PDA

View Full Version : Metropolis

RedStarWarrior
30th December 2002, 09:38 PM
I just purchased and watched Metropolis. It is a story, written by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira), that is based on the Metropolis comic created by Osamu Tezuke (Astroboy).

Animation:
Spectacular backgrounds and props. Some characters have unproportional parts of their body (i.e. some have large noses, etc. that are not realistic) but that is part of the ingenius design of the characters and does not take away from the quality of the animation. Absolutely stunning in many scenes where it appears that CGI has been utilized.
10/10

Music:
The music is barely noticable and merely adds to the scenery rather than being distracting. The only song that stuck out was the last (or next to last...when Tima is still alive) one during the movie (before the credits). I believe that this was done on purpose because it causes you to pay attention to the words in the song which relate to the scene and thus add to the emotional atmosphere of it.
9.5/10

Plot:
No slow parts or confusing parts. To sum the plot up (in my opinion): 'Mankind should not be greedy and try to exceed its own bounds.' Brilliantly developed throughout and the ending is sad and happy at the same time...very pleasing.
10/10

Overall:
Nicely done. Three cheers to Katsuhiro Otomo on another animé masterpiece. I recommend this.
9.8/10

GoldenDragonite
30th December 2002, 11:08 PM
I rented Metropolis from the library not really knowing what to expect. It was 11:00 at night when I first tried watching it because nothing was on.. but I fell asleep. I watched it the next morning and was completely blown away. I loved it, the music, the animation (Rock was cute!), the plot, the characters.. everything. I'm currently looking for the soundtrack of it (I loved the jazzy new orleans sounding music)

Roarkiller
31st December 2002, 08:34 AM
:D I take it the movie's good enough to watch then. That's 3 anime in my want list now (Neko no Ongaeshi, SEL), heh heh *digs out savings*

Lightning
31st December 2002, 01:50 PM
I saw it in theatres (Toronto was the only canadian city to have it showing XD) in February I think. I loved the movie, but my mom didn't like it enough to buy it. x_x I loved the plot.. it was so original. :)

Bai,
Lightning