PDA

View Full Version : Bounce

SuperSonic
2nd November 2003, 09:16 PM
Is there something I'm missing?

Its a flying move with basically the same base damage as fly.

Its a two turn attack like fly.

The only main difference is it has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent.

Only two pokemon lines learn it, the Spoink line and the Ponyta line.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any special contest purpose.

Grumpig learns it at a fairly high level, not to mention his very low attack doesn't help it.

Both pokemon lines dont even get STAB.

Being so exclusive you would probably want to have it on a moveset -- well i would atleast.

Ponyta I cant really see having it, but the Pokemon of the Day Chick on IGN explained it with its pokedex entry saying it can leap over the eiffel tower.

Anyone? Please tell me its significance. I'm lost!!!!

Gligar_Man
2nd November 2003, 10:04 PM
bounce is a bad move and should never be used in any circumstances ever, 8(

anyways...

<DarkBot> [NUMBER] 340
<DarkBot> [NAME] BOUNCE
<DarkBot> [DESCRIPTION] Bounces up, then down the next turn. May paralyze.
<DarkBot> [TYPE] FLYING
<DarkBot> [BASE PP] 5
<DarkBot> [BASE DAMAGE] 85
<DarkBot> [BASE ACCURACY] 85%
<DarkBot> [TARGET] One chosen opponent
<DarkBot> [EFFECT] Skips a turn before hitting during which the user cannot be hit normally, may induce Paralysis on opponent (30% chance)
<DarkBot> [TOUCH] Yes [CAN MISS] Yes [CAN MAGIC COAT] No [CAN SNATCH] No [USES KING'S ROCK] Yes [SOUND MOVE] No

Poryhedron
2nd November 2003, 10:12 PM
Remember that there's more to the Pokémon world than competitive battling. These are creatures who can have full lives in the wild. Not everything is going to be competition material. Bounce was probably created to give Spoink flavor. It's similar to why Exeggcute's Barrage is exactly identical to Fury Attack...Exeggcute doesn't have the limbs to execute a Fury Attack, so they made a different version of it just for Exeggcute.

ace
3rd November 2003, 03:08 PM
That's also like Morning sun on beautifly. When I saw it on it's moveset on a site I thought that they'd forgotten to translate synthesis from Japanese; morning sun has the same effects and type as Synthesis, but beautifly can't synthesise.

Poryhedron
3rd November 2003, 03:27 PM
Actually, Morning Sun existed in GSC. It was Espeon's version of Umbreon's Moonlight. I forget whether anyone else in GSC could use Morning Sun...wasn't exactly common...

titandude21
3rd November 2003, 06:41 PM
it is true that pokemon have lives other than battling, but online pokes have no life other than battling.

As for bounce, it's a stronger, less accurate version of fly... plus it only has 5 PP. spoink/grumpig have low attacks, not to mention no STAB... bounce is a worthless attack. don't even consider using it (unless you're battling a team of 6 parasects)