PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] I'm Bored too. Here's my Teams.

SygmaXE
30th December 2002, 04:58 PM
Red
Charizard- Fly, Flamethrower, Earthquake, Swords Dance
Gyarados- Surf, Ice Beam, Dragon Rage, Bite
Exeggutor- Psychic, Sleep Powder, Solarbeam, Explosion
Ryhdon- Earthquake, Rock Slide, Body Slam, Horn Drill
Alakazam- Psychic, Recover, Reflect, Thunder Punch
Pidgeot- Fly, Mirror Move, Sky Attack, Agility

Blue
Blastoise- Surf, Ice Beam, Withdraw, Earthquake
Arcanine- Flamethrower, Dragon Rage, Body Slam, Dig
Victreebel- Solar Beam, Sleep Powder, Acid, Slam
Golem- Explosion, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Rock Throw
Hypno- Psychic, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Reflect
Tauros- Fissure, Take Down, Earthquake, Horn Drill

Yellow
Pikachu- Thunderbolt, Thunder, Quick Attack, Agility
Bubasuar- Solarbeam, Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Leech Seed
Charizard- Flamethrower, Dragon Rage, Fly, Seismic Toss
Squirtle- Water Gun, Skull Bash, Withdraw, Tackle
Snorlax- Rest, Hyper Beam, Ice Punch, Body Slam
Lapras- Surf, Water Gun, Ice Beam, Mist

Madelyn151
30th December 2002, 08:41 PM
note : for in-game, these teams are all perfectly fine. this rating is based on link battling.

red

zard : works. fly's kinda... crappy, but it's the most needed in-game thing. :)

gyarados : dragon rage at level 100 is pants. and you're wasting his awesome attack with only bite, which is also kinda pants x_X;; cuz he's not that fast... double-edge/surf/thunderbolt/substitute, maybe? body slam over double-edge?

eggy : stun spore or something over solarbeam. leech seed?

rhydon : you'd have to rely a LOT on paralysis to get horn drill on him... and even then, rhydon can kill stuff in like 2 turns anyway. sub over it. maybe rest over body slam.

zam : yeah, just know that a lot of people frown on tradebacks (not me...)...

pidgeot : umm, sub/sky attack/double-edge/rest or mirror move?

blue

blastoise : something over withdraw (seismic toss, subMISSion, etc). maybe blizzard over ice beam.

arcanine : again, dragon rage is... pants. reflect over it?

victreebel : swords dance/2edge/razor leaf/sleep powder. too bad he can't learn body slam...

golem : rock throw = eep. substitute = yes.

hypno : people just switch after dream eater... mine had hypnosis/thunderwave/body slam/psychic, a lesser doublepowderer thingy =\

tauros : meh, tauros kills REALLY EASILY anyway with the bog standard... body slam/hyperbeam/earthquake/blizzard. i cannot explain how many times this thing saved my *ss.

yellow (ash team? if so, fine... if not, eek)

pika : erm, i'd say evolve, but i got attached to the little bugger too =\ can you get surf? and 'bolt AND thunder are not needed. bolt/surf/twave/sub or something. seismic toss?

bulba : evolve (unless ash...). 4 grass moves? ay yay yay... sdance/bslam/spowder/rleaf. i'm tired x_X;;

charizard : heh, i didn't want to evolve my charmander... it's so cute XP flamethrower/swords dance/earthquake/body slam or something. slash and reflect can also work.

squirtle : tackle? unevolved squirtle? okay, it's an ash team. evolve. surf/blizzard/earthquake/filler.

lax : tradeback...most people won't like that... quake/sdestruct/bslam or 2edge/hyper beam. works well. or you could always use amnesialax or somethin'.

lapras : ice beam/tbolt/cray/bslam. excellent level moves, take advantage of it.

mreep.

Charizard04621
3rd January 2003, 08:45 AM
Almost any team at the right levels can work in-game... But I'll rate yours for battling real people, with the link cable and the PBS, too, in case you wanted to do that.

Red:

Charizard - Fly takes two turns. And trust me, Charizard's not really going to be using it much at all. There's only one instance I can think of where Fly will be useful, and that's if for some reason Charizard is your last and the opponent only has one pokémon left, which is Toxic poisoned(call it a slow recovery pokémon like a Chansey or Slowbro) - Charizard can't OHKO the target with a move, but is faster than it. Charizard Flies, dodges the attack, and the Toxic poison finishes the opponent off. That is a very rare instance, and do not count upon seeing many of those. I prefer Body Slam over Fly, because it gives me a chance of Paralyzing something on the switch. Which is nice.

Gyarados - Gyarados's Special isn't awesome, and it doesn't have STAB for any elemental attack except Water. Dragon Rage only does 40 HP damage in the game. I'm no Gyarados moveset expert, since I've only used it once... Perhaps Body Slam, Substitute, Hyper Beam, Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump's accuracy sucks, but since when does Gyarados survive long enough for Surf's reliable accuracy and greater pp to matter, anyway?

Exeggutor - No, Solarbeam is a two turn attack. Two turn attacks requiring charging first generally suck because the opponent sees it coming and can switch out or do whatever they want to. Stun Spore over Solarbeam.

Rhydon - Horn Drill is unneccesary and ineffective on Rhydon. Use Substitute over it.

Alakazam - Well, if you like the tradeback move Thunderpunch I suppose you can keep it. Very effective against Starmie. Well chosen, too, instead of Ice Punch for Exeggutor, since Alakazam should not be fighting Exeggutor anyway. Chansey is still a Special attack sponge, though, and don't battle it with Alakazam unless Chansey is the last and Alakazam is your last too... When Psychic causes Special falls as you would hope, Alakazam beats Chansey.

Pidgeot - Err, a Pidgeot. Hmm. Doesn't usually last very long, but... I guess you could try Fly, Substitute, Hyper Beam, Sand Attack. Yeah, you can use Fly on Pidgeot. It doesn't really learn anything better. People usually suggest Double-Edge over Hyper Beam, but unless you want to finish something off, I don't see why you wouldn't just use Fly, anyway. And Hyper Beam does an excellent job of finishing. In RBY, you don't need to recharge if you knock out the pokémon with Hyper Beam. It doesn't work for Stadium, but it works for the PBS, too. And since Evasion is frowned upon and in most instances banned, I'm not going to give you a Double Rester set.

Blue:

Blastoise - Blastoise's Special is very mediocre, and has no STAB for Ice. Blizzard over Ice Beam; Blastoise's Special can't handle it otherwise. As for Withdraw on Blastoise, you don't need it. Blastoise has a very high Defense. Seismic Toss/Body Slam over that... Or, if you're feeling adventurous, Substitute or Rest.

Arcanine - Arcanine's Special sucks, Dig takes two turns, and Dragon Rage does only 40 HP damage. Fire Blast over Flamethrower, Hyper Beam over Dig, and Substitute over Dragon Rage.

Victreebel - Solarbeam is a two turn attack, Body Slam has more power and accuracy than Slam, and Acid's power sucks. You have two choices: Use either Razor Leaf, Body Slam, and Swords Dance or Growth, Body Slam, and Mega Drain. Razor Leaf's Critical Hits ignore the powerups of Growth, btw.

Golem - Pretty good, but Rock Throw's power and accuracy suck. You already have Rock Slide. Go with Body Slam over Rock Throw.

Hypno - There's such a thing as Sleep Clause(usually, unless the people you play with on the Link Cable don't mind if you send all 6 of their pokémon to Sleep or vice versa), meaning only one pokémon can be asleep at a time. That's bad, because once people notice you're using Dream Eater, they're gonna switch their sleeping pokémon out. Anyway, I like Thunder Wave and Body Slam over Hypnosis and Dream Eater.

Tauros - Tauros is fast, but not as fast as the more speedy popular ones like Alakazam and Starmie. Fissure and Horn Drill on Tauros is a complete waste, because it can sweep with its devastating moveset, without trying to luck out with OHKOs. Take Down's accuracy sucks, plus it has recoil. Body Slam over Take Down, Hyper Beam over Horn Drill, and Blizzard over Fissure if you want the standard set. I use Rest in Blizzard's place, but that's me.

Yellow:

Meh, Ashy team. You'd evolve them all if you wanted to actually try and win, but if it's a fun team, I suppose this is okay. I'll try give you better movesets, at least.

Oh, and Yellow doesn't have the TM cloning trick, so you can just trade stuff over to Red or Blue to teach them duplicate copies of TMs.

Pikachu - Thunder's accuracy sucks when you've got Thunderbolt, Quick Attack's power is a sad 40, and Agility is needed on a Pikachu, you're right, but there are moves on it that are needed even more. Thunder Wave over Thunder, Seismic Toss over Quick Attack, and Reflect over Agility. Pikachu still gets OHKOed a lot, but hey, this is a fun team, right?

Bulbasaur - Eek! All Grass moves! No, no, no. Drop Solarbeam, Leech Seed, and Vine Whip. Solarbeam takes two turns, Leech Seed pokémon can be switched out, and Vine Whip's power sucks. Put on Sleep Powder, Swords Dance, and Body Slam. Bulbasaur especially needs Swords Dance. Don't expect it to survive long, though.

Charizard - Again, Dragon Rage has a power of 40, and Charizard has better moves than a two-turn Fly. Seismic Toss on Charizard is unnecessary. Put on Swords Dance and Earthquake... And I'd really go for Body Slam, too. But if you don't want Body Slam, I guess you could keep Seismic Toss. Not much use, though.

Squirtle - Aah! Water Gun? Tackle? Err, no. Hmm, if this is a Squirtle, its Special is dead beyond belief. Hydro Pump might be able to do some damage there... Stick that over Water Gun. Seismic Toss will help a Squirtle out a lot; put that on Tackle. Blizzard over Withdraw, I suppose... And Skull Bash takes two turns. Perhaps Body Slam over it, though it's really not going to be doing any damage in particular. I guess you could hope for Paralysis.

Snorlax - Snorlax has more powerful moves than Ice Punch. Anyway, its Special sucks, so take advantage of its Attack power: Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Selfdestruct. Snorlax can't learn Explosion. I prefer Earthquake over Surf because it kills Gengar quickly. I think Gengar are pretty popular in link cable battles, too, but I guess that differs with every area.

Lapras - Mist doesn't do much except prevent Lapras from being hit by Screech or something. You probably want Body Slam over that. And Thunderbolt over Water Gun if you can help it. If you wanted both Water and Ice, that's fine, but put Blizzard over Ice Beam, since Surf and Ice Beam have the same power. Just so you know, Ice and Electricity together can hurt any type in RBY without being not very effective. If you choose to take advantage of that, you could always use Confuse Ray over Surf. I use a Resting Lapras, but that's because the GSC battle style is slowly seeping into my brain... Not to mention Resting Lapras in RBY is a little harder to play... And plus it doesn't do very much damage to a Chansey.

Hmm, good luck with your Ash theme team, btw... And remember, you can get TMs from Red and Blue.

SygmaXE
4th January 2003, 04:51 PM
Done and Done!

Red Team

Charizard- Flamethrower, Swords Dance, Earthquake, Wing Attack
Gyarados- Surf, Dragon Rage (novelty move), Body Slam, Bite
Exeggutor- Psychic, Stun Spore, Explosion, Mega Drain
Rhydon- Earthquake, Body Slam, Substitue, Fissure
Alakazam- Psychic, Reflect, Thunderpunch, Recover
Pidgeot- Fly, Mirror Move, Mimic, Double Team

With your comments on my Ash team, I wonder what you can do with my Johto Ash team?

Charizard04621
5th January 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by SygmaXE
Done and Done!

Red Team

Charizard- Flamethrower, Swords Dance, Earthquake, Wing Attack
Gyarados- Surf, Dragon Rage (novelty move), Body Slam, Bite
Exeggutor- Psychic, Stun Spore, Explosion, Mega Drain
Rhydon- Earthquake, Body Slam, Substitue, Fissure
Alakazam- Psychic, Reflect, Thunderpunch, Recover
Pidgeot- Fly, Mirror Move, Mimic, Double Team

With your comments on my Ash team, I wonder what you can do with my Johto Ash team?

Charizard: Wing Attack has a power of 35...

Gyarados: Bite is weaker than Body Slam, and Flinch is not worth going after. I'd use Hyper Beam over it.

Exeggutor: Mega Drain won't help super much, but I guess you can keep it if you wish. However, one sleeping pokémon, if it's the right one, will make you happy. Trust me.

Rhydon: No, Rhydon can almost always kill faster without Fissure and it's sucky accuracy, even if everyone on the opponent's team is paralyzed. You really want Rock Slide over that.

Alakazam: Hmm, yeah, that looks okay.

Pidgeot: Err, if you want to use Evasion, I would suggest a Double Rester: Double Team, Rest, Fly, Hyper Beam... or something like that. I don't like evasion, though.

As for your Johto team, you'll have to ask GSC experts. I don't think I'm quite there yet.