PDA

View Full Version : IO or not to IO... *Attention to all YGO players out there*

Dark-San
10th November 2003, 08:52 AM
Well recently there is a debate to whether IO, Imperial Order, is an essential component to every deck... To me, Imperial Order is defintely is a must. It saves me and had won me quite a lot of matches. Most of the time, I usually pair up Imperial Order with either Confiscation or Forceful Sentry. First I use Confiscation to discard my opponent's only non-magic card then, I will trigger Imperial Order in his next turn and will continue to up-keep it until I can find a way to win the match.

At times, Imperial Order can be a turning point for a win if you hav a really bad hand. To me wasting 700 Hp a turn to prevent your opponent from playing magic is worth it. Let me put it in this way, in my last tournament, I wasted 2100 of my life point on IO. Knowing full well that my opponent has a Raigeki in his hand and I hav 4 monsters on my field that would go on an attacking spree. In this kind of situation, do you think up-keeping IO is a good idea?

Also Imperial Order is another card other than Magic Jammer is the only Magic Denial card that a every deck should need. Besides you can choose whether to up-keep IO, its not like you hav to pay 700 Hp of your life point for every turn -_-"

In my country, most of the players who went pro recommended that every deck should hav Imperial Order. And most of the players whose deck doesn't hav Imperial Order says that its not that they don't wan to play IO, its just that they don't hav the money to buy it thats all.

Watever I hav to said, its already stated in the text above! So wats the opinions of you doods out there?

Alec Trevelyan
10th November 2003, 11:31 AM
hum, i belive that IO is something good when you use this just 1 turn, like working as magic jammer and then throw it out to the grave! But, paying 700 points each turn to keep it on the board is pointless, IMO, it can ruin your game too. Just some decks really needs it on the board, like exodia or something else...

Yoh Asakura
10th November 2003, 05:53 PM
700LP is nothing at all considering that you oponant can do more then 6000+ in one attack if a Thunderbolt is used.

The one thing I dislike about it, is that 2 Cyclone's can be used to chain it. One to activate the other to destroy. I feel that when it's activated no other magic cards should be able to be played. But that's just me, I want it too be a broken card ;D

Either way Imperial Decree is a deck staple.

Wergoheb
10th November 2003, 05:54 PM
if played at the right time in the right deck... 700 is nothing, and it helps you get a lock on your opponent. It is helpful in some of my decks (fire princess) but not so much in others (Gravekeepers)

Tis a great card... and one of the best traps out there, but isn't a staple. Hell, i'm not even sure there IS any staple traps, But IO is close.

DarkTemplarZ
10th November 2003, 08:47 PM
It's definitely worth it, considering how big magic cards are in the current game. What deck doesn't have a t-bolt, black hole, monster reborn, or something like that waiting to spring on you? Besides, 700 LP is nothing. A decent burn card can hit you for more damage, and even more if your opponent springs a gamebreaking magic card on ya.

The Muffin Man
11th November 2003, 12:53 PM
If IO had the original/japanese ruling(which I believe is "If you don't pay, it won't work, but stay in play") then I'd love it. It'd be great. Just pay when you need it.

But as it is, it's too situational. You can stop your opponents magic cards, but yours go to. What if you pay for it, and your opponent decides to summon Jinzo? You just lost your Pot of Greed, Raigeki, Dark Hole, Whatever for your turn. They, however, can clean the field now. And you have a wasted trap space.

"But ANY Trap can be screwed up like that!"
True, but Mirror Force has a use for when Jinzo is gone. And it doesn't keep you from using Pot of Greed to draw that one needed card.

Shutting down your magic indefinetly to PROBABLY stop your opponents magics is pretty risky. I've seen many a game where that one magic-less turn didn't phase the opponent or their Jinzo. I've even seen people:
Summon Jinzo
Destroy it with Man-Eater after they use there magic/trap cards.
Activate Call of the Haunted when you end your turn.

The other players' magic was essentially shut down for 2 turns for no reason. He had to pay the 700(not knowing wether they'd use Reborn, Premature Burial, etc. to get back Jinzo rather than Call) just in case. If he hadn't, the opponent wouldn't have had any sort of reason to use Call on Jinzo so early in the game(turn 5 I think?)

Sure, IO has its' place. Like in Exodia decks. But even still, Messenger of Peace is a bit more helpful than Gravity Bind or IO. IO really isn't a trap STAPLE. It's like 7 Tools. Its' few uses don't really give it Staple status.

700LP is nothing at all considering that you oponant can do more then 6000+ in one attack if a Thunderbolt is used.
OR they can so 6700+ with the help of a Jinzo. Jinzo, Raigeki, Limiter Removal(making Jinzo 4800) and Mech.Chaser(3700) does 8500 on it's own. I've won games like this. I've seen games won like this.

Jinzo is running rampant. IO is too risky with all those Jinzo out there.

Yoh Asakura
11th November 2003, 01:15 PM
Well before it was resitricted you could do 8000+ with Black Magician Of Chaos in 1 move, as I pulled off against Altron.

I pulled off on my first move:

2800 + 2800 + 2800 ((Black Magician Of Chaos)) + 2400 ((APS))

Total Damage 10,800 First turn.

If IO was in play that whole combo would of been stopped and Altron might of won ((You might know him, he submitted a Fire deck on Edo's =D kick *** duellist and also my training partner))

It can make all the difference in a duel which is why it's a staple.

SWAMPERT1
11th November 2003, 01:16 PM
i think its alright if u have lots of LP but not if u have a little.

Last Exile
11th November 2003, 05:36 PM
Don't underestimate this card.

Last night, 3 games out of 8, a mate of mine beat my killer Yata deck with a very nasty combo.

Imperial Order + Gravity bind + Cure Mermaid + Swarm of Scarabs + Swarm of Locusts + Dream Clown = +100lp per turn, can't attack his blockers + all my cards are KOed.

Imperial Order is a great card. If your opponent needs magic to get back in the game, paying the 700lp is a small price to pay to press home your advantage. Doing it for 3-4 turns can win you the duel if you know how. I've done it before with my own deck, so I know what I mean.

The Muffin Man
11th November 2003, 06:43 PM
IO is by no means horrible, just not staple. I side-deck it usually. I just don't see a reason to have it in every deck.

Yoh Asakura
11th November 2003, 06:55 PM
Imperial Decree IS a Staple. If you don't belive me ask Kelv, Altron, Acid or even Edo.

Click (http://www.stormpages.com/edhrzic/Yugicw07.htm)

The Muffin Man
11th November 2003, 07:11 PM
Imperial Decree is also key in a lot of "lock" decks. For example, if you have this card in play, and an Android Psycho Shocker out, you and your opponent are effectively "locked": neither player can activate Magic nor Trap cards. So long as you are in the lead during that time, the game might as well be over.

even if it WAS crossed out, he at one point believed this it seems.

What credibility.

Yoh Asakura
11th November 2003, 07:21 PM
Keeping in mind that Edo's is a site for the Japanese YGO game and the artical for Imperial Decree is years old.

DarkTemplarZ
11th November 2003, 07:39 PM
Order's a staple mainly because it's a free negation of a magic card and the rest of the magic cards your opponent activates for one turn. I can't begin to count how many times springing IO on a magic card has saved my *** in a duel. Besides, how long will a Psycho Shocker stay on the field? A couple turns perhaps? And you don't have to pay for IO when Shocker is active even if it's still on the field. Once it's gone, IO stays to negate all magic cards once again.

It was fun back when Chaos Soldier MoC was unrestricted. I ran 3 in my field clear deck and it was like DAMN, In one turn, 11600 damage (w/ Suprise Attack Matasa)

BTW, does Altron have AIM? I'd like to duel him sometime

Dark-San
12th November 2003, 08:32 AM
I took a sneak look at one of my country's best YGO player's deck and gosh guess wat? 3 Sixth Sense ;o Is it a bit too much? And also his deck has a total number of 40 cards with IO as one of his deck essentials.

I went to my local store and experimented my deck without IO. Guess wat? It really doesn't run well... My opponent was like running magics as if there is no tommorow -_-" For me IO is one staple -_-" Curse magic would be a close second

Alec Trevelyan
12th November 2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Darkyouth
I took a sneak look at one of my country's best YGO player's deck and gosh guess wat? 3 Sixth Sense ;o Is it a bit too much? And also his deck has a total number of 40 cards with IO as one of his deck essentials.

I went to my local store and experimented my deck without IO. Guess wat? It really doesn't run well... My opponent was like running magics as if there is no tommorow -_-" For me IO is one staple -_-" Curse magic would be a close second

What about show us the entire list? I got curious :P

cya :wave: :wave: :wave:

Yoh Asakura
12th November 2003, 12:30 PM
What country would that be?

Sixth Sense is being over used in my opinion.
3 is going WAY over the top.

Altron does have AIM yes, How do you think I chat with him? =)

I would give away his deck so you dun lose ;D But I dun wanna ^_^v

DarkTemplarZ
12th November 2003, 06:04 PM
DY's from Singapore. Sixth Sense is a wicked good card. At worst you throw cards in your graveyard, at best you draw 5-6 cards. What's Altron's AIM?

BTW isn't the Singapore champ that guy who uses 3 Designator of the Twilight Zone and all that distruption stuff?

Yoh Asakura
13th November 2003, 12:28 PM
It's a good card yeah, but only in selected decks. The only reason it's been released is to fit with the 308 Reversed Worlds theme... How I hate that card =_=

Disruption is often used in the Japanese Metagame, So chances are he's using it. I dislike it though... But that's me ;D

I'm not sure If I can give his AIM out in public. PM me and i'll tell ya ^_^v

Dark-San
13th November 2003, 08:44 PM
Actually I hav doubts whether that's his real deck. But who cares :rolleyes: My main purpose then was to see whether he had IO in his deck thats all!

@ DarkTemplarZ Correct!
@ YAMI YUGI Can I hav the AIM too?

Yoh Asakura
14th November 2003, 12:34 PM
PM Me for it =)

If I post it he'll get mad and block me =x

Pichu
14th November 2003, 12:39 PM
IMO, it is a good card, if your monster attack power doesn't go very high.

If most of your monsters have really high attack power, it is then not very good, since you might be powering your monsters with magic cards. ... In other words, most of the time, you always get the upper hand, then i won't recommend it. xD

Yoh Asakura
14th November 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Cyndaquil
IMO, it is a good card, if your monster attack power doesn't go very high.

If most of your monsters have really high attack power, it is then not very good, since you might be powering your monsters with magic cards. ... In other words, most of the time, you always get the upper hand, then i won't recommend it. xD

Huh? LOL

You mean it's not good in a Weenie deck that requires a lot of power up cards =)

Mew Master
14th November 2003, 04:41 PM
Most of the time when I'm in a duel, and a person uses IO, they only use it against me and don't pay the 700 LP and the card is destroyed on their next turn. It's a waste I think.

Dark-San
14th November 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Mew Master
Most of the time when I'm in a duel, and a person uses IO, they only use it against me and don't pay the 700 LP and the card is destroyed on their next turn. It's a waste I think.

It all depends on the hand. Besides IO > Magic Jammer for the reason as IO doesn't need you to discard a card from your hand. I would only upkeep IO if I don't see any need in using magic cards in that turn...

Yoh Asakura
15th November 2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Mew Master

Please do explain how free negation is a waste?

What you're saying is that you'd rather let a Raigeki hit your field rather then flip over a FREE negation trap..

Yeah that's a real waste... :rolleyes:

Mew Master
15th November 2003, 09:12 AM
No, I think it's a waste to treat it as a Free Magic Jammer and then descard it the next turn. Personally if I had 6000+ LP, I'd be willing to pay the 700 LP to keep it. I think it's a good card... just the way ppl treat it as a single Free Anti-Magic and don't consider the possibilites of keeping it on the feild.

Yoh Asakura
15th November 2003, 10:39 AM
I do admitt I dislike how people only use it once and then drop it.

700 LP is nothing to me, mainly because it's rare that I drop below 6000... but that's besides the point.

The only time that I destroy Imp Decree is when I have something in my hand that I want to play. E.g. Thunderbolt. Otherwise I keep it in play for a while.

I don't like the whole Cyclone counter thing. If Imp Decree is flipped then to me it's effect is activated, yet you can counter it with a MAGIC card... Stupid Rulings..

Dark-San
16th November 2003, 10:10 PM
7 votes against 4. Hey this is an expected result. I was surprise that most ppl would decline playing IO because of the whole payment of 700Hp thingy. My friend did a research from several msg boards other than TPM and found out that 75% of the ppl who posted their deck doesn't include IO. Funny stuff I guess :rolleyes:

Mew Master
17th November 2003, 07:54 AM
Did you ever think about the difficulty there is in trying to get Imperial Order? I can't even find individual packs of Magic Ruler (right set...right?) except at Hastings... and they are 5 bucks a pop!! Wal-mart has them for cheaper... a lot cheaper... more like 3.95. meh....... but what do I know... I'm still perfecting my Dragon Deck.

~Mew Master