PDA

View Full Version : Dual Type Attacks

Metal Claw
30th December 2002, 11:50 AM
I know that Ruby/Sapphire didn't do this...

But wouldn't it have been cool, that during two on two battles- two pokemon could have a "team-move", a sort of dual type attack?

For example, if Samehadaa and Electrode were on the same team they could use "Hydro-Thunder" or something, but it would be effective to anything weak to electric and water attacks....

Or there could be Meteor Shower(Rock&Fire), Solar Flare(Grass&Fire),PsyShock(Psychic&Electric), Dark Force(Dark&Fighting)...
You get the point...As long as the moves weren't overbearingly powerful, these could be cool attacks couldn't they?

Cyber Dragon
30th December 2002, 11:56 AM
It would be good if that were to happen. We're not fully into 2 VS 2... who knows?

If we delve further into this new 2Vs2 I bet there will be teams based around it :P There are some obvious hints of certain 2 VS 2 PKMN out there... like that PLUS and MINUS Pokemon.

I do know for a fact that the 'Pikachu-like' Pokemon with the '+' and '-' on them benefit from each other. Their characteristic says that the PKMN opposite of '+' or '-' will get stronger if '+' has '-' there, and when '-' has '+' there. Are these two the battery pokemon or something?

This could be while both are out at the same time on the field, or if one is in your roster while the other is out battling by itself in 1 player battles (Not really sure... just making up things)

rinku
30th December 2002, 04:14 PM
Purusuru and Mainan (the +/- electrics) do have a move that translates as "helper" or some such. It seems to work to boost the other team-mate - I've only seen it in one of the 2/2 trainer battles so far. One uses "helper" and the other one gets stoked.

A couple of the abilities seem to be only useful in 2/2 battles - "Lightning Rod" for example would seem to only be good to protect a fellow team-mate that was vulnerable to electrical attacks. And Purusuru and Mainan have abilities that boost both if they are used together (one of each).

Metal Claw
30th December 2002, 08:37 PM
Since I already brought it up...

Can anyone think of some cool dual-type attacks...like the ones I listed...

How about Heat-Wave (A Fire-Water move....don't know if that'd be useful....), or Acid-Rain?(Poison-Water)

Can anybody think of any others?

pokecenter
30th December 2002, 11:20 PM
you got a good point, duel type move should be really cool... I thought about this before, too. I believe if there is any more pokemon game in the future, there wil be a duel type moves
the defense will be the major issue in the battle if there are duel type moves... for example, if there are really a move called "Hydro-Thunder", then it will be very easy to kill a Moltres or a Ho-oh!:)

Metal Claw
31st December 2002, 11:19 AM
You bring up a good point there pokecenter...

Defense would be the key, OR the dual type attack could only be effective if the opposing pokemon was hurt by one on type super-effectively but the other type adequately....That sounds confusing so here's an example...

If Lanturn uses hydro-thunder (perfect pokemon for the move:D ) against Tyranitar it would work, because water is super-effective against Tyranitar, and electric does normal damage to Tyranitar.

That would make it interesting and for strategists, either that or your point will be 100% correct...we'd find a LOT of OHKO'd Moltres's and Ho-Oh's out there....

Red Angel
31st December 2002, 01:46 PM
there are a lot of 1HKO'd Moltres' and HO-oh's anyway, with the popularity of rock slide and all... and yes, Dual-Type moves would be very, very cool...

Chrisodeo
31st December 2002, 02:55 PM
But what if someone used, say, Flaming Beak (Fire/Flying) on Parasect? Would it be 4x effective? If so, then which type would it be? If the Parasect in question had a boosted Defense, then the Fire part would do. If it had boosted Spl Def, then the Flying part would do. But what would determine which type (physical or special) attack it was?

Rei_Zero
31st December 2002, 03:02 PM
I'd say the attack damage would be split in two and one half is decided by the special defence while the other half is decided by the attack. Either, this attack would be like x8 so it doesn't really matter.

Metal Claw
31st December 2002, 04:29 PM
In response to Chrisodeo:

First of all, The Flaming Beak is a cool one:D I really like that!

What I would do is probably make a rule to dual-type attacks, or increase all pokemons special def. and def. to the point where the dual type moves aren't cheap.... because a 8x super effective move is overkill...

However, the moves are meant for 2 v. 2 battles so if the possiblilty for flaming beak being a move means a fire and flying type are both present, therefore who would really SEND out a Parasect into that?:o

Anywho, you do make a good point , and if dual-type attacks were to occur....the game would have to change its attack and/or defense ratings...or 2 vs. 2 battles would be WAY too easy!

Thanx for all the opinions...I'm glad I posted this topic, its pretty interesting!:D