with it. I’m a very good swimmer; I had to take lessons since I was 3 years old. I grabbed it but let go immediately. It was freezing. Must be a rock, water type I told myself. I then braced myself, and grabbed it. It took all my strength, but I managed to somehow drag it to the surface throw it onto the ground and order Feline to run down to where I was and attack it. I then climbed out, gasping for breath. After a couple of Faint Attacks, I told Feline to use Attract. The fish thing just stared lovingly at Skitty, I walked along the bank until I reached my clothes, I put them on despite me being wet the returned to where Skitty and the fish were. They didn’t look like they had moved. I told Feline to use Headbutt and threw a Great Ball at the fish. The ball wobbled once, twice and – ping. I sighed, relieved.
“I’m calling you Fish.” I said to the Great ball. I then returned Feline to her Poke ball. It was then, when I was alone that I realized how dark it was. I checked my watch. Only 6:30. It shouldn’t be this dark. I started walking back toward the town, where the muffled lights in the curtained windows were shining. I was very jumpy, spinning round and looking everywhere at the slightest, most ordinary sounds like someone shouting, me cracking a twig, wild Pokemon running through the grass. Then, as if things couldn’t get any worse, it started raining. Thunder boomed across the sky and lightning flashed every so often. I could have danced. Of course. It was so dark because there was a storm brewing. Of course that was it. I quickened my pace though, because it was getting very cold.

I got back home and entered using my key, and as silently as possible.
“Where have you been?” said a stern, deep and angry voice. I looked up at my father.
“Outside.” I replied.
“Doing what?”
“I was, um, training Feline.” I said.
“Hmm.” My father still seemed suspicious. He turned to go, but stopped suddenly. “Thief!” he cried. “How dare you steal Great balls?”
“I didn’t steal them!” I protested. “The tutor gave them to me!”
“Liar! You’re grounded for a week! Also, I want you to give the money to the shopkeeper tomorrow!” he then turned, and stormed off upstairs. I stuck my middle finger up at him. As soon as I heard his bedroom door shut, I ran upstairs to my own room. I released Fish into my Magikarp Aquarium and retrieved my book entitled ‘The Pokemon Listed’ and flicked through until I found a Pokemon that looked like Fish.
“Relicanth,” I read, “A Rock and Water type Pokemon.” Well, I’d been right about that at least. I looked over to the Aquarium and saw that all the Magikarp were in one corner while Fish swam around, with an air of dominance. I quickly recalled him and waited for the Magikarp to act normally before going downstairs to the kitchen for dinner. It was sausages and mash, and I took it upstairs to eat as I didn’t particularly want to eat in the same room as my father.

After I had eaten, taken my plate downstairs, thanked my mother and returned to my bedroom I decided to have a shower in the en-suite bathroom and then change into my pyjamas for an early night. I had my shower; the water was nice and warm, much nicer than the river, it was cold and dark in the river, and nice and warm and bright and refreshing in the shower. I was just getting into bed, when I heard a loud crash from downstairs. I jumped, threw some clothes over my pj’s as if it were burglars, I didn’t want to be seen in my pj’s. I then grabbed my two Pokemon and ran downstairs taking the steps two at a time. When I got down there, I saw a Metagross, Mightyena and Linoone battling against two large camels and three white fire foxes. My family was losing.
“Go Feline!” I said, throwing her Poke ball. “Sing!” Feline appeared, closed her eyes, and in a calm, luscious voice began singing a powerfully melodic and enticing tune. All of the Pokemon fell asleep and were returned to their Ultra balls. Then two people in black clothes ran from the room.
“Thanks Angus.” The tutor said, smiling at him.
“Oh my baby!” cried his mother, hugging him. “You shouldn’t have battled! You could have gotten yourself hurt!”
“Katherine.” my father said his voice full of happiness and relief. “Good job son.” He said smiling at me. “I’m proud of you.” I smiled back.
“We were ambushed.” My tutor said, wiping his brow with a tissue. “Smashed the windows those two did, then send out their Pokemon and said we could use one Pokemon each. Of course, the Camerupts came in after the battle had started. We would have lost if it hadn’t been for you. Thank you.”
“That’s okay.” I said smiling. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to bed.” I recalled Feline and walked as calmly as I could up the stairs. When I got to my room, I couldn’t help from leaping in the air and shouting with joy. I had done something great and I was so proud of myself.

The next day was Thursday, the day before my homework was due. I yawned and rolled over. Then I sat up and walked to the door. There was a note tacked to the door. I tore it off and read it.

Angus –
I managed to persuade your father to allow us to go on a field trip to Yggdrassil Forest. Meet me at the front door at 10:00 with your Pokemon and Great balls.
- Mr. Mackenzie

I yawned and went to have a shower. While I was in the shower I realized that for the first time, I actually liked my tutor.
After my shower, I got dressed; wearing a blue t-shirt, camo-trousers then pulled a Nike sweater over the top. Then I went down for breakfast, came up afterwards and brushed my teeth and combed my hair like I did every morning. Then I grabbed my Pokemon and Great ball and headed downstairs for the front door rather than the school room like I normally did.
“Ready?” my tutor asked who was waiting for me.
“Yes sir.” I replied.
“Good. Then let’s get going. We’re going to Yggdrassil Forest where you can get some experience by battling passing trainers and also I may help you catch a Pokemon while we’re there.” I smiled. This was going to be fun.

After walking for 10 minutes with the sun glaring down on us, we finally reached the forest. I rushed into the gatehouse thankful for the shade. I just sat there, and after 12 minutes, a trainer came through.
“Excuse me?” I said, “Would you like a battle?” the trainer looked at me.
“Alright. One-on-one.” The trainer selected a Poke ball and threw it. “Go Vulpix!” he said, and a small reddish brown fire fox appeared.
“Go Relicanth!” I cried, throwing Fish’s Great ball. My tutors’ eyebrows rose, and the trainer swore under his breath as the brown fish appeared. “Attack!” I said, suddenly remembering, I didn’t know any of Fish’s attacks. Fish opened his mouth, and a jet of cool water rushed toward Vulpix.
“Vulpix, Endure! Then use Confuse Ray!” Vulpix closed its eyes and a yellow circle covered Vulpix. The water gun hit, and Vulpix collapsed, but struggled back up again kept in the battle by Endure. Vulpix then closed its eyes again and a black beam shot from its forehead and hit Fish. Fish started flopping around, crashing into the walls and plants inside the gatehouse. Suddenly, he stopped. He looked up angrily, and Water Gunned Vulpix. The fox fainted and was recalled by its trainer.
“Eh. Good battle kid.” I smiled. Then recalled Fish, and followed my tutor and the trainer into the forest. When the trainer was out of sight my tutor turned to me.
“When did you catch a Relicanth?” he asked.
“Yesterday evening.” I replied.
“Hmm.” He said, sounding rather like my father. “Well, that trainer said, he’s only just started raising that Vulpix, its still quite young. Anyway, he also said that he came to this forest because there have been some fairly recent Baltoy sightings. I thought we should look for one and you catch it.”
“What’s a Baltoy?”
“A Baltoy is a Ground and Psychic type Pokemon. It evolves into something called a Claydol.”
“Ah…” We started walking and saw a load of Wurmple, a few Silcoon and one Cascoon. It was about two o’clock when Sir decided we headed back. And then we saw it. We saw a Baltoy. It was a greyish white colour with red eyebrows and a red circle on its stomach. It had a large circle for a head and a smaller circle for a body. Kind of like a snowman. It had a small spike sticking out of the top of its head and a spike sticking out from the bottom of its body. It also had two pole things sticking out from where the head joined the body. It had its eyes closed and was fast asleep.
“Well?” whispered my tutor. “Water Gun it with Relicanth then quickly throws the Great ball before it wakes up and retaliates.” I took Sir’s advice.
“Relicanth, go and use Water Gun!” I said, throwing his Great ball. Relicanth appeared and shot a jet of water at Baltoy. Baltoy was thrown back a bit, but then glowed purple and fired a funny looked ray at Fish.
“Damn. It knows Psybeam, which means it’s at a higher level than I thought.” Sir said. Fish fainted and Baltoy hardly looked hurt.
“Return Fish.” I said recalling him. “Go Feline! Faint Attack now!” Feline split into three, then rushed at Baltoy. Baltoy was again thrown back, but again seemed unaffected by the super-effective attack. It floated up, and fired off another Psybeam.
“Dodge it!” I yelled. Feline leapt aside. “Now, use Quick Attack!” Feline sped off at high speed but Baltoy covered itself in a golden substance. Feline slammed into it, and was hurled back.
“That was Harden. It increases it’s Defence.” Sir said. I nodded. Baltoy then fired off another Psybeam.
“Dodge it again and then Faint Attack it!” I said. Feline jumped out of the way and Faint Attacked Baltoy. This time, it seemed affected. The attacks must be taking their toll on it I thought.
“Now use Quick Attack again!” I said urgently. Feline raced off again and slammed into Baltoy before it had a chance to Harden. “Sing!” I said finally, and that soothing melody flowed out of Feline’s mouth. Baltoy fell asleep. “Great ball go!” I cried throwing the blue and white ball. Baltoy was sucked in and the ping came almost immediately. I picked up the Great Ball.
“I think I’ll call you Eye.” I said to the Great ball.

15 minutes later I opened the front door and strode smiling into the reception area. A walked into the Pokemon Area and Sir showed me how to use the recovery machine. I healed my three Pokemon and then went into the living room. However when I went in there, the first thing I saw made the smile disappear. Sir stopped dead in his tracks and gasped at the dreadful sight in front of them.

EDIT: Daggnabit, missed a bit out

Heavenly Sage HLSOE
25th October 2003, 06:23 PM
Erm...How do I phrase this...This is not bad...but its not good either. There are certain problems that shld not be there but are and certainly there is a lack of description.

The lack of description is very obvious here and it affects the flow of your story aloud. Use some synonyms and try to describe the surroundings. You definitely have to add more emotions in your fic. Hell, you're very weak at that.

At least, the plot is a bit less unusual but your lack of being able to knit the picture into the readers' mind affects it.

Cheers and good luck.

mistysakura
25th October 2003, 06:35 PM
You must have beeen lurking here for a while before you posted this.

The plot isn't bad. It's not a thing with a trainer getting his Pokemon, but a kid with his private tuition. The kid also seems to be slightly arrogant. At least, he's not modest about himself. If that wasn't just a mistake (ie. forgetting that Angus is human), not bad for a character trait.

The description... well, at least you tried. The description of the Pokemon wasn't bad, though since I'm totally unfamiliar with R/S Pokemon, I still can't picture them in my head. The surroundings and such were a real problem, though. What did the woods look like? The river? W;hat does a Faint Attack look like anyway?

Really, as a first chapter, this was very interesting to read. Good length as well. Keep up the good work!

DannyBoy
25th October 2003, 07:11 PM
Ok so far I like this start and it sounds original. I like how he already has his pokemon and that he is privite schooled. I think him catching two pokemon in one chapter is a bit much but you are using pokemon you don't normally see in fics and I like that/ I noticed some grammer and spelling errors here and there that could be fixed up. Also like Misty and Havenly said you need to add description like what teh forest looks like, the pokemon, the surrounding areas. They can help a person reading it gain mental pictures and that makes in more interesting. I think you are heading in the right direction, you just need to do some more work. Keep it up!

Pig on the Wing
28th October 2003, 10:11 AM
Well poeple, Chapter 2 is here, and I put description into it. Sorry about it being a bit late, but I got myself couple of rabbits and guinea pigs that are quite a handful.

Chapter 2: The Beginning of a Journey

I sank to my knees. Sir stepped forwards and placed an hand on my shoulder, but I could tell from the way that he was shaking he couldn’t do much to comfort me. For there, in front of us, was a large pool of blood. However, following the blood to its source, were my parents. Both were lying sprawled on the floor, with knives in their backs. My eyes filled with tears as I beheld the spectacle in front of me.
“You’ll pay.” said Sir suddenly, his voice portraying only hatred. “I swear down now. You’ll pay.”
“S-s-sir,” I said, speaking in a coarse voice, while my throat hurt, “Wh- wh-who’ll pay? Wh-who did this?”
“I’ll tell you later.” He said, in that same cold and hating voice. “Yes, later.” He then turned, and walked out of the room leaving me alone on the floor, tears flowing down my face and onto the floor while thoughts raced around inside my head. Who would do this? Why? What possible purpose was there? My parents were ordinary folk. Sure, a bit richer than other families, but why murder them? It made no sense at all. Then, before I knew it, I was on my feet, and heading upstairs, to go to my room. I just had to be away from that room. I had to alone with myself and my thoughts. However I soon found that even in the my room – which was calm and quiet – that my grief, misery and tears, not to mention my immense feeling of aloneness stopped me from thinking clearly at all. Then in the depths of my mind, a spark flared. Suddenly a thought flashed across my mind. The burglars last night that were dressed in black and attacked my family. They must have been the ones. But who were they? Team Rocket disbanded six years ago, and Team Magma and Aqua disbanded two years ago. So who was behind all this? A new crime organization perhaps? Or maybe a crime organization that had been around decades ago, and was now making comeback? Mr. Mackenzie then flooded my mind. He knew. I got up, and crossed the room to my door, the tears still flowing freely. I headed back downstairs, taking particular care not to look into the living room. I then decided to turn right and go to the classroom. Surely he would be their. I went down the brightly light hallway, under the arch and then turned the handle on the rusted classroom door.
“Come in Angus.” said Mr. Mackenzie, smiling sadly at me. “I’ve been waiting for you. Please, come in and sit down. It’s time I told you what you want to know.” I walked in, shut the door and sat down at my desk. Sir waited for me to get comfortable, before continuing.
“I should have expected this.” he said sighing. I opened my mouth to say something, but he spoke across me, “You may speak in a minute. You’re probably wondering why your parents have been murdered, why I know so much about it and there’s probably about a million different questions rushing through your head at the moment,” he paused as I nodded, “so I suppose its only fair I enlighten you. I shall start at the beginning, where all tales begin.
Your parents, they were classy. In fact, they were Pokemon elites. They were in charge of the fourth Gym, in this mighty region of Jantoenn. When I battled them – in a two-on-two – they slaughtered me. Four times I tried, but each time the result was the same. Eventually, they passed the Gym on to another trainer. They said there was no fun in continually beating trainers. However, it wasn’t the only reason. They also knew something. Something about a weapon. This weapon is the ‘Mewtwo Sword’ considered by many to be a myth. They knew of its existence, along with one other person. That person was killed under mysterious circumstances and your parents knew they were no longer safe. They retired as Gym Leaders, and with a large sum of money, moved here. However, like everything in this world, it wasn’t that simple. A crime syndicate known only as the DMP were after this weapon. Unfortunately they succeeded in locating it. They retrieved the weapon and were mere seconds from achieving world domination, when a brave and mighty warrior, cast a spell, and using his own weapon, banished the Mewtwo Sword forever. The DMP then disappeared, their failure rumoured to have brought about their downfall. However, they were almost instantly replaced by an organization run by that same warrior who saved the world. Somehow his heart was blackened. He called the Sword back from its slumber, only this time your parents were the only ones who knew where it was located. So this warrior founded Team Kai. They far outdid the DMP in their evil deeds. In fact, compared to Team Kai, the deeds performed by the DMP, Team Rocket, Team Magma and Team Aqua all seem like pranks played on the world by mischievous school boys. Anyway, the great warrior finally showed himself to the world. Cold blue eyes, black trousers, black shirt, black cloak and long silver hair were all the media would say to describe him. That and the fact that he carried a sword, a sword measuring 3 metres in length and the fact that he could be a magic user. Of course, powerful as he was, he knew that he was nothing without the Mewtwo Sword, and so 14 years ago, Team Kai disappeared, while the great warrior – who called himself Sepiroth – researched the whereabouts of the Mewtwo Sword, and all he knew of its existence and possibly even the weapon’s location. Of course, after seven failed attempts, he finally tracked down your parents. I believe it was he who murdered them. Why he did it, I shall never know, because now God only knows how he will get the information he desires. That is my tale, the only logical explanation I can think of and I can only hope that it left more questions answered than it did unanswered.”
“That was a load of crap.” I said simply. My eyes narrowed, “You expect me to believe all that rubbish? Look mate, I’m not stupid so just tell me that you don’t know anything about it instead of making up some mumbo jumbo and trying to fool me. Because it won’t work.”
“I’m not lying!” he yelled. “That story is as true as you’re sitting there now, not just some mumbo jumbo! Oh, and believe me, I’m leaving because we’re the only members left of this family, and I’m not staying around here to be murdered in my sleep!” with that, he got up, picked up his Ultra balls and walked out of the room. I heard the front door slam and before I realized what I was doing, I was on my feet my running after him. I ran out of the house, shouting at the top of my voice for him to stop. He must have heard me because he stopped and turned around.
“Yes?” he asked questioningly.
“I’m coming with you.” I said firmly. “Just tell me. Where are we going?” a smile crept up over Mr. Mackenzie’s old features.
“We’re going on a journey. I am going to try and avenge your parent’s death. In fact, while we find Team Kai’s base, we’ll be living the life of Pokemon trainers!”
“That’s just great.” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes, “only, you’ve been a Pokemon trainer. I’ve spent my entire life sleeping in a cosy bed in a warm house.”
“Well why don’t you stay in the house and end up as a bleeding corpse then?” Sir replied, anger building up inside him.
“Okay, okay. If you put it that way, I suppose I’d better leave and go with you then.”
“That’s better.” After that, Sir seemed to calm down and we headed toward Yggdrassil forest, when out of the blue, surprising even me, I asked,
“Did anyone ever challenge Sepiroth?” Sir smiled.
“Yes.” He said, “Another warrior, named Cloud. Of course, he didn’t stand a chance, butchered like a dog in less than three minutes.” My jaw dropped open. “Of course,” Sir continued, “Everyone expected him to be able to defeat Sepiroth, as Cloud had won at least 14 fighting tournaments over the last four years.” After that, we fell silent, as the dark shadowy forest lay ahead of us. Entering the gatehouse, I took large deep breaths, and for some unknown reason, I was scared to go in there. Eventually we walked into the forest, and it seemed darker than other time I’d been in there. The green tree leaves looked black and the whole forest looked as though someone had purposely poured an evil poison into it. A cold, icy blew through the treetops making the leaves whistle and after a few steps, I couldn’t take it anymore. I was desperate to get out of the forest. I pleaded with Sir, until WHACK. He slapped me across the face.
“Get a grip, man!” he said angrily, “It’s just a bloody forest!” I piped down after that. A flock of Taillow took off, making me stop suddenly and stare all round the place. Then something good reached my ears.
“Shroomish, use Headbutt!” a voice called from round a in the forest corner, I suddenly started running and reached a clearing where two Pokemon trainers were having a battle. A small brown umbrella top with two tiny legs and eyes, a tiny mouth and green dots around its head was running toward a large black dog. I assumed the umbrella was the Shroomish. The other smiled cruelly.
“Mightyena, Protect then show that thing what a Headbutt really is.” The black dog closed its eyes and a white screen flashed in front of it. The Shroomish stopped in front of the screen but it wasn’t there anymore and neither was the dog. Suddenly the dog appeared behind Shroomish, lowered its head and charged. It slammed into the umbrella top and it went flying into the air.
“Finish it!” the trainer yelled, “Crunch!” The dog smiled wickedly than concentrated for a minute. Shroomish slammed back onto the forest floor, and crushed some daisies. It just lay there, too stunned to move. The big black dog was still focusing and an icy breeze suddenly started blowing freezing me and probably the other people to the bone. Then the dog opened its mouth, and slammed its jaw down. It then growled, and a pair of ethereal black jaws appeared and then disappeared, reappearing right in front of Shroomish. The small Pokemon screamed, and the black jaws crunched down on it. It fainted, and its trainer recalled it before sinking to his knees on the lush green grass. The trainer with the Mightyena smiled.
“49 wins and 0 losses is my new record. One more victory and I qualify for the Pokemon league!” he looked round and pointed at me. “Hey, kiddo, wanna battle my Mightyena?” I shook my head vigorously, but Sir smiled.
“I will battle you, youngster.” He said stepping forward, “Three-on-three non-continuous battle sound alright?”
“You got yourself deal old man. Mightyena will battle first.” The boy shouted and Sir smiled.
“I’m shaking.” He said sarcastically, “Hmm, I think I’ll go with Glalie.” He said, selecting an Ultra Ball and throwing it. The spherical ice type Pokemon appeared and glared at Mightyena.
“Mightyena, Scary Face!” the boy yelled. Mightyena eyes glowed red and then the beams shot at Glalie. The second the beams left the dogs eyes, Sir shouted,
“Glalie, use Mist!” Glalie closed its eyes in concentration and a thick white mist descended over the battle field. The red beams evaporated, but soon the mist engulfed the entire battle field so that nothing could be seen.
“Mightyena, use Fire Blast!” the dog opened its mouth, its eyes narrowed and a star-shaped ball of flame shot from its mouth.
“Shoot.” said Sir. “Do your best to dodge it Glalie!” he shouted into the mist. A small <Glai> indicated that Glalie was on the move. Suddenly the star shaped fire ball hurtled out of the mist, clearing part of the mist away. “Glalie, Ice Beam now!” Sir called. Glalie darted swiftly out of the mist into the clearance directly in front of Mightyena, the dog smiled wickedly.
“Hyper Beam!” his trainer called. Mightyena opened its mouth and an orange coloured orb slowly appeared, gathering energy every second.
“Hurry, Glalie, hurry.” Sir said, his voice was urgent and he was starting to panic. Glalie’s eyes glowed a cobalt blue, and with stunning speed, an Ice Beam erupted from Glalie’s now open mouth and hurtled toward Mightyena.
“Don’t gather any more energy! Attack now!” the dog’s trainer called. Mightyena then closed its mouth, sweat breaking out on its forehead. It then put up a Protect. The Ice Beam stopped in front of the barrier and disappeared.
“ATTACK NOW!” Mightyena’s trainer called. Mightyena materialized behind Glalie, and with its eyes narrowed evilly, it opened its mouth and the three quarter charged Hyper Beam was released. It hurtled with tremendous speed and force toward Glalie. The poor Pokemon never stood a chance. The orange energy blast smashed into Glalie and it was sent flying across the grassy arena and slammed into a redwood causing a large blue bird to erupt into the squawking its beak off.
“Great ball go!” cried the trainer, throwing a Great ball at the large bird abandoning the battle. The bird was sucked in and the ping came almost immediately. “Yes! I caught me a Swellow!” the trainer then ran from the clearing to retrieve his new Pokemon.
“Glalie,” Sir called, “Come on, on last Ice Beam.”
<Glai> Glalie replied, floating above the ground. It was panting hard and didn’t look like it had any energy left, but its eyes glowed a cobalt blue again, and for the second time in six minutes, an Ice Beam erupted from its mouth. Mightyena stood there, watching the attack waiting for an order from its trainer. Seeing that its trainer wasn’t looking, the poor dog Pokemon gave a mighty howl before the attack hit and it was encased in ice. The trainer heard the howl and turned to see that Glalie was floating right near him and that his Mightyena had been frozen.
“How the heck did your thing survive?” he shouted to Sir.
“Unlike you, I train my Pokemon in self-defence, so that if I don’t give an order, the protect themselves. In this instance, Glalie over there used Endure before the attack hit.”
“F**k!” the boy swore. “Return, Mightyena.” He unclipped he pink poke ball from his belt. “This Friend ball contains a Pokemon that should prove more than a match for whoever you’re going to use!” he said, resuming his place at his side of the arena.
“Return Glalie.” said Sir, recalling his almost-fainted Pokemon. “Go Metagross.” he said simply, throwing his second Ultra Ball. The large monster appeared before on the stadium floor.” The young trainer however was smiling, not in the least bit daunted or afraid by the monstrosity he now had to battle.
“Go Illumise!” he cried, throwing the pink Friend ball. A small fairy appeared. It was small with what looked look like a black leotard on. It had a blue head, blue hands and blue feet. A crop of fiery red hair was growing from its head and it had big yellow eyes. There was a small opening on its head which was obviously a mouth, and two small holes which where its nose. The front of the leotard was blue and striped. On its back, four silvery wings protruded.
<Illu> it said.
“Metagross, smash that bug. Use Meteor Mash and let’s finish this!” Metagross stared forward, and two large meteors appeared in front of it. The two meteors then smashed into the other ones side, until the merged into one. The meteor then rushed at tremendous speed toward Illumise.
“Agility, quickly!” the boy said starting to panic. “Once you’re clear use Signal Beam!” Illumise nodded and rushed of as blur not a second too soon. The meteor rocketed through the area the fairy had been in a minute ago. Illumise stopped behind Metagross, and fired a rainbow into the sky. The rainbow shot upwards in straight line and then arced round and hurtled down toward Metagross. Sir looked on and Metagross started to move forwards out of the rainbow path. However, as soon as the rainbow reached Earth, it curved round and headed straight for Metagross.
“NO!” shouted Sir, his voice full of anger. The rainbow slammed into Metagross’ back and the monstrous Pokemon roared in pain as bug attacks were especially effective against it.
“Pin Missile!” cried the boy, urging his fairy Pokemon on. The fairy opened its mouth, and four needles shot out and slammed into Metagross. Most Pokemon could shrug them off, but being part Psychic, Metagross couldn’t take the pain of two consecutive bug attacks. Roaring in pain, anger, embarrassment, Metagross collapsed. Sir swore, while the boy cheered his bug Pokemon on.
“Return Metagross.” Sir looked up, “Simultaneous throw. No finding out who the other is using first.”
“Fine.” The boy said. “Return, Illumise and well done. Now then.” He took a purple and clear ball off his belt. I knew what that was. It was a Master Ball - the one ball incapable of failing to catch a Pokemon. Sir looked impressed.
“Go Salamence!” Sir cried throwing his dragon-containing Ultra Ball.
“Go Regice!” the boy cried throwing his Master Ball. The large blue dragon appeared from its Ultra ball and gave a mighty roar while across the clearing Regice appeared. Regice looked like nothing I’d ever seen before. Its body was made completely of ice, with two rock-like arms protruding from the side and two rock-like legs underneath. There was no mouth, only two pin-hole sized black eyes near the top of its ice body. The pressure was on. And the battle was about to begin and eventually end leaving one trainer victorious, the other shamed.
“Salamence, Dragon Claw!” Sir yelled. Salamence reared up spread its wings and launched itself at Regice. It unsheathed its front claws like a cat and swiped with both paws at Regice, dragon flames leaving marks where the claws scratched.
“Regice, use Ice Ball!” the boy said, smiling. Regice grabbed Salamence and flung him with tremendous strength into the ground before leaping into the air and rolling to the other side of the arena. It stopped and stood up, right in front of Sir. Regice turned to face Salamence and as it quickly conjured up a large ball of ice in each of its thick and chunky hands. It grunted and hurled both balls simultaneously at Salamence. Salamence, struggled, into the air on of the balls sailing harmlessly under it. The other however, smashed into his left wing. Salamence roared and collapsed onto the floor, standing on its four legs, its wings curled up. The dragon couldn’t fly with only one wing active, so the battle would be finished on the ground.
“Dragonbreath!”
“Superpower!” Salamence opened its mouth and green flames sparked and then streamed out at Regice. The massive ice Pokemon was hit but it didn’t look like any damage had been inflicted. Then Regice temporarily covered itself in yellow energy and when the energy disappeared lave, rocks and earth all erupted from the ground – directly underneath Salamence completely incapable of getting out of the way the attack slammed into the underbelly of the massive dragon, who roared painfully. Salamence was now breathing very heavily and I, as well as the two trainers new the battle was almost over.
“Salamence, use Thunder Wave!” Sir said, his face betraying no sign of any emotion. The boy laughed.
“Regice, Safeguard!” Salamence grunted and yellow waves of paralyzing electricity emerged from the tip of each of its head spikes. The electricity moved at an average speed toward Regice. The ice Pokemon however didn’t use Safeguard. Instead it glowed white. Large masses of energy were being released from its body and the white light grew even harsher.
“Salamence, abandon the plan and use HYPER BEAM!” Sir shouted the last two words as a dreadful noise was coming from the white light. The large blue dragon opened its mouth, and with great speed a large orange orb had been built up and as suddenly as it had built up, it was fired. Blink and you probably would have missed it. I wondered how it had built up such a powerful attack in such a short time seeing as it was almost finished. The Hyper Beam headed at high speed toward the white glow. However, just before the attack hit a tremendous BOOM was emitted from the light.
“TAKE COVER!” Sir yelled. And all the people in the clearing dived for cover in the bushes. A tremendous flash, another large explosion and the ground shook as orange flames engulfed almost the entire clearing. The Hyper Beam was deflected and hurled into a tree by the tremendous force. The flames engulfed Salamence and soon all that could be seen was white light, flames and all that could be heard was a loud ringing. After a couple of minutes, the white light subsided and the true destruction was viewed. The battle arena was now just a large crater. All the grass had been burned; about four trees had been knocked over and most of the bushes were ablaze. In the centre of the crater lay the fainted bodies of the two Pokemon.
“Return.” the trainer mumbled, recalling his Pokemon.
“You did well. Return.” said Sir, recalling the limp dragon. “What the hell did it use Explosion for? You told it to use Safeguard!” sir then said angrily, turning to face the boy. The boy remained silent for a while, lost in thought.
“I imagine Regice thought I meant to protect itself so it used Explosion. I guess I’ll have to train it in using Safeguard.” He said grinning.
“Is Regice, on of the three?” Sir asked him.
“What, along with Regirock and Registeel? Yes, that’s right.” The boy replied.
“Hmm,” Sir mumbled, “Ah well. I guess you’d better help put the fire out.” The boy grinned and looked around the clearing, where some trainers had released water Pokemon and were helping to put the fire out.
“Go Corsola!” the boy said, throwing a Great ball. A pink and white spiked Pokemon appeared and it immediately started trying to douse the flames with Water Gun.
“You should help as well you know.” Sir said to me. I nodded.
“Go Fish!” I threw his Great ball and the Relicanth appeared, “use Water Gun to try and douse the flames.” I said. Fish blinked and went over to help Corsola.
After a couple of minutes the fire was out.

~

A finger touched an area of a screen.
“He goes next.” said cold, raspy and emotionless voice. A black clothed figure nodded. “Yes. I would be wise to steal them as well.” The voice said. The black clothed figure shuddered. He always found the boss’ ‘abilities’ rather scary.
“Yes Master.” he said, and with a sweeping bow, he exited the room.

~

The stars glinted in the sky and the crescent moon cast an eerie glow over the scorched remains of the clearing in Yggdrassil forest. Mr. Mackenzie and I were sleeping on the grass the shadows all around making me nervous. I wasn’t scared of the dark; I was just worried that whatever happened to my parents was likely to happen to us while we slept unprotected on the grass. A faint snoring indicated that Sir was sleeping. I was just drifting of to sleep when a twig snapped. I sat bolt upright and stared wildly around, trying desperately to see whatever had made the noise. A black darted in front of me and I elbowed Sir in the arm to wake him up. He got up and groaned.
“What’s the big idea?” he said groggily.
“Someone‘s there.” I replied.
“So? It’s a public forest, a public clearing. What’s the matter with you child?” Suddenly a small object was thrown from the trees. It landed on the ground a small way in front of us. It exploded in a bright flash of light and smoke filled the clearing. Sir grabbed me and started to run.
“Smoke bombs!” he yelled. “Come on. We’ve got to get out of here! Someone is after us!”
“Who?” I asked, breaking free from his grip and running along next to him.
“Guess?” he said. We ran out of the clearing leaving the smoke behind us. I ran madly through the trees, wondering if Sir knew where he was going. Suddenly two small silver objects were thrown from the bushes at high velocity and slammed into an oak tree just in front of us. They were knives. Sir and I stopped dead in our tracks panting. Two more blades came smashing through the shrubbery. I was about to call out to Sir, but something hard knocked me on the back head and my vision went weird. Dark spots blurred my in front of my eyes and then everything went black.

The next morning I finally came to, with a painful lump on the back of my head. I tried to remember what had happened, but my head hurt too much for me to concentrate properly. I stood up and swayed to and fro. I leaned against a tree until I got my balance back. I looked round and took in my surroundings. I was in a forest somewhere, with a muddy and rocky floor. There were trees and bushes everywhere and the sun was blotted out by the tree tops. Flowers grew in certain places of the wood and wild Pokemon played in the trees. Then I saw a trail of blood and Sir’s carcass. I gasped, as my memory came back and I remembered the horrific events of last night. I shuddered just thinking about it. I looked back at Sir and fury consumed me. I kicked the trees until my feet hurt my but I was still extremely angry. I felt like a bottomless pit of anger, I was consumed by hatred and fury and then I remembered Sir’s story. It was very farfetched but it seemed like the only logical explanation to what had happened over the last couple of days. I stared up at the sky.
“I vow that from this day forth, I will train to grow strong and destroy those that have done this to me!” I screamed and collapsed in a heap on the floor, my anger being replaced by sorrow. I cried, my tears dampening the ground. I lay down, tears streaking my face, and fell into a nightmarish sleep.

Pig on the Wing
30th October 2003, 04:54 AM
unfortunately, my comps internet is really bugging up therefore the next few chapters may be a bit late for posting

I'm using a puloc library computer to post this BTW.

Pig on the Wing
3rd November 2003, 01:12 PM
ah....

the man from BT is coming to repair the internet tommorrow.....

righto then, tomorrow, Chapter 3 will be up

:D

Pig on the Wing
12th November 2003, 11:13 AM
Righty, took a while before I managed to get the 'net sorted out. But still, who am I to rant and rave....... Nevermind. Chapter 3 is here!

Chapter 3: Neil

I eventually woke up, screaming with sweat dripping from what seemed to be every pore in my body. My sleep had been filled with nightmares, so terrifying I can’t even relate to you what was in them. I just lay with my eyes wide open, panting and sweating. I coughed and rolled over, remembering the vow I had made earlier, I pushed myself up and looked around the forest. The light was already failing and I knew that I would rather be out of the forest and in the next town when I decided to go to sleep – that was if I decided to go to sleep, as it would probably be filled with nightmares again. I started walking without any knowledge of where I was going.
“Excuse me?” said a voice. A turned round to see a boy about my age standing there. He had brown eyes, black hair and a cap on backwards. He had an Eevee walking next him. The brown and white dog, turned it big black eyes to me and stared, making me feel uncomfortable.
“Yes?” I replied.
“Do have Pokemon?” I nodded, “Would ya like to battle me?” I nodded again and took Feline’s Poke ball out of my pocket. The boy then took a stick of white chalk out of his pocket and promptly set himself to marking out a small arena.
“Go Eevee!” he said pointing, and his Eevee ran out into the arena.
“Gallow!” a voice suddenly called. The boy turned round and I looked where he was looking. A girl with green eyes and blonde hair came jogging up to him. She looked well exercised, and was pretty in my eyes. “What are you doing?” she looked at the arena, and then at me. “Oh.” she said, “A battle.”
“Sorry about that.” the boy named Gallow said, “This is my twin sister Thorn. Thorn this is – um,”
“Angus.” I said quickly.
“Hello Angus.” she said. “Do you have more than one Pokemon?” she smiled when I nodded. “Good. Then I’m joining in this battle.” I gulped. I never even knew that two trainers could battle at the same time.
“Go, Eye!” I called, throwing Baltoy’s Great ball. “Go Feline!” I threw her Poke ball.
“Go Ditto!” Thorn said, throwing a Great ball. A pink blobby thing appeared. “Ditto, Transform!” Ditto glowed white, then changed into a Baltoy, which was the Pokemon nearest it. “Attack that thing!” Thorn then called out to her Ditto.
“Eye, just do whatever Ditto does. Feline, use Faint Attack!” Baltoy and Ditto started trading blow for blow and I decided to concentrate on the Feline vs. Eevee battle. Feline split into three - two of them fake – and disappeared, reappearing behind Eevee. All three Feline’s then rushed at Eevee, the two fake ones disappearing as the real one slammed into it. Eevee squealed and turned round, biting Feline as she did. Now it was Feline’s turn to squeal.
“Feline!” I called out.
“Eevee!” Gallow called out.
“Headbutt!” we both said simultaneously. The dog and the cat Pokemon, stared each other down, before both of the lowered their heads and charged at each other. However, just before they collided, Eevee leapt over Feline and then turned and charged again. Feline skidded to a standstill and turned round to be slammed into by Eevee. Feline was hurled upwards, and slammed into the ground – on top of Baltoy! Baltoy, then glowed white, and turned back into a pink blob before promptly fainting.
“No fair!” Thorn said recalling her Ditto. “Thanks a lot, Gallow.” Gallow grinned apologetically,
“Sorry sis.” he said. Thorn then stormed up to him, and slapped him clean across the face.
“Never interfere in my Pokemon battles!” she said, very angrily, “and most importantly, NEVER CALL ME SIS!” she yelled.
“Sorry, Thorn.” said Gallow, his slapped cheek boasting a red hand mark. She rolled her eyes and looked at me,
“He is such a jerk!” she said, before turning round and walking off. Eevee trotted over to Gallow, and jumped onto his shoulder.
“You know, you should really let that Skitty walk around with you. Pokemon that resemble cats or dogs should really walk around with the trainer.”
“Thanks for the tip.” I said, recalling Eye, and letting Feline sit upon my shoulder like Gallow’s Eevee.
“So where you headed Angus?” Gallow asked me as we started walking.
“Urdr Town.” I replied. “You?”
“Same. Wanna come with us?”
“Sure.” I smiled, “I could use a guide, and I’m completely lost.”
“Well, how long you been a trainer?” he asked.
“About a year now.” I lied. “Haven’t collected any badges, just trained with my Pokemon and tried to capture a couple.” Gallow smiled.
“I’ve only been a trainer for about two months. Got my Eevee here, a Pokedex, Pokenav and Pokegear. Shame they stopped handing out Poke balls, ‘cause I could really have used a couple a few days ago.”
“Why?” I asked.
“This.” he said, pulling a small rectangular device from his pocket.
<Please insert access code:> appeared on the front. Gallow punched in four numbers, and the number pad and screen disappeared and the rectangle folded itself over to reveal a full mini-computer keyboard and a small screen. Gallow typed in ‘Dragonair’ and the image of a long blue snake with a white underbelly appeared. The snake had two blue balls balanced on top of each other at the end of the body, marking out the tail. It also had one blue ball underneath its chin, a horn protruding from the top of its head and two large white ears that vaguely resembled a pair of small white wings. It had a mouth that couldn’t be seen unless you showed the Pokemon at a certain angle and it had two large black eyes. Gallow then pressed info.

<Pokedex Info
Name: Dragonair
Type: Dragon
Good against: Dragon
Fights Badly Against: Ice – Dragon
Immunities: N/A
Evolution chain: Dratini – Dragonair – Dragonite
Info: Dragonair is a mystical Pokemon that was the ability to change the weather. The three blue balls on its body change colour depending on what condition this Pokemon is going to make the weather.>

“You fought one of those? I’ve never heard of it before.” I said, astounded.
“Hmm. We came from Kanto you see. The Hoenn League was mastered by our dad, the Jhoto League by my mum, and my older brother left last year to conquer the Kanto league. So as soon as we received our Pokemon, we decided to come here.”
“This place is harder than the others you know.” I told him.
“Yeah,” he said, “Don’t tell Thorn I told you this, but she’s actually a really weak trainer. She’s got three Pokemon, and Eevee can beat all three of them without needing to be healed.” I raised my eyebrows.
“What’s she got then?”
“Ditto, Phanphy and Taillow.”
“Phanphy?”
“Ground type found exclusively in Jhoto. Mum brought one back as present for her. Dad gave her a Poke ball which she used yesterday to catch Taillow and Ditto was her starter.”
“I thought Kanto started with Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charmander?”
“It did.” he said, ruffling Eevee’s head, “but people got bored of the same thing, year after year so Oak decided to hand out Eevee, Ditto and Abra. Two normal types and a psychic type. He said that seemed fair, no type advantages or disadvantages over the others.”
“Hmm.” I said, thinking about the next town. “I think I might challenge the Gym.” I said out of the blue.
“Well duh. I was going to do that as well. Thorn’ll probably train her team as usual.”
“Well, she can fall behind if she wants to.” I said grinning.
“Yeah,” he agreed, “She’s too weak to keep with us, so she’ll definitely fall behind.”
“DON’T YOU DARE MAKE FUN OF ME!” a voice yelled, and Thorn came running out of the bushes in front of us.
“We’d better run if we want to get out of this forest in one piece!” called Gallow as he pushed me out of her way and started running himself. I caught up with him and he was struggling to breath as he was running and laughing at the same time.
“What’s so funny?” I asked.
“She-she is. The-the way she-she gets angry all-all the-the time-time. It re-really cracks me-me up!” he panted. He stopped running and leaned against a tree, panting.
“That’s not so funny.” I said standing next to him, “But is she always like that?” he nodded vigorously.
“You should see her when she gets really angry. That’s something to be scared of.”
“I’ll pass thanks.” I replied, grinning. Gallow pulled back the sleeve of his blue jumper to reveal a very fancy looking watch. He pressed a button and the time faded to be replaced by a map, which said ‘Current Region: Askar’. Gallow pushed a few more buttons until the map read ‘Yggdrassil Forest’ in the top right, and a red blip indicated where he was.
“Hmm.” he said, “Only about a mile to gatehouse exit. May as well set up camp.” He pressed a button on his watch, and the time replaced the map. Gallow swung his pack of his shoulders and took out a sleeping bag and pillow. He unfurled the sleeping bag propped the pillow up against the tree he was leaning on, then lay down inside the sleeping bag, teasing Eevee with a Pokeblock he’d taken out of his pocket. I went off looking for some soft grass and when I found some, I asked Feline to get a large smooth rock that I could use as a pillow.
“Here.” said Gallow suddenly, throwing a blanket in my direction. “Use it for tonight. I’ve got a sleeping bag so I don’t need it.”
“Thanks I said smiling. When Feline returned, and started pulling my sleeve with her teeth. I stood up, and she nodded in a direction before running that way. I guessed that she wanted me to follow, so I did. Feline led me to a very smooth rock that was too big for her to push. I stroked her head, and she squealed happily. I picked up the rock and followed her back. When I got back, I noticed that Thorn was there, in her sleeping bag, and Gallow was starting fire in the middle of the three beds. I put my pillow rock down and lay down, with the blanket covering me. The blanket was blue, and had Pikachu’s all over it.
“Gallow,” I asked, “what was that watch thing you used earlier?”
“Pokegear.” he said, “Watch, radio, map and phone – all in one.”
“Ah.” I said, drawing a bit closer to the fire.
“Angus, you owe me a battle.” Thorn said. “First thing tomorrow, you and I are going to see who the better trainer of the two of us is.”
“Angus is by far.” muttered Gallow. This time, instead of a slap round the face, Gallow received a fistful of pebbles and mud thrown at his head. He apologized and then said he was going to do some training.
“Wanna come?” he asked me.
“Sure, why not.” I got up and followed him to where a small cluster of pine trees were.
“Come on.” he said, “Me versus you. Eevee vs. Skitty right here, right now. No interference.” Eevee jumped from his shoulder onto the ground and growled at Feline. Feline jumped from my shoulder and growled back at Eevee. I stepped back.
“I guess that means I’m battling you.” I said. He grinned.
“Eevee, Headbutt!”
“Feline, Tackle!” The two Pokemon ran at each other Eevee with her head down and Feline preparing to jump. Eevee picked the speed and Feline leapt at Eevee and turned its body sideways. Eevee’s head collided with Feline’s body and both Pokemon were thrown back.
“Eevee, try a Bite!”
“Feline, Scratch!” Feline unsheathed her claws and prepared to strike while Eevee bared her teeth but noticing the claws, kept her distance. Gallow must have noticed the claws as well because he called,
“Eevee, use Mimic.” Eevee then glowed orange, and red and blue beams shot out of Feline and into Eevee. When Eevee stopped glowing, Gallow said, “Good one. Now use Scratch.”
“Feline, use a Wild Cat Pounce!” I said. I had taught Skitty this attack in the yard against a stray Wurmple. Feline leapt into the air, curling into a ball as she did so. Feline spun round in the air three times, before straightening out her body and lunging towards Eevee, her claws unsheathed ready to scratch and teeth bared ready to bite. Eevee stood there helplessly.
“Eevee, get out the way!” Gallow cried, but Eevee sat there, paralyzed with wonder, amazement and fear. Then Feline was upon her, scratching and biting. Eevee struggled, but the momentum of the spins and the jump gave Feline the upper hand. The scratches and bites eventually took their toll, and Eevee just slumped down.
“Feline, finish it with Faint Attack!” Feline split into three and disappeared from where she was, reappearing behind Eevee. She then ran into Eevee, the two fake Feline’s disappearing as she did. Eevee fainted and Gallow picked her up.
“Why don’t you recall here with her Poke ball?” I asked him as we walked back to our makeshift campsite. Gallow didn’t answer, but slapped his forehead. He then took out Eevee’s Poke ball and recalled her. When we reached the campsite, Thorn immediately asked,
“Where’s Eevee?” Gallow showed her Eevee’s Poke ball.
“His Skitty won.” he said glumly. Thorn looked up at me and smiled.
“Good one.” she said, “He’s always been going round boasting that his Eevee’s the strongest Pokemon he’ll ever fight. Oh, and if you can beat him, then our battles off for tomorrow.”
“Ok.” I said, lying down on the grass, and covering myself with Gallow’s spare blanket.
“Goodnight you two.” said Thorn, lying down and closing her eyes.
“So,” Gallow said to me, “You got any other Pokemon apart from Skitty and that other one?”
“That ‘other one’ is a Baltoy.” I told him, “And yes, I do have another Pokemon.”
“Which is?”
“A Relicanth.”
“A what?” I sighed and threw Fish’s Great ball.
“A Relicanth.” I said again, “This fish Pokemon.” I indicated Fish and Gallow nodded.
“What did you nickname it?” he asked.
“Nickname?” I echoed, the question striking me as odd.
“Yeah.” he said, “Like you called that Skitty, Feline and that Baltoy thing you called Eye.”
“Oh.” I said, “I called it Fish.”
“Original.” he said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. “Right, I’m off to bed. Night.”
“Night.” I replied. I then recalled Fish and Feline and closed my eyes. After a while, I drifted off into a surprisingly dreamless sleep.

~

“Shall I boss?” a black clothed figure asked.
“No.” a voice said bluntly.
“Why?” the black clothed man spoke again. The other man stood and chuckled evilly. The black clothed man saw a glint of silver, and then he was dead.
“Never question my actions.” the man said, before returning to his chair.

~

I woke up to the sound of Taillow chattering in the treetops. I sat up, and rubbed my eyes looking around the small campsite. I saw Gallow’s Eevee battling a seagull.
“Morning!” Thorn said brightly, looking over in my direction.
“Morning,” I replied, yawning. I pointed at Gallow, “What’s he doin’?” I asked.
“A flock of wild Wingull flew over here this morning while you were still sleeping. He’s trying to catch one.”
“How did his Eevee recover? Where did he get a Poke ball from?” I asked.
“Oh. He got up early this morning, before the Wingull came and walked through the forest until he got to Urdr Town. He healed Eevee at the Pokemon Centre and blew all his money on Poke balls.” she smiled, “He’s still upset about losing to you yesterday.”
“YES!” Gallow suddenly shouted. He turned round to show us a Poke ball, “I caught a Wingull!” he said triumphantly. Then he looked at his Pokegear. “Come on you two.” he said, “It’s already 8:30 and you have to pay for breakfast in the Pokemon Centre after 9:30! It takes roughly about an hour to get Urdr town from here.” he ran back to where we were camping and grabbed his pack.
“Gallow, here’s your spare blanket.” I said, handing it to him.
“Just dump it.” he said, “I don’t want it or need it.” I dropped it on the ground and stood up, quickly checking I had all three Pokemon before setting off through the forest with Thorn and Gallow.
“I’m fighting the Gym leader first!” Gallow said and Eevee barked happily at his feet. I released Feline, and told her that she would probably walk around with me. She meowed happily and she and Eevee started pushing each other playfully.

After about 50 minutes of walking, the gatehouse came into view. It took us five minutes to get to the gatehouse. Thorn walked over to one of the chairs and slumped into it.
“I’m knackered.” she groaned, “Let me rest a while before we carry on.”
“Hey Angus,” Gallow said, completely ignoring her, “I’ll give you a battle, my Wingull against your Relicanth.”
“Ok.” I said, “Fish needs some experience. Go!” I threw Fish’s Great ball.
“Come on, Wingull!” said Gallow, throwing a Poke ball. “Water Gun!” Wingull opened its beak and a jet of water came rocketing from it. It slammed into Fish who groaned. I looked at Wingull to study it closely. It was basically a seagull. The only difference was that where seagulls had grew patches, Wingull had blue ones. I assumed it was a Water type seeing as it had used Water Gun.
“Fish, use an attack that isn’t water based.” I said. Fish flopped about a bit, and then threw itself at Wingull side on. It slammed its rocky surface into Wingull and the boor bird shrieked in pain.
“Wingull, Gust!” Gallow called. Wingull spread its wings and hovered in the air before flapping its wings rapidly. A strong wind suddenly struck up and Fish was caught up in the gale and hurled back into the wall leaving a massive dent.
“Fish!” I cried out. Relicanth flopped upright and stared at Wingull angrily. Fish then closed its eyes and opened its mouth in a silent scream. A load rocks appeared out of nowhere and trapped Wingull. They then slammed into one another, crushing Wingull in the process.
“Hurry, Water Gun” Gallow called on in despair. Wingull fired another jet of water at Fish and both Pokemon fainted.
“Return.” I said, recalling Fish to his Great ball.
“Return.” Gallow said, recalling his Wingull to its Poke ball. He then looked at his Pokegear, “Oh my God... guys, its 9:27! We’ve got three minutes to make a 5 minute journey!” Thorn got up and the three of us started running. We got to the Pokemon Centre at exactly 9:30.
“I suppose it’ll be ok.” said Nurse Joy. “The Café is just down the corridor, second door on the right.”
“Thank you.” said Gallow, before the three of us walked down the corridor and entered the Café. There was a large buffet table in the middle of the room and Gallow ran over to it, piling his plate high with everything there was. Thorn filled her plate with salad. I had a full English breakfast.

“That was good!” said Gallow contently. We were sitting in the lobby waiting for Nurse Joy to finish checking our Pokemon.
“Pig.” Thorn muttered.
“Right! As soon as we get our Pokemon back, I’m fighting the Gym leader!” Gallow said, ignoring his sister’s comment.
“Here you go.” said Nurse Joy handing the three of us our Pokemon. We recalled them all except Eevee and Feline who ran around happily. “I healed them all and during the check-up, I didn’t find any problems. Oh, it’s market day today and tomorrow so the Poke Mart will be closed.”
“Thank you!” said Gallow, “Come on guys, let’s go to the Gym where I can get me a badge!” Gallow was practically bouncing off the walls with excitement.
“I’m going to the market.” I said, “I’m going to buy a Pokedex, Pokegear and some Poke balls.”
“I’m coming too” said Thorn, “Better to be around non-hyperactive people than hyperactive people.”
“I’m coming as well!” Gallow said, and so the three of us all headed toward the centre of town where the market was. As we walked, I looked around the town. There was a large cluster of stalls and people obviously where the market was being held. There were lots of houses, a Pokemon Gym, Pokemon Centre and Pokemon Mart. There was also a very large skyscraper near the edge of town, but its windows were tinted black and it was impossible to see inside.
“All meet outside the Gym in half an hour.” Thorn said when we got to the market and then she walked off toward the Poke Doll store.
“Are you coming with me or her?” I asked Gallow.
“You I suppose.” he replied. He seemed to calming down a bit now he was around lots of other people. I walked off to the Pokemon Equipment store and he followed me. I looked round the shop at all the different things. I decided to buy a green pack, a green sleeping bag, a blue pillow, a Pokedex, a Pokegear, 15 Poke balls and a Poke ball belt.
“That’ll be 2 thousand jaots.” the man at the counter said, and I handed him my banker card. He swiped it through the machine and his eyes widened when my details came up on the screen. “So,” he said, “You’re the son of the Mackenzie folk. Yo best keep a low profile hereabouts.”
“Why?” I asked.
“Police are after you. Accusing you of murdering your family and then running off. Course, I won’t do you in.” he said smiling. I thanked him and walked out of the shop. I’d bought everything I wanted at the moment, and wondered if Gallow wanted anything. He shook his head when I asked, so we headed toward the Gym, to wait for Thorn. I set up my Pokedex and Pokegear, clipped my Poke balls onto the belt and packed my things away. Just then Thorn came down the path.
“I see you bought a lot of things.” she said to me. I smiled and nodded.
“Come on come on come on!” said Gallow, his hyperactivity coming back. The three of us walked into the Gym. The darkness swamped us, and when the door shut behind we all jumped. The Gym was pitch black. Suddenly four lights came on. One light indicated a bench, two lights indicated the two trainer boxes and the last light was in the middle of the arena. Thorn and I started to walk towards the bench but Gallow ran in front of us,
“One of you two can battle first actually.” he said. He then ran and sat down on the bench.
I sighed. “I guess I will.” I turned round and walked to the green trainer box. A tall man with long black hair, and blue eyes was standing on top in the blue trainer box. Suddenly the Gym was filled with light as overhead flickered and came on.
“My name is Woden and I’m the Gym leader here.” he said in a deep voice, “This battle will be one-on-one. Begin.” he threw an Ultra ball and I waited to see emerged. A medium size Pokemon that was human shaped emerged. It was purple with large circular sky blue eyes.
<Say!> it cried, and I took out my new Pokedex.

<Pokedex Info
Name: Sableye
Type: Dark/Ghost
Good Against: Psychic – Ghost
Fights Badly Against: N/A
Immunities: Normal – Fighting – Psychic
Evolution Chain: N/A
Info: Sableye does not evolve and yet is still a very formidable foe. It is ‘super effective’ against two types, has three type immunities and nothing is ‘super effective’ against it. If you’re fighting a Sableye then approach with care as it can be very evil and it’s highly versatile move wise.>

I thought carefully about which one of Pokemon would battle. Feline was out of it as was Baltoy. I sighed there was only one thing for it.
“Fish, let’s win this!” I called throwing his Great ball. The rock fish appeared with a cry and turned to face its opponent.
“Sableye, finish this now. Use a Thunderbolt.” Sableye smiled and its eyes turned golden. Electricity sparked round its body and Sableye began to take control.
“Fish, hurry and use Rock Tomb!” I called, glad that I had checked my team’s moves last night. Fish closed its eyes and opened its mouth. Rocks appeared out of nowhere and surrounded Sableye.
“Now!” called Woden. Sableye held both of its arms out and the electricity was fired at Fish. Fish moaned when the Thunderbolt struck, and I stared on, helpless to do anything. However, the rocks that Fish had conjured up started repeatedly slamming into the purple Pokemon. Sableye screamed every time they crashed into it, but it also increased the power of its Thunderbolt. Suddenly Fish gave out one last moan, and the rocks disappeared, with Fish landed with thud on the floor. Woden looked at me.
“I won.” he said simply. He then looked at Gallow and Thorn, “Any of you two going to fight me?” he asked, and Thorn shook her head. Gallow however stood up clearly accepting the challenge.
“Return.” I said glumly, recalling Fish to his Great ball. “Good luck.” I said to Gallow on the way out. Woden called over to Gallow,
“Same rules as when I fought him. I’m staying with Sableye. Oh,” he paused, “and could this battle please last a little longer?” he looked at me to see the affect it had on me but I just ignored him and sat on the bench next to Thorn.
“Hard luck.” she said.
“Thanks.” I muttered sarcastically. I looked up at the arena where Eevee was facing of against Sableye.
“He’s crazy.” Thorn said to me, “He’s so badly going to lose this.”
“We’ll see.” I muttered, wondering what surprises Gallow had up his sleeve.
“Begin!” shouted Woden. “Sableye, use Ice Beam!” Sableye cupped both hands and a small white orb appeared and began to grow. When it was of a considerable size, Sableye held it up and fired.
“Agility!” Gallow called out. Eevee raced off at such speed that it became a blur. Sableye aimed the Ice Beam wherever it saw a blur but missed every time.
“Sableye, Foresight!” Woden said, realizing he wasn’t going to hit with anything. Sableye’s eyes glowed red and everything it saw was in thermal vision and slow motion. “Shadow Ball!” Woden said once Sableye had fully charged up Foresight. The ghost Pokemon cupped it hands again, only this time it was a black orb. It grew to about the size of a large football then it threw it. Thanks to Foresight the Shadow Ball slammed into the side of Eevee. The little dog squealed in surprise and also pain, as it was thrown of its feet and slammed into the side of the arena. The glass cracked but surprisingly didn’t break.
“Come on Gallow!” I shouted, and Thorn looked at me with a confused expression on her face. “He needs our support.” I told her. She nodded and gave Gallow a thumbs-up sign.
“Come on Eevee! You can do it!” Gallow urged. “That’s all we’ve been waiting for. Use Mimic now!” Eevee struggled to her feet and glowed orange. Red and blue beams shot from Sableye and into Eevee.
“Shadow Ball again!” Woden said, beginning to panic.
“Eevee use Agility, but charge up an Ice Beam as you go and when you’re ready fire it but continue running,” Eevee blinked, taking it all in, then noticing that another Shadow Ball was racing toward her, she dashed off becoming a blur again. The Shadow Ball however, connected with the glass and it shattered completely. The attack then slammed into the wall of the Gym, causing a large dent before fading. Eevee was now running round the arena, firing Ice Beams left, right and centre. One of the Ice Beams connected with on of Sableye’s arms. It instantly froze and Woden cursed under his breath. Eevee then managed to freeze both of its legs.
“He’s gonna win!” screamed Thorn, throwing her hands triumphantly into the air. I wasn’t so sure, but I didn’t say anything. Eevee had stopped for a rest now and Woden didn’t look like he was going to take any chances.
“Sableye, Shadow Split.” Woden said, smiling for some reason. Sableye split into three but the two fake Sableye’s suddenly hardened and became very real. They two cloned Sableye’s were exactly the same as the original, with one difference - they didn’t have a frozen arm and two frozen legs.
“Eevee, brace yourself for whatever they’re going to do!” Gallow called out, and panting, Eevee looked up.
“Sableye 1, use Hypnosis!” The half frozen Sableye started emitting psychic waves from its head. The waves crossed the stadium and when they reached Eevee she perked up her ears and instantly fell asleep. Woden smiled, “Sableye 2, power up a Shadow Ball!” One of the cloned Sableye, held its hands high above it head and instantly a Shadow Ball three times larger than the one used by the original was there.
“Eevee, wake up!” pleaded Gallow, but the dog remained asleep. Woden grinned wickedly.
“Sableye 3, use Shadow Pull!” the other cloned Sableye concentrated and Eevee and the clone both glowed black, then Eevee started moving rapidly toward the Sableye. It stopped moving just in front of the Sableye which was glowing black.
“Eevee, come on!” shouted Gallow, and suddenly the dogs eyes opened and it whimpered in fear.
“Now!” called Woden, and one of the Sableye clones threw the massive Shadow Ball at Eevee. The ball exploded on impact and immediately a cloud of dust was thrown up around the battle field. It took several tense seconds before the dust finally settled. In the middle of the arena was the half-frozen Sableye panting, and just a short way in front of it, was the fainted form of Gallow’s Eevee.
“Eevee!” called Gallow, leaping from the trainer box and into the arena he was half way toward Eevee, when Woden spoke,
“Get back!” he cried, “Let the battle continue!” Gallow stared up at him,
“Are you crazy?” he said, “Who’s your Sableye fighting?”
“Eevee.” replied Woden, shrugging his shoulders. Gallow moved his eyes from the towering shape of Woden to his Eevee. The small dog was struggling back to its feet.
“So?” said Gallow angrily, “It may still be conscious but it’s in no condition to fight!”
“But does it want to fight?” Woden asked. Gallow looked at his Pokemon, and saw the determination in its face. Gallow glanced up at Woden before turning and running back to the ladder which led up to the trainer box. Woden smiled.
“Eevee, come on. You can do it!” Gallow urged.
“Sableye, Shadow Ball!” Woden said confidently.
“Reflect Eevee, come on!” Gallow called out and his Pokemon created a rectangular almost invisible barrier in front of it. Sableye had created a Shadow Ball with surprising speed and launched it. It crashed into the barrier, cracking it but not shattering it.
“Come on Sableye! Try another Shadow Ball!” Woden called, and the purple Pokemon was almost instantly throwing a ball of seething black mass toward Eevee, the small dog stared on in amazement, wondering how Sableye had created it so quickly. Again, the attack cracked the barrier slightly more, put it still didn’t shatter.
“Eevee, launch that barrier!” Gallow suddenly called, an idea forming in his brain. Eevee glowed orange and the barrier fired itself at high speed toward Sableye. The half-frozen Sableye screamed and then the barrier struck causing it a lot of pain.
“Sableye!” cried Woden.
“Eevee, Shadow Ball!” Gallow cried, sensing victory was near while Woden looked grimly upon the battlefield. Woden then unexpectedly smiled.
“Sableye, Shadow Ball!” Sableye groaned and tried to focus. In a flash Sableye had created another Shadow Ball and smiled menacingly before hurling it at Eevee. Eevee however fired its own Shadow Ball and the two attacks crossed in mid-air. Sableye looked at the oncoming Shadow Ball but because of its frozen state couldn’t move and stared fearfully at the oncoming attack. Eevee stared at the attack also, but didn’t move because of exhaustion. The two attacks struck the two Pokemon simultaneously and their screams echoed round the Gym. The two attacks exploded and smoke engulfed the entire arena. Nothing could be seen and Gallow could be heard calling out support to Eevee. The smoke cleared after a minute or two and Woden and Gallow tensely awaited the outcome of the battle. Sableye was on the ground, the glass behind it cracked. It was similar with Eevee. Woden sighed.
“In accordance with the rules I must declare a tie and therefore another battle will have to -” Woden cut off as his Sableye struggled to its feet. Gallow glanced over at Eevee, but it didn’t move. Gallow sighed.
“Return.” he said glumly, recalling his Eevee.
“Well, I guess that means I win.” said Woden, a smile replacing the confused look on his face. Gallow walked over to Thorn and I.
“You goin’ to battle?” Gallow asked, looking at his sister. She shook her head.
I stood up, “I’m going to train just outside town.” I said, “Coming?” Gallow nodded and Thorn stood up and stretched before also nodding.

We were walking around outside Urdr Town looking through rivers, grass and trees for Pokemon when a man wearing black clothes walked up the path. He had a bag and stopped when he reached us.
“Yes?” Thorn asked him narrowing her eyes.
“You a trainer?” the man asked and Thorn nodded. “Come on then, let’s battle! Go Torkoal!” he threw a Great ball and a large red tortoise with a brown shell appeared. I took out my Pokedex.

<Pokedex Info:
Name: Torkoal
Type: Fire
Good Against: Grass – Bug – Ice – Steel
Fights Badly Against: Ground – Rock – Water
Immunities: N/A
Evolution Chain: N/A
Info: Torkoal is a very powerful newly discovered Fire type. It has the same qualities as a tortoise but can run at great speed if necessary. The flames it attacks with are very deadly and its shell cannot be penetrated by anything.>

Thorn took out a Poke ball and threw it,
“Go Phanphy!” she said and a small light blue elephant with red markings on its ears appeared and faced the tortoise.
“Flamethrower.” the man said and the Torkoal opened its mouth. A jet of flames streamed from its mouth and were upon Phanphy before it had time to blink. The elephant dropped to its knees with black burn marks all over it but got back up again immediately. It squeaked angrily from its little trunk and stamped the ground.
“Torkoal, Body Slam!” the man said.
“Phanphy, Earthquake!” Torkoal started racing toward Phanphy with surprising speed for a tortoise but the little elephant squeaked some more before lifting its feet and stamping hard on the ground. The earth started shaking and Torkoal stopped dead in its tracks and withdrew into its shell. Columns of mud erupted from underneath Torkoal but it remained safe under its shell. When the shaking stopped, Torkoal emerged from its shell and continued its charge towards Phanphy.
“Dodge it!” Thorn called and Phanphy jumped out of the way just in time. The elephant leapt to the side and Torkoal skidded to a halt before turning and charging back toward Phanphy. Phanphy however swung its trunk menacingly and as soon as Torkoal got near, Phanphy sidestepped and slammed its powerful trunk into the turtle, who was sent flying, and slammed into the ground right near me. The man looked over and his eyes bulged. In one swift movement he had recalled his Torkoal and was kneeling down in front of me.
“I never thought I’d see you again,” he breathed, “It’s been so long hasn’t it – Master Neil.”