PDA

View Full Version : Magneton:More than just a skarm killer?

ace
3rd November 2003, 03:41 PM
I am now training up a magneton: I love steel types, and the combo is cool, but I just wanted to know what u think of the set:

-Thunderbolt
-Thunder wave
-Toxic?
-Metal sound?

Ok, i'm not sure about the last two moves. I Dont want a rain dance set, and HP water etc is out of the question, so how would some of these moves work?:Metal sound,toxic,double team.

Which of the three should i have, if any?

All help is appreciated.thx.

Ps.Evs are in sp.attack, Hp and defence.

Sir Chris
3rd November 2003, 05:10 PM
looks standard enough to me, but to answer the question, no, maggy really isn't anything other than a skarm killer, imo atleast. the set seems good though, just don't get your hopes too high on its effectiveness, maggy isn't the best pokemon out there.

~ Chris

Gligar_Man
3rd November 2003, 05:44 PM
toxic, protect, thunderbolt, hp-fire(386)/ice-grass(200)

toxic/protect is so you can make a regice rest without it killing you w/ice beam (wich it can before you kill it w/thunderbolt)

hp-fire does around 60-70% to steelix, ohkos foret/scizor, ohkos other maggies... hp-fire maggy is pretty good in 386, and in 200 as a countermaggy measure...

anyways it resists boltbeam, but doesnt have a large enough s.d. to continuousley eat the stab'd one w/out protect to gain some lefties and let them eat some toxic...

hp-ice/grass, to get ground duders on the switch, also in 200, some salamences (phys not spec) will have 249-255 speed to outspeed timid zam/sceptile after one dd... (249 does that, the rest is to have an advantage over other sals...) and timid maggy has over 260 (special sals have 299 or more... and this doesnt apply to all sals in any case...), so you can hp-ice them, grass for swamperts, depends on your poison... oh well...

magneton is very useful, 8(

titandude21
3rd November 2003, 06:37 PM
t-wave/toxic, protect, t-bolt, hp water/grass @ leftovers

it's main role + best role is skarm killer. since it's a steel type, it can also absorb some attacks... but its defense only allows it to absorb so much (hey it's not a regice)

ace
4th November 2003, 01:00 PM
If the defending pokemon is toxic-ed, does that make maggy go first against them? Or is this just in case of paralysis?

Pewter City Geodude
4th November 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ace
If the defending pokemon is toxic-ed, does that make maggy go first against them? Or is this just in case of paralysis?

No. Toxic has no effect on Speed, only Paralysis.

ace
4th November 2003, 03:47 PM
Oh darn. Just for the record i meant if the defending poke was inflicted by poison etc does it go last?, not whether it's speed changes or anything. But I guess u answered my question and i also guess that there is no point of toxic and t-wave on my maggy, or no point of toxic instead of t-wave either. T-wave works so well on magneton because it's speed is not great, and being flimsy in defenses means it needs to avoid being hit when possible. so here's the set:

Magneton@leftovers
-Protect
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder wave
-Metal sound

So is that okay? In 2v2 I might pair up maggy with ludicolo for rain dance combo, but which move would I take off magneton for Thunder?Metal sound?Protect?

Andrew
4th November 2003, 06:35 PM
I quite like Maggy over Elestrike, Voltorb, Raichu ect ect cause mainly, he really rocks. With great defense, magnet pull, and good movepool.

The only trouble my Maggy ever faced was Otto's EVIL Regi-Steel.
Probably a good moveset would be either a rain dance set to work with your Ludicolo like I do... or for a standalone you COULD have...

Thunderwave
TBolt
HP Fire
Toxic... that seems pretty simple...

I prefer
Rain Dance
Thunder
Toxic
*Filler*

Syberia
4th November 2003, 09:03 PM
Ozzy, the only reason to use ThunderDance is if you also have some type of Water move, so HP Water as the filler.

MetalScyther
16th November 2003, 11:10 AM
Okay this is a late reply, but I like magneton so much that I'll list reasons to use it.

1)The most obvious reason: It counters skarmory Well. Always go timid and max speed on magneton so that skarmory can't HP Ground hax you. Spikes screw over any team. =[

2)Makes a great partner with skarmory. 2X toxic resistance is yay. Also, you can put in skarmory right away and immediately switch to magneton. If the opponent has maggy, they will bring him in. Since your faster and have HP Fire, you 2HKO him before he 2HKO's you for the win.

3)Owns Choice band metagross. Bring magneton in when metagross Meteor Mashes, HP Rock's, or Shadow Ball's(Or sludge bomb's, etc.), but NOT when they earthquake. Protect next turn. If they use the same move, they have choice band. Metagross has to stay in, and magneton will normally 2HKO while shadow ball with a few protects in doesn't even come close.

4)Good for toxicking regice. It can't go head up against it but it can toxic it, protect, and switch out.

It's still a reasonably faster special sweeper(about 260 speed), note that that is higher then most gyarados's before dragon dancing, and even a few dragon dancing salamences(if they are low or if you have HP Ice)

Maggy rocks.

infested_grapefruit
16th November 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by MetalScyther
Okay this is a late reply, but I like magneton so much that I'll list reasons to use it.

1)The most obvious reason: It counters skarmory Well. Always go timid and max speed on magneton so that skarmory can't HP Ground hax you. Spikes screw over any team. =[

2)Makes a great partner with skarmory. 2X toxic resistance is yay. Also, you can put in skarmory right away and immediately switch to magneton. If the opponent has maggy, they will bring him in. Since your faster and have HP Fire, you 2HKO him before he 2HKO's you for the win.

3)Owns Choice band metagross. Bring magneton in when metagross Meteor Mashes, HP Rock's, or Shadow Ball's(Or sludge bomb's, etc.), but NOT when they earthquake. Protect next turn. If they use the same move, they have choice band. Metagross has to stay in, and magneton will normally 2HKO while shadow ball with a few protects in doesn't even come close.

4)Good for toxicking regice. It can't go head up against it but it can toxic it, protect, and switch out.

It's still a reasonably faster special sweeper(about 260 speed), note that that is higher then most gyarados's before dragon dancing, and even a few dragon dancing salamences(if they are low or if you have HP Ice)

Maggy rocks.

So I take it that your ideal set is

t-bolt
hp fire
protect
toxic
@leftovers

?

MetalScyther
18th November 2003, 03:58 PM
Yeah. Thunderwave is also pretty good on magneton too; I used to use thunderwave quite a bit but I tend to take on regice with magneton more so I use toxic more.