PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Music

Heald
6th December 2003, 06:03 PM
What music from video games do you like? Hate?

Me, the Final Fantasy games have always had good music. Some N64 classics also had decent music, such as the Banjo games, Zelda and Goldeneye.

Lorelei
6th December 2003, 06:57 PM
Final Fantasy X-2 had addictive music... infact... I have downloaded the soundtracks and am listening right now. *hums*

*huggles Tidus* I like FFX music tooo... yup.

SageofLaughter
6th December 2003, 07:11 PM
The Final Fantasy games generally have fantastic music - I ADORE You're Not Alone.

Gitaroo Man also has some kick *** music (Flyin' To Your Heart and Overpass own my soul), as does Um Jammer Lammy and the original Parappa the Rapper.

Some games, while not having music you'll hum to yourself later, have music that perfectly suits the atmosphere of the game, good examples of this would be Otogi, Super Metroid and the Shenmue series.

Finally, Skies of Arcadia has some of the most beautiful and moving music I've ever heard.

HealdPK - You took your sig image from the 'Tribute to Ray Harryhausen' flash movie, right?

Strider
6th December 2003, 10:11 PM
The Wanderers of Ys series has some of the finest soundtracks ever. The Final Fantasy series has outstanding soundtracks as well.

Other excellent video game soundtracks are from the F-Zero series, all Megaman series, Metroid series, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, Silent Hill series, Brave Fencer Musashiden, Ragnarok Online, Einhänder, Battle Arena Toshinden 1 and 2, Gradius and any Konami shooters, Ikaruga and Raidiant Silvergun, Seiken Densetsu series, Contra series (particularly Shattered Soldier), Zelda series, Xeno series, Super Mario series, Sonic series...

The list goes on.. that's just a small fraction of my favorite soundtracks. ;o

Laz-E-Boy
6th December 2003, 10:49 PM
Ooh, let's see:

Tales of Phantasia
Sonic series
Megaman X series
Final Fantasy series
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Seiken Densetsu series (especially 3)
Metroid series
Legend of Zelda: Link to the past and OoT
Star Ocean
Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty

So much more...

Mewfour
6th December 2003, 10:57 PM
Personally, I've always liked music from the Megaman series. Storm Eagle's Theme. 'Nuff said.

Lezta
7th December 2003, 04:43 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog games have some very, very, cool music. :)

Heald
7th December 2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by SageofLaughter
HealdPK - You took your sig image from the 'Tribute to Ray Harryhausen' flash movie, right?

Actually, I found it on Google's image search as I was looking for some good desktop wallpaper. I finally decided that there weren't any good He-Man wallpapers so I chose the Sword of Omens from Thundercats when Lionel goes 'Eye of Thundera...give me sight beyond sight!'

Crazy
7th December 2003, 09:16 AM
Castlevania:Sympthony of the Night has some nice music.

Toxicity
7th December 2003, 11:29 AM
I have to admit that my favorite video game soundtrack is the music in .hack//Infection Part 1....^_^ I like the dungeon music for when your in a world of the water element, I like the forest level music also. The only thing I hate about the music is when you bring Piros along in your party and the main land music is replaced some weird music...>_>;;

I also like the music for LoZ, The Mario Party games, and Final Fantasy X...

The Prophet
7th December 2003, 03:28 PM
The Final Fantasies and Chrono series have excellent soundtracks. Couldn't tell you which ones I hate, though.

classy_cat18
7th December 2003, 09:00 PM
I love the music from Kingdom Hearts. In fact, I'm listening to it now!

Of all of the VG music I love right now, I would just dumb it down to everything they decided to put on Super Smash Bros. Melee. I have the orchestra version of that soundtrack, too!

Metallix
11th December 2003, 09:55 AM
Lurking as usual, but I just couldn't resist posting in this thread. :D

Sonic series
Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (Not 3, the music in it sucked)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. (Some real classics there)
Soul Calibur 1 and 2

*Goes back to lurking*

kurai
11th December 2003, 11:53 AM
I like virtually all video game music, and that is pretty much all I have been listening to lately - though I haven't been listening to the OSTs, I've been playing a complete rip of the overclocked remix collection on shuffle/repeat for a few weeks.. if you didn't know about the site (http://ocremix.org), they have some amazing remixes of video game music from every platform and many, many games.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
12th December 2003, 01:30 AM
Wow, the site kurai posted makes even the worst video game music sound good.

As far as original soundtracks are concerned, Mario themes are classics.

Also something already mentioned, I like Final Fantasy series music too, mostly from VII since it's the one I have played through. A great introduction to the classical genre for video game players.

GreenShirT
12th December 2003, 10:21 AM
I'm liking the music from Final Fantasy 7 while playing through it, also the music on Budokai 2 is funky.
I cant think of any music that really annoys me from a game though.