PDA

View Full Version : A rant about Eevee and 'eon overuse.

Dark Nidoknight
11th November 2003, 08:52 PM
Eevee-you either love 'em or hate 'em.(well, there may be nuetral people...but whatever) They are so cute, fluffy and, most of all, overused.

I mean, what the heck? There are plenty of other good Pokemon out there...ones way better than Eevee.

Now, some of you may be going "Why don't you love Eevee!? Everyone loves them!" I don't, okay? I dislike those little cats/foxes/whatever they are. Wanna know why? Because of overuse. If they were not overused, I would be nuetral. But noooo.....

The ones that anger me off most are those "special" Eevee. You know, the ones that can take down a high level Nidoking?(example taken from an actual fic)<_<

The real thing that pushed me over the edge after all the other Eevee/Eon stuff is a fanfic titled "Pokemon Revolution" by Farla at fanfiction.net. Don't get me wrong, it is well-written and pretty good overall...however, she made a fatal mistake: an 'eon was the leader of the revolution...(oh yeah, and potrayed fighters as brainless. For most that would not be a fatal flaw, but for fighter fans it is.)

Anywho, Eevee and 'eons are overused IMO. Can't people use something else?

~Dark Nidoknight: Sorta angry at the moment.

Sorry if I offend anyone too much. Mods, feel more than happy to delete this if you feel it necessary.

Powarun
11th November 2003, 09:13 PM
Agree, Eon's are very popular, and the reason behind this is the multi evolutions, If you think about it, there is so much you can do to and Eevee, evolve it into 5 or more evolutions, and that brings some suspece to it. But an unpopular approach is killing Eevee's/

dratinihaunter13
11th November 2003, 09:29 PM
They are used all over the place, heck yeah. It doesn't bother me as long as the eevee is different from any other eevee written about. that can get difficult with so many of the things on the board. the ability to beat a high level nidoking right out of the gate would really annoy me. so it's good to use different pokemon, just for a new kinda thing. plus, i think people may start using other pokemon besides eevee since i'm noticing more and more people disapproving of the popular characters presence. still though, pokemon can be different from each other. an interesting eevee with a deep, original character is very read-able, like any pokemon would be if written well.

besides, better eevee's popularity than pikachu's >_<!!!!

Dark Nidoknight
11th November 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by dratinihaunter13
still though, pokemon can be different from each other. an interesting eevee with a deep, original character is very read-able, like any pokemon would be if written well.
besides, better eevee's popularity than pikachu's >_<!!!! [/B]

I didn't mean they could not have a unique personality. I meant "special" as in completly unrealistic.

PancaKe
11th November 2003, 11:09 PM
Eevee's are popular probably because they're really easy to write about. And also, theyr'e interesting because of the eveloutions. The reason why I put Eevee's in my pokemon stories is because they're a cute pokemon that I like that are very easy to write about. Its' almost like writing about a real animal, same with Vulpix's and Growlithe's and I happen to like those pokemon. When you're writing about a Charizard, its a bit different as a Charizrad is more "made up" than an Eevee. If you get my drift.

~Mist

Dragonfree
12th November 2003, 04:03 PM
I usually write with pokémon I like. So when I like Jolteon, I make the main character get an Eevee and evolve it into Jolteon very soon (at least it's not the extremely cliché "Eevee-is-losing-but-then-evolves-into-Umbreon-and-becomes-all-powerful")... but making an Eevee take down a Nidoking is completely absurd. Even when I really love Charizard, I'd never make a Charizard win every battle (although that may just be because I like characters that show a weakness). Unless, of course, if that Eevee was some kind of a "chosen one" pokémon that Mew chose to save the world and gave it the ability to use extreme psychic powers... but that's just me being weird, so if that Eevee had no reason at all to defeat that Nidoking, then it's really stupid.

Iveechan
12th November 2003, 05:55 PM
I just get sick of the eevee/eon with tortured lives and hardships scenarios. And these weird stories that focus only on eons and made-up eeveelutions.

Heh, what's the fun in writing about a Pokemon that's real close to a real animal? You might as well just write about a real fox and not make it a Pokemon.

Almond
14th November 2003, 10:52 AM
Well, it seems to me that people use Eevee a lot because it's cute. Also, though, it has the potential to become one of five (or more, if you're into using original Pokemon) evolutions. A person might have five main characters and give each and Eevee, and evolve them differently based on the characters' personalities.

Personally, I would prefer to use lesser-used Pokeys, myself. I'm working on an OT fic in which the main character starts with a Paras - a Pokemon I rarely see as a starter in fics. Bug Pokemon aren't used that often, period, unless it's Strike or Heracross, IMO.

Lady Vulpix
15th November 2003, 06:57 AM
Well, my fic doesn't even include pomkemon, but I think a fic can be great or horrible regardless of the kinds of pokemon there are in it. It's the plot and the personalities of the characters that make a fic interesting and original or not.

CharizardILG27
15th November 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vulpix
Well, my fic doesn't even include pomkemon, but I think a fic can be great or horrible regardless of the kinds of pokemon there are in it. It's the plot and the personalities of the characters that make a fic interesting and original or not.

Yes I agree with that, but i mean, if you constantly read fics with Evee and evos, starters, and all of the overused pokemon, you do get annoyed. Usually, i the main character starts with a starter or some overused pokemon, i tend to kinda drift off, unless of course the writer is very good.

Lady Vulpix
16th November 2003, 07:15 PM
Well, I do agree that having overused pokemon makes it more difficult to write an original fic. I wouldn't be surprised to find one, though (moreover, I already have found one). *Points to Lune.*

Last Exile
16th November 2003, 07:27 PM
It's because it's cute, huggable, an ideal accessory for the teen girl in the Pokemon world and because it can turn itno just about anything. But yeah, it is way overused.

mr_pikachu
18th November 2003, 07:30 PM
It's cute, it's versatile, it's easy, it's familiar, it's everything a newbie writer ever wanted. 'Nuff said. :D Down with the overused Pokemon (unless, of course, they are used in an original, creative, or otherwise enjoyable perspective)!!

Originally posted by dratinihaunter13

besides, better eevee's popularity than pikachu's >_<!!!!
:o I'm hurt! How could you say such a thing? *crosses arms, turns around and pouts*

LightNinetales
25th November 2003, 10:52 AM
I love Eevee.Yeah,Eevee IS overused.But you can write a really good fanfic with overused pokemon....if YOUR character has an unique personality,even if it is an overused pokemon,your fanfic will be good.