PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] help meh ;;

Spinarak-Man
31st December 2002, 03:19 PM
First off, let me say this is the first time I have truely ventured into the world of RBY competetive battling. I didn't find that pokemon was on the internet until I started playing Gold... and then I just stuck with GSC ever since. I have a slight idea of what I'm doing.. but that's about it. I play GSC and it might show by the movesets I use.

Right here is the team I'm training up in my restarted Blue version. This is about the first time I've played Blue in like 2 years...

Dodrio
- Drill Peck
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Reflect

I'm not sure exactly, but this seems pretty good. From what I do know, Sleepers are common starters... Drill Peck should take a nice chunk outta them if they don't switch. This team is weak on the defensive, so Reflect is nice. *shrug* You tell me.

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Mega Drain
- Explosion

I'm iffy on Mega Drain... especially it being the only attack. =/ Here for the double powdering and Explosion in case I screw up.

Wigglytuff
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Beam
- Fire Blast

Paralysis support and all out killing. ;P

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Seismic Toss
- Recover

A pretty solid set in GSC... not a standard there, but exceptable. Thunder Wave is always an option, but I have plenty of paralysis floating around on this team.

Starmie
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Surf
- Recover

Death Star. Known all over GSC.

Snorlax
- Amnesia
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest

Takes the paralysis and hopefully sweeps.

Well, it doesn't look that bad to me... but I'm no RBY battler. I'm thinking a ground might be useful... Rhydon or Golem, perhaps. I'd need to pull someone first, though, and I'm not sure who.

RaZoR LeAf
31st December 2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Spinarak-Man
First off, let me say this is the first time I have truely ventured into the world of RBY competetive battling. I didn't find that pokemon was on the internet until I started playing Gold... and then I just stuck with GSC ever since. I have a slight idea of what I'm doing.. but that's about it. I play GSC and it might show by the movesets I use.

Good to have you. It's nice to steal players away from GSC. I men.. yeah that is what i mean lol.

Right here is the team I'm training up in my restarted Blue version. This is about the first time I've played Blue in like 2 years...

Dodrio
- Drill Peck
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Reflect

I'm not sure exactly, but this seems pretty good. From what I do know, Sleepers are common starters... Drill Peck should take a nice chunk outta them if they don't switch. This team is weak on the defensive, so Reflect is nice. *shrug* You tell me.

Yeah that's actually the standard set for Dodrio. Though it is risky as a starter. It works to knock a chunk of HP off Grass type starters, but falling asleep or becoming paralysed is the worst thing that can happen to Dodrio.

If you battle online at Azure's PBS, i'd suggest Substitute over Reflect. Since Substitute is glitched it'll actually BLOCK Sleep and Paralysis attacks (i think.)

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Mega Drain
- Explosion

I'm iffy on Mega Drain... especially it being the only attack. =/ Here for the double powdering and Explosion in case I screw up.

Go for Psychic over Mega Drain. It's good occasionally, but doesn't really do justice for Exeggutor. Other than that, the moveset is fine. You might want to consider it as a starter, if not it being predictable.

Wigglytuff
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Beam
- Fire Blast

Yup that's looking ok. Blizzard might be better over Fire Blast. Fire attacks tend not to be necessary and unlike GSC Blizzard is more accurate

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Seismic Toss
- Recover

A pretty solid set in GSC... not a standard there, but exceptable. Thunder Wave is always an option, but I have plenty of paralysis floating around on this team.

It's always worth having extra paralysis but it's a good set all the same

Starmie
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Surf
- Recover

Tis. If your battling online, some people don't like GSC Tradebacks, in which case use Blizzard over Confuse Ray. And possibly TBolt over Surf

Snorlax
- Amnesia
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest

For a sweeper, give it Hyper Beam over Ice beam (assuming you've got other ice moves on your team. If not, put it over Bolt)

Well, it doesn't look that bad to me... but I'm no RBY battler. I'm thinking a ground might be useful... Rhydon or Golem, perhaps. I'd need to pull someone first, though, and I'm not sure who.

I'd put one over Dodrio from a quick look.

GoldDraconian
31st December 2002, 05:42 PM
Dodrio
- Drill Peck
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Reflect

From your comment, it seems that you may have made a slight mistake (which is understandable for a first-time RBYer). Reflect only affects the Pokemon that uses it, and it lasts until you switch. It looks to me like your comment is indicating that Reflect will help your team defensively- it'll only help Dodrio here.

RaZoR LeAf- Azure's PBS isn't exactly 'glitched' in blocking PAR- IIRC, Stadium does that. It's kinda like saying that the PBS is glitched because it makes Focus Energy boost the CH rate (yeah, it works funny with multiple-hit moves, but FE was still intended to boost the CH ratio). On the other hand, you'd be correct in saying that it isn't true to the GB games...

Nothing else to add here...

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Mega Drain
- Explosion

I find that Mega Drain is too weak as his only attack. Psychic instead.

Wigglytuff
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Beam
- Fire Blast

Yep. Consider something over Fire Blast- with no Skarmory in sight, it suddenly isn't all that great. :p Thunderbolt or ideally Blizzard would go well there.

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Seismic Toss
- Recover

One rule in the Chromatic world is that you never have _too_ much PAR.
The only thing other than T-wave that can go here is... Kinesis, really. :p Yeah, it sucks, but it gives Kazam the ability to reduce accuracy, which can be quite effective.

Starmie
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Surf
- Recover

This is a tradeback. While I'm fine with them, and most people tolerate them, tradebacks are generally frowned on. Just remember that.

Snorlax
- Amnesia
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest

Yeah.

A Ground? They're useful for absorbing PAR (but Snorlax can do that for you), and they can all sweep, potentially. I think you've got guys who can do both of those, so it's not necessary... I don't really know where you'd put one in anyway. You can bring one in if you want, tho...

pokecenter
31st December 2002, 10:21 PM
hmm... I don't know how your Dudrio can learn Body Slam, the guides says that Dudrio can't learn Body Slam
Let Dudrio learn Tri Attack is always the stantard

for Exeggutor, use razor leaf instead of explosion, because Exeguttor is too slow, you don't have time to use explosion because your enemy will take you out first! Since Exeggutor is a grass/psychic, learn Razor Leaf and Psychic would be great!

For Alakazam, use thunder/fire/ice punch instead of seismic toss, since Seismic toss is a NORMAL type attack in yellow/blue/red/green, and Alakazam is good at Special, you should use a special attack move set!

Give your snorlax Body Slam, for it has 1/3 chance to paralyze your enemy, and it's is a Normal type, which is as same type as Snorlax

GoldDraconian
31st December 2002, 11:25 PM
Sorry to post twice, but this guy may want some help.

IIRC, Dodrio gets Body Slam from the TM. Tri Attack isn't that great.

Exeggutor would be great with Razor Leaf, yeah- except that he can't learn it. :p

Seismic Toss is Fighting type, but it doesn't matter. It always does damage equal to the user's level- in this case, one assumes that it would be 100.

Snorlax doesn't have any STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) moves because he has Amnesia. Amnesia greatly boosts your Special- which means that Special moves will do a lot more damage, quickly.

I hope this doesn't give the wrong impression. I just wanted to help you a bit, pokecenter. I hope you're not offended or anything. :)

The Muffin Man
1st January 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Spinarak-Man

Dodrio
- Drill Peck
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Reflect

~Heh. Reflect only helps HIS defensive pants ^^; but good enough.

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Mega Drain
- Explosion

~Give it Psychic or Double-Edge over MD and make it a starter. I prefer DE as it doesn't matter if it damages itself.

Wigglytuff
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Beam
- Fire Blast

~Blizzard over Fireblast. Perhaps Fire Blast over H-Beam?

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Seismic Toss
- Recover

~Thunderwave over Reflect. 'Kazam can't take a hit either way

Starmie
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Surf
- Recover

~Eww. Use Blizzard over C-Ray

Snorlax
- Amnesia
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest

~Snorlax is not nearly as unstoppable as he is in GSC. A simple Rhydon is daddy, but it still needs H-Beam over Ice Beam

Put Rhydon or Golem over Wiggly, or 'Lax, perhaps.

Spinarak-Man
1st January 2003, 12:58 PM
Alright. That helped a lot. Some good points were made and I think I'm taking just about all suggestions.

Dodrio now has Substitute over Reflect.
Eggy now has Psychic.
I'll take Blizzard of FB on Wigglytuff.
Starmie now has Thunderbolt over C-Ray.

Tis all I'm changing for the moment... Thanks.