PDA

View Full Version : Starting a fic. Your thoughts?

Oakbark
8th November 2003, 09:43 AM
Ugh.
I hate the start of a fic.
I have so many ideas I want to put into place, but without a good intro to a fic you won't do that well.

Sometimes I wish I could skip it and jump right into the action.

What about you?
What do you think about the beginning of a fic?

mistysakura
8th November 2003, 04:43 PM
I guess you were one of the people who voted for "ditch emotions" in the love or hate poll?
Well, I like beginnings, because I like character develoopment and all that kind of stuff. I'm not much of an action person, and so I really enjoyed writing my prologue, where nothing happened, but it was kind of poetic and stuff.
Obviously you're not that kind of person, so I don't know what to say.

DannyBoy
8th November 2003, 07:37 PM
It all depends on what kind of intro. Sometimes the start of a fic can be really helpful but as long as its not boring. I think prolouges can be boring sometimes. But I like some of the prolouges I have read where there is some action in it. But now I like to start off right with the story and tell about the things in each chapter. It makes it easy.

Almond
8th November 2003, 09:14 PM
Well, one thing you can do is start where you like and then go back and write the beginning later. Or you can start in the middle of the "action" and explain how it all came about. Or summat. Iunno.

Iveechan
8th November 2003, 11:46 PM
I agree with almond, when you begin with action and explain later, it makes people more curious to read on. Myself, i get bored when there's a long prologue with begins with all this bg information on characters, human in particular since humans don't interest me.

The Rusted One
9th November 2003, 02:17 AM
I had the same problem for ages before I started writing, and had no solution until I changed one major detail (initially, as more changes resulted) - and I know what it's like to have ideas but not be able to write about them yet because you have to build into them. All I can suggest is that you think of the differing possibilities of where you fic could go, and don't discount any that possibly could happen. Also, when analysing the essence of your fic - as in, is it dark, humourous, etc., etc. - try to think of the character you're writing of and how he/she or they if there's more than one fit into the story and what role they play. Also think of the person they are within that role, and you will be able to go back to the beginning and know exactly who you're dealing with. From there, don't jump into action, start of normal. Perhaps almost mundane, but don't make it boring in its blandness, if you understand. Present whoever it is or whatever it is that is your main character as just a normal individual with nothing special, and slowly follow them through the beginning and eventually, after a number of chapters, change the focus from normal to not-so, if that's your aim. As Iveechan said, don't make it full of information - when beginning, keep things simple, perhaps a little distant, and again, build on it. And don't try to please everyone - write primarily for yourself, setting in stone your story, where your story is going and what happens in it - write what you want to read. Not all people are going to be happy with your story, in all likelihood, but there will be at least one person out there who will be.

Oakbark
9th November 2003, 09:19 AM
Errr.....

I think some people mis-understood. Well, I didn't phrase it too well I guess.

I was talking about the prologue - you know, introducing the fic at the start, and trying to get across to readers where you're story is coming from. Especially for an original fic, where your ideas are new to everyone but you.
I just think its difficult and annoying when you're trying to get across the setting of the fic, and its origins, and explain to the reader how everything relates to everything else.

Erm.. Mistysakura, thats a bit harsh.
Firstly, I don't know what poll you are going on about.
Secondly, I think character development and emotion are ESSENTIAL in a fic , not the other way around.
Finally, I write poems in a fic if they suit the occassion, so I am a bit poetic.
Perhaps you got the idea that I was complaining about fics with "boring" beginnings, and that I preferred action from start to finish. Well then, you've got the wrong idea.

Thanks for all the positive comments though - it's interesting to find out other peoples methods of starting a fic.

Later.

Chris 2.1
9th November 2003, 03:04 PM
I like starting fanfics; its fresh, a new era, like a new beginning to try and improve your skills. Once you reach the middle of a fanfic, it feels as if you're going down the last stretch and the expirience is over, so I don't mind the start.

Monica's Army was difficult; a questyfic which was barely linked to a previous trainer one; trainer fic fans didn't come, and those were the only people I had at my old fics. But I've converted some people over the months...

I'm starting a Ultimately short fanfic which is more of a "Catch up with old characters" which starts from today to New Years Eve. It's gonna be fun for fans, I hope, and I hope they appreciate everything.

The start is also a way to set down character, so you can develop, change or stress it through the course of your writing. Whoever says endings are boring didn't hear MY two cents ;)

Mewfour
9th November 2003, 06:36 PM
Gah, I hate starting fics. Main reason behind that is that when I steart it never, ever, turns out as I plan it will. Example: When I conceived Galaxy War in '96, it wasn't the space-age Metal Gear Solid-esque infiltration concept- it was a hybrid of Star wars and DBZ. Don't ask me how in the hell I thought it would work, I was 12 years old back then. Gimme a frickin' break..... -_-'

Dragonfree
9th November 2003, 06:54 PM
It depends on what the fic is about. If it's a fic where I have no idea what the hell I'm doing when I start it (like The Quest for the Legends), it's impossible to make a good start that relates to other parts in the story and gets someone to read on because of some suspense.

In The Second Clone, I got straight to the point because I knew what the fic was going to be about. That made it easier to start, but I'm afraid the fic didn't benefit from it.

mistysakura
10th November 2003, 04:18 AM
Sorry if I gave that impression. I just said what I thought about prologues, but then thought that you probably wouldn't agree with me, the way I interpreted your initial post. I wasn't trying to be degrading or anything, just saying that our opinions probably weren't going to be the same.

Darkmaster Kagemusha
10th November 2003, 11:27 AM
(Not taking part in the discussion right now. Just answering Oakbark)

Well, there are ways to jump right into the action while still incorperating an introduction. I've seen fic writers use this technique well, and I've seen some use it poorly. It all depends on how you want to portray the character. If you want your character to be depressed, you should use the intro to put him/her into a depressing place or situation, if you want them to be violent--put them in a fight. No matter how you decide you want to make your intro, you can't forget that it is an introduction. Even if you start with a battle, you have to incorperate background information for the character and the story. I usually put the main character into a situation that shows his/her strongest trait--even if that character doesn't show that trait often. In my opinion, the introduction is the most fun part of writing a fic, because you get to adapt everything you already know about the story and character and pull it all together into an interesting story. Without the introduction, you don't tell anyone what's going on, who the character is, what their mindset may be.

Oakbark
10th November 2003, 02:07 PM
Hmm.. interesting idea Darkmaster...

BTW, what I'm talking about here is fics - you know, non- fanfiction. What I meant was that in original fic writing, its hard to set up a base at the start of the fic the way you'd like.

It's a lot easier in fan-fiction, like pokemon fanfiction, where the pokemon world is already there, as are the pokemon and the different regions. In that scenario it's easier as you have multiple footholds and you don't have to explain the origins of pokemon, pokeballs etc. , as most people know the facts already.

Oh, never mind me mistysakura, its just that I'm the opposite to the person you described, and I wanted to get that across. :rolleyes:

Anyway, later!