PDA

View Full Version : Long term writer's block is starting to drive me insane...

Sir Chris
17th November 2003, 04:21 AM
sup

The thing is, I have been working on my novel for nearly a year now, but for th epast month now I haven't been to write a single thing I am happy with, and it just kind of bites...

I like my words to be liquid in nature, flowing and easy to read, and yet descriptive in nature, but they haven't been that lately... hell, its been a few months since I truly wrote anything that I am happy with... Let me show you all a chapter from my book X_x.

Can you guys like tell me if this is just me expectign too much fromyself or if I actually have a problem... I figured this was the place to ask it because I can not figure out what I want out of this battle, its supposed to be meaningful, thanks for any help X_x

“Ronin, you have done well to make it this far boy, I suppose what Chris saw in you was a reality.” He smirked and walked along the wall. “It is a shame you must die here, you had so much potential.” Moving in a blur Kuja leaps from the top of the tower and lands on the ground, only feet away from Ronin. “I suppose I will have to give you a good fight, aye?” He loosens his coat and throws it to the ground.

“You are disgusting; you act as if you are better than everyone else, when truly your weak mind is what led you to your path. You do not know the meaning of true strength, Let me gives you an example of it.” With this he unsheathed his sword and rushed forward.”

“Foolish boy, do not lecture me!” He drew his sword and ran to greet Ronin. They both spun around and struck each other’s sword on the downswing. Kuja was the first to break it by stepping a few feet back, only to be pushed back more by the force of Ronin’s sword hacking at him. “Let’s go BOY!” He rushed forward and swung at Ronin, but Ronin’s sword was there in plenty of time to block it. However, Kuja kept spinning around and attacked at different angles. Each time Ronin was able to meet the challenge of blocking it with ease. Finally Kuja did a stabbing motion, and ronin performed a back flip to avoid it. However, "However, Kuja had expected the back flip, and countered the back flip with a forward uppercut slash, slitting Ronin's stomach and up to his throat!"“Blah.” Ronin was stunned for a moment and had to spit out some blood from his mouth. Kuja, however, was not wasting his time. He had come forward looking for the kill, sword raised above his head. Kuja brought it forth with great speed. Ronin dug into the earth with his right hand and used it for leverage to roll to the right, avoiding the would-be mortal wound. Getting to his feet in a crouching position, Ronin gave a sigh through his panting.

“Oh come now, you aren’t any fun. I thought you wanted to play! If you want to play, learn to play right.” Kuja clearly had an advantage; Ronin’s lack of experience was catching up to him. “Think how I can beat him. His speed is amazing; I have never fought an opponent of this caliber. I have to try to end this quickly, I am bleeding badly, ****ing bastard.

Ronin decided to try to take the offensive. He jumped into the air and bega He jumped into the air and began to spin into a tight 360 spin while making a downward spiral cut towards Kuja. Kuja jumped in the air to meet Ronin, with his sword behind him. He swung but seemed to hit nothing but air. Ronin, coming from the left with deadly speed, delivered a huge slash to Kuja’s chest. As the blood spurted out from it, Kuja seemed to be lost for an instant, shocked almost, but by the time his feet landed on the ground, he regained control.

“So you have talent after all, as you wish, it is time for your death!” He rushes forward and tries to cut Ronin’s head off but Ronin ducks, and begins his own offensive, doing a vertical cut which Kuja back flips away from and came back with a stabbing motion. Ronin was able to brush it aside with his own sword and attempt a stabbing motion of his own. Kuja however took his feet off the ground and grabbed a hold of the blade with his feet, using Ronin’s momentum he through him into the stone wall of the tower by doing a handspring. Ronin’s back arched in pain as it hit the wall and his body crumpled to the ground, agony ridden. Ronin picked himself up only to see Kuja moving in for the kill. Ronin gave all the effort he could muster to pick up the sword and prepare to defend. To hell with defending… I did not come here to be a coward!. Ronin rushed forward with his sword behind him He met Kuja’s sword, however he quickly did a back step as Kuja attempted to do an uppercut slash. Ronin quickly blocked it and tried to cut him across his gut, only to be blocked once again by Kuja’s sword.

Ronin was breathing heavily. “Not bad you son of a-” Ronin was cut off by a swing of Kuja’s sword. “The time for talking is over boy, save your speeches for later.” Kuja said this as he rushed forward and jumped into the air. Both hands on his word he raised it above his head in a downward stabbing motion aiming right for Ronin. Ronin jumped out of the way, however Kuja’s sword had emitted a lot of pressure and even though Ronin wasn’t stabbed, he had many new cuts on him. Ronin gave out a cry of pain while Kuja sneered at the sound.

Ronin ignored the pain that was coursing through his body and charged again. They both gave lightning quick slashing motions, each time the other blocked it with their own counter slashes. So dizzy, I have lost too much blood, my vision isn’t going yet. It’s only a matter of time before it gets blurry on me. Just doing these quick slashes is getting me nowhere but into more trouble.

As they continue with the deadly dance with their blades, A thought occurs to Ronin. Why am I doing this? Did I have no training? Surely it had to have taught me something! Am I to die to this pathetic excuse for a man?

Kuja notices Ronin seems a bit distant and rushes forward breaking his pattern and kick him hard in the face and delivering a light slice to his leg knocking him back with a lot of force. “You are pathetic Ronin, I don’t see why my lord was even worried about you, you are nothing. Your soul is mine boy!”

Soul.

6 months ago, Chris and Ronin were training and taking a break…

“Ronin, let me remind you of something, there are two types of energies in this world we live in. The physical Energy, such as fire, Wind, and physical strength. Then there is energy of the soul. A battle can be decided on either of these factors, Not many have the strength to beckon on their soul for power. Your soul is not you, it is your hidden power. Those who have walked a path of light or who areusing their power for good may be able to call onto their soul in times of need. Remember that, I think you will be needing it someday when I am gone…”

Soul.

Ronin snapped out of it and fended off Kuja’s oncoming attack with a swift slash of the sword. Then he proceeded to jump backwards. I am not a good guy, I do what I want and I seek revenge at times, but surely there are worse powers than me in this world! For ****s sake help me out! I wll do no ill with the power!

Suddenly the ground started to shake. The wind picked up and began to swirl around Ronin and Kuja. A light began to sparkle all around them. Blinding Kuja and to a degree Ronin was well.

“What have you tried to summon boy? It shall not help you!” Kuja yelled at him. Ronin, for the first time in over 6 months, smiled. It was an eerie smile, not a happy one, but one of deep satisfaction . “I called on myself.” With that the light broke and the wind died down. However, there was still a light coming from Ronin’s sword.

“Have you enchanted your sword boy? Hah! You call on magic to try to defeat me, how sad.” Kuja rushed forward preparing to attack. However, Ronin seemed to be quicker than him and met him about half way slashing fiercely. The two swords met, however unlike the last time, they were not evenly matched. Kuja grimaced under the pressure of Ronin’s sowrd. “The hell…” he muttered. Then his sword’s blade broke off and he was blown back by the pressure of Ronin’s “new” sword.

“My soul yearns for justice Kuja, It refuses to be denied! With this, Ronin lifted his sword one handed above his head so that is was pointing straight towards the sky. “Soul Reaver!’ Ronin brings down his sworn with deadly speed as a brilliant light comes from the sword, taking the shape of a a wolf. It heads straight towards Kuja pounding its paws on the ground. “I shall not be defeated Ronin” Kuja rushes forward and tries to cut the wolf, but it goes right through, The last thing his body does is open its eyes wide in horror as the wolf goes right through his body. Taking the soul from within, and devouring it.

“What a pitiful excuse for a man.’ Ronin shakes his head and sheathes his sword. “So, you are my spirit? That bastard Chris was right…” The wolf nods and loses its form, the light forms around Ronin’s left hand when it fades there is a ring there with a crest of the wolf.

Ronin then walks into the forest, still looking for his mentor.

thanks for reading and thanks for any replys I get... if any >_<

PancaKe
17th November 2003, 04:42 AM
I didnt really notice anything too bad about that bit. There was one problem that struck out at me, but im not sure if that is entierly due to your writers block.

Watch your tenses. In the first few sentances, then through the whole chapter, its constantly switching, and you got to be careful.

Aside from that, its darn good. But I know what you're feeling, I think its Writers Block season. I'm also suffering from the same thing, and put the first chapter up of my fic in a bout a month, and I'm not happy with that. But just remember, something will come along and jolt you out of writers block, its happened to me. Perhaps you need to take a break and write something short and fresh to get your mind flowing again.

~Mist

mr_pikachu
18th November 2003, 07:50 PM
In addition to what Mist said, I noticed very little description other than the fight itself. We have no idea what it looks like around them, how they look, or anything. But perhaps the most important point of all is the lack of emotion. We see a lot of dialogue attempting to display emotion, but all I see are two guys who are angry and trying to kill each other. Maybe you could try to show some of their emotions. Have at least Ronin recall memories that meant a lot to him, have him wage an inner battle, or something like that. This, in addition to showing the subtleties like sweat, tears, and flushed and emotional faces, will make the difference, IMO.

And Mist is right about writer's block. Something will come to shake you out of it. In the meantime, you might as well focus on something else for a little while. Maybe start a new writing project, or spend some time with friends, or something like that.

And that's all the advice I've got to offer. :wave:

The Rusted One
24th November 2003, 02:25 AM
Well, do you know exactly where and how the story will end? Or what everything's leading up to? Cos if you do, then you can sort of work backwards - not in writing all the last chapters and then the first, but rather, plan how everything happens in the end, then the events immediately before that, and then work backwards by planning it all out and linking it back to what you've got now an what you think might happen immediately afterwards.
That's one way to deal with writers' block - that is, if you've got the kind of "what will happen next" block.

You may, and it sounds more like it, have the "I know what needs to happen, just, I can't put it into words I like". One solution I often find useful is to write something, then stop, and then see what you can elaborate on. Like, write the bare bones, and then go back and apply flesh to it. Or, write one version now, and then tomorrow, write another version, and see which parts can be taken from a number of different versions and tie into each other in a version you like.