PDA

View Full Version : Love or hate?

Dragonfree
1st November 2003, 08:02 PM
Just a random topic I thought of... anyway, which do you like more in a fic (one you're reading or one you're writing), love or hate?

Hate all the way from me, all my characters seem to hate someone. But there's still a tiny little love story in it, mixed with hate for the very same person, making it a very sweet little sub-plot.

Iveechan
2nd November 2003, 01:48 PM
Ooh, tough to decide... I despise fics that are all about touchy feely kissy smoochie love (like, barf, some AAML fics), yet when characters feel a lot of hate, it makes me... I dunno, just find that character hard to relate to and feel for. I do like emotion, yet I also love lots of action. So I'm undecided.

The Rusted One
2nd November 2003, 08:11 PM
There has to be some kind of middle ground for a good fic (this does not mean either has to be included, though) - and I can't really decide. If the hate is deep-rooted and has some form of effect on the fic aside from "OMG, he's my rival, beat him now!", then I like it. However, I also like subtle, hinted affection in fics, too - like, a couple might be together, but at the same time might not be, with it in doubt all the time. Or, perhaps, when the couple are definitely together, they aren't all touchy-feely; their relationship is definitely there, but perhaps only brought to attention in some kind of conflict between the two - it's never directly stated, or never directly dealt with.

Royal_Goddess_Tina
6th November 2003, 10:26 AM
I am all for the romance... lol... Love all the way!! :yes: A good story, needs some love... When I read a story, I feel like I am one of the characters, so I don't want to be in a story with all this hate because I will be crying non-stop while I am reading it or I will be all filled with anger... I need something to cheer me up, that's why I go for romance... :yes: :wave:

Chris 2.1
7th November 2003, 11:23 AM
I think i prefer a good balance, myself. You know, like a hate relationship with a love one deep beneath it, or whatever. I try to have both; before MA got vaporised Alice and Victor were to have a moment, before he **** of course. Sid and Victor had a hate relationship, leading to Victor's *****, and Alice had love AND hate for Reef, she liked him but he was an enemy. Tch, love hurts :rolleyes:

DannyBoy
7th November 2003, 04:17 PM
I think its ok to have romance as long as it doesn't get all "I love you baby" every 5 sentances or something. Maybe like a crush thing would be cool or a little kiss here and there. But I really like the love hate relationships. But it is good, like having pokemon in love is a cool thing.

Mewfour
7th November 2003, 06:37 PM
Hate!! If everyting was happy happy joy joy, it'd be pretty boring, wouldn't it?

mistysakura
7th November 2003, 09:18 PM
Emotionless, straight to the action: makes it hard to relate to, nad action makes me fall asleep most of the time. (Had to struggle to keep my eyes open in LOTR)
Just love: Hard to relate to, and makes the fic sappy and unrealistice. Also, without hate, there can hardly be a good plot.
Pure hate: The origin of most plots, but too much hate can make a character unrealistic and hard to relate to and feel sympathy for.
So, fill it with all kinds of emotions! They rule.

Almond
8th November 2003, 09:17 PM
I like stories that include love and hate, usually with both emotions directed from the same person and toward the same object. But then, that's because I like to pair up people who hate each other.

If I were to pick one, it would be love. I'm just a hopeless romantic, I guess. ^_^

Powarun
10th November 2003, 07:49 PM
Neitehr, but hate is always good, you know just the stuff that makes you want to kill someone. Love just softens the character, for a personal weakness, and hate just hardens the character to a real menace, I know that, but even if you try to balance it out then you have a weak climax, SO I will go with pure hatrid.