PDA

View Full Version : The (un)Offical Thread title topic! Ask others for title suggestions!

Oakbark
28th November 2003, 01:08 PM
I have written a previous note on the topic of thread/fic titles and their helpfulness to gain better audience/interest.

Not being rude, but I can't help noticing some of the 'bland' titles that people name their fics. They are unoriginal and lifeless to say the least.

So that is why I have set up this thread - I'd like prospective fic posters to give a general summary of their fic, and then others can post back with suggestive titles. The fic writer can then take a title from the selection offered by repliers, or not.

Also, if you want to check if your own title is okay before you post your fic, then the same applies as above.

So get posting!

Later!

Oakbark.

Andrew
28th November 2003, 09:51 PM
How does my Title - Electric Buggy To Victory sound? A bit cliched? I was thinking "No! Not another trainer fic!"

But basically its about a guy and his Mr Mime that go on a Pokemon Journey to get out of school work and end up getting sucked into the big gimmick with siblings and stuff along the way. Pokemon stole the sibling idea from me! BASTARDS! But yea...

Chris 2.1
29th November 2003, 06:33 AM
I thought this was for beginner fics....but I suppose excisting ones can be rated, too. Oz: I remember when EBTV started and you had **TRAINER FIC!** written in the topic title......ahhh, the days of editing titles :rolleyes:

CharizardILG27
29th November 2003, 10:21 AM
Well my story which is coming December 27th is NOT a trainer fic. The sequel is ;o . Anyways, the main characters are Albert Henington age 34, and Matt Henington age 4. Albert is a Pokemon researcher and often goes on expeditions to find new discoveries. Albert gets a new call for an expedition and finally can go. Since Matt has no place to go, he comes with the expedition. So, the crew sets out on the land of Johto (they live there) and try to find the underwater cave of Lugia, a newly discovered Pokemon that has little info known about it. Basically, the story is about Matt going out and learning about Pokemon as well as exploring and Albert is searching for the Pokemon.
I had a name "Like Father Like Son" but it sounds crappy. Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S Crap i hope i didnt give the whole story away...meh

Iveechan
29th November 2003, 12:42 PM
I need a title suggestion for my story idea where this guy discovers that his new Machoke (who he traded to get, expecting to evolve into Machamp) is pregnant, and he has to put his trainer journey on hold and return home to take care of her. The guy (Gavin) starts out disliking Machoke but eventually learns to like her and even forms a sort of love for her. The title can't give away too much of the plot.

Oakbark
30th November 2003, 09:07 AM
OzAndrew - I don't think you need to worry about your fic title. The name is pretty well known in the forum, and you'll always find a reference to it in every fic as a good fanfic. The awards show it as a great story too. I think the good stigma attached to it will be enough to pull in readers.

CharizardILG27: Hmmmm.... Like father like Son is a bit - off. To me that would suggest Ash's son going on a journey and becoming a poke master. But, it is on the right track. BTW, is Matt a little young, or is the fic incororated to suit his age?
What about something like "Little Explorer" or "Tricks of the Trade" (that's if the prof is teaching his son about pokemon)

Iveechan: Love your pics by the way! I don't know exactly. I was thinking "Forbidden Love" but that sounds a little lovey-dovey. What about "Train to love"??(you know trainer and love).

Ok then, that's it for now! The idea was that EVERYONE would chip in and help each person by submitting their own ideas!

Oakbark.

Chris 2.1
30th November 2003, 04:07 PM
Charizard: How about 'Albert's burning ambition?'
I have more ideas. Sometimes being as plain and simple is a very good way to bring people to your story. Maybe 'Torn between two Whirls', one world being Johto and the other being the world beneath the whirl Islands. How about 'Where the legends began' or add to it 'Where the legends began: Whirl Islands'.

Iveechan: 'Passion for Pokemon'?
'Maternity Machoke' Nah, too animeish...
'Parent Life'?

Meh, burn them all...

Mewfour
30th November 2003, 04:14 PM
Huh, I don't know. I rarely ever think of changing the names of my fics, but the only one which I've ever changed was Kaitou- now known to you all as Bloody Sword: 3050 A.D. And I dunno, which do y'all like better?

PS: How about my prize fic, Pokemon, Asylum of the Damned Style! Ya' like the title or no?

PPS: In order to reduce confusion, I'm thinking of changing the title of Tales of a Lost Galaxy to something else, as my flagship original fic is the Galaxy War series. So whatcha think? Change or no?

PPPS: A new idea I'm piddling about with now for when I finally finish PADS! (Only FOUR more chapters left! WOO!), is a fantasy fic which I've tentatively named Legend of Alternica? You like?

CharizardILG27
30th November 2003, 04:29 PM
Chris: hmmm i like your ideas, i think maybe i will make my title based off of it. I'm thinking..."The World Beneath", "The Legend Beneath", hmmm

geez coming up with a title is harder than i thought!

Iveechan
30th November 2003, 07:33 PM
Well, the thing about the title is that I don't want it to be too obvious that it's a love story or that a pregnant Machoke is involved (even though it may not matter much now since I've mentioned it in public). I wish that expect the unexpected wasn't used, that would've been perfect. Thanx anyway ^_^;

mr_pikachu
2nd December 2003, 10:29 PM
Iveechan: I was thinking maybe "Reflections" or "Shattered Reflections". The first simply shows how the trainer reflects on just what the heck is going on, and the second adds the fact that it's shattered everything he thought would happen to him.

Charizard: Yeah, he seems a bit young... ^^; Anyway, how about "Adventures in Parenting"? You like?

Mewfour: Nah, all of your titles are good. ;) *runs away from machine gun fire* But really, I've never questioned your titles. I think you've done a good job with them.

OzAndrew: While your title makes sense now that I've read your fic, it actually kept me away at first. I thought it was gonna be about some cheesy kid like Casey (from the anime in Johto) who was obsessed with electric Pokemon and Beedrill. :P But I'm not sure what else could fit... I've gotten so used to that title that it seems like nothing else could work now... someone else could probably give you a better perspective, honestly.

btw, does anyone have any opinions on the title of What Dreams Are Made Of? Any comments would be appreciated (as long as they don't give up too much of the plot! ;))

The Muffin Man
4th December 2003, 10:23 AM
Ivee - Well, it's about Machoke...so perhaps "The Strongest muscle"? That might not hint at it being a love fic, and it kind of tells you when you read it that the strongest muscle for them is the heart. Cheesy, I know.

Chris 2.1
4th December 2003, 11:50 AM
TMM, that titles's really good! It's simple and intruiging, and gives an indication romance is involved. I really think it's good!

EDIT: Changed what was interpreted as sarcasm and being rude into the opposite

The Muffin Man
4th December 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Brit Chris
TMM, that's an amazing title! I love it! Iveechan, if I were you i'd be totally using that -_-;; *cough*

Let's just take out our sarcasm detec-*BOOM*
Now hows about the jackass detec-*BOOM*

Wow. And they were both off.

-_-;; he's a hint, Chris. Don't be such an *** to everyone. Your suggestions weren't much better.

Iveechan
4th December 2003, 03:57 PM
I will think aboot them both. Hee hee, even when late in her pregnancy, the Machoke can still kick @ss and carries her trainer around.

Mewfour
4th December 2003, 08:42 PM
Question for Iveechan:

When you say "I don't want it to be too obvious that it's a love story or that a pregnant Machoke is involved," do you mean you don't want it to be obvious that there is a pregnant machoke involed, or that the machoke herself is pregnant, or that you don't want it obvious that there's a Machoke in there and she's pregnant? Sometimes, the best way to title something is to know exactly what you want to tell readers.

For instance: the main reason why I chose to change Kaitou to Bloody Sword: 3050 A.D. is because A) nobody knows what a kaitou is, and B) the fic itself is pretty bloody, involves medieval weapons (Swords, axes, etc), and it takes place in 3050 A.D.

But anyway, how does "Threads of Heart" sound, or is that too obvious? Peh, don't look at me for a good romance title, I called mine "Pokemon, Asylum of the Romeo and Juliet Style." Shows what I know... -_-'

Chris 2.1
7th December 2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
Let's just take out our sarcasm detec-*BOOM*
Now hows about the jackass detec-*BOOM*

Wow. And they were both off.

-_-;; he's a hint, Chris. Don't be such an *** to everyone. Your suggestions weren't much better.

Whoa, wait! waitwaitwait! I wasn't being sarcastic! you've totally misinterpreted me there man, because i was being honest, it's a good title and a good suggestion! my dodgy face and cough was because the whole post looked like a suckup...

sorry that you got the wrong impression, and sorry if anybody else thought that