PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Whats YOUR take on Sharking??

Leon-IH
11th November 2003, 04:51 PM
personally i have friends with sharks, they shark stuff like Surfing Charizards..
now i borrow thier sharks now and then (or get them to do this for me) to get Growtheons, as i once said on serebii.net i dont have the money to GET to NYPC and i'd rather not risk getting shot on then way :)

so, whats your take on this kind of thing..

is making myself a Drumlax unholy and warranting execution OR is it fair enough??

Poryhedron
11th November 2003, 07:16 PM
Typically, I don't use Game Shark to help me win, but I do use it for novelty things. For example, I wanted to go through Crystal with an all-Dark-type team, just for kicks. I do that sort of thing; when I've already beaten a game, I play through it again and do a theme, deliberately limiting myself to add to the challenge. It keeps games fresh far longer than they would be otherwise.
Anyway, back on-topic, what Dark-types are there in Crystal for my all-Dark-type game? Let's see...
Murkrow: In Kanto only
Houndour: In Kanto only
Sneasel: not available until after more than half the Johto Badges
Tyranitar: not available until after ALL of the Badges
Umbreon: not available until Goldenrod, and since you can't fight wild pokémon in Goldenrod, it'll take either a very long time or more money than I have at that time to evolve it

This was a game where I Sharked a few species into the grass of Route 29 and caught them there at level 2ish.
Now, the Dark-type game was fun, but it's not something I would bring to a tournament. The only way I would ever use Game Shark on something destined for tournament battle is to make easier something that was possible anyway, like Sharking a certain Nature onto a pokémon rather than catching PC-fuls of them until I found one with the right Nature.

choknater
11th November 2003, 09:56 PM
If you shark to catch a level 1 Zapdos so you can train it to its full potential is fine with me. Why? I did it.

But sharking for a max DV (is it possible?) and level 100 Mewtwo that's just as strong as that bad *** mofo from the RBY stadium...

That's just plain wrong.

HedgeCat
11th November 2003, 10:07 PM
Once, I made my Lugia on silver forget Aeroblast for Hydro Pump. So I sharked it back.

It's okay to shark a move that you accidently made a pokemon forget IMO. And, it's also fine (IMO) to shark for a theme team (like Poryhedron).

Number1ChanseyFan
11th November 2003, 10:13 PM
Well, I have never owned/used a Gameshark. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using a Gameshark, as long as it is used for legal purposes. As long as the Gameshark isn't being used for cheating purposes, like making an Aeroblasting Dragonite with a 999 attack, then it is fine with me. Basically, there is nothing wrong with sharking IMO, as long as you are not using it to just make the game easier, or using it for illegal movesets/stats and stuff.

titandude21
11th November 2003, 11:28 PM
i am completely against sharking in gsc for competitive battles, although i wouldn't mind battling with an Megahorn + Aeroblast Scyther... or a Mega Kick Geodude just for fun

Bob54321
12th November 2003, 04:24 AM
I use a gameshark a lot to try different movesets out in the battle tower - saves me training for hours. I have never put illegal moves on a pokemon though - I guess I'm an honest cheater.

Sir Chris
12th November 2003, 09:53 AM
I think sharking is completely wrong. If you made a mistake, fix it the old fashioned way, recatch the pokemon and retrain it. Just the way I am on the subject. I feel gameshark 9/10 times ruins a game because people alter stats and illegal moves onto their pokemon. For theme teams I went about and did it the hard way ;/. caught my bug types where they were, raised them all in their seperate domains, and eventually got a 6 bug team. same thing can be done for a dark type team, it just takes a little effort, tis all.

~ Chris

Poryhedron
12th November 2003, 12:50 PM
I feel gameshark 9/10 times ruins a game because people alter stats and illegal moves onto their pokemon.

The remaining 1/10 appears to be well-represented here, from the posts thus far in this topic. There are shades of grey between never touching a Game Shark and making pokémon with all stats at 999 and movesets even Mew can't manage.

For theme teams I went about and did it the hard way ;/. caught my bug types where they were, raised them all in their seperate domains, and eventually got a 6 bug team. same thing can be done for a dark type team, it just takes a little effort, tis all.

True, but I wanted to be able to go through the whole game with this team. Without either a Game Shark or Link Cable trading with friends (which is something I'm not in a position to do very often,) My Dark-type team would have been non-existant for the first three badges, and limited to Umbreon alone for the next four. Kinda misses the point.

Sir Chris
12th November 2003, 01:29 PM
I am just very old fasioned about this, you have to remember, I come from a community(before tpm) that their stats were always F35, so I don't have the most pleasant of experiences with gamesharks

I suppose bug is the easiest type of themed team to have... I mean, the way you used it is alright, but I REALLY hate gameshark in general, and think that its very lame -_-

HedgeCat
13th November 2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Sir Chris
If you made a mistake, fix it the old fashioned way, recatch the pokemon and retrain it.

Pretty hard to catch a Lugia again after you saved.

If you're going to say i should have turned off the power, well, I wasn't paying attention and saved once it forgot areoblast. >.>

Leon-IH
13th November 2003, 11:45 PM
good to hear the opinions of many.. chris if i offered you a growtheon and it was NYPC'd would you take it?? hence whats the difference (well in that case anyway)

johny_e
14th November 2003, 04:57 AM
sitting for hours and hours training a top team is simply boring. i see nothing wrong with sharking, as long as you dont shark illegal moves and stuff.

ShinyVulpix
15th November 2003, 11:09 PM
Try this

1. save before u fight Lugia
2. fight it and catch it
3. save again but when it's saying Saving.Do not turn off the power... immediatly turn off your gameboy (Like when you copy your pokemon)

when you open your game again you'll see a Lugia in front of you
(right there when you saves)
but if you go back to your PC you'll see a Lugia in your box
(this make 2 Lugia. One in your PC another still be in the wild.)

Now you can catch Lugia as many times that you want by doing this

HedgeCat
15th November 2003, 11:30 PM
how do you know this?

ShinyVulpix
15th November 2003, 11:36 PM
I just try it and it's work