PDA

View Full Version : I'm a weak, weak man and I'm finally caving...

The Muffin Man
10th November 2003, 02:06 PM
After months(years?) of advocation against the XBox.
After countless hours of complaining how this had so few games to impress me.
After uncountable "console debates" where I upheld the honor of the PS2 and Gamecube...

I'm cracking up, caving in, taking it like a man.

Ladies and gentlemen(and I use that term as loosely as possible)...

I, The Muffin Man, or Mike as you may know me..

am buying an XBox.

Now, before you condemn me for:
A.Caving in
or
B.Not buying one sooner.

Let me tell you this ONE thing.

Purple monkey dishwasher.

Now, onto the point of this topic!
(people gasp)

In my quest to be finally accepted as a True Gamer, I am throwing aside my preconceived (and partially proven) notions and I am buying an XBox.

'So what do we care? Buy an XBox. Like it makes a difference to me."

I need help choosing a game.

I can get 2 games. One is GOING to be Knights of the Old Republic unless nobody has any copies whatsoever. In which case, people die.

I need to know suggestions for a second game. I was thinking Simpsons Hit and Run looked good, as well as Futurama, but Morrowwind looked interesting, and Halo is obvious. But what do you suggest?
Or should I just get Bloodrayne or PN03 for the Gamecube? They both look like great games as well.

woz
10th November 2003, 03:14 PM
halo. it's awesome on both single player and multiplayer in every way.

if not, get morrowind, it is also a very good game. one that will last you a very long time; you can easily rack up 100+ hours.

SageofLaughter
10th November 2003, 03:41 PM
If you often play with friends, consider getting Halo simply for the multiplayer. Otherwise - and I have to be the one to speak out against popular opinion here - avoid it like the plague as the single player creates levels of tedium that will warp your fragile sanity.

As far as other games go, there are a number of fantastic options available to you:

Otogi - If you're after an action game, then NOTHING touches Otogi. From begining to end it'll have you on a demon killing high.

Panzer Dragoon Orta - The game is rather short, but has enough extras (including the original Panzer Dragoon) to keep you playing for a while. The game is a masterpiece.

MechAssault - Get Xbox Live, then get this. You wont be disapointed.

The Muffin Man
10th November 2003, 03:52 PM
I might warn ya, chances are slim the things leaving my house and I don't have visitors, so multiplayers not a huge deal for me...

Also, there's no real way I'll be getting Live anytime soon. At least not until I get a steady job with decent pay before I get out of school.

So far, looks like I might get Otogi or MorrowWind.

Also, anyone heard about this Nov. 15th thing? It's Halo/Boxes 2 year anniversary and LIVEs' 1 year. Speculation says anywhere from Halo 2, to Halo 1 with LIVE support.

classy_cat18
10th November 2003, 04:46 PM
Wait until Ninja Gaiden or Fable to come out before you buy one. But if you can't, I heard that Panzer Dragoon Orta is pretty good (I like dragons/dragoons).

Mewfour
10th November 2003, 07:44 PM
FOOLISH MORTAL!!!

Okay, that's enough for spats of fanboyism out of me. If you're looking for good Xbox games (Heh, oxymoron in most cases,) then go for Soul Calibur II. Halo is a given.

Andrew
10th November 2003, 08:20 PM
Get the original Buffy for the XBox it looks excellent, has all voice actors bar one, a great storyline and a great fighting system and most of all is fun.

Or alternatively if you want to burn your Xbox simply play Blinx.

SWAMPERT1
10th November 2003, 11:11 PM
wait until HALO 2 comes out then get 1. thats wat yoda thinks yes

The Muffin Man
11th November 2003, 12:40 PM
Swampert - No offense, but right now the release date is April. I'm not waiting till April to get a game ;( I'll just get a job and buy that game. So unless November 15ths' "big thing" is Halo 2, I won't be getting it anytime soon with my Box.

And Mewfour - I can't get Halo AND Soul Calibur. I already said in my first post I WILL be getting KotoR and another game.

I'll probably crack and get Halo.

Andy - I'll buy my friend an XBox with Blinx when I get a job/money ;) Teach that bastard to keep my Metroid Prime.

SuperLedian
11th November 2003, 05:03 PM
just to clear something up from your first post: blood rayne is pretty mediocre, and PN03 is absolutely awful. stay away from those.

oh and yeah, get halo. its a given, as you said.

PNT510
11th November 2003, 05:53 PM
I say get Halo, or Morrowind Game of the Year. It's $30 and it has both the PC expansions added.

Mewfour
11th November 2003, 06:19 PM
Well in that case, I hear that MechAssault was a decent spruced up port of MechWarrior4, and Morrowind was pretty good as well.

Well, I hope you have fun with your Xbox, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Yoh Asakura
11th November 2003, 06:28 PM
PN03 - Blows. Simple as. It's incredible easy and It gets boring fast.

As for your Xbox issue:

Halo & Blinx come to mind first because they are the best games on the Box.
I would suggest Dino Crisis 3 but the camera ruins the game...

Clicketh Thou Link - GTA (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/grandtheftauto3/index.html)

I'd hold on for a bit though since there will be another price cut soon, Plus Halo 2 and Half Life 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/halflife2/index.html)

If you're really stuck for decisions then check here: Team Xbox (http://www.teamxbox.com/)

Check the Reviews, they have a pretty accurate rating system.

Strider
11th November 2003, 06:39 PM
I would definately recommend getting Ninja Gaiden, due out sometime this month I believe. Seeing from the current screenshots and the praises it has received, it ought to be pretty good.

If not, then I would say either Halo or Shenmue II. Both excellent games as well, of course.

SWAMPERT1
16th November 2003, 10:33 PM
oh, if u are wanting to get an X-BOX and have a roomate/friend that comes over alot, Get Phantasy Star Online. Great 1-4 player RPG. BTW does any one actually have PSO besides me on dis site?:wave:

Razola
17th November 2003, 12:47 AM
First off...Boodrayne and PN03? Of all the gamecube titles, you mention too of the worst. You'll never be a "true gamer" until you develop some taste. Whatever a "true gamer" is...

And get friends. NOW. Gaming isn't gaming without friends to yell at. I played Mario Kart for five hours this weekend and had a blast.

Now, to the games:

Halo*
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack
Soul Caliber*
Madden 2004*
Mech Assault**
PSO***
Beyond Good & Evil
Prince of Persia
SSX3
Return of the King

*Requires friends for full experience
***Requires friends and/or is online.

The Muffin Man
17th November 2003, 06:02 PM
First off...Boodrayne and PN03? Of all the gamecube titles, you mention too of the worst. You'll never be a "true gamer" until you develop some taste. Whatever a "true gamer" is...

You mentioned Halo and GTA as games I should look into getting.

And a Football game.

You lose.

I'm returning Halo and getting Morrowwind probably.

Razola
17th November 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
You mentioned Halo and GTA as games I should look into getting.

And a Football game.

You lose.

I'm returning Halo and getting Morrowwind probably.

You mention looking into PN03 and GOD DAMNED BLOODRAYNE.

You lose at life.

The Muffin Man
18th November 2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Raz
You mention looking into PN03 and GOD DAMNED BLOODRAYNE.

You lose at life.

Raz:
1st - This is the last argument post I'm making, so don't waste your energy.
2nd - Read my post carefully. Did I once say "I will definetly be buying these games"?
Now. Did I say I DID buy them?

Raz, for someone who's skating on pretty thin ice with the admins, you're getting rather careless.

classy_cat18
18th November 2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by SWAMPERT1
oh, if u are wanting to get an X-BOX and have a roomate/friend that comes over alot, Get Phantasy Star Online. Great 1-4 player RPG. BTW does any one actually have PSO besides me on dis site?:wave:

I have the Gamecube version. Although I don't play online. Or play much period. I'm not really good at it. On the other hand forget about it.

captainkaboom
29th November 2003, 06:52 PM
rainbow six 3 is an amazing FPS, especially online. KOTOR was a fantastic game which i spent well over 100 hours on, but could probably be beaten in a rental or two. NHL Rivals 2004 is the top hockey game of 2003-04 even though the reviewers gave it bad reviews (check the official xbox fourms, everybody loves it). check out IGN's game of the month for october and november for a list of great games, as the past two months have been wonderful for xbox. the best is still yet to come though, with TFLO, ninja gaiden, fable, halo 2 and others yet to be released. PGR2 is very fun online. any of these games would be wonderful. nonetheless, the fact that you didn't buy an xbox in the first place is disturbing. on planet kaboom you would be terminated for such insolence.

- all hail captainkaboom

Kokomo
1st December 2003, 08:28 PM
Wait, Muffin Man, what games do you plan on getting for your xbox? I heard you mention KOTOR and Morrowind, but both are on PC. I'd like to know what else you're going to get because from how I'm looking at it there was no reason for you to get an xbox. Just wondering.

probationsmack
12th December 2003, 08:20 PM
jet set radio future looks awesome, the gba version impressed me enough
but i dont have an xbox
how does jet set radio future (rollerblades and graffitti) fare?

woz
13th December 2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Kokomo
Wait, Muffin Man, what games do you plan on getting for your xbox? I heard you mention KOTOR and Morrowind, but both are on PC. I'd like to know what else you're going to get because from how I'm looking at it there was no reason for you to get an xbox. Just wondering.

those games both require quite impressive computer specifications. maybe he doesn't have a good enough computer (most likely a good graphics card) for it.

Nikku-San
13th December 2003, 09:23 AM
You should be ashamed, Mike. Buying an X-Box is like marrying your sister and having six kids...... Okay, maybe not that bad. Eh, good luck lifting the controller, it will be good arm excersise. ^^;;

woz
13th December 2003, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes:

Kokomo
14th December 2003, 02:18 PM
Eh, good luck lifting the controller, it will be good arm excersise. ^^;;

You bet, those controllers are like a bajillion pounds!!!

:( The original controller isn't even't really that big, can we all just calm down.