PDA

View Full Version : Is Roy a character in the new American Version Of "Fire Emblem" for the GBA?

acethetyphlosion
28th October 2003, 06:08 PM
(For those of you who donīt know, Fire Emblem is the series of popular Nintendo games unreleased in the USA where Marth and Roy both came from. Marth is a staple hero in the saga, but Japan was introduced in 2002 to Roy (so SSBM was his first game)).

The screenshots and artwork I have seen for the first American instalation of the Fire Emblem series sometimes feature a guy that looks a lot like Roy (heīs a little bit taller, but thatīs natural in the Anime-like way he was drawn in.)

I would like to believe this is Roy, but the game is supposed to be a port of the seventh game of the series, which according to Nintendo "is on the 8-bit glory", while Roy was introduced in Japan in 2002.

Is anyone a fan of the series? Can you tell me absolutely anything, specially about the game that first featured Roy in Japan?

Go to Nintendo.com and search "Fire Emblem" and see if you can get to its data page.

Maybe Nintendo changed a particular character to Roy so it would appeal to the western masses.

Also, on a separate note, there arenīt really any games that work exclusively(sp?) on GBA SP, right? Because Nintendo shouldnīt do that when its previous incarnation (Regular GBA) isnīt even 2.5 years old.

Thanks In Advance (Advance, heheh, see how that works? Nevermind).

Strider
28th October 2003, 08:40 PM
The character you see there is not Roy, but in fact his father (can't remember the name at the moment).

This game occurs before the events of Sword of Seals, where Roy makes his apperance, respectively.

For Sword of Seals, I'm not too familair of what happens there. I would think the plot follows what is mentioned in Roy's profile in SSBM, but again, I'm not entirely sure.

And lastly, I don't think there are any games that work exclusively on the GBA SP... I mean, the SP and the classic GBA are pretty much the same, sans the size, the rechargable battery, and the side lighted screen. But I digress.

Anyways... *hopes this FE does well so other FEs will follow*

Starry Might
29th October 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Strider
The character you see there is not Roy, but in fact his father (can't remember the name at the moment).
"Eliwood" is the name of the person in question. :yes:

Anyway, I actually thought that Eliwood was Roy, too...until I looked up info on "Fire Emblem" online one day.

It's an honest mistake, since the characters look quite similar (and since Eliwood is Roy's dad - something I did not know until now - the resemblance makes perfect sense :)), so to anybody who thought Eliwood was Roy until now shouldn't feel dumb as a result. ;)

acethetyphlosion
29th October 2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Strider
This game occurs before the events of Sword of Seals, where Roy makes his apperance, respectively.

For Sword of Seals, I'm not too familair of what happens there. I would think the plot follows what is mentioned in Roy's profile in SSBM, but again, I'm not entirely sure.

Ok. That means Nintendo chose to kill Eliwood, since Royīs father dying condition is supposedly what makes Roy go into battle instead of him.

And lastly, I don't think there are any games that work exclusively on the GBA SP... I mean, the SP and the classic GBA are pretty much the same, sans the size, the rechargable battery, and the side lighted screen. But I digress.

Digress on what? BTW, I was asking because Nintendo seems to have replaced the little symbol that represents that a game is playable on the GBA to a little GBA SP.

Originally posted by Starry Might
It's an honest mistake, since the characters look quite similar (and since Eliwood is Roy's dad - something I did not know until now - the resemblance makes perfect sense :)), so to anybody who thought Eliwood was Roy until now shouldn't feel dumb as a result. ;)

Yes, but the resemblance is disturbingly huge.

woz
5th November 2003, 07:02 PM
i just started playing this game yesterday. it's interesting so far, although a little boring at times.