PDA

View Full Version : Run Rockets, Run! (Rated 15 for Mild Gore)

Jaffa
2nd December 2003, 12:07 PM
Hi... Welcome to my latest Fic... Run Rockets, Run!

I'm not really sure what this fic really is, or whether it can be defined... :rolleyes: But it's definately not a Trainer-going-round-gyms-and-onto-the-league type story.

It is in the Game/Anime Universe... However, the events in the Anime may not co-inside with the story (relating to the anime's main characters) or the game even, so I warn you now, don't come complaining to me when Ash, May, Brock OR EVEN Max have caught something, and I've not got it down... And seeing as most of it might not be true to the anime episodes... There won't really be any chance of me making Spoilers... :P :D

BTW, there is something a bit of suggestive-ness... So anybody feels affected by that certain issue raised in my story, please go talk to someone... There are people out there willing to help you... Phone-lines, Councillors, lots of stuff...

Now onto the show:

Run Rocket, Run!

Prologue

A beach... A narrow, white beach... Shells, Coconuts and odd bits of seaweed were scattered about the shore. An Old Man is walking down towards a lovely tropical chalet, but he stops. He can see a figure lying in the sand... A young teenage boy in a tattered, strange-looking uniform…

Chapter 1: The End of an Era

A dark island across a stormy sea, a giant mound of electrical wizardry and mechanical mayhem towering over the surrounding blue...

Inside the tallest tower stood a man of power, the leader of some of the most powerful criminals in the whole of Kanto, Johto, The Orange Islands and soon, Hoenn: Giovanni. He stood on a platform, towering above almost a hundred Grunts, Scientists and Executives...

Behind Giovanni, locked away in a glass encasement, lay an un-natural being of might... Its body slowly pulsing, the dangling and malformed appendages... The sheer horror that lay before them struck fear into all of them...

...Except one...

...A young person standing at the very back of the room, with a Persian and a Vulpix, both sitting next to him... This boy was barely 16... His face hidden by his long fringe and puffy beret-styled hat; his cold, grey eyes staring into nothing-ness.
Even though he was zoning, the youth spoke... "He is signalling for you, my friend..." his almost toneless voice echoed in their own little world, away from the sea of evil that flowed in front of them, "He must want to show you off..." he laughed...

He bent down and gently rubbed the classy cat under the chin lovingly, then pushed it on its way... It looked forward; the man was stamping his foot and pointing beside him.

The Persian looked back with a pleading look in it's eyes "Meow?"

"Just go to him, you’re his, not mine!" the Boy snapped

"Meowmeow..." it sighed.

The Vulpix then got to its feet, walked over to the cat, and gave it a gentle Lick, followed by a cheerful "Vul!"
The Persian perked up, licked the Fox back, and then dashed towards the Rocket Boss, quickly zooming round the stairwell up to its owner.

"FINALLY!" cried the Irate Boss.

The sound reverberated through the massive hall. The Persian looked at its claws as its owner went into a rant, the vein in his forehead looking as it was about to pop.

"...Though I wish you were..." the boy whispered as a single tear rolled down his pale white cheek.

"I've always had to look after everything... And I didn't even do THAT right according to him..." he though to himself... "Luckily he can't remember the one thing that REALLY got him mad..."

"MACKENZIE!" came a deep-throated scream.

"COMING!" the Boy called back. He started to saunter towards the tower Giovanni was standing on, gently calling "Vulpix," he whistled "Come on Vulpix, good girl!"

"WHILE WE'RE YOUNG!" Giovanni cried again.

“YES, ALRIGHT ALREADY!” Mackenzie cried back, “I’M NOT DEAF!”

He reached the stairwell, and like a flash, he dashed up the turnstile.

“What do you want?” he asked when he reached the top

“For you to STOP SOFTENING COMPANY POKEMON!” he spluttered. “How on earth are my operatives supposed to do their jobs if their pokemon WON’T DO ANYTHING TO OTHER POKEMON OR HUMANS?!”

“All I’m doing is being compassionate towards them while I do SOMEONE ELSES JOB!” Mackenzie screamed back “I’M HERE AS A POKEMON ATTACK RESEARCHER, NOT BABYSITTER FOR ALL YOUR LITTLE DETRUCTION MACHINES!”

A ringing, deafening silence befell the hall, only disrupted by the twisted and strangulated heartbeat of the being that lay in the chamber.

“Well,” snorted Giovanni, “It’s nice to know that you don’t get everything from your mother!”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” questioned the young Rocket

“I always knew you had my fiery temper…” he snickered.

“Don’t respond,” Mackenzie thought to himself, as he lowered his head to look at Vulpix, “It’s just a trick to show he’s right!”

“Mack,” he said, now in a puzzlingly cheerful tone “My little Mack, what’s wrong?” Giovanni slowly went to lift his son’s chin up, but almost instantly:

“Keep your filthy, incestuous, abusive hands OFF ME!!” Mack bellowed, smacking his father’s hand back towards him, hard and sharp. He glared at his father.

Giovanni rubbed his hand, it stinged like hell, but it had worked, and he slowly began to laugh.

His father’s laughter was just what it took for it to dawn on Mack,

“Great,” he though “I took the bait,”
“Dammit!” he hissed, just above a whisper. “I’m so stu…”

…SMACK…!

His sentence had been cut short by an almighty backhander he received from his father… He was flung to the floor, and both Persian and Vulpix came to his side.

“How DARE you bring THAT up,” he hissed, “And HERE, of all places!”

The crowd bellow was murmuring now. Giovanni panicked.

“What if they heard?” the thoughts rushed through his head “I could be discredited or worse… They might mutiny… They might side with him…”

“Right, you leaving, I want you to take a group of five and do fieldwork around the Hoenn region,” he whispered, almost sounding conspiratorially “I only have two bungling agents there setting up a branch office, rendezvous with them and help!”

“Okay…” Mackenzie sighed.

“Goodie, first babysitting, now fieldwork…” he thought, “What next, company laundry service?”

Mack got to his feet and dusted himself off. His cheek was throbbing like no tomorrow…

“There will be a helicopter ready for your departure with a team assembled,” snarled Giovanni, “And don’t come back until you’ve set up a region office and knocked the rival teams out of business!”

“Yes father,” sighed Mack. He pulled out a decorated pokeball, covered in flames, “Return Vulpix.”

Vulpix smiled as it was engulfed by a red light, and returned to the ball in a small beam.

Giovanni moved stepped towards his son, a pulled him in for a less-than-willing hug. Giovanni then whispered in his son’s ear, “And when you get back, we’ll ‘celebrate’, ‘kay?”

Mack said nothing; he simply pushed himself out of his father’s arms and shuddered.

Giovanni let out a small laugh at his sons reaction, and watched as he hoped on the stairwell rail, and slid down to the bottom. He then returned to face the murmuring crowd,

“LADIES, GENTLEMEN, ESTIMED COLLEGUES, Mindless Grunts…” he cried, “I welcome you to the unveiling of our latest experiment… The result of our first look into space research… To tell more, I give you Doctor…”

Mack stopped listening; he didn’t care about his father’s latest scheme in whatever. All he really knew was it wasn’t the first time his father had done something like this, and that it had ended up destroying two bases, and resulted in half the force suffering from amnesia…

He rushed out of the massive hall and into a small metal corridor. He could hear the operative keeping check on his father’s experiment. He could two operatives going through the ropes…

“He’s signalled for us to release The M.S.V.P.”
“I’m raising the protective shield, now!”
“Attaching Control Mechanism,”
“Wait, I think… There’s a malfunction… The control mechanism’s failed…”

“Typical!” Mack thought, “Nothing can ever go smoothly for him. I best get out before it gets any worse!”

Mackenzie dashed through the corridor to a blast door, which for some reason was closing…

“That’s weird, that shouldn’t be happening…” He thought “Unless…”

Mack stopped thinking and jumped through the door, just before it managed to seal itself…

“Phew!” Mack thought, as he got up to dust himself off. He looked round.

“Good,” he thought “The helicopter is prepped to go, the storm is clearing up, and the blast door’s melting…”

Mack Paused, then let out a wail as the blast door turned into a thick goop.

“AGENT BLACKWATER!” came a cry from the helicopter “WHAT’S GOING…”

He must have seen the blast door, because the figure at the Copter’s door turned white as a bed-sheet…

“RUN!” He screamed. Mack turned and the melted door simply folded away, revealing the most horrific scene he had ever seen or thought about…

There stood (well, floated) the thing from the chamber… A Red body, with bits of green and black, all hidden under massive amounts of blood and the odd internal organ here and there. Below lay the bodies of several mutilated Rockets and their Pokemon, Two figures stood out especially…

“DAD! PERSIAN! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

Mack glared at his fathers killer, staring it straight in the eyes (Well, in its face really, god-knows where its friggin’ eyes are!). It simply stared back, and let out a strangulated scream

“HhshhSssuuUUuUUuUMMMnnnmAAaaAANnns!!! Hhhusuhuuuumannnnss musmsut ppppaaiaaiiiIIyyyyyyyyyy!!!”

And with that, it’ two tentacle-like appendages for a left arm were flung back… Mack felt himself being dragged away… But he couldn’t really seem to focus… Everything was going black… Black… Black………………

That's Chapter 1... Chapter 2 is hinted at somewhere... I leave you to guess...

Once again... If affected by the issue raised in the story, look for help...

I have chapter 2 ready and waiting in the wings... I'm just waiting for some constructive critism, which is welcomed and very much appreciated, and will help me greatly

Legends-Kuja
5th December 2003, 10:48 PM
The great Deoxys owns Gio, huh... too bad!

I like this story. So far, I see few mistakes. Just keep going. I'll be back to post my own story in a while...

Arnold
6th December 2003, 10:53 AM
YeahJM..isn't able to post because he somehow got a IP ban o0;;

mr_pikachu
6th December 2003, 11:05 PM
Not at all bad for the first chapter... except for the needless... "stuff". Little kids might be reading this, man! :o

Anyway, there were a few typos here and there, but nothing too bad. I guess you did a good job of introducing the main characters... even though you killed the one that was *censored for the sake of everyone's innocence* the other one... this is a freaky fic, and so early! :o Incredible accomplishment! The freakiest characters ever, and after only one chapter! I'll be waiting for the next one... and add the... "other reason" to the fic's rating, willya? :mad:

mistysakura
7th December 2003, 01:08 AM
Reminds me of Frankenstein. (Only through other people's retelling of the plots, though; I fell asleep on page 2 in the actual book.)
Freaky. But freaky's good, since it means you've got you rifc in the exact category where you want it to be. The characters seem inhuman, especially Giovanni. That usually sucks in any other fic, but in horror/thriller, it isn't neccessarily a drawback. i can see that Mack's coming through quite nicely; he would be a great character to explore.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

DannyBoy
7th December 2003, 12:39 PM
Well this story seems original and the first chapter is great. You describe the emotion of Mackenzie and Gionvanni very well. I was very interesting when you described all the dead bodies. Mackenzies reaction was good when he seen Persian and Gio. I think you are doing a great job so far. Keep it up!

Jaffa
8th December 2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all your comments... Chapter 2 is more of a setting chapter, and isn't that horror/thriller-ish... The next one adds detail... Introduces a few characters...

I'll be putting up Chapter 2 in a bit... (Unless I get another IP ban... :rolleyes: ) I just want to make some changes...

Thanks Legends-Kuja for your vote of confidence...

mr_pikachu: I'll be upping it to 18, so I'll rummage for the title changing thread and make sure that everyone will know... The stuff will add to Mack's character... Maybe his opinions and personality... But I do know that i didn't add "the stuff" needlessly.

mistysakura: I can understand the Frankenstein comparison... And thanks very much for your advice

IloveX-TINA: Thanks for posting what you think... It's nice to hear people actually enjoy my work for a change...

Sorrry this is just general banter, but I'm rushing (The Simpsons and Food...)

Jaffa
9th December 2003, 02:28 PM
I don't know how long I can be... This forum is goddamned schizo... My IP address keeps being banned and un-banned...

Here, as I promised is Chapter 2...

Run Rockets, Run!

Chapter 2: Fresh Start, New Revelations…

“Son?” came a voice “Son, are you alright?”
“F… Fa… Father?”
“Huh?!”
“Father… Father? FATHER?! FATHER!”
“Wha? Please, son, calm down!” soothed the voice “Wake up!”

Mackenzie opened his eyes, and was almost blinded by the tropical sunlight; he could smell the salty sea air; and he felt sludgy and wet…

“Eurgh, what happened?” Mack asked, sitting up and pulling off the seaweed and other sea-based objects that he had washed up with.

“Looks like you fell over-board and washed up here” came the voice, chuckling.

“Wah!” Mack screamed, “Who the hell are YOU?!”

“Whactha… Sonuva… getcha… My Heart!!” cried the voice.

The voice belonged to an old man, who was grasping his chest, going into a strange fit of sorts…

“OhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygod!” shouted Mack, beginning to panic.

The old man began hitting his chest, continuing with his strange spasms and outbursts… Slowing, Slowing, and eventually stopping and chuckling

“I… I’m alright,” he wheezed “My ticker’s not used to all this excitement.”

Mack got a proper look at this stranger. He looked pretty old. Balding, but had a long white beard. He was wearing shorts, a Hawaiian Shirt and sandals with socks.

“Someone call the fashion police!” Mack thought “This guy is a serial offender!”

“Where on Earth am I?” Mack asked the Old Man, looking around at the deserted beach. It was a Cove of sorts, with Palm trees surrounding them. A medium-sized Chalet Constructed out of Bamboo stood quite proud above the pure white sand behind them, and had a small path of laid out sea-shells leading towards it’s door.

“Hehehe!” chuckled the Old Man, “You’re on the beach 5 miles east of Mauville City! Towards the Mangroves…”

“Mauville?”

“The Electricity Capital of Hoenn, The home of Rydel’s Cycles, Wattson, the Game Corner and The Breeding Centre?”

“I’m in HOENN?!” gasped Mack, “Wow, I must have been pretty lucky to wash all the way up here…”

“Well,” sighed the Old Man, getting up “Whadda ya say we carry on this conversation inside, and we get you in some warm clothes!”

“That would be the best, thank you!” replied Mack, getting to his feet. “I’m Mackenzie, by the way, Mackenzie Blackwater”

“And I’m Bolton” the Old Man replied, extending his hand “It’s a shame we had to meet in such freak circumstances…”

“Agreed” nodded Mack, reaching out and shaking Bolton’s hand. “But, still, I’m glad I was found by such a ni…”

Mackenzie paused. He could hear something not far away. Sounded like something being dragged, along with… Rustling…

“Mackenzie?”

It was coming from the forest of palm trees, just a few feet from the chalet…

“Mackenzie… Anybody home?”

“What on earth is that? One of the Hoenn pokemon? Could be… No… NOW THERE’S TWO OF ‘EM!”

“Mackenzie!” spluttered Bolton

“What?!” asked Mack, still puzzled

“What’s wrong?” he wheezed

“Shush, listen!” Mack Whispered

The beach fell silent, apart from the lapping of the gentle waves against the shore, which was rhythmically disturbed by rustling, long drag, then a step with rustling, a long drag and a step…

“Either there’s something in the forest, or the heat is using my obsession of Resident Evil against me…” chuckled Mack.

“Nope, it’s not the heat” replied Bolton in a hushed tone, “I have lived here all my life and the heats never got to me, plus I’ve never heard of Resident Evil…”

“It’s a game about Zombies, now shush!” snapped Mack, still whispering. “Now there’s a third!”

“Whatever it is, it’s getting closer,” urged Bolton “We need to get in the Chalet!”

“No, WE’LL FIGHT!” cried Mack, grabbing for a Pokeball “GO VULPIX!”

And in a flash of light, a small red fox appeared in front of them, looking a little damp.

“Pix!” coughed the little fox. It shook rapidly, trying to dry off.

“It doesn’t look like that ball was very water-tight…” laughed Bolton “Plus you might want something a little more experienced”

And with that, Bolton reached into his beard and pulled out an Ultra Ball and a Net Ball and tossed them in the air…

“With a name like Bolton, They’re bound to be electric types…” Mack thought to himself.

And in a flash, out of the Ultra Ball the white light to shape into…

“DOOOOOOPH!”

“Okaaaaaaaaaay… A Donphan,” Mack thought to himself, “Well, the Net Ball probably got a Chinchou or Lanturn in it…”

And out of the Net Ball came a scary, freaky bug…

“Maaaasquer!” It cried, in a wispy and light voice…

“Oh my GOD!” cried Mack, “Is that that weird pokemon that evolves from that water/bug type? Umm… Siskurt… Kuskit… Riskurt…?”

“Let me save you the trouble,” sighed Bolton “Surskit, and it evolves into this, Masquerain!”

“Ooooh! That’s what it’s called!” exclaimed Mack “Sorry, I don’t know much about Hoenn Pokemon…”

Mackenzie paused, listening intently.

“Is stopping mid-sentence a habit of yours?” Bolton asked, sounding a bit annoyed.

“Shush!” hissed Mack “Whatever’s in there, it’s stopped!”

“Because ‘Whatever’s in there’ isn’t in there anymore!” gasped Bolton, pointing to three dark figures leaning out from behind the Chalet. “Go Masquerain, Use Sweet Scent to lure out whatever’s hiding over there!”

The small, moth-like creature fluttered its wings slightly as a small wave of pinkish powder floated towards the chalet.

“Mmm… Do you smell that?” sighed a female voice, which was surprisingly familiar, “It’s so sweet!”

“Whoever we heard screaming must have food,” exclaimed a very rough and scratchy voice.

“Well, what are we waiting for,” screeched another voice, another girl, but younger, “Let’s rush them and steal their food!”

“Okay, that’s the plan” confirmed the male voice, “On my count…

Mack looked at Bolton; an unimpressed smirk fell across his face as he folded his arms.

“One…!”

Mack raised his fingers and looked down at his nails

“Two…!”

He buffed them on the remainder of his opposite sleeve

“And……………”

“Three?” chirruped Mack, still concentrating on his nails.

On their mark the three figures leaped out, but instantly fell to the floor.

Bolton and Mack dashed towards the three revealed figures, and stared as they started to recover. They were facing towards the forest, and hadn’t noticed Mack, Bolton or the pokemon. The younger woman was Blond, and was wearing a strange Left-Half black, Right-Half White skirt, hat and Vest, and boots and gloves (On the Left they were black and the right, white.) the other two were in plain black uniforms. The woman with Long Orange/Ginger Hair that split into two ‘arms’, and the man had very short green hair with a Parted, long fringe

“Who on Earth said ‘Three’?” asked the older woman.

“Well it wasn’t me, Cassidy” screamed the younger, “And it was a nicer voice than Butch’s!”

“Hey, it’s not my fault I sound like this, Domino!”

They continued bickering until finally the very annoyed Donphan trumpeted with it’s nose…

The three went flying into the air, and landed back down with a thud, facing front.

Mack’s face lighted up…

“OH MY GOD!” He screamed, jumping down and hugging all three “YOU’RE ALIVE!”

“You know these people?” Bolton asked, looking very surprised

“Yeah, they’re my colleagues… Why?” asked Mack.

Bolton jumped back, screaming “Stay back, you devious scum!”

“What?!” asked Mack, feeling very confused at Bolton’s sudden shift in behaviour.

“Yer heard,” screamed Bolton “Stay back!”

Mack shot a puzzled look at Bolton, then looked back at his three colleagues, then looked down.

“Oh!” he gasped.

He had realised what had caused Bolton to become apprehensive. His uniform had torn so that the R on his shirt was no longer there, plus he had lost his hat. All three of his colleagues had their uniforms completely intact.

Mack jumped in quickly to explain “Listen, I can explain every…”

“Shut yer yap!” butted in Bolton, “I know your type, thieves, crooks and villains every last one of ya!”

“Bolton, STOP!” cried Mack “We’re not here to steal! And I take offence to that because I’m just a researcher who does a little bit of field work now and then to please the boss…”

“LIES!” wailed the Old man, “ALL LIES! NOW GET OFF MAH PROPERTY!”

“THEY’RE NOT!” screamed Domino, jumping up to Mack’s side “AND EVEN IF WE WERE TO STEAL YOUR POKEMON, WE COULDN’T DO ANYTHING BECAUSE THE BASE ON THE PEAKLIFF FORMATION BLEW UP BY ACCIDENT!”

Bolton stood there with a blank expression. The deafening silence gently broken by the soft waves rolling into the beach. Finally Mack swallowed and Spoke up.

“Accident?”

“Yes,” answered Butch, as he and Cassidy rose to join Mack and Domino. “An agent managed to pull you into the Helicopter before the explosion ripped the base apart!”

“In fact it knocked everyone but me, Butch and Domino from the Copter” interrupted Cassidy, “You are very lucky, you’re the only one who survived, and the only one who really knows what happened at the base!”

“We tried to make contact, just in case anyone else survived the blast!” added Domino.

“And you’ve had no luck…” sighed Mack

“How did you know?” asked Butch

“I’d rather not say now,” Mack answered, feeling slightly sick at the provoked memory of what really happened at the base. “But, I do know that I am now… I am now the… The new leader of Team Rocket”

“Well, whatever’s left of it” he thought to himself

“And…” he added “I hereby declare that Team Rocket shall end its criminal activities…” he said, putting particular emphasis on ‘End’.

“Jeez, You lot must have had a pretty rough ride,” Sympathised Bolton “And that was a noble thing to do, Mack.”

“Thank you…” mouthed Mack. He felt like he had used all strength.

“Why don’t the three of you come in to the chalet and we can sort you out?” he asked, putting his hand on Mack’s shoulder and leading the way.

“Thanks for trusting us, Bolton” said Mack, sounding relieved as he was lead into Bolton’s Tropical Chalet.

DannyBoy
9th December 2003, 03:40 PM
That was a surprising chapter. You did really good showing the different emotions going around. I thing I still don't understand is, is his father really dead? Because it sounds like a dream and then as it goes on he finds others and says the base exploded. THis is very mysterious. I liked it, keep it up!

mr_pikachu
9th December 2003, 11:03 PM
Well, this is certainly becoming ambiguous! First the "activities", then the "project", and now this! But I wonder how exactly Mack will change TR... and how that relates to the title you've created... interesting...

I did notice, however, that there were several sentences in a row where you forgot the period. Also, when you break up a quote with a comment in between, but a comma after the comment as well. For example...

"We should go to the store," Maggie said "because it's fun there."

...is wrong, because there is no comma separating the comment from the second half of the quote.

"We should go to the store," Maggie said, "because it's fun there."

...is correct.

See you at the next chapter! :wave:

mistysakura
10th December 2003, 12:25 AM
Great chapter. It was really surprising, with Cassidy, Butch and Domino meeting up with Mck and how he became the new boss of Team Rocket. I think that ending Team Rocket's criminal activities will make this fic very different from most Team Rocket fics. You've got a really original plot going.