PDA

View Full Version : What Starter? {poll included}

SWAMPERT1
2nd November 2003, 04:58 PM
When pokemon FR/LG comes out what starter are you going to start with? I Leaf Green i'll choose charmander and trade it to my R/S and then i'll start of on a new game and head out on an adventure with a SQUIRTLE. and on Fire Red, ill head out with a BULBASAUR, now venusaur can learn EQ, remember. So ya come share. BTW the poll is for the starter and version u want THE MOST. Oh and im assuming the starters are goin to be the same.

Charizard04621
2nd November 2003, 05:47 PM
If you could trade stuff to RS via these games, you really should find female versions of all three to RS... Or, if they allow Ditto to go over, that'll be a blessing. No Ditto annoys me.

Poryhedron
2nd November 2003, 08:49 PM
I want to know more about Fire Red and Leaf Green (or River Blue or whatever) before I pick one. Are the differences the same as in the originals (Ekans/Sandshrew, Oddish/Bellsprout, Mankey/Meowth, etc...and the different Game Corner prizes and prices)? Have new differences been added, like the way Ruby and Sapphire actually have different plots as far as who you're fighting? These are the things I look at, not just "Ooh, blue's a nice color."

Royal_Goddess_Tina
17th November 2003, 10:41 AM
Ummmm... I picked the F/R & Charmander because ummmmm..... Actually, I really don't know why I chose that... Oh well... :wave:

andyizcool
25th November 2003, 02:59 PM
I'll pick Squirtle because I always did on the old games and I like he so much Blastoise is so powerful. Also I think you can trade with RuSa and onto the Gamecube and play it on the big screen using the Gamecube.

~Andrew

Pig
30th November 2003, 07:38 AM
i chose bulbasaur on FR because i chose him on my original red version, i found him the easiest to use.

andyizcool
2nd December 2003, 09:49 AM
Bulbasaur would have been the easiest on Pokemon Red because he could easily beat Brock then Misty and maybe be useful later. Depends if FR and LG will be the same.

Here's what I think the game will be like just using your start:
Bulbasaur: Easy
Charmander: Hard
Squirtle: Normal

~Andrew

CrystalCross
18th December 2003, 03:30 PM
First off all I will move the 3 to my RUBY than I will go with Charmander!

CrystalCross
18th December 2003, 03:34 PM
Wait, I may start with the 3!
Thats a cool start!

SWAMPERT1
18th December 2003, 05:52 PM
dont double post C_C. just edit your last post

GirlRepellant
23rd December 2003, 01:47 PM
Bulbasaur, 'cause he's the only grass type that's ever been any good (with the slight exception of Chickorita). And Leaf Green because green's pretty... I dunno, we really can't decide on versions untill we know more about the differances.

Crazy
29th December 2003, 05:26 PM
Squirtle on L/G,why? One because I have never had green version and two because Blastoise is AWSOME.MUHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA

ramonerockn
21st January 2004, 09:18 PM
Ill chose fire red since old favs arcanine, primeape and i think electabuzz are exclusive to it, and bulbasaur would be my starter cause I never picked him in the orignal games

Poryhedron
21st January 2004, 10:15 PM
Ill chose fire red since old favs arcanine, primeape and i think electabuzz are exclusive to it

Are they? As far as I know we still don't know if Fire Red and Leaf Green match Red and Blue in that regard. Have you seen confirmation, from an official source, that FR and LG will be different from each other in the same exact ways that Red and Blue were?

ramonerockn
22nd January 2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Poryhedron
Are they? As far as I know we still don't know if Fire Red and Leaf Green match Red and Blue in that regard. Have you seen confirmation, from an official source, that FR and LG will be different from each other in the same exact ways that Red and Blue were?

On the serebii website (i think its currently down) it states that it has confirmed pokemon exclusive to each version, although they are not the same as the last red/blue

edit: here's the link http://www.serebii.net/red_green/exclusives.shtml

Poryhedron
22nd January 2004, 11:44 PM
although they are not the same as the last red/blue

/blink blink/ Huh...they're almost the same families...they just switched Scyther and Pinsir is all. I guess they probably did that because Oddish and Scyther both gained new relatives, Bellsprout and Pinsir didn't and they wanted to keep things balanced.

RaZoR LeAf
23rd January 2004, 10:52 AM
Moving this to the Other Pokemon Games forum, where it can be with the other FRLG topic.

Number1ChanseyFan
23rd January 2004, 11:43 AM
Well, I am gonna get both Fire Red and Leaf Green. Although I will play both of them eventually, I will use one to get one of each starter on my Ruby and Sapphire games. I'll probably play Leaf Green first, and use Bulbasaur, and then I'll play Fire Red, and I'll prolly use Charmander.

Perfect Chaos
23rd January 2004, 12:23 PM
Well...based on the differences on exclusive Pokemon...I'd have to say I'd pick Squirtle in L/G. Why? Mainly because, although I won't have Bulbasaur or Charmander, L/G has two of my favorite Pokemon of both Bulbasaur's and Charmander's types that can take their spots: Victreebel and Magmar

-$∑@π

mudkip007
23rd January 2004, 02:00 PM
Bulbasaur Fire Red.

Bulbasaur's the man

Plus, I'm gonna start a new game in Sapphire and trade Mudkip and then start over again and trade Torchic over

It's all good, baby

Prodigy
23rd January 2004, 04:42 PM
When RBY was out, Red at least got Scyther so I was able to justify missing out on Blue-exclusives Persian, Victreebel, Ninetales, and Sandslash. Now that the "rival" version has all of those and Scyther, that's where it's at in my opinion. I hope the US release versions get better names, though. I could do without the colors in the names and just have Fire and Leaf, although I'm hoping for Fire and Water myself.

BlueEyesPikachu
23rd January 2004, 06:01 PM
I'd get a Charmander for F/R because Charizard is one of my favorite pokemon.

Chikoo
23rd January 2004, 09:05 PM
What the hell is up with Ekans/Arbok. Who would ever want to catch them? ;o I'd choose Green and I'd pick Bulbasaur.

Poryhedron
23rd January 2004, 10:20 PM
Well, back in RBY they could be fearsome if raised right, because they learn Wrap early on...and while the move didn't prevent switching back then, it did stop the enemy from using any moves...and Rapid Spin didn't exist yet, so they couldn't break out any other way than by switching...and most in-game trainers never switch out...so the only way to beat a Wrapping Ekans/Arbok was to strike on the one turn between a previous Wrap's end and the next one's beginning. Of course, that required you to be faster. Guess what? Ekans learns Glare...

Saturos
24th January 2004, 05:16 PM
Sorry, but Squirtle owns it all. Why? Just the move combinations it has.

Blastoise used Hydro Pump on Charizard!

Blastoise used Blizzard on Venusaur!

If only a Typhlosion could use Thunderpunch again...

Don't Run With Scizors
24th January 2004, 11:21 PM
Actually, there's a good reason for Charmander to be popular:

cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD used BELLY DRUM!
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD cut its own HP and maximized ATTACK!
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD's health fell to 50%!
OmicronDonut[386T]'s CLAYDOL used TOXIC!
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD is badly poisoned!
OmicronDonut[386T]'s CLAYDOL's LEFTOVERS restored its HP a little!
OmicronDonut[386T]'s CLAYDOL's health rose to 37%!
Using SALAC BERRY, the SPEED of cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD rose!

GirlRepellant
25th January 2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Don't Run With Scizors
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD used BELLY DRUM!
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD cut its own HP and maximized ATTACK!
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD's health fell to 50%!
OmicronDonut[386T]'s CLAYDOL used TOXIC!
cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD is badly poisoned!
OmicronDonut[386T]'s CLAYDOL's LEFTOVERS restored its HP a little!
OmicronDonut[386T]'s CLAYDOL's health rose to 37%!
Using SALAC BERRY, the SPEED of cloud[386-2]'s CHARIZARD rose!

Um... how does that prove anything? It just proves that Claydol can use Toxic and hold Leftovers, and Charizard can use Belly Drum and hold a Salac Berry.

Nace
26th January 2004, 12:25 AM
I'm picking fire red for *electabuzz* and i'm starting with squirtle, just 'cos blastoise is cool. I can't wait for my electabuzz :D

Gralion
26th January 2004, 11:24 AM
Well I will get all three using my brothers Fire Red on my Leaf Green then Kick ***!

Don't Run With Scizors
26th January 2004, 04:50 PM
Um... how does that prove anything? It just proves that Claydol can use Toxic and hold Leftovers, and Charizard can use Belly Drum and hold a Salac Berry.

Does the Charizard's subsequent sweeping of the other team - which Belly Drum Charizards can do on a consistent basis - mean anything to you?

347Studboy
26th January 2004, 09:51 PM
If there's a Blue version, then I'll pick that up for nostalgia (it was the first Pokémon game I ever played!). For the same reason, I'm gonna pick Charmander as my starter. Charmander is also one of my all time favorite Pokémon families, so booya.

Razola
27th January 2004, 09:22 PM
Squirtle...but not sure what version. The one that the least amount of my friends get. It'll keep me popular.

EDIT: Studboy, there's no blue version this time. Green was Japan's blue version, which is why this is a Red/Green remake. But I think the exclusive pokemon are almost just like blue's.

347Studboy
27th January 2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Raz
EDIT: Studboy, there's no blue version this time. Green was Japan's blue version, which is why this is a Red/Green remake. But I think the exclusive pokemon are almost just like blue's.

Yeah, I understand that there's no Blue version remake as of now... I just wasn't sure whether we Americans were gonna get Blue or Green. It's a question that, as far as I know, is still up in the air. Of course, if you have any conclusive evidence one way or another, I'll gladly accept it! :D

HedgeCat
27th January 2004, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna get Fire Red and get both Bulbasaur and Charmander.

Cheesey
29th January 2004, 08:21 AM
I'm going to get Leaf Green and Bulbasaur. I think green's a nicer colour, and besides, practically everyone that I know likes pokemon will just go for Fire Red. And I think Bulbasaur is the best starter... I don't know why, I've just liked all the grass starters the most. I have a level 72 Bulbasaur in Silver as well... I love training that family. XD

Saturos
29th January 2004, 04:09 PM
We ARE going to get Blue. Japan's first versions were Red and Green. Game Freak thought about redoing Green into Blue, by redoing Pokemon locations to the oppisites of Red (Cinnabar Mansion has Growlithe instead of Vulpix in Red). There WAS a Blue Version in Japan.

To make more things simple, Nintendo released Red and Blue Versions in America. Seeing that Green got corrected into Blue in Japan, they went with that.

Japan had Pokemon Stadium. There were some Pokemon left out as Rental Pokemon, so Nintendo did a remake of Pokemon Stadium by putting more Rental Pokemon. Thus, in Japan, they had Pokemon Stadium 2 that was released, but when it came to the US, it was Pokemon Stadium, and had all the Rental Pokemon in there from Japan's Stadium 2.

Do you get it now?

~Adam

347Studboy
30th January 2004, 01:56 AM
It's not that there was something I didn't get... it's just, why bother doing a different game again? Now that they won't screw Green up, why not just do Red and Green stateside? Unless they want the full nostalgia effect. Which is fine with me.

War Raichu
30th January 2004, 09:05 PM
As my sig displays, Charmander in Fire Red, UNLESS they release a Water Blue version here, then it'll be Char' on that version.

Suicune12
4th February 2004, 03:28 PM
Leaf Green, and Charmander. LG has many Pokemon like Vulpix and Sandshrew, which I use in Blue and am used to. Also, Charmander can learn Metal Claw, so Brock won't be a problem. Besides, if I pick Charmander, Suicune will appear (and he's my favorite Legendary Dog/Cat/Beast/Pokemon/etc).

Carbonite4
4th February 2004, 05:43 PM
Charmander. He's awesome, and Charizard is my fav. non-legendary Pokemon. w00t

Mew2K
6th February 2004, 04:55 PM
Umm.... red is pretty. And... charmander was the toughest one to start with in the original, so I'll go for the challenge.

Aww... no Pikachu...

Porygon X
18th February 2004, 07:53 AM
FR and Charmander, because Red was my first Pokémon game and I picked Charmander in that too.

Don't Run With Scizors
18th February 2004, 11:27 AM
We ARE going to get Blue. Japan's first versions were Red and Green. Game Freak thought about redoing Green into Blue, by blah, blah, blah...

That's a good theory, but it's not definite proof. 347Studboy had some pretty good food for thought: now that Leaf Green isn't totally screwed up, is there really a need for a Water Blue?

Nace
18th February 2004, 04:26 PM
I read on pokemon forever ages ago that nintendo patented the name "water blue" so it's likely

Silver Ledian
21st February 2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Nace
I read on pokemon forever ages ago that nintendo patented the name "water blue" so it's likely

It's a possibility buy alternatively, Nintendo might have it patented simply to prevented other creators from making a game with that title and destroying the originality of the titles of Fire Red and Leaf Green. Although I guess you could then raise the question: Then why not patent 'Thunder Yellow' and 'Silver Steel' etc.

Anyway. My first Pokémon game was Red, which I love but I really don't like the Charmander family so I will be choosing Leaf Green when it comes out. As a starter, Bulbasaur or Squirtle, I'm undecided, but most likely it will be Squirtle because I've always loved that little guy :)