PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XI

Saturos
3rd November 2003, 05:10 PM
Final Fantasy XI was just released a couple of days ago. I went to Wal-Mart before I came home from church. While in the video games section I was looking for games for my Christmas wish list. To my surprise, I found Final Fantasy XI for the PC! I was totally shocked. The game box contains 8, I mean, 8 CDs; 5 for the game and three bonus discs! This game is online, but requires to pay a fee every month or so.

I looked up on IGN, and found that the game is the LARGEST out of all FF games ever released!!! The IGN site describes more on the game itself.
Here's the website link:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/498/498962.html

Start discussing on what you think on this game. Will you be interested? How does it appeal to you?

~Adam~

Lezta
3rd November 2003, 05:14 PM
It would be fun.

Only... monthly fee's piss me off. I don't have the money to waste on them. I pay for my game, I don't expect to keep having to pay for the game after.

Still, it does look vaguely interesting. But to me, most mass-online games do... if only because I can't play them. lol.

PNT510
3rd November 2003, 05:15 PM
Me and my brother were talking to the guy at gamestop who beta tested the game, It sounds really cool. I think I will wait a while before I buy the game though seeing how I need a new video card.

Strider
3rd November 2003, 06:15 PM
I'd get it... but I'm waiting for the PS2 version though.

And I probably wouldn't get playing online off the bat either, seeing as other components are needed to play online. But judging from the screens and all, it seems to be worth the wait.

woz
3rd November 2003, 06:47 PM
red13n has it. he says it's pretty good, but installing the patches takes quite a while. i'll direct him to this topic and hopefully he should reply.

i won't be getting it, however, due to the monthly fees and such.

Saturos
3rd November 2003, 07:39 PM
I may not play online, though, just the game itself.

internal dragon
3rd November 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Saturos
I may not play online, though, just the game itself. You can't play unless your online.

classy_cat18
3rd November 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by internal dragon
You can't play unless your online.

Oh man, that sucks. Oh well, don't have a PS2 anyway. But it would've been fun to create one of those cat-type people.

red13n
5th November 2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by classy_cat18
Oh man, that sucks. Oh well, don't have a PS2 anyway. But it would've been fun to create one of those cat-type people. The whole point of a MMORPG is to play online. There is no reason for an offline mode, really. And the game just isn't fun on your own(Not to mention near impossible, and a total bore).

Anyways, since Thursday when I finally had the patch finished (6 hours for me, on DSL, about 12 hours for my friend on 56k) and could get online, I have been playing almost constantly. Very very fun, though I chose one of the hardest classes to level up(Thief, we have it very hard early on, but it pays off very much later on in the game. The extra gil is also helpful). Unlike some MMORPG which dont have any sort of things to carry on any sort of continuity, the game, in addition to regular quests you can compete anytime to want, has missions which are pretty much the games storyline(Not sure how much of an actual storyline it actually has, as I have only been playing for about 72 total hours). The missions are complete with short cut-scenes for major events, plenty of stuff to do, monsters in certain rooms people could call minibosses. No idea what bosses are like yet though, as I have yet to encounter one. And considering how far off from what I would consider to be not a low level character, I'm not expecting to see any soon. The world pass system, while a bit inconvenient, seems to be doing a good job of keeping the servers even. The economy, while a bit out of whack right now(With all of us NA players, who are merging into an economy created by the japanese), seems to be stabalizing(And people are generally good about selling stuff, they dont ask for insane prices). So far I have been able to afford everything I have needed, though I have heard gil is harder to come by for the other classes. Auction houses are convenient, searching for party members near your level is pretty easy. The controls, while getting used to, are very easy to use once you learn them(You should never use the mouse if you are using the controls properly). I have spent all but about 6 hours of my free time since I installed and patched up playing it, so I am going to say that it was definitely well worth. And definitely going to be worth the $13 a month when the time comes(Considering it costs about or more than $10 to see a movie for about 2 hours of entertainment, I'd say $13 for a month of entertainment is well worth it).

Anyways, I am playing on the Diabolos server, so if any of you are going to purchase the game, I'd recommend playing on that server. To rig a character onto a server, create it, and then after selecting a handle, go back, go to the select/delete character screen. If your character is not on the server you want, delete it and create again. Repeat this until you get on the server you want. Really saves gil for your friends..

andyizcool
16th November 2003, 08:56 AM
It still depends how long you'll you're going to play it for each day so you get your money's worth in the long run.

~Andrew

Yoh Asakura
16th November 2003, 10:35 AM
*Was Beta tester months back*

All I will say is it's a kick arse game ^_^v

andyizcool
16th November 2003, 01:01 PM
I love the Final Fantasy Series but is there any way of paying this game without paying? Are there any other free online RPGs I could try?

~Andrew

Yoh Asakura
16th November 2003, 01:34 PM
Well there's Myth Of Soma, Legend Of Mir, RO...

But I think you have to pay for all those...